• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors need input on a used P220 - got questions

gorhamlit

wish I was one of the kool kids...
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
N.W. Georgia
I bought a USED P220 from my friends' dad(he don't know JAK!). I shot it, it jammed 2X per clip, and that was 3 clips of wolk steel case target, and three clips brass case winX, I looked at it, it was dirtier than $h1t, heard a lot of good things about SIGs, figured, eh...dirty, bad dirty, maybe an extractor, maybe needs a new spring kit....I bought it anyway...-worth the risk???

I broke it down, D Oh Double down, to the springs, eX pin, cleaned everything. Even checked the little nook in the crook of the EX pin, took it out a few days later, and ran 3 clips of WinX target 230 grain, I had 1 jam outta 21 rounds. BY JAM, I mean a spent cartridge did not come out all the way of the chamber before the ex Pin let go leaving spent round partially in chamber, and tries to reload a new round into the chamber, jamming into the spent round .

I called SIG USA, and they were helpful and not. I asked if they could tell me some specs on the pin and chamber, and they said NO. That was proprietary information. (--ok-- I mean, what do you do???) They would sell me parts.

I picked up most of my brass from my firing after cleaning. A lot of them had "dings" in the side walls, as the best I can figure, are from them being slung out of the chamber so hard they are hitting the slide exit port.

I pulled the barrel, and test fit a live round. I thought it was a little wobbly (IMHO, but then I don't have the specs). The SIG USA tech did say that it would void the warranty to shoot steel case ammo. I am thinking that previous owner(s) shot steel case, and worn out the chamber...that might account for all symptoms I have observed. Also, I have seen some carbonization on the outside of some of the spent brass, like there was not a good seal around the brass and the firing chamber wall.

I know the ultimate answer...send it in and let the pro's diagnose, but I like knowing and acquiring my own facts first. My micrometer won't reach into the chamber like I want, and besides, I do not know the specs on a new factory tube. I'd buy the right tool for "miking" my chamber, but I don't know the specs.

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to to shot this THANG, for fun and maybe an occasional competition for fun, but who would really want to deal with jams in that scenario?

BTW- when I tested it(pre-purchase), it would jam twice in one clip(7 rnd), and that was 3 clips of Wolf steel case, and 3 clips winchester X target ammo brass case.
>>>After cleaning, I had one jam in three clips of brass ammo, with some cases dinged in the side wall, and some with carbonization on the outside case walls.

Debating on selling it, finding something else. I don't mind fixing it, but I don't want to spend more on it than its worth. If any one has actual spec's on a Sig Sauer P220, I would much appreciate that! Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Re: need input on a used P220 - got questions

I would bet your problem most likely is a bad extractor or extractor tension. If there are no obvious burrs elsewhere, I would start by replacing the extractor. Depending on the date of manufacture, it has one of two different extractors. I have two of 220's, one older made in W.Germany and an American one. The German one is the better of the two but both eat anything I put in them. That said, I don't shoot the steel case stuff as it is obviously harder on the chamber surface.

seen no burrs. Signs of wear look to be of 'normal use'. I suspect it was a service weapon. The proof mark indicates it is a 94', and is marked made in W.German.
I may have slightly tougher finger tips than most (ex-rock climber) and I can push my extractor back with my finger tip.
I know that dont mean alot, but don't think I can do that with my 1911(and it's a WWII model-US army issue). I'll check.

Thanks deputy.

some pistols do NOT like wolf ammo. my Gold Cup hates it. have you tried another mfg of ammo?

maybe something a little hotter.

also, if it failed during your testing, why did you go ahead with the purchase?

tedbiv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tedbiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some pistols do NOT like wolf ammo. my Gold Cup hates it. have you tried another mfg of ammo?

maybe something a little hotter.

also, if it failed during your testing, why did you go ahead with the purchase?

tedbiv </div></div>

as in my original post- I heard good things about sigs, it was dirty with a lot of carbon residue, and thought that MIGHT be the problem so I'd rolled the dice...I shot wolf steel case 220 grain, and Win X 230 Grain Target ammo in the pre-purchase test(see above).

I bought it, cleaned it and shot 3 clips in the Win X 230 grain Target ammo, again. Performance after thourough cleaning = 6:1 improvement....I also got a pretty good deal on it. I won't mind purchasing another extractor pin (I'll put it in my self).

I will try my best to remember to test the spring rate on the old and the new extractor, for information purposes...maybe that would be of some help to the group who may run across a similar occurrence.

Does the mag's look in good shape. My try a new mag out. Most jamming problems I've seen could lead back to the mag. But maybe not by the failure you stated. You maybe able to get a Sig dealer to mic the inside diameter of the chamber for you.

I love the 220. I 've got a new 220r with factory laser grips and its spot on. Before that I had an older model like yours and had similar problems. As always it came back to the clips. Polishing the feed ramp helped too. Good luck. Its a great gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the mag's look in good shape. My try a new mag out. Most jamming problems I've seen could lead back to the mag. But maybe not by the failure you stated. You maybe able to get a Sig dealer to mic the inside diameter of the chamber for you.
</div></div>

Thats a good point about the mags.
yeah, the mags look good to me. It wouldn't hurt to buy another clip to compare to those that came with it.

well... like I said, cleaning the gun reduced jamming from 6 to 1 (in three clips), but it could be there are several little factors causing the problem. Like the fact it was real dirty with carbon build up.

I did find yet another forum where a 'smith' recommended removing the extractor and working it a little with a hammer to give it a little more grip. The advice appearently taken, adjusting the Xpin by 2 mils, and it worked(or at least improve performance to the user satisfaction).

I may try "adjusting" Xpin before I buy another. replacing it was one of my main considerations....

And yeah, the CS @ SIG was real generous with the "send it and we can check it out for you..." which, they are the pro's-no doubt there. But if I can replace the Xpin, or tweak a clip myself, I'd rather do it just because I can.

I'd love to get my hands on a new P220 and mike it head to toe. Wouldn't that be cool....

Thanks KHOOKS

Being an older service gun with unknown round count, I would respring it as well. Springs are cheap and Sig springs really last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deputy1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being an older service gun with unknown round count, I would respring it as well. Springs are cheap and Sig springs really last. </div></div>

heh heh, that being said, I bet you don't have any 'flop' of your hammer? I have tried dry firing to check myself for flinching, and I notice that mine hammer has a small bit of 'flop' (it was worse before cleaning)- I especially noticed this if the gun is pointing downward, and the trigger bar doesn't seem to 'catch' after dry firing..kind of...some times.

hear that? Sounds like I should replace the springs

Thanks Deputy