• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need some help picking a good lube

unluckyjohn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2011
Houston Texas
hi,
im reloading with a lee classic kit for 308 win for those of you who don't know the kit only re-sizes the neck of the case. i was thinking this stuff will work
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32854/Product/Imperial-Dry-Neck-Lube
i don't know if i should even be lubing the cases.

also i could use help picking a caliper i'm not looking for the top of the line thing just something that will work i was looking at this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019O6OCO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

thank you for your help

Re: need some help picking a good lube

and if it needs lube, I've had good luck w/ the Lee sizing lube, mixed w/ rubbing alcohol, put it in an old plastic coffee can, add brass and shake.

Your cases will benefit from the Sinclair neck lube. Seems odd that people who admittedly don't know what loading kit you're using still presume to give you 'advice' on how to do it.

That $10 caliper is a bargian and it looks identical to most Chinese models, it will probably do you very well. I have a few Chinese calipers from Harbor Freight Tools that work as well and are just as accurate as my vastly more exensive professonal grade calipers.

IMHO any time two pieces of metal are pressing together under force some sort of lube is required, super accurate ammo can and is made all the time from brass that is FL resized every time, get yourself a quality FL die, and some Imperial Sizing Wax.

I have tried many, many different types & kinds of lube. If you never want any problems simply Imperial Sizing Wax. End of problem.

Yeah i tried the hornady case lube didn't like it. Went with the imperial and never looked back its good stuff.

"Yeah i tried the hornady case lube didn't like it."

You used "the" Hornady case lube? They sell two; which did you use and not like?

imperial sizing wax or home made lube from Liquid Lanolin and Isopropyl Alcohol
all you will ever need

I use generic Pam cooking spray made from Canola oil. Does not take much and a can lasts forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried many, many different types & kinds of lube. If you never want any problems simply Imperial Sizing Wax. End of problem.</div></div>

+1. Amen, end of story.

Imperial Sex Wax all the way

noticed several people recommending imperial. Are you guys using that for neck sizing or just full length?

Full length for me. I don't need lube for neck sizing (carbide neck bushing).

I like the Frankford Arsenal/Midway and Dillon spray lubes. They're basically the same. I made my own recently and like it very well - 99% isopropyl, lanolin, and a little castor oil. I got the solid lanolin before I knew about the liquid stuff. So my recipe is more like the Frankford Arsenal stuff in that you have to shake it. I think Dillon is made with liquid lanolin as you don't have to shake it.

I just got some imperial to try with my Larry Willis belted magnum die - it's what he recommends and it's cheap. And everyone here seems to love it!

I tried some Hornady one shot and got a stuck case 7 cases in (albeit full length sizing). I tried imperial sizing wax after seeing it recommended so much on here and now I will never use anything else. Just flat out works and works well.

I use Imperial when case forming and Hornady one shot for FL sizing.
I found the best way to use the one shot is to stand up all my brass on a sheet of cardboard & lightly spray from different directions and let all the solvent in the spray dry off the cases before I run them up in the die.