• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help flying with a firearm

BANG...ping

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2017
Hi all,
I will flying to a match for the first time. I have not purchased a ticket yet, but it will likely be Delta, United, or American. I have read the airline policy and it seems pretty simple, hard case, unloaded / separate from ammo, bring it right to baggage counter, Etc. Is there anybody who can give me some pointers learned from experience? Any airline I should avoid? Are they picky about how they want ammunition packaged (I know Delta has an 11 pound max) or labeled? I am just trying to avoid a last minute headache. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Bang

I've flown a lot with rifles. Just make sure it's in a secure and sturdy case that when locked cannot be accesses from one end or the other--meaning if you have a combo lock on one end of your case and the other end doesn't have a lock, and you can kind of open the case and get to the gun, that's not allowed. They want the case to be secure so that even if the latches fail the combo lock will keep it secure. Usually this means having a lock on both ends of the rifle length case.

Also, the baggage check attendant will make you sign a card verifying that the gun is unloaded etc., and you are to place this card in the case with the firearm.

Once you check the bag they will either run the case thru an X-ray or open it and visually inspect the contents. During this time you stand by the counter until they tell you it's ok to proceed to your gate. This usually takes between 5-10 minutes.

if a pistol needs to go, just tuck it in your waist band gangster style and go, they will know you are a good guy and let it slide......

Your ammo can be in the same case, just can not be in the gun, I am not sure on weight as I am not flying to a high round match. There are arguments out there it can even be in magazines and I carry in nice plastic bullet cases. -Just stories I am guessing
In Denver, the guy will walk you down to get the X-ray, then walk back to drop it on a a secure (?sure?) baggage conveyor.

Have fun at the match.

Last edited:
Your ammo can be in the same case, just can not be in the gun, I am not sure on weight as I am not flying to a high round match. There are arguments out there it can even be in magazines

Not an argument

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

I've flown more than a few times with a handgun in checked luggage (with the intention of carrying it at my destination) and the ammo I need for it goes in the magazines, which go in the Pelican box with the pistol.

Regardless of the airline and regardless of the airport, I've always been successful.

I mostly fly Southwest.
Rifle and mags in pelican case
Ammo in Pelican in plastic ammo boxes-11lbs max
Two non-TSA, keyed, locks
Fill out and sign your declaration, insert it into your case, lock it and send it on it's way.

Last edited:
Thanks Pirate for posting the rules as written.

I have heard stories if people running into issues with ammo in mags. I know stories......

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE TSA locks the gun case *BEFORE* it goes on the conveyor belt. I've had a few instances where they didn't relock the case and almost put it on the conveyor belt unlocked. Watch them like a hawk!

I flew Southwest earlier this year. I went to the airport a week or two before I left and talked to southwest agents and TSA. I used 4 master lock 4 digit combination locks. No ammo(friend drove it). Showed up early. Unlocked the case for them, declared the firearm and signed the paper. I locked it back up. I had the bolt out on mine to make it obvious it was unloaded. They took it and I didn’t see it until it was at my final destination. I had one layover and it made it there fine. Coming back, two rifles and a bunch of luggage didn’t make the connection but they made the following flight. Talk about nervous.

There's a fair bit of bad advice in this thread.

The locks should be standard padlocks, key or combo, your choice. They can NOT be "TSA Approved" locks. You, and only you, retain control over access to the keys and case. It is illegal for TSA to open the case if you are not present. This is stated very clearly in the TSA regulations. Print out a copy of them, read them, and keep a copy with you in your carry on bag in case you need to reference it or politely inform a TSA/airline rep that they are wrong.

I recommend NOT flying Delta unless you have to. The guy that shot up Ft. lauderdale airport flew Delta, so as a response, Delta has gone overboard on security including zip tying all luggage containing firearms. It is illegal for an airline to mark any luggage containing a firearm, but guess what, only firearms get a zip tie. Do the math. I have had the smoothest and best experiences checking firearms on Southwest.

There's no point in bothering with chamber flags, removing bolts, or any other shenanigans to "prove" its unloaded. The only person who "checks" whether your firearm is unloaded are the actual ticket counter attendants. I have checked guns 30-40 times and literally never encountered a single agent who has given any indication that they know the first thing about firearms. Not one has ever inspected a chamber to confirm my claim of it being unloaded.

Mags can be loaded according to TSA regs, but some airlines (Delta, I think) prohibit it. Check with your airline. Print out their specific regulation sheet and bring it with you in your carry on bag. If you are flying with loaded mags, make sure you pack your case so the mags aren't lying directly on top of the magwell/chamber. Remember, a
n X ray shows a 2 dimensional image. It can look like the mag is inserted in the magwell on film, even though it's sitting in an entirely different compartment in your case.

Get a bright post it note and write your First name, last initial, and your cell number on it. I usually write something like "Please don't cut my locks, just call me: 123-867-5309. Thank You!" Use packing tape and tape the post-it to the outside of the case so that TSA can contact you. Some airports have a dedicated scanner for firearms. Other airports just send your bag into the regular queue. If your bag goes off down the regular conveyor belt, the smart move is to wait near the ticket counter for 10-15 minutes to ensure TSA doesn't have any questions or want to inspect something manually. If they do, they will call your cell that you have taped to the case. If they can't get in touch with you, they will cut the locks, inspect, and then just close your luggage and send it through unlocked. It's never happened to me, but a buddy had his locks cut with no notification and the bag transported unlocked. Two AICS magazines were missing at his destination.

TSA regs say 11 lbs of ammo, but I have never once had my ammo weighed. YMMV.

Definitely DO NOT use TSA locks, it is specifically spelled out in TSA guidelines that gun case locks are not to be TSA style locks, as in ONLY YOU CAN HAVE ACCESS TO THE GUN. According to the TSA regs the case has to be "locked hard sided container." I have ran into issues where using a Storm i3300 I didn't have a lock for EACH INDIVIDUAL LOCK POINT ON THE CASE, I only had two locks, one on each end. but the case was clearly secure, ie: you could not get the rifle out of the case with those two locks. TSA supervisor was insisting that each lock point on the case needed a lock, Airline ticket agent/baggage handler was saying as long as secure: ie gun couldn't come out of the case without the locks being opened/compromised, then it was good to go. Took a while but Airline dude was able to convince TSA that there was guidelines out there, follow them.

Definitely DO NOT use TSA locks, it is specifically spelled out in TSA guidelines that gun case locks are not to be TSA style locks, as in ONLY YOU CAN HAVE ACCESS TO THE GUN.

Damn right
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.

It's right there in plain english. I don't GAF what "someone" was told by "some TSA agent" at "some airport". You do not use TSA locks to secure firearms. Not only is it the rule, it's common fucking sense.

I'm going to edit my post. Obviously, I was CLEARLY mistaken.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. Lots of good information.
Bang.

So ammo can or cannot be included in the same case as the gun? And if you don’t check a second bag, Is it allowed in your carry on?

On Southwest ammo can be included with the gun but it must be in an ammo-specifc container....that could be the manufacturers cardboard box or an aftermarket plastic ammo box.
Not sure about ammo in a locked suitcase

The locks should be standard padlocks, key or combo, your choice. They can NOT be "TSA Approved" locks. You, and only you, retain control over access to the keys and case. It is illegal for TSA to open the case if you are not present. This is stated very clearly in the TSA regulations. Print out a copy of them, read them, and keep a copy with you in your carry on bag in case you need to reference it or politely inform a TSA/airline rep that they are wrong.

I recommend NOT flying Delta unless you have to. The guy that shot up Ft. lauderdale airport flew Delta, so as a response, Delta has gone overboard on security including zip tying all luggage containing firearms. It is illegal for an airline to mark any luggage containing a firearm, but guess what, only firearms get a zip tie. Do the math. I have had the smoothest and best experiences checking firearms on Southwest.

There's no point in bothering with chamber flags, removing bolts, or any other shenanigans to "prove" its unloaded. The only person who "checks" whether your firearm is unloaded are the actual ticket counter attendants. I have checked guns 30-40 times and literally never encountered a single agent who has given any indication that they know the first thing about firearms. Not one has ever inspected a chamber to confirm my claim of it being unloaded.

Mags can be loaded according to TSA regs, but some airlines (Delta, I think) prohibit it. Check with your airline. Print out their specific regulation sheet and bring it with you in your carry on bag. If you are flying with loaded mags, make sure you pack your case so the mags aren't lying directly on top of the magwell/chamber. Remember, a
n X ray shows a 2 dimensional image. It can look like the mag is inserted in the magwell on film, even though it's sitting in an entirely different compartment in your case.

Get a bright post it note and write your First name, last initial, and your cell number on it. I usually write something like "Please don't cut my locks, just call me: 123-867-5309. Thank You!" Use packing tape and tape the post-it to the outside of the case so that TSA can contact you. Some airports have a dedicated scanner for firearms. Other airports just send your bag into the regular queue. If your bag goes off down the regular conveyor belt, the smart move is to wait near the ticket counter for 10-15 minutes to ensure TSA doesn't have any questions or want to inspect something manually. If they do, they will call your cell that you have taped to the case. If they can't get in touch with you, they will cut the locks, inspect, and then just close your luggage and send it through unlocked. It's never happened to me, but a buddy had his locks cut with no notification and the bag transported unlocked. Two AICS magazines were missing at his destination.

I'd listen to him. It's been awhile since I've flown, but when I did it was with firearms and ammunition. Never had a problem, but I was always present when TSA did their check and I kept the keys. Flown with multiple firearms too, same as one really. They still wanted the bolt assy. removed like they did back in the day, maybe it was that airline. Not having a layover is best too. Your rifle will get "lost" along with all the other baggage and you'll have to wait x number of days to go pick it up at their office. Not having a case that says "rifle" is a good idea too, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

Just walk up the counter and say, "I have a gun"; just make sure not to wait too long to follow it up with "I'd like to check it in, please"!

For whatever reason, Southwest at LAX wants locks on every locking point of a rifle case. I have tried looking for a rule or reg to counter the TSA supervisor's rule that two locks is not secure.

Smoothy, I have ran into the same thing once. I was flying with my rifle in a dragbag inside a Storm i3300, I had locks on 2 of the 4 lock points. TSA supervisor was insisting that each lock point needed a lock. I had the TSA reg pulled up on my phone showing the TSA supervisor that nowhere in the posted guidelines was it mentioned each lock point needing a lock, only "the container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted." The airline ticket agent agreed with me and asked for the guidance that the TSA guy was going off of saying each point needed a lock. TSA supervisor said "it is a memo we are operating off of", ticket agent went and grabbed another TSA dude who came over and conferred with the Supervisor, they talked for a few minutes then asked if I would demonstrate that the case was secure with only two of the four lock points locked. I popped the latches, tugged and pried and dicked around with it for a minute showing them there was no way a drag bag with a rifle inside it would come out of a half inch wide opening. They decided that it was in fact secure and allowed it through. I got lucky that common sense finally prevailed and it was the under ranking dude who convinced the supervisor to let it fly. After that trip I simply throw 4 locks on it to avoid the hassle, some fights aren't worth fighting.

Out of curiosity, as I've never checked a firearm before, is it ok to carry on the bolt? I'm the guy who takes his bolt down range to check targets. Nothing worse than being shot by your own rifle..

but it is a bolt allowed as a carry on?

I feel safer knowing even even if the case is opened and ammo was brought along (assuming none in the case) that the rifle is "inert" unless the criminal happens to have a bolt too...

Out of curiosity, as I've never checked a firearm before, is it ok to carry on the bolt? I'm the guy who takes his bolt down range to check targets. Nothing worse than being shot by your own rifle..

but it is a bolt allowed as a carry on?

I feel safer knowing even even if the case is opened and ammo was brought along (assuming none in the case) that the rifle is "inert" unless the criminal happens to have a bolt too...

Only checked baggage,no carry on.
  • "Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage."

Well shit. I will edit my above post.
I read all that stuff before flying and must just be retarded. I had a small Pelican with a pistol stuffed in my bag and did lock the bag with a TSA lock.

That's interesting. A firing pin could be inside a ball point pen casing...

anywsy, I could check the bolt separate from the rifle.
It was late and I was curious. No plans to fly with firearms any time soon.

Not an argument

I've flown more than a few times with a handgun in checked luggage (with the intention of carrying it at my destination) and the ammo I need for it goes in the magazines, which go in the Pelican box with the pistol.

Regardless of the airline and regardless of the airport, I've always been successful.

While the TSA regs state its fine and you have had personal success, please make it clear that the airlines regulations matter more than the TSA's. TSA might say its fine, but Delta states rounds can not be touching which means no go on the mag. I have flown 4 times now and no one has even bothered to check the ammo, but that doesn't mean I will risk using a mag when I have room for an ammo box.

Give yourself an extra hour to go through the check in process, Especially in SFO!
Delta will put a very thick zip lock around your case and will ask for proof of ID before hand delivering the case to you at the oversized baggage door. If you are checking pistol it is easier to check the firearm case separately instead of putting the case inside another checked bag.
The TSA will not inspect your firearm. They will swab the outside of the case and will have you unlock and crack open the case to allow them to slip a firearm placard inside the case. You will keep the keys on you at all times. If the TSA needs to inspect the case further they will come find you at your gate.
Ammo cannot be loose, it needs to be in a secure box. I am not sure if the ammo can be packed inside the same case as the firearm. I usually pack the ammo inside another checked bag.

Thanks for the info. Gonna fly with my rifle soon.

My day job is with an airline and I travel for trigger time every chance I get. Most of the info here is on point. 11lbs for ammo, never had someone weigh it but I'm sure some counter agent who's having a bad day or who's anti gun can make your day difficult because the scale is right there. Most airlines have the policy of no loose rounds, so mags, boxes of cardboard or plastic are good to go. Definitely bring copies of the regs because you may encounter someone who doesn't know the policy. Also, per TSA policy and common sense, use only key or combo locks that the TSA has no access to unless it's through you. Short of airline specific policies, feel free to message me if you need some further info.

So ammo can or cannot be included in the same case as the gun? And if you don’t check a second bag, Is it allowed in your carry on?

Ammo in gun case: Yes per TSA rules. Airlines can have more restrictive policies, you need to check those too.

Ammo in carry on: NFW