• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new AW

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
managed to get an Aw338 at a reasonable deal. Its my dream rifle and I want to take it to its limits.

I've already taken my 308 and 300 win mag to 1000 and 1200 respectively so know what I'm doing re wind calls, reloading etc

The AI came with a SB 5-25x56 p4F. I'm wanting to change it to a new SB 5125 with the H58 reticle.
Is this a good idea ?

Also I found that the AI mount is actually a piece of junk. It can't hold the big SB optic. Even Chinese one's look better and the recoil lug at the is very weak and has already bent.

Am I right in going with a Sphur 45 moa base ?

PLease fill me in, on other specific aspects of maintaing this rifle and getting the maximum out of it.

Also I want to know what loads, I can do with the 285 grain projectiles and ADI 2225 powders.

I've heard that 300gn projectiles can't be used as it won't fit in mag and the 1:11 twist won't stabilise it.

Re: new AW

AI mount is a piece of Junk? Wow that's bold. I would go with the Spuhr depending on what type of rail you have. Picatinny or dove tail? I have a picatinny rail on my AW. Since it is not notched all the way I dont use a spuhr on it with my HDMR because I cannot get it forward enough for me. Just some food for thought.

My AI mount works fine. My buddy runs a spuhr with a HDMR on his Badger and the thing is rock solid to say the least.

You heard wrong. 250's and 300's will work fine in your rifle. I have the same rifle with a S&B PMII in an AI 45 moa mount. The mount works beautifully. If you don't like yours for some reason, get a Spuhr. They make one with a 44.4 degree tilt which is what you'll want for your scope.

rifle has a dovetail mount in the receiver, the ai mount wont let the sb optic sit in properly, think its made for a smaller optic. cant believe they'd make such a mount.

I have an S&B with a Horus reticle and yes that is a great scope. No dialing just holdovers. Second shot corrections are a breeze. It is not as busy as they say and it does not block the target. I dial it down to 5 for certain matches and still works great but those were standing movers. I wouldn't recommend using anything less than 10x to use the Horus reticle.

It's well known among those who've tried it that the AI one piece mounts need to be relieved to fit the large center section of the S&B 5-25x56. I have a Spuhr mount on my AW.

I have been using an AI dovetail mount on my AW with 5-25 Schmidt and everything fits great. Maybe AI updated their mount?

Nothing wrong with AI mounts. Whoever put the mounts on the rifle did'nt do it properly. The recoil pin should of been abutted against the recoil slot, this would of prevented the bent pin, and proper torque settings on tightening the mounts. Pop out the pin and put in a new roll pin.

As for scope not fitting. AI make two mounts, one with a 30mm ring, the other a 34mm. Most people order the 34mm and with that comes ring inserts to reduce it to 30mm. By the looks of things you have the 30mm rings. Your S&B has a 34mm tube.

For loads, you mention ADI 2225. I gather you're an Aussie?
Here's a link from one of ours, hope this helps.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...490#Post1869490

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with AI mounts. Whoever put the mounts on the rifle did'nt do it properly. The recoil pin should of been abutted against the recoil slot, this would of prevented the bent pin, and proper torque settings on tightening the mounts. Pop out the pin and put in a new roll pin.

As for scope not fitting. AI make two mounts, one with a 30mm ring, the other a 34mm. Most people order the 34mm and with that comes ring inserts to reduce it to 30mm. By the looks of things you have the 30mm rings. Your S&B has a 34mm tube.

For loads, you mention ADI 2225. I gather you're an Aussie?
Here's a link from one of ours, hope this helps.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...490#Post1869490

</div></div>

On top of that, there are several different 34mm mounts from AI. If you're using a 5-25 S&B, you're going to have to buy the 45MOA mount, or it will *not* fit properly.

I'm organising a 45 moa sphur mount, thats that issue sorted.

The rifle was originally owned by a fat millionaire type who didn't care about it or clean.

The mount is definitely a 34mm one as it fits the 34mm scope.

Need to sell the SB 5-25 p4F as the one with H58 reticle has already arrived.

I know this rifle has a twist of 1:11 twist. I want to shoot the 285 or 300 grain projectiles, to get max BC and less wind drift.

What speeds should I be aiming for ?

I had to get an AI mount machined just slightly for the 5-25 to fit properly. There has to be just a slight bit machined of the top of the base for the center section of the scope to fit.

I'm just not happy with the quality of the mount and the bent recoil lug. It seems to be just piece of twisted aluminium.

Anyways guys can I use 285 or 300 grain bullets liske lapua scenar in this 1:11 twist barrel ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just not happy with the quality of the mount and the bent recoil lug. It seems to be just piece of twisted aluminium.

Anyways guys can I use 285 or 300 grain bullets liske lapua scenar in this 1:11 twist barrel ? </div></div>

Did you see DT1's response? Having shot his before, I can say that yours should do just fine with the heavier bullets.

ok what speed for the 300 grainers am I aiming for ? Its a 27 inch barrel Can they be loaded to mag length ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok what speed for the 300 grainers am I aiming for ? Its a 27 inch barrel Can they be loaded to mag length ? </div></div>

Whats good for my gun may not be good for yours. Start with a mild load and progress til you have an accurate load around the speed you want...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok what speed for the 300 grainers am I aiming for ? Its a 27 inch barrel Can they be loaded to mag length ? </div></div>

Ever seen a reloading manual? That should help.
The fun of making something work well is doing it on your own, not being spoon fed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> to shooter4fun, ever heard of not wasting time and money ?

</div></div>

Got it; you're cheap and want to use what everyone else has already spent their time and money on
wink.gif

If you're really that freakin' cheap you ain't gonna like shooting the 338LM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> to shooter4fun, ever heard of not wasting time and money ?

</div></div>

You bought a AIAW in 338 Lapua with a S&B on it.. and NOW you are talking about wasting money??? Get the fuck outta here...

Would love to see pics of your new AI rifle. Never heard an AI mount being called junk before though. I actually sold my spuhr to go back to the AI mount. Spuhrs are great mounts dont get me wrong, I just liked the AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportin' wood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> to shooter4fun, ever heard of not wasting time and money ?

</div></div>

You bought a AIAW in 338 Lapua with a S&B on it.. and NOW you are talking about wasting money??? Get the fuck outta here... </div></div>

LMAO
laugh.gif

Hey, we all tried helping.

Here in Oz, I think it costs $8-10 a pop to shoot the 338 Lap (reloads)
The novelty of shooting this will quickly wear off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportin' wood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> to shooter4fun, ever heard of not wasting time and money ?

</div></div>

You bought a AIAW in 338 Lapua with a S&B on it.. and NOW you are talking about wasting money??? Get the fuck outta here... </div></div>

LOL. Spent $10K+ on a rifle and optics and a $25 reloading manual and $100 worth of components to work up a load is too much money.

Sorry bro but if you're too stupid to realize you can't just take a load that works for another rifle that may be to hot yours then you shouldn't be reloading. That's a danger to yourself and anybody else at the range.

Figure out a good starting load for the bullet/brass/powder/primer combination you're using and work up from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rifle has a dovetail mount in the receiver, the ai mount wont let the sb optic sit in properly, think its made for a smaller optic. cant believe they'd make such a mount. </div></div>

.......the AI AW mounts are all 34mm diameter. Right?

...with the excepion of the short dots, all PMII spec SuB scopes are 34mm diameter. Right?

As for the AW being a POS....it is more than capable to standing up to extreme handling with no POI shift.

I'm thinking that what you have is NOT AI original build but is probably another brand (or maybe a knock-off)....or even an airsoft version
wink.gif

Or is it that it doesn't look as cool as the Sphur that is the issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rifle has a dovetail mount in the receiver, the ai mount wont let the sb optic sit in properly, think its made for a smaller optic. cant believe they'd make such a mount. </div></div>

.......the AI AW mounts are all 34mm diameter. Right?

...with the excepion of the short dots, all PMII spec SuB scopes are 34mm diameter. Right?

So either what you have got is NOT an AI mount but something else...or, no offense intended, you are wrong.

As for the AW being a POS....it is more than capable to standing up to extreme handling with no POI shift.

Is it that it doesn't look as cool as the Sphur that is the issue? </div></div>

The AI 18 and 28 MOA mounts will not fit the 5-25 S&B. You will have to mill out the mount for the bottom of the turret housing to clear. Not AI fault. I really don't think they designed the mount with the much bigger 5-25 S&B mount in mind. If you call up Mile High Shooting they can mill out the mounts to fit. The 45MOA AI mount will fit a 5-25 S&B without a problem.

Bacarrat, thanks.

I missed that the OP was not complaining about the ring diameter...but the clearance with the base.

Yes, that is an issue on the bigger mag SuB scopes...but they weren't around when the smaller MOA mounts were designed.

As you point out...a simple bit of milling and job done.

IMHO, not really a reason to describe the AI mount in such negative terms, just a misunderstanding of when and what the AI mount was designed for.

If you bent the AI mount from shooting it I believe that you have already found the rifles limit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bUuIw8H.gif
</div></div>
I swear man, some of the gif's and pictures I see on this board are absolutely amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bUuIw8H.gif
</div></div>
I swear man, some of the gif's and pictures I see on this board are absolutely amazing. </div></div>

LOL that has to be the funniest post I have seen in a while

I managed to get a good deal for AI and SB scope. All these rifles are the same ( barrels, bolts can be switched out )

Why would I want to waste time, money etc buying projectiles that are not going to do well anyway.

Thats what I think the rationale of this forum is for to learn from other's experiences. Not just to be told to "get a loading manual" as if I'm some newbie with a pea shooter.

Also there's no way that original AI mount is going to hold up to prolonged hard use the way its made. It looks like some Chinese AR15 scope mount.

Also there not even competent to engrave the specs of the mount on it.

I'm just wanting a reference load that someone else has used. Hopefully with 285 or 300 gn pills and ADI 2225 powder.

I'm a bit disappointed with the conduct of some of the members of this forum.

Try the following:
Worked well in my AWSM ( and most other .338's)

250 grain bullets on top of 91 grains of RL25

300 grain bullets on top of 88 grains of RL25

work up to these loads.

Ewen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also there's no way that original AI mount is going to hold up to prolonged hard use the way its made. It looks like some Chinese AR15 scope mount.

Also there not even competent to engrave the specs of the mount on it.</div></div>

It'll be interesting to see what other members make of this assertion.

When I bought my AW the UK distributor was the epitome of good advice, experience and guidance - especially on the question of mounts and scopes.

The original 18 and 28 mounts date back to when the UK issue scope was the x6 and then 3-12x SuB.

SuB introduced their big mag scopes long after that.

If you go to a distributor (or approved dealer) I am sure that their advice (on learning which scope you intend to use) would be to go for one of the alternative AI mounts or (as you seem to have chosen to do) go for an OEM solution.

With regards to the bent recoil lug....I assume that you (or the previous owner) had understood the need to have this pushed forward when tightened down?

I think it is perhaps unwise to mention AI's competence....the AW and it's derivatives are (for many) the rifles by which other issue precision rifles are measured, proven in combat as not only supremely accurate but also extremely robust.

I have many different scope mounts of both UK, US and German manufacture, vintage and modern.....is it commonplace to find specs engraved? Not as far as I can see....unless you are LaRue (and even then it is screened, not engraved)

There is also the issue of "caveat emptor" and perhaps you have misunderstood the time lines for development of the AI and mounts and the scopes for which they are intended/recommended to be used with and are trying to mate the existing mount with a scope for which it was not designed.

Enjoy your AW...they are great rifles and will handle much more abuse than (most) will give them....

I'm actually selling a 45 moa 34mm ai scope mount if you want it. It is for a dovetail mount. I used it for my sb 5-25 and it fits fine. I will make you a good deal. It is true that you will bend the recoil lug pin if you don't push the scope mount forward while tightening it down. If you look at zak smiths AI you will see he runs this scope mount with his sb. If its good enough for him it should be good enough for just about anybody....

Sorry you're disappointed. Go back to Barfcom. You will be a god there with your 338LM!
BTW, at this point I would not try any loads your snotty ass has been provided. One of them may be poison!
Just sayin'........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need to sell the SB 5-25 p4F as the one with H58 reticle has already arrived.</div></div>

carefull: show up with less than 10 posts and try to selling goods in the bolt rifle section can sometimes result in the ban hammer.

some of you are paranoid ! When did I offer to sell on the forum, the SB scope ? I just said it needs to be sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still no pics?? </div></div>

Yeah! pics or it never happened

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also there not even competent to engrave the specs of the mount on it.</div></div>

It'll be interesting to see what other members make of this assertion.

When I bought my AW the UK distributor was the epitome of good advice, experience and guidance - especially on the question of mounts and scopes.

The original 18 and 28 mounts date back to when the UK issue scope was the x6 and then 3-12x SuB.

SuB introduced their big mag scopes long after that.

If you go to a distributor (or approved dealer) I am sure that their advice (on learning which scope you intend to use) would be to go for one of the alternative AI mounts or (as you seem to have chosen to do) go for an OEM solution.

With regards to the bent recoil lug....I assume that you (or the previous owner) had understood the need to have this pushed forward when tightened down?

I think it is perhaps unwise to mention AI's competence....the AW and it's derivatives are (for many) the rifles by which other issue precision rifles are measured, proven in combat as not only supremely accurate but also extremely robust.

I have many different scope mounts of both UK, US and German manufacture, vintage and modern.....is it commonplace to find specs engraved? Not as far as I can see....unless you are LaRue (and even then it is screened, not engraved)

There is also the issue of "caveat emptor" and perhaps you have misunderstood the time lines for development of the AI and mounts and the scopes for which they are intended/recommended to be used with and are trying to mate the existing mount with a scope for which it was not designed.

Enjoy your AW...they are great rifles and will handle much more abuse than (most) will give them.... </div></div>

I look it as if other countries around the world field the same mount and scope through war, what kind of havoc can us weekend warriors do the combo?

Does anyone really think a company like AI, who built about one of the most rock solid sniper rifles out there don't know what they are doing when they build the scope mount for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I managed to get a good deal for AI and SB scope. All these rifles are the same ( barrels, bolts can be switched out )</div></div>

There are a few different brands of barrels that have been used, they've been chambered by different shops, and not every barrel got the same reamer.

Regardless of parts swapping around you should ALWAYS work up a load for an idividual rifle unless its without a doubt a very safe pressure load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also there's no way that original AI mount is going to hold up to prolonged hard use the way its made. It looks like some Chinese AR15 scope mount.</div></div>

There are plenty of military individuals all over the world that would disagree with you. But what do they know, they aren't range jockeys transporting their rifle from the safe to the bench in a nice pelican case. Thats hard use!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a bit disappointed with the conduct of some of the members of this forum. </div></div>

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

I'm assuming you're an Aussie? You mentioned ADI 2225 powder.
The fellas here only go by the American equivalent.
eg: ADI 2208 (Varget)

This is what I found for you on an Aussie forum. I did a cut and paste. <span style="color: #CC0000">Use all loads with caution</span>

Use AR2217 powder and CCI 250M primers for good results.
Lapua brass is great and so is Aussie made Bertram brass.
Nosler/Hornady brass is to be avoided at all cost in the Savage or you may have extraction issues.

A load around 89gn to 91gn of AR2217 will give good accuracy with any of the 300gn projectiles(2700 to 2800fps). Or you can add another 5 grains of powder if you drop back to 250gn projectiles.(2900 to 2950fps)

Hornady 225gn Interbonds are great hunting bullets with 95 to 99gn of AR2217 for about 3000 to 3150fps.

I have tried the N165 its ok to but as I was told its very susceptible to temperature fluctuations which will give slightly different pressures in turn giving a different impact point. The AD1 2225 is more stable in cold and warm weather with an even burn rate of powder .I have used the 250's and 300 grainer's in Lapua and SMK both in BTHP the best Load I found was 85.7 ADI 2225 about 2600 fps with 250's with a 26" pipe gave me a 3 inch group at 500 m with the M98B since sold now . Its a big projectile so I think there is no need to over rev it and 250 - 300 grainer at 2600-2700 fps is more than enough to put holes in things with eccess barrel ware. Oh and it was Federal gold medal heavy magnum primers
Good luck

Adam J, I have only recently started reloading and shooting my Rem 700 MLR rifle (26" barrel + M/brake), in .338 Lap Mag.
I sat down and read a bit about this Very Impressive cartridge, and also spoke with a few people I know that reload and shoot it.
As a result of this, I settled on 250grn bullets and ADI AR-2217 powder.
I started loading Lapua Cases, 250grn Hornady Spire Pt bullets, CCI 250 Mag Primers and settled on a Maximum Safe Working Load (MSWL) of 98grns of AR-2217 powder under this bullet at just over 3000fps (chronoed over a Oehler 35P) at 28derees C and one 5 shot 20mm group! I was impressed!!!
The 250gr Accubonds using AR2213SC at 84gr OAL 3.617
The predators 235gr using AR2217 at 97gr OAL 3.846 (single feed in MLR no mag)
The 300gr SMK's using AR2217 at 91.5gr (squeeze it to max length in the MLR mag).

<span style="color: #CC0000">I always say use other people loads at your own risk.</span>

Here is the forum link if you want to go there.
http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/

Ai mount a Chinese piece of shit? My ass. If you think that then you have no right owning that 10k+ rig anyways. I've been anything but kind to my ae with ai mount and its help up just fine. I'm sure you could consult many military and police professionals across the globe who would concur.

Oh and no I've never owned a $874 spuhr mount.

Perhaps that's my problem.

Thank you aam for your reference loads. Really appreciate it, especially with powder I can source locally.

Another question, I have is whether the 300 gr projectiles will have the same range as the 250 grainers (which is optimised for this rifle at 1:11 twist)

After going over the AI, I concur its made well, with the chasis system being an amazing idea compared to the recoil lug system of other rifles.

However, they should have designed their mount better. Look at nightforce - their mounts are superb and clearly marked.

I even saw an episode of Larry Vickers complaining about the AI mount : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfEmsgVdg4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you aam for your reference loads. Really appreciate it, especially with powder I can source locally.

Another question, I have is whether the 300 gr projectiles will have the same range as the 250 grainers (which is optimised for this rifle at 1:11 twist)

After going over the AI, I concur its made well, with the chasis system being an amazing idea compared to the recoil lug system of other rifles.

However, they should have designed their mount better. Look at nightforce - their mounts are superb and clearly marked.

I even saw an episode of Larry Vickers complaining about the AI mount : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfEmsgVdg4 </div></div>

I watched the whole episode you linked. The loose mount part showed a TRG with a set of conventional rings on a pic rail. That was not an AI mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veeramani</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I've had a dozen or so NF rings and unimounts and not one has been marked in any way, I'm not sure where you're getting NF rings that are marked but they probably aren't NF.

The two AI mounts I had have both been marked as to which incline they are right on the mount. Besides, why does anybody need their mounts to be marked? As long as you know what the hell it is then why does it matter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I even saw an episode of Larry Vickers complaining about the AI mount : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfEmsgVdg4</div></div>

That's a TRG genius. If you get an AI mount to come loose you fucked up installing it.