• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a recommendation for target scope

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
A while back I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be shooting any tactical or 1k matches so I traded my rifle.
Now I have a new toy. I picked up an Anschutz Match 64 .22 rifle, and am looking for a scope.
I am not really up on target scopes. I know I want target knobs but don't know if they are necessary for a .22. I do know I need more magnification than in a tactical scope- over 20x? I also need/want fine crosshairs/duplex, not a dort reticle.
Since I won't be shooting the .22 at long range a 1" tube should be fine- I won't need much elevation.
I found a Docter Optics 4.5x14x40, used for $500.00 but I am not sure if that is what I need. It sounds like a great scope, but I think it is more of a tactical scope than a target scope.
I was in Cabela's and found a leupold VXII 6.5x20x40 with target turrets for about the same money.

Any recommendations? Nikon Monarch? I wouldn't mind saving money- more ammo.

Jim

Re: Need a recommendation for target scope

I've seen quite few use the 36X Weaver and after looking through one, for paper it's a great scope.

The only problem is that I may shoot a sillouette match, and I seriously doubt I could hold a 36x scope steady while standing.
If I found a Weaver T-24 i would probably jump on it though.
I don't want to settle, and I can use the iron aperture sights until I find a scope.

Jim

After a lot of research I just bought a Weaver V16 with the fine crosshair dot reticle for $300 for my CZ452.

I haven't used it yet, but just looking though it, boresighting it in the backyard and messing with the target knobs I'm pretty hopeful that I bought the right thing.

There is a Weaver V-16 sitting ontop of one of the annies I shoot. Great scope for the money.