• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6.5x47 and Hensoldt (w/ range report)

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
Finally got time today to pick up my new rifle built by Mark King here in PA and thought I would share. Took longer than I expected (over a year), but well worth the wait.

Rifle Specs:
6.5x47 Lapua .294 nk
Surgeon 591 action
McMillan A-5 marble (pics don't show it right...its mainly black with desert tan and OD green mixed)
Kreiger HV 8.5 twist @ 24" + thruster brake
Jewell Trigger @ 1 lb
BO M5 bottom Metal + rad tac latch
Hensoldt 4-16 NH-1 (thanks Jay) with 20 MOA alphamount (should give me 40 MOA total so I can create my own zero-stop)

I plan on shooting some 130 JLK's.....Hopefully she's a shooter!

Pics:
IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

After some 100 yard groups, I got to try it out at 600 yards on paper and 1000 on some steel. My final load is 37.2 grains of varget.
Heres some pics:
100 yard groups on a 20 MPH gusty day...
IMG_0862.jpg

600 yard target pulled and photographed by hide member SubMOA....group measures somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5"
600yards.jpg

Re: New 6.5x47 and Hensoldt

Nice stick. Hoping I can top my rifle with something that nice in the future.

Great, Great, and Great.

Builder, Caliber and Optics. You hit the trifecta. No doubt it will be a shooter.

Congrats.

got to sling a few rounds down range today to break in the barrel. This thing literally has no recoil. Wasn't getting the velocities I am looking for with H4350 (I think this may be the chronograph I'm using), but I'm going to try varget tomorrow and shoot some groups with both powders to see how it performs.

Try R 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got to sling a few rounds down range today to break in the barrel. This thing literally has no recoil. Wasn't getting the velocities I am looking for with H4350 (I think this may be the chronograph I'm using), but I'm going to try varget tomorrow and shoot some groups with both powders to see how it performs. </div></div>

Very nice! What's the percentage of each color in that stock? It looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rebelbell24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome setup there. What's the total weight? </div></div>
According to the bathroom scale, its 16 pounds with scope and bipod

A very unique and nice looking rifle you have there.

What do you think of that NH1 reticle at 4x and in general?

the NH1 at 4x is very usable. I'm very happy with the scope. Clearest scope I've ever used.

I did some more load development today and had great results with varget. 1 hole group at 100 yards, then at 300 yards it was right at 1 inch for 5 shots. Not bad for 10-20 MPH winds! I loaded 50 up with 37.2 varget, jammed 10 thou in the lands.... I work out of town, so I'm taking it with me this week so I can try it out to 1000 yards at TVP. I'll keep this thread updated with results

Heres a pic I took today. It shows the colors of the stock a little bit better. I swapped scopes out for load developement.
photo-4.jpg

Awesome! Great looking stock. You have quite a bit of patience, I can't wait more than a few months for my builds! Which bolt handle is that?

Thats a KMW bolt handle...

Dave, That rifle looks great!

I've got a good friend who is just finishing up working up loads for his 6.5X47. His best load is VVN550 with 130gr VLD's and CCI450 primers. 26" Bartlein 5R 1-8.5". He started at 38.0 and worked up to the node. he's getting 2880fps and shooting in the .3's at 200 meters...SD is 5.

Very nice. Any idea of the MV you are getting with that load. What is recoil like with that chambering?