• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New CTR 6.5c 24" help with ring choice

drnls

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2005
Texas
Have new CTR on the way. I have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 to put on top. Range out to 500 and have limited access to go farther at a friends place. I plan on using EGW 20 moa rail. I currently have the Vortex in a Larue OBR 1 piece mount and I also have a Leupold 1 piece mount available. 1 piece mounts are not suggested - correct? If I switch to rings - Burris XTR, Seekins, Vortex, Talley. Not sure I can swing the $100 + for vortex or seekins. With my scope and EGW rail - what height rings do I use?
Thanks, Nelson

Attachments

• 20180201_084005.jpg
    20180201_084005.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 39
Swfa ss rings are of decent quality for the price paid as far as height I am not sure.

You should be fine with either of those that you already have. No sense in wasting more money. And its the vertical split rings that seem to be the big culprit from what Ive gathered.

The scope will be much too high if you use those mounts you already have. You will not get a proper cheek weld to the stock. I doubt you will need a 20moa base if you want to save money. Not sure your distance requirements (knowing cartridge would help) that vortex should have plenty of elevation adjustment to get you started and if not then you could add the 20 Moa base. I assume this is a tikka t3x ctr if so the base can be a pita to take off the rifle FYI.

I think I'm going to wait and use stock rail for now. Sorry, new to this (only have ar's) what am I measuring?
Thanks, Nelson

Low rings on the factory base will put a 50mm objective just off the barrel. Perfect if you want to use a scope cover. If you want to use Flip up caps then it would be a tight fit and would need medium rings. I believe the EGW rail is slightly taller which would make the low rings perfect.

I think I'm going to wait and use stock rail for now. Sorry, new to this (only have ar's) what am I measuring?
Thanks, Nelson
Hey I also have a tikka ctr with factory rail and I run a NF NXS with a 56 mm obj and run medium NF ultra light rings and have about 1/8 inch clearance hope this helps also on the stainless models the rails comes right off with no heating or anything else crazy not sure why but the SS models don’t have epoxy on the screws I took mine off then got impatient and Ready to shoot it so I bolted it back up and is shooting awesome

The Seekins 1” tall rings will for sure work with a 50mm objective scope. I think the .92” tall ones would work too but haven’t tried it.

In the CTR with factory barrel 50 objective and 30mm you can't go wrong with a rail and LOW rings from ANY brand