• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need Suggestions on DBM for Remmy 700 5r Milspec - stock

acemonster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi all. I'm looking to install a DBM on my stock 5r Milspec and I don't want to swap the stock. I'd also like to keep any inletting as minimal as possible. Could someone recommend a few? I've seen HS, Wyatt, Badger, but really need some real-life input from you guys.

My gun specs are:

Mods and Installs:
Seekins Precision 20 MOA Base
Seekins 30mm Medium rings
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm EBR-MRAD
Harris Bi-Pod 6-9 Notched HBRS with a Pod-Loc

Ammo:
Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr Sierra MatchKing
Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr Sierra MatchKing
Hornaday 308 Win 168 gr BTHP Match

Accessories:
Caldwell DeadShot Boxed Front and Rear Bags
Voodoo Tactical 15-7614 Enhanced 46-inch MOLLE Compatible Soft Rifle Case
BoreStores Silicone Treated Scoped Rifle Storage Case, SRC-2
Past Mag Plus Recoil Shield
Blackhawk Hawktek Tactical Cheek Pad
Butler Creek Flip-Open Eyepiece Scope Cover
Butler Creek Flip-Open Objective Scope Cover
B+W 52mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) (for objective lens protection at range)

Thanks!

-Ace

PTG is a good way to go, but it does take some inletting. You should be able to find a local builder to do the inletting for a nominal fee. Unless you're a machinist I would not attempt it.

Send your gun to CDI precision gunworks and have them install their bottom metal with an AICS mag. You could also send them just the stock and they will inlet it for a little bit less and you will have to do some minor fitup when you get it.

Send your gun to CDI precision gunworks and have them install their bottom metal with an AICS mag. You could also send them just the stock and they will inlet it for a little bit less and you will have to do some minor fitup when you get it.

I checked out their site and it appears as though they could send the whole setup to my FFL, where I can have it inletted. Do you suppose much smithing is needed? The 5R comes with an HS Grey stock, which I think takes very little effort to make these DBMs fit. True?

-Ace

I just used the HS Precision DBM on my HS stock. It's pretty much just a drop-in. You may have to clear a little material in one spot but that just takes about 1min with a file. But be warned, additional mags are expensive and sometime harder to find in-stock.

I checked out their site and it appears as though they could send the whole setup to my FFL, where I can have it inletted. Do you suppose much smithing is needed? The 5R comes with an HS Grey stock, which I think takes very little effort to make these DBMs fit. True?

-Ace

I just had a PTG installed in the same stock, and there is more to it than what it looks like. Look at it this way the money spent having it done right is cheaper than replacing a butchered stock. I would try to find someone local (or close) to take the whole gun to, that way they can make it feeds correctly right off the bat. If you can't find a local I would still send the whole thing and you can send it directly to a licensed gunsmith and they can send it directly back to you without involving an FFL per ATF regulations.

Trust me...do it right the first time.

I just had a PTG installed in the same stock, and there is more to it than what it looks like. Look at it this way the money spent having it done right is cheaper than replacing a butchered stock. I would try to find someone local (or close) to take the whole gun to, that way they can make it feeds correctly right off the bat. If you can't find a local I would still send the whole thing and you can send it directly to a licensed gunsmith and they can send it directly back to you without involving an FFL per ATF regulations.

Trust me...do it right the first time.

Ok - so I'm going to look at either the PTG or CDI, since both use AICS mags (which I hear are preferable of the HS proprietary ones. However, if I choose to send it anywhere, I cannot receive it directly because I live in NY and we have the SAFE act (has to go to FFL).

I have a local gunshop in Huntington that I hear does pretty good work - I'll ask them.

Stogie, any issues with the HS one? They are saying backordered and can't give me a time.

Thanks guys.

If you just send your stock to CDI for in letting there's really not much to fitting the mag release when you get it back.

Stogie, any issues with the HS one? They are saying backordered and can't give me a time.

Thanks guys.

I ordered from Sniper Country PX over the weekend, it shipped on Monday and I received it Wednesday.

I have a buddy who sent me one when I couldn't initially find one for sale online. I'm going to send it back to him but I can see if he wants to sell it.

Last edited:
Ok - so I'm going to look at either the PTG or CDI, since both use AICS mags (which I hear are preferable of the HS proprietary ones. However, if I choose to send it anywhere, I cannot receive it directly because I live in NY and we have the SAFE act (has to go to FFL).

I have a local gunshop in Huntington that I hear does pretty good work - I'll ask them.

Thanks guys.

I advise against HS mags. Take a look at all the top builders (SAC, GAP, RWS, Surgeon, Gradous, SSC, PCR, and the list goes on) and they all use DBM with AICS magazines. They are pretty much the standard fare for shooters on this forum.

That is ridiculous that you cannot ship and receive your own long gun except via an FFL in New York. If I was you, I would personally verify it and not go just on hearsay.

If you send just your stock to CDI, you will need dremel (and perhaps a file) to trim the action screws to length and to set the magazine release to proper length. It is not hard, but you need to go slow. Jeff will walk you through it.

If you send the whole rifle, it's more expensive but no work on your end ... in my view it would be a better deal just to order an XLR Element chassis and a magazine and sell the HS Precision stock and bottom metal.

Need Suggestions on DBM for Remmy 700 5r Milspec - stock

If I were not on a bit of a tight timeline, I would have gone with an AICS type DBM. When/if I replace my current stock I'll send it out for inletting to an AICS compatible DBM. But for a drop in replacement, what option is there other than the HS Precision?

Last edited:
I sent my 5R's HS Precision stock to CDi and for $60 they did the inletting for me and did a great job of it in just over 1 week. The fitting on my end was trivial. CDi also makes a solid loading block to use instead of a magazine for loading onesies into the breach. Some might argue that by the time you spend the money on the CDi bottom metal and installation, you are already more than half way to the cost of a decent used chassis, but I am very happy with what I have. I would suggest glass bedding the receiver and getting rid of the X-Mark trigger to tighten your groups up. Mine shoots sub 1/2" moa consistantly.

5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

Last edited:
since it is 1:11.25 twist, you must go with CDI, send him your stock and he will inlet it for his DBM in about a wek or so.
cheers.

If you think there is a chance you might sell the HS stock down the road then I would opt for a true drop in system. My 5R is spec'd similarily to yours, but I always keep resale value in mind before making upgrades.

+1 for sending stock to CDI, they were fast and very Clean by CNCing the stock to fit it and installing the pillars.

How ever I do have Seekins on another build and I like the ambi push buttons and overall look of the seekins better. not sure if they do inletting but Think about using CIP .338 mag bottom metal on your win mag it will allow longer over all length for reloading.

Well thanks for all of the information folks. I'm going to look at pros and cons between Badger and CDI and go with one of those routes. I'm going to ask my local gunshop (The Camp-Site in Huntington, NY) and compare against sending in my gun to CDI (since in NY, I'll have to have it shipped back to my FFL).

I appreciate all of the help.

-Ace

Thanks guys.

You can ship a long gun yourself in NY. I have used the USPS, UPS, and Fed X too. As awful as the un SAFE Act is, you can still ship long guns yourself.