• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

I have seen quite a few animals hit with the 139 Scenar. All lasered through with minimal expansion. I would not recommend this bullet for hunting at all. The 140 A-max on the other hand does very well. Granted, all of these shots were with Creedmoor speeds, and not SAUM.

Ty

I have had good success with 308 155gr Scenars on hogs. Great penetration/expansion. All DRT out to 250 yards out of a 308 - Southwest Ammo. Agree that A-max is a better hunting bullet across the board. Reliably expands at long range.

They don't make a 2.5x16 FFP, the entire scope is different its not just a 3x12 FFP with a new knob. The tube is a whole new design. The glass inside is different is has an incredible eye box real easy to get on fast. Very crisp. The eyepiece housing was the same as the current 3x12. But Rev 2 is changing that. The 3x12 was the best choice to start from its probably the most common power we all use while hunting, It looks like they will do a 4-16 with all the same features for 2015. So the guys that think they need more power will get it eventually. :)

Thanks for the reply, I am interested to try one on my 375........ I figure that rifle should put it threw the paces.

I was just interested as I have a slight idea about R&D costs. So I was wondering IF/Why didnt they use that idea.

Was it through the vitals? Did they die? If so what's the issue?

I love the 139 Scenar. I have used about 6000 of them in comps and have another 2000 sitting in my load room. I wish that I could get some of the other higher BC or cheaper 140 class 6.5mm to shoot as accurate, but I can't and its my bullet.

I have not shot an animal with one as I have not drawn any tag here in NV in 4 years. I have been hunting with friends and family when 3 different animals were hit with them though. The first went between the ribs and clean through the heart. That 24" mullie was DRT. However, when gutting him, we found the projectile fully intact with very little if any expansion. This spooked me, but the buck was in fact DRT. Next time, my nephew hit a 13" antelope in the lungs and the goat turned and ran. He tossed 4 or 5 more out there before Texas heart shooting him in the ass. We got to him, killed him, and again found minimal expansion in both channels. Now, I was done with it for a hunting bullet, but my brother in law was still dead set. He put 2 through this poor buck, and we never did find him despite a full day of trying.

Next, I told my friend who was intending on using it as a hunting bullet. He is twice the hunter of anyone I have ever met. He hunts in 5 different states for anything with 4 legs from August until November. He took a mullie, and his daughter took an antelope. He said his findings were the same as mine, and wouldn't use it again.

I did notice the pictures above, and did notice that he struck a rib. I have no doubt that that caused massive internal damage, especially at 6.5 SAUM speeds. Having said all of this, I intended no insult to anyone. I am sure that you all have had different experiences with this projectile and that is why you choose to use it. I respect that, and regret sharing my opinion.

Ty

I have one of these coming. I will only be using this for long range precision work and am trying to find bullets. 140 berger hybrids work well right? How does the 139 compare against the 140 bergers? I cant find any 130 vld so I'd like to either use 140 hybrids or the scenars.

This may have to be my next move once my FN PBR 300 WSM finally gives up the ghost... Hopefully true head stamped factory brass will be out by then!

I'd love to see what the 127 LRX would do in the 6.5 4S, it's a hammer in my Creedmore, and groups like a laser as well.

Sorry I didn't want to sift through 24 pages.

So what's the scoop with 6.5 4s in a long action and AI 5 round 300WM mags? Feed okay? How about velocity with 140's and a 30" barrel?

I imagine there's plenty of bullet in the case for reaming the throat farther right? Could somebody seat a 140 hybrid with the bottom of the baring surface one third up from the bottom of the neck and measure OACL please.

Thanks for any help.

The guys willing to Test Drive these will have to wait a little, Rev2 Prototypes will be ready in December, There are only 3 in the world right now and they are already all out being tested. Pat and I will be shooting more deer any coyotes in late November with one as well.

Don't need a test drive, ready to buy. Put me down for three of the when they become available.

Anyone use the Extreme Hunter in any matches/competitions? Just wondering, thanks.

With my shooting conditions on Saturday and a BC of .600 for the pointed 130vlds 3250fps from what everyone is saying these will do. 2080 yards.

Easily! I took mine out to 1700 yards this past weekend with 130's and 140's. For me, the 140's shot better. We also point our bullets.

Easily! I took mine out to 1700 yards this past weekend with 130's and 140's. For me, the 140's shot better. We also point our bullets.
what's your b.c. working out to on the 140's you've got pointed? Are you runnin the vld's or the hybrids?

what's your b.c. working out to on the 140's you've got pointed? Are you runnin the vld's or the hybrids?

Yes, we run the Hybrids. You can run the VLD's pointed but they will be more sensitive to OAL.

BC after pointing is around .670 on the 140gr hybrid.

Amazing. I've been thinking about doing a 7mm build for hunting using berger 180. I want a do it all hunting rifle that could still shoot paper/steel out to a mile. Thinking this 6.5 saum is the way to go. I've already started a creedmoor build, so sticking with a 6.5 caliber for hunting would make things simpler. George mentioned their might be a manufacture that will start making 6.5 saum brass, any idea when that would come about?

So what's the scoop with 6.5 4s in a long action and AI 5 round 300WM mags? Feed okay? How about velocity with 140's and a 30" barrel?

I imagine there's plenty of bullet in the case for reaming the throat farther right? Could somebody seat a 140 hybrid with the bottom of the baring surface one third up from the bottom of the neck and measure OACL please.

Thanks for any help.

A little help here man.

I'm all exited because I snagged a 29" - 8.5 twist - 1.350" shank - 4 groove Bartlein for my Surgeon XL!!!

Regarding 139 Scenars, my brother-in-law are now up to 16 deer/lopes/goats we've taken with them between last year and this year. We're shooting them out of two 6.5x47L's and a 260AI. They've killed quite well for us, but don't penetrate incredibly deep. I have zero hesitation to use them on large deer and smaller game.

A 139 recovered from a muley I watched dad shoot:

20130916_083519.jpg

20130916_083542.jpg

I have modified a 300 win mag for the 7mm Dakota. I had to file down the back rib inside the magazine. You have to take apart the mag by removing the floor plate. I'm not sure if you would need to do this or not with the saum brass. The Dakota case just barely dragged on the rib and caused feeding problems (unfired brass didn't have a problem but after fireforming it was too fat and dragged on the rib). After doing that I had to file down the tangs towards the front and tweek the feed lips to get it to feed well but it works now and feeds well. In my opinion the short action mags are much better for numerous reasons and no work will be needed if you buy the wsm mags. If you are going to build a 6.5 saum do it justice and build it on a short action is my suggestion. Just make sure your short action is ported to eject the saum brass correctly.

Thanks for any help.
[MENTION=25510]hognuts[/MENTION] or [MENTION=22742]Scotty22[/MENTION] has a long action SAUM running 338 mags. I have a WSM that feeds fine out of 338 mags on a long action.

Last edited:
We didn't weigh it Grand. The majority was intact.

Impact velocity on that one was ~2500. We've hit stuff with them between ~2650 and ~2135.

I have modified a 300 win mag for the 7mm Dakota. I had to file down the back rib inside the magazine. You have to take apart the mag by removing the floor plate. I'm not sure if you would need to do this or not with the saum brass. The Dakota case just barely dragged on the rib and caused feeding problems (unfired brass didn't have a problem but after fireforming it was too fat and dragged on the rib). After doing that I had to file down the tangs towards the front and tweek the feed lips to get it to feed well but it works now and feeds well. In my opinion the short action mags are much better for numerous reasons and no work will be needed if you buy the wsm mags. If you are going to build a 6.5 saum do it justice and build it on a short action is my suggestion. Just make sure your short action is ported to eject the saum brass correctly.

You do not need to modify mags as long as you run a dedicated WSM magazine like the AICS, Accurate Mag, or Alpha Mags.

Amazing. I've been thinking about doing a 7mm build for hunting using berger 180. I want a do it all hunting rifle that could still shoot paper/steel out to a mile. Thinking this 6.5 saum is the way to go. I've already started a creedmoor build, so sticking with a 6.5 caliber for hunting would make things simpler. George mentioned their might be a manufacture that will start making 6.5 saum brass, any idea when that would come about?

wouldn't be till 2014 earliest. George will be talking to people at SHOT show in Jan. '14

Even if he finds someone to make it, it could take awhile to get into production with the way things are now. Hopefully he finds someone willing to do it. Properly head stamped brass and large quantity availability would really make this caliber take off.
That would be AWESOME! :D

Just saw Berger is now making Hybrid VLD Hunter line of bullets! Maybe you guys already knew about this but it's news to me, hopefully 130 and 140 .264 Hybrid Hunter are available soon.

No link that I can find, saw a commercial on the Sportsman's Channel. This was specifically their VLD HUNTING line of bullets (not target) but now Hybrid for less sensitive seating depths.

Last edited:
George, I'm currently on a strict budget (getting my masters) and Household 6 would kill me if I spent $4000+ on an extreme hunter in 6.5 saum. Would sending you/Gap a tika t3 lite .300wsm for truing the action and re-barreling be a cost effective option? Eurooptic has them priced decently Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .300 WSM JRTB341 with Rings JRTB341 - EuroOptic.com How difficult would going this route be as opposed to just getting the whole enchilada.

I saw an earlier post about some guy wanting to redo his .260 tikka but with this we're starting right off with the wsm boltface.

Hey guys,
Long time lurker first time poster.

I drank the Kool-Aid!!

Doing a ultralight 6.5 GAP 4S Sheep Rifle for hunting bighorns here in Alberta.
Already got my Dies from Copper Creek, found some brass, got 500 140 VLD's, got my reamer from PT&G, picked up an in stock Lilja #4 Fluted barrel.

Just Waiting for the Peirce Titanium Short Action and the Precision Stock Works 'Rifleman' stock w/Edge technology. Should be well under 6lbs without scope.
I cant wait to get this thing together, the only thing I cant find is H1000.

th098027,
I just built what I thought would be my last do all hunting rifle. It is a 7mm Rem Mag and I am pushing the 180 VLD @ 2900FPS with Retumbo. This is why I think the 6.5 GAP will be better:
  1. Wont give anything up in the wind to the 7mm 180, and will shoot flatter.
  2. Short action and -2" off the barrel will be about 3" shorter overall. Should handle much better.
  3. Less recoil means I can go with a lighter rifle, major bonus for sheep hunting.
  4. Great barrel life so I can shoot F-Open just for practice and not worry about it.
Obviously I am giving up quite a bit of energy, but the Sheep wont know the difference and from what I have seen in this thread the Elk wont either.

Clint

"Inside joke"

Anybody know how many hunts this coffee thermos has been on???

407914333.jpg

None yet but its going to be a Bunch!!!!!

thanks Cinch!!

I'm glad you put that sticker on there.......we'll be able to tell it apart from mine.....grin!

George, Would a tikka t3 lite in 300 wsm be that hard to convert over to 6.5saum. The action would have to be trued and a new bartlein right, and maybe a new stock? Household 6 would kill me if I bought an extreme hunter so i have to go the financially prudent way. I know Eurooptic has them for about 700 bucks or so and then maybe 600-1000 at gap for barrel, work, and stock?

I'm not qualified to answer your question, but the guy in this link has a 6.5 RSAUM in a T3 and it seems to work well for him.

6.5 SAUM

The interesting thing to me about his rifle is that its sports a 22" tube.

He is reporting the following velocities :

"It is pushing the 140 Amaxs out at around 3015-3040.
The 120 GMX & 130 sirrocos out at around 3150-3200."

What he doesn't list is what powder and charge. He may be "hot rodding" it to get those velocities out of a short tube, which kind of defeats the purpose of GAPs desire for long barrel life. Interesting nonetheless though.

Yea, i've read through this whole thread. There was a guy earlier asking about re-barreling his tikka t3 in .260 and was told it wouldn't work cause its a .308 bolt head but I'm willing to bet that the tikka t3 in 300 wsm with some tlc and magic pixie dust from gap would be a great affordable shooter in 6.5saum.