• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Build - Need Glass Opinions

atlsniper6.5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Marietta, GA
Hello Again,

I've got a budget of about $1,500 for the glass on my 260 Remington build. I've had an SWFA SS 10x42M on my 308 for a while, and that has gotten me out to 1000 with no real issues. I would like to reach out as far as the 260 Rem cartridge will take me (about 1500-1600 depending on conditions). A buddy of mine is trying to convince me that I am going to want more power in my scope, but for my price range I am not convinced. I know $1,500 could get me in to one of the ST-10's (which is a bad a$$ scope IMO). From my research, the best FFP in my price range that has a high amount of magnification is the SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD (Please tell me if you know of a better one - FFP is a must).

I would appreciate all the opinions I can get on this subject...

I just bought a bushnell g2dmr from Scott at liberty optics for what I consider to be a fantastic price. I was looking at the swfa also but it wasn't in stock when I bought. From what I hear the SS has better glass, but I really like the G2 reticle and it was considerably cheaper than the SS.

I did a 260 build on a defiance deviant last year and topped it with a vortex razor HD... Worth the extra couple hundred as the scope is solid as can be with a great warranty. A lot of features for sub 2k including good zero stops, great warranty and an illuminated retical.

Used steiner 4-16, a little heavy and long but for $1500 you can't get much better.

I did a 260 build on a defiance deviant last year and topped it with a vortex razor HD... Worth the extra couple hundred as the scope is solid as can be with a great warranty. A lot of features for sub 2k including good zero stops, great warranty and an illuminated retical.

What kind of adjustment range are you getting? That is my main beef with the Vortex PST series, but I haven't looked at the Razor yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of adjustment range are you getting? That is my main beef with the Vortex PST series, but I haven't looked at the Razor yet.

I've got plenty of adjustment to get out to 1600+ with a 260. I do have 20moa already integrated into my action so that helps but so far I've gone out over 1600 without an issue. Beyond that, the eye box is very generous which is nice for a match gun since we are often in very odd positions and unable to get an ideal setup on the rifle. I've seen some other glass recently that is very nice but the eye box/eye relief is very picky and tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got plenty of adjustment to get out to 1600+ with a 260. I do have 20moa already integrated into my action so that helps but so far I've gone out over 1600 without an issue. Beyond that, the eye box is very generous which is nice for a match gun since we are often in very odd positions and unable to get an ideal setup on the rifle. I've seen some other glass recently that is very nice but the eye box/eye relief is very picky and tight.

After a little research, this scope has 36 Mils of adjustment, which is bad a$$... So for another $500 over the SWFA, you're getting a 35mm tube, zero stop, more adjustment (though you won't need it for a 260), more reticle options, and the Vortex warranty. You may have just sold me, brother. Any beefs with it? Does the fast focus eye piece have the ability to be locked down?

After a little research, this scope has 36 Mils of adjustment, which is bad a$$... So for another $500 over the SWFA, you're getting a 35mm tube, zero stop, more adjustment (though you won't need it for a 260), more reticle options, and the Vortex warranty. You may have just sold me, brother. Any beefs with it? Does the fast focus eye piece have the ability to be locked down?

I don't think you can lock down the eye piece but everything else about this glass is worth the $$. Can't get a better warranty or customer service for the money in my opinion. I might make a change later to get some more magnification but for a sub 2k optic it is really really hard to beat

I don't think you can lock down the eye piece but everything else about this glass is worth the $$. Can't get a better warranty or customer service for the money in my opinion. I might make a change later to get some more magnification but for a sub 2k optic it is really really hard to beat

Just curious... How many rotations did you lose on your zero with a 20 MOA base? I know it doesn't matter, but it tends to irritate my OCD when I waste a bunch of adjustment - LOL. The Deviant is based on the R700, correct? What kind of rings?

I am honestly not sure how many rotations down i had to dial on the initial setup to compensate for the action but I know I still have down travel, at least one full turn left but I don't think I'll ever need to dial down, it actually adds a bit of rotation for shooting out to distance but again, I don't think it will need it with a 260.

The deviant from defiance is a r700 based action very similar to a surgeon. Defiance makes GAP's Templar action (same thing as the deviant I believe with the built in rail and recoil lug.

One of the best actions on the market in my opinion for the price.

Just curious... How many rotations did you lose on your zero with a 20 MOA base? I know it doesn't matter, but it tends to irritate my OCD when I waste a bunch of adjustment - LOL. The Deviant is based on the R700, correct? What kind of rings?

Forgot to answer your other question... I'm running seekins low rings on this action. They have taken a beating this past year in matches and being knocked to the garage floor by a buddy (6" fall right onto the windage turret) with zero movement. Well worth the $135 or so

You can't go wrong with the Vortex Razor. Loaded with features and at an excellent price point as you have noticed. You can't lock the ocular adjustment but once the cap is on you will notice any small turns.

The Seekins rings are an excellent choice. Seekins makes the precision matched rings for Vortex as well.
Vortex Tactical - Precision Matched Rings-35mm Medium
Scope Rings - 35mm Tube

For that price range I'd go with the Bushnell DMR.

Quote: Eblade 2004,
I just bought a bushnell g2dmr from Scott at liberty optics for what I consider to be a fantastic price. I was looking at the swfa also but it wasn't in stock when I bought. From what I hear the SS has better glass, but I really like the G2 reticle and it was considerably cheaper than the SS.

I also recently purchased a Bushnell Elite G2DMR 3.5-21X50 scope from Scott @ Liberty Optics. Its glass is excellent as is its resolution and tracking. If you can do without an illuminated reticle it is a terrific scope for the $$$. Imo the glass is as good as my Nightforce scopes.

Call Scott at liberty optics... He is on SH here, hit him up.

Update: I ended up finding a brand new Razor for $1650 (eBay open box special). I got it today and I can't believe what a beast this thing is. I can't thank you enough for the suggestion, and I can't believe I got it for almost the same price as the SWFA.

Update: I ended up finding a brand new Razor for $1650 (eBay open box special). I got it today and I can't believe what a beast this thing is. I can't thank you enough for the suggestion, and I can't believe I got it for almost the same price as the SWFA.

I am sure you will be happy with the performance for the money. Sure there is better glass out there like a S&B or a high end leupold mark8 but for this price point the Razor is REALLY hard to beat. Shoot straight!

Hello atlsniper6.5, question for you. I just bought a 260 REM also, and am looking for a decent scope for it. My budget is also $1500. Are you happy with the new Razor?
Any pros or cons? RSVP