• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help with bad gunbroker purchase

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
i purchased a revolver off of gunbroker and it was advertised as in good condition i recieved it a few days ago and it looks like it have been beeten to hell and when you cock the hamer back about 1/4th of the time it will fire without pulling the trigger i took the grip off to find rust inderneath i contacted the seller and he claims that i screwed with the gun and refuses to take it back i want to know what my options are because i dont wont to pay out of pocket to have it repaired and i am not about to keep a unsafe gun i havent had much luck with finding info on the gunbroker site any info would help thanks guys

Re: need help with bad gunbroker purchase

my problem is the gun was 2k and the 400 wont cover the repairs

Aside from the Buyer Protection, GunBroker has online tools for filing a fraud claim against the seller via GunBroker. See here for info on filing a Fraud Report (you'll need to login once you get to the link below):

https://www.gunbroker.com/ShowLogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Auction/FraudReport.aspx

Also, how did you pay for the revolver? Depending on the method of payment, you have options as to additional remedies (i.e. - if it was by CC, you can go to your card company and proceed with filing a complaint/fraud charge/attempt to get your money back through them...they'll then go after the seller. Another example would be if you paid via USPS Money Orders...the PO takes mail fraud VERY seriously and $2k may be just enough to get on their radar screen).

yep usps money order has anyone gone through similar hoops how would i get this started

A nice note from your lawyer about your intent to sue for the damages may be a motivator as well.

I am not a fan of lawsuits for everything, but it is reasonable if goods were not properly delivered after payment was rendered. $2K generally isn't enough to go to the trouble of having a lawyer file the suit, but you can still have them send a letter, then file the suit yourself in small claims.

i would hate to have it come to that but i basically got a go fuck yourself email from him so i just might have to

Once I bought a gun from a custom smith in Colorado
It never worked for crap and had all kinds of problems
I sent it back twice and finally I heard nothing for 1.5 years (I was patient and stupid)
Finally I had an attorney write him a letter threatening to sue in Federal Court....

Got my money in 2 weeks full refund.
He did not want to hire a lawyer and have to go to an out of state federal court...very expensive..

what is the estimated cost to have a lawyer write a letter

It depends on lawyers in your area, but around here it generally costs $150-$200 for an initial meeting to discuss options and then sending a letter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the estimated cost to have a lawyer write a letter </div></div>

Everyone should make friends with a lawyer for instances such as these!!!
wink.gif

That said, an initial consultation with an attorney about a possible case against this douchebag should be free. After that, I'd bet on an attorney charging you an hourly rate based on the "relatively" low value of a case like this. From there, I'd say an average would be somewhere between $150-200/hr. with a basic "make it right or we'll sue your ass" letter taking about 30min. of attorney time depending on the attorney.

You ought to check with the SAF and see if they have a ND attorney in their referral database who might be "gun-friendly" enough to write a short letter for you without charge. You can call them at 1-800-426-4302 (again...this is the Second Amendment Foundation's lawyer referral service).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the estimated cost to have a lawyer write a letter </div></div>

Everyone should make friends with a lawyer for instances such as these!!!
wink.gif

That said, an initial consultation with an attorney about a possible case against this douchebag should be free. After that, I'd bet on an attorney charging you an hourly rate based on the "relatively" low value of a case like this. From there, I'd say an average would be somewhere between $150-200/hr. with a basic "make it right or we'll sue your ass" letter taking about 30min. of attorney time depending on the attorney.

You ought to check with the SAF and see if they have a ND attorney in their referral database who might be "gun-friendly" enough to write a short letter for you without charge. You can call them at 1-800-426-4302 (again...this is the Second Amendment Foundation's lawyer referral service).
</div></div>

ORD you are the man

be sure to post updates as you go if you decide to pursue this. i am sure you are not the first and will not be the last to go through this. posting the sellers gunbroker id is something to consider......

Let us know what happens. Many of us deal with GunBroker and it is always nice to hear personal stories from other members about their experiences when troubles occur. Best of luck to you though.

his feedback prior to the sale was fine but i posted feedback just after i got it and i briefly glanced at the gun and it wont allow me to change it now i guess you live and you learn

+1 on updates as they come please. I've passed on a few used deals that seemed too good to be true in fear of getting ripped off (not on this site). Hope this gets resolved for you

Cost of lawyer letter is ueually one hr of time..
my Lawyer charged $250..my location..where U live may be cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You ought to check with the SAF and see if they have a ND attorney in their referral database who might be "gun-friendly" enough to write a short letter for you without charge. You can call them at 1-800-426-4302 (again...this is the Second Amendment Foundation's lawyer referral service).
</div></div>

Good information to have around.

Let us know how it turns out.

i am going to file a claim with gunbroker after the 30 day waiting period that will help me get 400 back and i guess i will have to settle for that.

Man, Seems like this is becoming a trend on GB! Don't think I will be making any purchases any time soon on there.

If you don't mind me asking... What kind of pistol was it? Was it an antique? If there's any way I can help I would be more than happy to. I'm not a certified Gunsmith but I've had pretty good success troubleshooting malfunctioning pistols. Maybe it's something you can fix yourself if you know what's wrong. I'm going through a similar situation but not as bad as yours. My seller is pissed at me for sending the rifle back and UPS leaving It out in the rain. He's holding up my refund and it's getting pretty annoying.

Wow! Isn't that one of their new Big-Boys? I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with those. But it seems to me that someone might be inclined to lighten the trigger so as not to flinch when they fire that monster. Strange that you found rust. I thought they were all Stainless. Although I guess the hammer spring and other internal parts probably aren't Stainless. Man, I'm sorry. The best course of action is probably through Gunbroker. If you file a fraud claim you can't do it until 30 days have passed since the auction ended. But you can't let it go past 60 days either. I hope they resolve this for you.

Oh... And make sure you keep every correspondence you've had with the seller. If you haven't contacted Gunbroker yet do it ASAP. The more on top of this you are, the more likely they are to take it seriously.