• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New barrel choice: What contour? M24 or varmint

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
So, thats my choice. Thought I wanted to go with the M24/M40, but is there any disadvantage to going with a standard Remington Heavy Varmint on my .308 build?

I want a heavy barrel, and I am not packing this rifle all day in the woods, but would be packing this rifle when I go to tactical rifle matches. Will I be sorry if I go M24/M40 contour because it is heavier?

Build is going to use a Rock Creek Barrel, if that matters.
.308, 24-26" finished length, no fluting. Trued Remington reciever.

Just want to do it right the first time. Perhaps I need to call Rock Creek again...

Re: New barrel choice: What contour? M24 or varmint

A M24 is going to be front heavy with 24" or 26" barrel. I have 3 with M24 contours and I love them. Recoil is kept down and that heavy barrel gives you a lot of inertia to cut down on little shakes and jiggles.

One rifle is sniperfill McMillan Winchester Marksman stock. The barrel is the M24 chopped at 20". One friend commented, "That is one ugly gun!" when he saw it for the first time. It wears a couple coats of Krylon and is all business. With the barrel that short, it balances well and is STIFF. Shoots great.

If you are going to pack it or get into awkward positions for matches, the varmint contour may be the way to go.

david

(as a note, I am a small guy at 5'6" and 170 pounds)

Guns get heavy fast...

Go as heavy as needed to get your accuracy and no more.

IMO, Tubb contour Palma barrels are about ideal.

If I wasn't such a sucker for a deeply fluted barrel, medium Palma would be my #1+++++ choice. Plenty of meat with no extra, in all the right places...

Hmm. You did not say anything about your needs: Do you have to carry your rifle a lot, how accurate it must be? Do you need velocity?

Well, there´s many contours for barrels, but definedly most rigid is so-called straight taper with NO fluting. This is heavy, but it is also very steady. There´s also straight cylinder, but i believe this is way too heavy one? Many benchrest shooters are using straight taper contour. I´m just a long range hunter / shooter, but i´ll surely stand behind this one. Fluted barrel is more stiff that non-fluted barrel with same weight, but:
- Fluted barrel cools down faster
- Also heat expansion is greater when shooting rapidly

This seems to be plus minus zero, but most of my fellow benchrest shooters keep saying that fluting does not create best accuracy.

Anyway, my recommendation for .308 is 22-26" inch barrel & at least 4/5 inches (or 20 millimetres) from muzzle. Sako TRG has 21 millimetres, and it is nice one.

Needs: I will likely just target shoot to whatever distance I can find. My local range is 600yards, but I am blessed to live in the sticks and have a TON of mountain area to shoot in.

If I do pack it, it will not be for great distances. I have a hunting rifle for that!

I am building a target/precision rifle with a tactical match or something like that thrown in the mix. Basically, a do everything gun except large game hunting. Have an AR for varmint, 300winmag for big game.

This is mostly for target/tactical/precision range work. 308 because I have all the equipment/brass/components and match ammo is readily available. Plus my son shoots my "old" 308, so loading for one caliber is easier on dad.

Also, I have a B and C stock inletted for CDI bottom metal, and that stock is designed for the Remington Varmint contour. I like it, and I am going to keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guns get heavy fast...
</div></div>

I agree.

It won't take long for you to reconsider a lighter rifle, even if the one your currently humping weighs 9 lbs.

My one stick is from Bartlein, MTU, 24 with FTE brake--if you need to move it around alot--go lighter or at least 22" or less.
With the AICS and NF, 18.5 pounds

For a tactical rifle that you are going to use for competitions, and not pack a lot. I would go with something heavy like a MTU. M24/40 would be okay too. If it is too heavy then cut the barrel length down to 20".

If I wasn't such a sucker for a deeply fluted barrel, medium Palma would be my #1+++++ choice. Plenty of meat with no extra, in all the right places...
what do you recommend for a deeply fluted barrel? I am also building a new match/ light travel hunting precision rifle and was thinking a Krieger heavy palma with the 10 flutes. I say light travel because it can travel on an atv or in the truck.

Reactions: Beasler1
what do you recommend for a deeply fluted barrel? I am also building a new match/ light travel hunting precision rifle and was thinking a Krieger heavy palma with the 10 flutes. I say light travel because it can travel on an atv or in the truck.
The man you quoted hasn’t logged in in over two years. He may not answer.

Reactions: rmillemon