• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New AI AXMC 338 rifle. How much tilt in scope mount?

DGT

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2009
Denmark
Hi.

I will soon receive my new AI AXMC 338LM rifle and have to decide on the scope mount.

I will mount my S&B PMII 5-25x56 in a Spuhr mount but the question is how much tilt I need in the mount.

The build in 30MOA in the rifle is not enough so I can choose between an additional 10.3 or 20.6 MOA.

I would like to extend my reach out as far as possible so I could use a little more than 40.3MOA.

Has anyone tried the 50.6MOA combination and what was the closest zero range?

I beleive I read a thread once where someone wrote he could zero at 100yds with 50MOA and the S&B scope.

Can anyone confirm this?

Regards
Carsten
Denmark

I have a similar setup with 50moa base on my 338 trg 42. I have a nightforce 7-35 atacr on it and was able to zero at 100 yds without a problem and about 5 mils still left in the elevation. The s&b has 90 moa vs 100 moa available on the night force so it may be a little tougher to get a 100 yard zero but depending on your reticle you may be able to use it to hold under for your 100 yd zero.

Seems like it might work.
A 200yd zero would be OK too.

Do you experience any optical effects from the 50MOA like oval sight picture at short range?

I normally shoot with 45MOA and I never notice any effects.

I haven’t. Image is still looks great and still full round image in scope. I now have enough elevation to 2000 yds and farther depending on da.

I did the 50.6 moa on an AIAX .338LM, using a Spuhr with a Kahles 624i.
100 yd zero, and had 24.5 mils of elevation adjustment out of 26 mils total. Image looked fine.

I have a similar setup with 50moa base on my 338 trg 42. I have a nightforce 7-35 atacr on it and was able to zero at 100 yds without a problem and about 5 mils still left in the elevation. The s&b has 90 moa vs 100 moa available on the night force so it may be a little tougher to get a 100 yard zero but depending on your reticle you may be able to use it to hold under for your 100 yd zero.
With a 45 moa base and a 4-16 hensoldt on my trg, I was a mil high at 100.

Pardon me if I butt in to educate myself as well. Technical specs for the PMII 5-25 shows 26 mils of total travel in the elevation turret. So if you wanted max travel you would want 13 mils from center to give you the full travel correct? 13 mils equates to approx 45 MOA if I am not mistaken. It is my understanding that you don't want to bottom out hard on the scope travel as it can impose variation into the mechanism (this of course if you are trying for a 100 yard zero, if you want to use more cant in your mount and zero further that of course is an option). Also knowing which cartridge you are shooting would help to estimate your drops at distance.

I'd be concerned about a 100 yard zero with 50moa and the erector being maxed out.

I run a 0MOA spuhr mount (SP-4002) on my AXMC with a S&B 5-25 and I have the full travel of the knob after zero. I see no reason for more cant, it won't do you any good when the turret has a stop after the second revolution anyway.

"Pardon me if I butt in to educate myself as well. Technical specs for the PMII 5-25 shows 26 mils of total travel in the elevation turret. So if you wanted max travel you would want 13 mils from center to give you the full travel correct? 13 mils equates to approx 45 MOA if I am not mistaken. It is my understanding that you don't want to bottom out hard on the scope travel as it can impose variation into the mechanism (this of course if you are trying for a 100 yard zero, if you want to use more cant in your mount and zero further that of course is an option). Also knowing which cartridge you are shooting would help to estimate your drops at distance"

You are right.
I do not want to bottom out hard but rather spare a few clicks for the reason you mention.
In theory this means that I cannot have a 100yd zero but I am asking for hands on experience.

I have 600psc. 300gr. Scenars and I will use those first. After that Berger 300gr. or some local made high BC solids.
The 300gr. Scenars are really not that great for extended range.

If I have the full 90 MOA travel the Scenar will max out at about 1950yd from a 100yd zero but with only 40.3 MOA tilt I do not have full travel from zero.

I'd be concerned about a 100 yard zero with 50moa and the erector being maxed out.

I run a 0MOA spuhr mount (SP-4002) on my AXMC with a S&B 5-25 and I have the full travel of the knob after zero. I see no reason for more cant, it won't do you any good when the turret has a stop after the second revolution anyway.

If that is the case then you are right.
I just think most people do not have the full travel from 100yd with just the build in 30MOA but I may be wrong.

I ended up swapping my 45 moA base For a 25 MOA base And now I have roughly 3 mils of under travel. You can mix and match bases with Mounts to maximize your elevation while maintaining a 100 y zero

"Pardon me if I butt in to educate myself as well. Technical specs for the PMII 5-25 shows 26 mils of total travel in the elevation turret. So if you wanted max travel you would want 13 mils from center to give you the full travel correct? 13 mils equates to approx 45 MOA if I am not mistaken. It is my understanding that you don't want to bottom out hard on the scope travel as it can impose variation into the mechanism (this of course if you are trying for a 100 yard zero, if you want to use more cant in your mount and zero further that of course is an option). Also knowing which cartridge you are shooting would help to estimate your drops at distance"

You are right.
I do not want to bottom out hard but rather spare a few clicks for the reason you mention.
In theory this means that I cannot have a 100yd zero but I am asking for hands on experience.

I have 600psc. 300gr. Scenars and I will use those first. After that Berger 300gr. or some local made high BC solids.
The 300gr. Scenars are really not that great for extended range.

If I have the full 90 MOA travel the Scenar will max out at about 1950yd from a 100yd zero but with only 40.3 MOA tilt I do not have full travel from zero.

You're both incorrect. S&B lists their "travel" as turret travel, not actual internal travel. The optic has more than 26 mils, hence why I'm able to run only 30moa of cant and still have the full travel of the turret.

You're both incorrect. S&B lists their "travel" as turret travel, not actual internal travel. The optic has more than 26 mils, hence why I'm able to run only 30moa of cant and still have the full travel of the turret.
Very interesting.
Thank you for that information. I have never thought of it that way.

What is the actual internal travel would you say?

Hornady 4DOF shows that you have enough travel with the 26 mils to get past 1900 yards but you will be subsonic so hitting something at 2000 yards could be challenging depending on the weather. I've attached the file for what its worth. I know I'm only running the 30 moa and can dial to a mile without issue on a TT that has 28 mils.

Also here is another thread that may have more insight as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...elevation-do-you-use-0moa-20moa-45moa.201475/

Attachments

• 338LM 300gr Scenar.pdf
    728.7 KB · Views: 59
Look into the era-tac adjustable mount, it will allow you to dial in between 0-70MOA.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I have a 5-25x PM2 and had my 300NM zeroed at 100m using a 30MOA rail (Stiller) and the ARC M10-QD rings with 20MOA of cant.

One point of note is that going for high amounts of MOA on your scope mount, will slightly change the way you fit behind the rifle.

I ended up with the 40.3 MOA combination with a Spuhr SP-4302.
With a 100 yds zero I have full 26 mils of travel and a perfect sight picture.
I need a lot more than 26 mils though, but that's another story.