• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Armasight Units (Sidekick and Jockey 640s)

These work for sure. But make sure to use 2 of them in the battery extender. When I tried using just one, being they are a true 3 volt battery, a single was not producing enough volts and the unit was doing all kinds of weird stuff. Also, FYI, these EBL 3 volt batteries are well built and have performed very well in my sensitive to voltage units.

Last edited:
Will with TNVC just posted this over on Arfcom. I have not had a chance to try any of my Obtronics 16650's because I have been out of town.

Will is a pretty solid guy, so I would say you can take the below comment to the bank.

2. Rechargeable 16650 batteries

I have personally used Orbtronics 2500mAh batteries. The battery is a tight fit. What I did was unscrew the battery extender, insert battery, and then reinstall the extender over the battery.

Reactions: Maddog51
Will with TNVC just posted this over on Arfcom. I have not had a chance to try any of my Obtronics 16650's because I have been out of town.

Will is a pretty solid guy, so I would say you can take the below comment to the bank.

I have personally used Orbtronics 2500mAh batteries. The battery is a tight fit. What I did was unscrew the battery extender, insert battery, and then reinstall the extender over the battery.
I kinda tried that but I didn't want to push too hard, I'll mess with it again lol.

Confirmed, it is a tight fit, I'm just not as brave as Will, you won't be able to screw the battery cap on all of the way but pretty close. Maybe someone can find the right size o-ring to screw the cap down on to. If that's really necessary.

you won't be able to screw the battery cap on all of the way but pretty close. Maybe someone can find the right size o-ring to screw the cap down on to. If that's really necessary.
So you put one O-Ring where the battery extender screws into the Sidekick, and get another O-Ring and put on the end where the relocated Battery Cap screws on to the battery extender. That will provide a good seal against intrusion of any water should you be out in the rain.

Just drop into your local hydraulic cylinder repair shop or a Caterpillar or other Equipment Dealership and the parts counter will have the proper O-Rings to fit it. Easy Peasy.

Put a little dielectric grease on the threads and O-Rings and you then ready for the 66 foot dive test. :)

So you put one O-Ring where the battery extender screws into the Sidekick, and get another O-Ring and put on the end where the relocated Battery Cap screws on to the battery extender. That will provide a good seal against intrusion of any water should you be out in the rain.

Put a little dielectric grease on the threads and O-Rings and you then ready for the 66 foot dive test. :)
yeah, I can probably measure the threaded part with my calipers to figure out the o-ring size. I thought about putting some dielectric grease on the threads like I do with my flash lights haha.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
For anyone wanting to know how durable and long lasting good rechargeable lithium batteries are, I recommend watching this video. I power all my thermal, NV, lasers and lights with good quality rechargeable batteries.

PSA for everyone with a Sidekick..
I just got off the phone with Armasight. The firmware update isn't quite ready yet. Apparently, one of the sales guys misunderstood an internal email and jumped the gun a bit. The engineers haven't given a final release yet; hopefully today. And SHOT is going to delay things a bit as well. I got an RMA to send it in, but the guy I talked to said there could be a couple to few weeks of delay at this point. He said the update is the top priority for the repair shop once its released. So if anyone has any upcoming hunts, classes, etc, where you plan to use it, you may want hold off for a bit.

Preciate that Crewdog 135. My Sidekick is ginning pretty darn good as it is, so waiting for an update is not an issue for me at all.

Kinda excited. Dam little thing performs pretty good right now. Any improvements would be gravy at this time and a big improvement would be DOUBLE ICING ON THE CAKE.

No pun for those currently iced in at home. Me too.

Reactions: Crewdog135
The firmware update isn't quite ready yet.
I actually hope they take their time and get it really really optimized.

Point being, I am getting some stunning thermal images out of this little unit and if the Engineers can improve on what I am currently looking at, the Sidekick will be a real diamond out there. Especially given its price point.

And while Long Range Precision Shooters video Armasight SIDEKICK 640 vs RH25 and NOX 18- Battle of the Thermal Monoculars brought up some significant things to think about when comparing devices, the images shown in his video are very poor compared to the images I am getting out of the device.

I personally do not think he had the settings correctly optimized to show the best images the unit is capable of showing. His images look fairly poor compared to what I am getting out of the unit.

I actually hope they take their time and get it really really optimized.

Point being, I am getting some stunning thermal images out of this little unit and if the Engineers can improve on what I am currently looking at, the Sidekick will be a real diamond out there. Especially given its price point.

And while Long Range Precision Shooters video Armasight SIDEKICK 640 vs RH25 and NOX 18- Battle of the Thermal Monoculars brought up some significant things to think about when comparing devices, the images shown in his video are very poor compared to the images I am getting out of the device.

I personally do not think he had the settings correctly optimized to show the best images the unit is capable of showing. His images look fairly poor compared to what I am getting out of the unit.

you should make a video to show off your images.
I messaged them through the website and am waiting for the RMA stuff. But I am definitely not going to send it in and be without it if the update isn't even ready. I am hoping they actually come out with the procedure for us to do it ourselves. Not to go off into the nerd weeds but I suspect you just unlock a setting in the menu similar to developer mode on an android phone that let's you change the mode of the usb c port from mass storage and then use some app. Just my educated guess from staying in a motel 6 once. Either way, I will keep tinkering with it until the update is ready.

• Haha
Reactions: Jip4012
SOK getting trolled on Reddit thanks to @French1966
It was a good video, I think I gave credit where credit was due.

He just went on a weird rant saying that the RH25 is literally “useless past 75 yards” for clip-on use.

It’s just not even in the realm of being accurate. And while I love to give people the benefit of doubt, I’m lead to believe it’s some type of user error because everyone else I know that uses the RH25 as a clip-on (correctly) has no issues hunting/hitting targets at distance. Double or triple+ the distance he thinks it’s useless at.

Anyways, not what the thread is about.

But enjoy my humble bunnies who were shot at 125 yards 😂

Attachments

• IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 59
I think the updated units are due back to customers in about a week or so.

That would be odd since armasight customer support told me yesterday that the upgrade isn't ready yet, and probably won't be for another week or 2. They are supposed to be sending me a shipping label for RMA when the upgrade is out. They said the shipping label is good for 30 days so I don't plan to send mine until the upgrade is ready, no point in it sitting on their shelf. Also shot show is apparently coming soon so that could monkey some things up.

Reactions: jwramp
That would be odd since armasight customer support told me yesterday that the upgrade isn't ready yet, and probably won't be for another week or 2. They are supposed to be sending me a shipping label for RMA when the upgrade is out. They said the shipping label is good for 30 days so I don't plan to send mine until the upgrade is ready, no point in it sitting on their shelf. Also shot show is apparently coming soon so that could monkey some things up.
I'm sure they'll take care of it, they seem really responsive based on what everyone is saying. There's great advocates for consumers on here like @SkyScrapin and @WhereNow&How. We all want our toys as fast as possible, but we are a small consumer group in a very niche market. The fact that armasite is working on a fix for everybody in the near future should be applauded. Good luck getting something like that from some of the bigger manufacturers.

I'm sure they'll take care of it, they seem really responsive based on what everyone is saying. There's great advocates for consumers on here like @SkyScrapin and @WhereNow&How. We all want our toys as fast as possible, but we are a small consumer group in a very niche market. The fact that armasite is working on a fix for everybody in the near future should be applauded. Good luck getting something like that from some of the bigger manufacturers.
100%, no regrets on my choice for my first thermal device.

The fact that armasite is working on a fix for everybody in the near future should be applauded. Good luck getting something like that from some of the bigger manufacturers.
Exactly. (y) You hit the nail on the head.

Now that I have learned how to tweak the adjustments for this particular unit to the given emissivity conditions, I am extremely pleased with its performance. Any software upgrades would be pure cream in my opinion. I am willing to wait a good long time so they are not rushed and can max out any potential performance increases.

Of all the Youtube videos on the Sidekick 640 done so far, only Stokes video is representative of what I am actually seeing through the lens.

Every other Youtube video I have watched by any others does not show a good representation image of what I am seeing. Not even close.

That mirrors my experience. Make sure to check your spam folder, as all their comms keep getting stuck there for me. I received the RMA to perform 2-point calibration and firmware upgrade and the shipping label is good for a month in case I wanted to hold onto the unit a little longer before the firmware is finalized. I’ll probably end up sending it out soon anyway, as I’ll also be tied up with SHOT and not out using it.

you should make a video to show off your images
So I took some video and photos with onboard internal feature. Then I went to download them on my computer to look at them. My computer would not recognize nor connect with the device. I was flabbergasted. What the hell. Won't connect. So I am like, ok, that must be one of the software fixes they are working on. Well, Jimmie Cricket, who'd a thunk it. The dam USB cable that came with the unit aint working.

Got another cable (Non OEM) and the unit connected perfect. So downloaded the video and images I took.

The photos are pretty sucky versus what I saw through the eyepiece. Also they are JPEG 16.0 KB images which is pretty sucky.

So now my mission is to try to get some with my IPhone and see how that comes out. If I have any luck I will post some photos.

The attached image is with about 4 inches of fresh snow. It is a JPEG 16KB file and It is about 70% as good as what I saw looking through the lens.

Attachments

• IMG004.jpeg
    IMG004.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 84
That mirrors my experience. Make sure to check your spam folder, as all their comms keep getting stuck there for me. I received the RMA to perform 2-point calibration and firmware upgrade and the shipping label is good for a month in case I wanted to hold onto the unit a little longer before the firmware is finalized. I’ll probably end up sending it out soon anyway, as I’ll also be tied up with SHOT and not out using it.

got my RMA email a few minutes ago, ha haaa.

So I took some video and photos with onboard internal feature. Then I went to download them on my computer to look at them. My computer would not recognize nor connect with the device. I was flabbergasted. What the hell. Won't connect. So I am like, ok, that must be one of the software fixes they are working on. Well, Jimmie Cricket, who'd a thunk it. The dam USB cable that came with the unit aint working.

Got another cable (Non OEM) and the unit connected perfect. So downloaded the video and images I took.

The photos are pretty sucky versus what I saw through the eyepiece. Also they are JPEG 16.0 KB images which is pretty sucky.

So now my mission is to try to get some with my IPhone and see how that comes out. If I have any luck I will post some photos.

The attached image is with about 4 inches of fresh snow. It is a JPEG 16KB file and It is about 70% as good as what I saw looking through the lens.

I can't imagine they would do this but I wonder if the included cable is charge only lol for a 3k unit it would be kinda dumb to try and save a few cents though. I haven't tried to pull anything off of mine yet.

I can't imagine they would do this but I wonder if the included cable is charge only lol for a 3k unit it would be kinda dumb to try and save a few cents though. I haven't tried to pull anything off of mine yet.
Anybody ever called you a Conspiracy Theorist. :ROFLMAO:

We received this this morning from Armasight - another update on the sidekick upgrade !

Hot off the press from Armasight:

We’ve released a new version of our Sidekick 640 software. In about two weeks, the firmware will be available on the Armasight website for registered owners to download and add to their device, though some units will need to come back for recalibration in order to properly benefit from the improvements in this version. We encourage customers to reach out to us at [email protected] for more assistance.

The next release with improvements and bug fixes is expected later in Q1. I will share release notes on the Sidekick 320 software when it is approved for release.

Sidekick 640 v5064 – 1/18/2024

• New image processing algorithms providing improved image quality and reduced “lag”
  • Updated presets (default settings) for white hot and black hot
  • Reduced initial start-up time
  • Reduced frequency of NUC and related slowdown
  • Fixed a bug that could cause screen tear in some recordings
  • Fixed a bug preventing operation in extremely low temperatures
  • Fixed a bug that could cause visual artifacts on splash screen

Anyone interested in learning how to update their unit can reach out to [email protected].

Last edited:
Well I am gonna play it on the safe side and send mine in to make sure I get the "full" spa treatment.

It runs great right now, just dreaming of how good the improvements will make it.

How close to to the Voodoo or Skeet could it possibly get. :)

While I am not expecting it to necessarily get to those levels, close would be good enough considering the huge difference in price.

Reactions: Jip4012
My recommendation to those of you who purchased through us or another vendor is to send it in - get it updated at the factory. Don’t wait. The updates are that meaningful.

ArmaSight has been great to work with as a SOK partner and has gone above and beyond soaking in the end-user feedback. Much of what this new SW release offers came from the community of users.

This is the level of support we expect from a US based manufacturer, and it warms the heart to see it unfold in real time.

SNOW in Mississippi :eek: :eek: :eek: say it isn't so !!!

• Love
Yeah but, you gotta look at the bright side. Gives you time to tinker with SUPER TURBO CHARGING your Sidekick 640.

Voodoo S & Skeet hold my beer and watch this. :ROFLMAO:

62 Millo Metah. 3X Native mag now. 😎

1705761629242.jpeg

1705761670138.jpeg

Electric pole is 442 yards away. This photo is from internal file in the unit and not threw the lens. So about 70% as good as what you actually see through the lens. This is with a 3x 62 mm lens on it.

1705771658366.jpeg

1705771931966.jpeg

No, that is a special Germanium Magnifier. Glass magnifiers do not work on thermal.

Here is what you seek. The one I have in the photo is a 62 mm 3x.

Awesome, might get one of those too.

No, that is a special Germanium Magnifier. Glass magnifiers do not work on thermal.

Here is what you seek. The one I have in the photo is a 62 mm 3x.
I can't find where to buy them and no dealer list. Where did you get yours?

I can't find where to buy them and no dealer list. Where did you get yours?
Straight from Torrey Pines Logic who also owns Sector Optics.

Call them and you can probably buy straight from them.

They were running about $2,000.00 back in 2018. Germanium prices have gone up about 54% since then, so I would think they cost more now.

Today’s price of Germanium is $2,839.40 per kg.
Please note that the price presented is the retail price for private investors and is aligned with industry retail pricing. For bulk purchases, whether industry or investment, please contact us directly for a quotation.

Table: Germanium Historical Prices and Price Changes
Date Price Change % to Today Annual Change %
Jan 19 2024 $2,839.40 / kg
Jan 1 2024 $2,839.40 / kg 0.00%
Jan 1 2023 $2,344.40 / kg +21.11% +21.11%
Jan 1 2022 $2,293.80 / kg +23.79% +2.21%
Jan 1 2021 $1,984.20 / kg +43.10% +15.60%
Jan 1 2020 $2,045.09 / kg +38.84% -2.98%
Jan 1 2019 $2,361.61 / kg +20.23% -13.40%
Jan 1 2018 $1,845.17 / kg +53.88% +27.99%

Reactions: hmjgriffon
Question, is it safe to use things like 70% iso alcohol or more and other things you use on optics to clean germanium lenses? Also is it better to use something like 90% or better iso?

Horta says piss works just fine.

If piss is unavailable , 90% alcohol is fine.

But a really smart dealer and great guy on here (Jay) Sureshot Night Vision, told me a long time ago that good soft toilet paper is one of the best things to use to clean a lens. I have adhered to that since Jay shared that with me.

A good clean lens cleaning cloth is always I can't find that dam thing. But I always got some good soft TP close at hand. :)

Last edited:
@hmjgriffon, while you are learning, I have attached a good article for you to read about Thermal Cross Over.

Attachments

• Thermal Cross Over.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
Horta says piss works just fine.

If piss is unavailable , 90% alcohol is fine.

But a really smart dealer and great guy on here (Jay) Sureshot Night Vision, told me a long time ago that good soft toilet paper is one of the best things to use to clean a lens. I have adhered to that since Jay shared that with me.

A good clean lens cleaning cloth is always I can't find that dam thing. But I always got some good soft TP close at hand. :)
hahahaha, I have alcohol, que-tips, microfiber cloths, I don't think I'll have to pee on my thermal.......hopefully.

Armasight Shot Show 2024 RISING BACK UP FROM THE ASHES OF THE FLIR DEAL

I have one of the units on order from SOK and I’m super eager for it. But I think we all forget that it takes a ton of work for all of these manufacturers in vendors to prep for SHOT. I put a call into Cadex for a spare part after placing an order, and their entire team is in Las Vegas.

my guess is that we start to see a bunch of units coming back the week after everybody returns.

Update from Armasight yesterday, our first batch of 10 units (we had in inventory and sent back for upgrades) are now in route back to us, we should have them next week. So the "upgrade machine" seems to be humming along at Armasight.

Would love to see a comparison of before the upgrade and after if that is available?