• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

range008.jpg

Round count: 2288.

I must be doing something wrong... Im getting loose pockets that wont hold a primer after 5 firings...

I noticed on the Load thread you were using Norma brass and I believe psinclair is using Remington. I guess that could be a factor.

The other factor could be his use of Tula primers, I think they are a tad bigger than Federal?

But that is pure speculation on my part.

I noticed on the Load thread you were using Norma brass and I believe psinclair is using Remington. I guess that could be a factor.

The other factor could be his use of Tula primers, I think they are a tad bigger than Federal?

But that is pure speculation on my part.

no you are correct. Remington brass is firmer and the Tula primers are a just a touch bigger. But, before the ammo craze we did use the federal magnum match primers as they are a bit better quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almost half of those rounds were shot from the same box of 50 brass(19 firings). It may never wear out.....

Pat, I remembered you switched from Tula LRM to GM210M recently. Do the 210M (and 215M) fit the notoriously "generous" Rem primer pocket better than the Tula? What are the actual performance differences between these primers for the 6.5 GAP round, and what would be good alternatives as all three of these primers are now impossible to find?

Pat, I remembered you switched from Tula LRM to GM210M recently. Do the 210M (and 215M) fit the notoriously "generous" Rem primer pocket better than the Tula? What are the actual performance differences between these primers for the 6.5 GAP round, and what would be good alternatives as all three of these primers are now impossible to find?

Not impossible to find. You just have to be very diligent in your search for them. I recently found 5k Federal 210's at at local shop. He told me they get them in about once every couple months. I also heard from an industry pro that Tula is available.

Last edited:
Not impossible to find. You just have to be very diligent in your search for them. I recently found 5k Federal 210's at at local shop. He told me they get them in about once every couple months. I also heard from an industry pro that Tula is available.

How many firings are you guys getting with Rem brass and 215m primers? What length are you trimming your brass to?

Expecting my gun to arrive within the next few weeks. Just finished loading my first 30 test rounds to find "the" load. I was a bit disappointed with the runout on the rounds. Hoping the brass after initial firing / fire forming straitens out a bit.

I'm really curious to see if these are going to outlast my .260 barrel. If its even close ill be switching over to the 4s as my primary round, not just a hunting round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, folks talk about the Kool - aid. Looking for a glass myself

Filled out my form and shipped my stiller action to GAP this afternoon. It was a 7 Saum. But I was having some issues with it so finally gave up. Was really thinking of buying a new bolt and doing either a 260 or 6.5x47 but after reading (took a few sessions) figured I'd make the leap. Actually not that hard either. Already have the dies, brass and most other pieces. Have exactly 1 pound of H1000 but I'm on the hunt for more. Build will be my new sheep rifle, somewhat odd for some since I'm looking for a finished rifle at about 10-11 pounds. Live in Ak so sheep to me is kind of like the annual mule deer hunt for some. Kicker for me was running numbers. Very flat sure, but energy numbers sealed the deal

General build specs
Left handed Stiller Predator
Jewell trigger
March 2.5x24
Homegrown stock but have a high tech specialties just in case I don't hit target weight, but balance may be an issue

My form listed a wish list for a Bartlien rem varmint 13 at 24 inches. Bartlien lists them at 4.65 lbs at 26. Any idea out there what my finished barrel weight might be? That's my only weight i can't fill in. Guessing 4.2 or so?

Lastly dies, took a bit to find but here is what poster said a fella needs for parts

Redding part no. 11263, 6.5mm Decap assembly
Redding part no. 09167, VLD micrometer seating assembly
Neck bushings of proper size

I have the redding sizer covered. And all the K&M tooling to turn necks. But I'm using a RCBS seater. I don't see that they offer the vld seater stem. Are any folks using a RCBS seater, if so what mods did you make? Should I just be looking for a redding seater?

Have a bit of time to wait, but want to start pulling all my items together, down to more powder, bullets and a seater. More than exited about putting some down range!

Last edited:
Don't worry, you're not the only one hauling a 10lb sheep rifle :) I think most are using a 7mm vld seater in redding dies... Someone in the know will chime in I'm sure... I'm having a Wilson seater made for mine...

The one item I am still kicking around is having a vais brake but on while I'm at it. On the 7saum I'm replacing, I had a pretty aggressive 3-port brake. End of the day I shot without it, just would rather have the recoil than the muzzle blast it created.

That said, I've been do more hunts on my own, or a maximum, one other person. It's having the ability to spot my shots is where I'm going.

For those that shoot both, how is the noise, concussion, for the shooter with the vais VS the side ported jobs? Are there other "shooter friendly" brakes? A bear I took this last fall comes to mind, solo, low light, three shots on target, but no idea where I was hitting besides reaction once I came back on target. I would have love to have spotted hits.

I have and had both Vais & side ported brakes. The Vais has less concussion than the side ported but did not notice it really with either. The Vais is quieter in my opinion and does a better job reducing recoil.

The only detraction I can speak of abou the Vais is porting exhausting to ground when shooting prone, but really is not bad.
The Vais is an awesome brake in my opinion. Can't beat it for the slimmer contours.

Where is the accuracy node "speed" with the 140s. 28" barrel 1/8 twist. 61gr retumbo gets me 3100fps. Thanks

The one item I am still kicking around is having a vais brake but on while I'm at it. On the 7saum I'm replacing, I had a pretty aggressive 3-port brake. End of the day I shot without it, just would rather have the recoil than the muzzle blast it created.

That said, I've been do more hunts on my own, or a maximum, one other person. It's having the ability to spot my shots is where I'm going.

For those that shoot both, how is the noise, concussion, for the shooter with the vais VS the side ported jobs? Are there other "shooter friendly" brakes? A bear I took this last fall comes to mind, solo, low light, three shots on target, but no idea where I was hitting besides reaction once I came back on target. I would have love to have spotted hits.

I really like Darrel Holland's brake. I've accidentally shot them without ear protection before and it wasn't near as bad as a typical radial port brake (Hart style is the worst I've seen). He puts a lot of thought into making his stuff hunter friendly and this brake is no exception. It also doesn't add a lot of bulk to the end of the barrel and is very comparable to a fitted Vias. I have both Vias and Holland and if I was building another gun tomorrow and braking it I would go Holland FWIW.

This might be a dumb question, but what does the BC change to if you point your boooolits on the 130vlds

orrbull48, Very early in this thread, someone commented of the change, or at least I'm pretty sure.

BUT, on the dies, I really like my other whidden dies, So what changes will need to made to the process of using 300 or 7 brass? With the bushing sizer, is it simply using the proper bushings to bring it down?? Or would a guy still need the 7saum die for original neck sizing?

Last edited:

News Flash!!!

For guys wanting to run Suppressors on their extreme hunter rifles. John and James at Silencerco have made Their Harvester Suppressor available with special threads to fit the Extreme hunters!

mysa6y5e.jpg
dyneqeze.jpg

Stay tuned for a Mini Silencerco Harvester Group buy!

By the way the it only weighs 11 oz

Last edited:
News Flash!!!

For guys wanting to run Suppressors on their extreme hunter rifles. John and James at Silencerco have made Their Harvester Suppressor available with special threads to fit the Extreme hunters!

mysa6y5e.jpg
dyneqeze.jpg

badass looking can !!

George send me a prototype and I'll test it for you! Can they make adapters in 5/8x24 and 3/4x28 so we can use our current cans? Any idea on price points on the Harvester or sounds levels?
Chicken

The Harvester is a badass suppressor. I think the Big Bore is under $1300.00 but I don't recall 100% of what they told me. Depends how many are bought at once.

I am in for one for sure!!!!

Just a fair warning for anybody that is going to run a can and run lots of H1000 which is the go to powder in the Extreme Hunter. H1000 will create carbon fouling about 10x faster than other powders out there. I don't know why this is but my TBAC 30P-1 with 5000 rounds of mostly H1000 powder loads is extremely dirtier than one running say H4350 or something. It weighed in at 24.2 oz the other day compared to the 16-17 oz it weighs new. Zak Smith will confirm this data as he has seen it as well as myself. Not saying you can't or shouldn't run one with H1000 but just beware H1000 is a carbon fouling bitch in a can and be prepared to clean it sooner than you think.

I was going to build another 6 but decided that this had some serious potential. Finished build a couple weeks ago,, tac rig on a deviant. Will post rifle pics later. I went through lots of combinations but finally found a tuned load. Here are some the final groups it was doing when trying to find the sweet spot. The 3 shot was the last group shot with a seating depth tweak to take the smidge of vertical out. More load info to come. This is out of a 27.5" 8.5 twist bartlein (med palma) and the hybrids are pointed and bn coated.

Went and ran my steel out to 700yds in a 15mph crosswind. Bang bang bang ding ding ding. It is definitely a wind cheating sob.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Smith work done by Eric Miller @ sage flats shooters,, Jordan MT. I do my own bedding. Defiance Deviant, Manners T4F, surgeon bm and 8.5 twist bartlein,, all topped with the 5-40 March. SRT XL Ti hangs on the end.

I have both alpha and accurate mags and the 6.5 saum has been running very smooth out of both.

I could only scrounge up 50 pieces of remmy 7 brass and I like it better than the 250 pieces of Norma that I'm running. Had to drop a bushing size after the second firing with the Norma to keep same neck tension, they stretch pretty fast as well. I did run the same 3 pieces of Norma brass through 9 firings and pp stayed tight.

I formed first through a standard 270 wsm die with base ground down. Then bushing to slightly undersized so only slight expansion needed. Trimmed then turned.

My last three shots through the chrono went 3131 3134 3136.

This rifle/cartridge combo has already earned spot in the line up for this years match rifles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
AND you failed to mention this when I was at your shop Monday???? ;)

News Flash!!!

mysa6y5e.jpg
dyneqeze.jpg

Just a fair warning for anybody that is going to run a can and run lots of H1000 which is the go to powder in the Extreme Hunter. H1000 will create carbon fouling about 10x faster than other powders out there. I don't know why this is but my TBAC 30P-1 with 5000 rounds of mostly H1000 powder loads is extremely dirtier than one running say H4350 or something. It weighed in at 24.2 oz the other day compared to the 16-17 oz it weighs new. Zak Smith will confirm this data as he has seen it as well as myself. Not saying you can't or shouldn't run one with H1000 but just beware H1000 is a carbon fouling bitch in a can and be prepared to clean it sooner than you think.

Did that CRS stuff work to clean it out ?

I was going to build another 6 but decided that this had some serious potential. Finished build a couple weeks ago,, tac rig on a deviant. Will post rifle pics later. I went through lots of combinations but finally found a tuned load. Here are some the final groups it was doing when trying to find the sweet spot. The 3 shot was the last group shot with a seating depth tweak to take the smidge of vertical out. More load info to come. This is out of a 27.5" 8.5 twist bartlein (med palma) and the hybrids are pointed and bn coated.

Went and ran my steel out to 700yds in a 15mph crosswind. Bang bang bang ding ding ding. It is definitely a wind cheating sob.

Norma brass? and what was your final seating depth.

Did that CRS stuff work to clean it out ?

It was CLR and I think mine is too far gone for CLR to handle all that fouling in a timely manner at least. 48 hours soaking only yielded me .5 oz of carbon out. It looked like a ton of stuff came out but the scale showed otherwise. Even through I didn't do much weight wise it does sound a lot better so I must have got the carbon out of the right places lol.

Smith work done by Eric Miller @ sage flats shooters,, Jordan MT. I do my own bedding. Defiance Deviant, Manners T4F, surgeon bm and 8.5 twist bartlein,, all topped with the 5-40 March. SRT XL Ti hangs on the end.

I have both alpha and accurate mags and the 6.5 saum has been running very smooth out of both.

I could only scrounge up 50 pieces of remmy 7 brass and I like it better than the 250 pieces of Norma that I'm running. Had to drop a bushing size after the second firing with the Norma to keep same neck tension, they stretch pretty fast as well. I did run the same 3 pieces of Norma brass through 9 firings and pp stayed tight.

I formed first through a standard 270 wsm die with base ground down. Then bushing to slightly undersized so only slight expansion needed. Trimmed then turned.

My last three shots through the chrono went 3131 3134 3136.

This rifle/cartridge combo has already earned spot in the line up for this years match rifles.

That's a good looking rifle!! It's too bad we didn't meet up before I moved from RC last year. How do you like the Manners folder? What does the rifle and scope weigh? Once again, good looking rifle, I'm sure it shoots even better.