• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Armasight Units (Sidekick and Jockey 640s)

Will have more on the software update next week gents. Idea is end-user serviceable as preferred path.

Power is just power.. doesn't change the way the unit operates other than run time.
Will they ship this way if purchased from SOK? ;)

no jockeys out yet? Holding out on a rh25 to see reports on the jockey

I was this >< close to pulling the trigger on the RH25. Primarily would be clip on use in front of an ATACR, but maybe some handheld scanning also. Helmet mounted while cool, really doesn't interest me too much unless it's a dedicated unit.

Think I'm going to hold off on the RH25 till can see what this Jockey is all about.

I was this >< close to pulling the trigger on the RH25. Primarily would be clip on use in front of an ATACR, but maybe some handheld scanning also. Helmet mounted while cool, really doesn't interest me too much unless it's a dedicated unit.

Think I'm going to hold off on the RH25 till can see what this Jockey is all about.
Same boat. Was gonna buy on black friday but waiting on to see the jockey

Reactions: Maddog51
Guys I’ve been an Nvision guy so I just bought the Nox18 to put on a helmet . I wanted to try one before buying to . How do you guys think this new sidekick would work with my existing Nox 18 on Wilcox mounting system

Reactions: mikefraz
Guys I’ve been an Nvision guy so I just bought the Nox18 to put on a helmet . I wanted to try one before buying to . How do you guys think this new sidekick would work with my existing Nox 18 on Wilcox mounting system

Thought about the nox18 but 6k is getting up there for 1 device, and it looks a little big and heavy to have on a helmet, and it's a dedicated scope. I'm opting for the sidekick/jockey combo, but who knows what the future holds haha.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Thought about the nox18 but 6k is getting up there for 1 device, and it looks a little big and heavy to have on a helmet, and it's a dedicated scope. I'm opting for the sidekick/jockey combo, but who knows what the future holds haha.
I really like my Nox18 on my helmet . I’m just thinking running duel thermal would be cool . Just don’t want to buy another $6k scope an thought sidekick might be cool with it

You’re gonna look like this based on all the processing lag I’ve seen in those review videos 😂

IMG_0526.jpeg

Well hecque, thats the new hotness with these NV toob setups. Go from 40 degrees to much more. :ROFLMAO:

I think its going to be a great little unit once the "birthing pains" are over. :)

It definitely feels like they released them a little half baked, the USB video streaming option isn't in the firmware yet either. But I like the fact that they are actually making improvements and releasing firmware upgrades. I'm not sure if that is the case with the chinesium units.

Any update on when/how to get the firmware update? The Armasight website keeps booting me out when I try to search there.

Reactions: hmjgriffon
It definitely feels like they released them a little half baked, the USB video streaming option isn't in the firmware yet either. But I like the fact that they are actually making improvements and releasing firmware upgrades. I'm not sure if that is the case with the chinesium units.
So they’re taking the sig sauer approach

Reactions: Maddog51
Pretty good video here guys.

I seem to get a much better image out of my Sidekick 640 than he is showing here. Albeit, the Sidekick has plenty of menu adjustments like any GOOD thermal. Adjusting the settings (and understanding how to properly) to the given emissivity conditions during use is critical to image enhancement.

I have been running the snot out of mine the last couple of days in both good and bad emissivity conditions and am pretty satisfied with its performance.

I would say it is about 85 to 90% baked. Pretty good little thermal and with a manufacturer that is committed to further refinements through software updates, the Sidekick has some growing room to become an excellent wide FOV unit, especially for the price point.

Additionally, it is a pretty sturdy solid feeling unit. Unlike the Chinese junk out there. Having a solid sturdy unit that can stand up to some abuse is important to me.

Last edited:

I seem to get a much better image out of my Sidekick 640 than he is showing here. Albeit, the Sidekick has plenty of menu adjustments like any GOOD thermal. Adjusting the settings (and understanding how to properly) to the given emissivity conditions during use is critical to image enhancement.

I have been running the snot out of mine the last couple of days in both good and bad emissivity conditions and am pretty satisfied with its performance.

I'm hoping for a video that explains settings on thermals and some tips. :D

Reactions: ender454
Learning the correct settings on any particular thermal is somewhat different depending on the algorithms written for a specific device.

The best thing to do, is spend a whole lot of time with your particular device in emissivity conditions ranging from poor to excellent and adjust your particular device until you get the best image. It is best to do this in a non hunting environment. Point being set a chair up outside where you are nice and comfy during various emissivity levels and play with your device to learn it.

Kinda like the womens. None are the same and you gotta pay to play. :ROFLMAO:

Who here has updated their firmware? I cannot for the life of me find anything about this. Thanks guys.

SOK getting trolled on Reddit thanks to @French1966
No great surprise there. He was poo pooing the Sidekick 640 over on the Youtube videos.

To be honest, comparing the Sidekick 640 against the RH 25 is really foolish. They are not the same creatures at all.

The Sidekick 640 has a 19 mm lens(24.16H x 17.37V degrees) 640 x 480 and 1 pixel samples 5.42 Square Inches at 100 yards.
The IRay RH25 has a 25 mm lens (17.5H x 14V degrees) 640 x 512 and 1 pixel samples 2.96 Square Inches at 100 yards.

Simply put, the IRay 25 should outperform the Sidekick 640 at distance because you have a much narrower FOV, with a higher count FPA that is doing a much denser sampling of emissivity.

They both have their places so to speak. Depends what you are individually looking for. The Sidekick 640 is better than the RH25 at some things and vice versa, the RH25 is better than the Sidekick 640 at other things.

So while not specific to the Sidekick 640 and for as much as you can hate on Flir (for throwing Civies to the side), they do put out some good training videos on understanding Thermography. If you really want to learn, put the time in studying these videos (and many others) and you might just become some kind of Guru if you take your learnings and get out and run the snot out of your thermal device.

In fact, I would say Flir can actually write some very unique thermal algorithms because they have spent many years making thermals that are used by Fire Fighters to find people in burning buildings etc. I cannot think of a more difficult and hostile environment that a thermal device could be used in where it is subjected to some crazy and varying emissivity conditions and you have to write an algorithm to overcome that and find the living creature. Stop and think about that for a minute.

So in the Flir Thermosight line they have 2 very uniques Palettes. 1 being Arctic and 1 being Rainbow. Most people poo poo these two Palettes because they do not look anything like what you would see with your MK 1 peepers that God gave you. Most people dismiss this Palettes as gimmicks. These people, don't know what they don't know.

Both of these Palettes can provide unparalleled performance in really tough emissivity conditions that most anything else cannot do. However, you have to learn and discover which conditions they apply to and excel at.

So the Rainbow Palette will find a human or critter in an almost perfect matching emissivity background. The "temperature bands" are uniquely written and discriminatory such that it can render and separate a living critter when other Palettes are unable to do it.

The biggest mistake most average users make (in my humble opinion) is they are wanting to see a Thermal Image that is the closest they see with their eyes. Not me, show me the living critter. Put all the thermal "hoss-power" to doing that. I ain't looking for trees, mountains and rocks.

Last edited:

I don't know why he compares images with the black-hot "outdoor alert" palette against white-hot on the others.
Reviewers should keep them the same.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I don't know why he compares images with the black-hot "outdoor alert" palette against white-hot on the others.
Reviewers should keep them the same.
I do agree with that. Keeping the same color palette when comparing devices does make things more apples to apples.

But as I have said, comparing the Sidekick 640 vs the RH25 is far from an apples to apples comparison.

The bigger take away from his video is the fact that he points out that detecting is one thing and PID is another. He is spot on with that point. Hardly any of the 1x wide FOV units are much good at PID at distance

As to questions about the sidekick upgrade process, we've sent out emails (last week) to all our customers who bought Sidekicks from us, so everyone has been notified about the process (who bought from us). If you bought from another dealer, they should notify you similarly.

Basically, you contact Armasight support, get an RMA and send your unit back for the upgrade, then they'll turn it around and send it back to you. This upgrade will improve the image and mitigate the "lag" ( or "jerkyness" ). This includes putting the latest version of the firmware on the units. Right now AFAIK we all have version 5052.

As to questions about the sidekick upgrade process, we've sent out emails (last week) to all our customers who bought Sidekicks from us, so everyone has been notified about the process (who bought from us). If you bought from another dealer, they should notify you similarly.

Basically, you contact Armasight support, get an RMA and send your unit back for the upgrade, then they'll turn it around and send it back to you. This upgrade will improve the image and mitigate the "lag" ( or "jerkyness" ). This includes putting the latest version of the firmware on the units. Right now AFAIK we all have version 5052.
I didn't get that email and I bought from you, or maybe my mailbox swallowed it. Do I just find an RMA form on their website and fill it out?

Also has anyone gotten any 16650 batteries to fit? I bought 2 orbtronics and they only fit through the extender tube and part way into the unit, do they need to be un protected or a specific brand?

I didn't get that email and I bought from you
Reached out to you offline to resolve.

has anyone gotten any 16650 batteries to fit
I have not, raised with Armasight last week. Whowhatwherehownowbrowncow has gotten some rechargables to fit, I have not. I've been using 2xprimary-c123 got 6-7 hours run time in 25F avg temp.

Reactions: NHPiper
Reached out to you offline to resolve.

I have not, raised with Armasight last week. Whowhatwherehownowbrowncow has gotten some rechargables to fit, I have not. I've been using 2xprimary-c123 got 6-7 hours run time in 25F avg temp.
Got ya, messaged and I'll call armasight in the morning and also ask about the 16650's too.

Reactions: wigwamitus