• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

[video=youtube;-GiAWtHAzHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GiAWtHAzHU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Shooting the GAP built 6.5 SAUM
Using 130gr Berger VLD's pointed in Rem brass.

Has anyone ran one with a little lighter contour than the Bartlien #3. The bartlien 3's I've had are a little heavier than say a Brux or a Rock #3. I have a Rock # 3 I'd like to use but its an 8 twist. I talked to someone at Gap and they said I might be better off selling it and using one of their bartlien #3's in a little slower twist but I prefer the lighter contour of the Rock. I also have a Brux 8.5 in a rem mag contour that's been on order for 3 months and should be here in October. That might be a decent one to use too.

Also, did anyone figure out what the latest freebore is? And, are the no neck turn versions shooting well?

Thanks,
Bb

Awesome guys, thanks for the help! That was the info I was looking for. Thanks Michael and Pat.

Pat, ya, I sat in an office all day while you were out shooting... awesome... huh

Nick

Awesome guys, thanks for the help! That was the info I was looking for. Thanks Michael and Pat.

Pat, ya, I sat in an office all day while you were out shooting... awesome... huh

Nick

Laffin'.....It's lousy work, but someone has to do it...

Pat,

This just keeps getting better and better! Any specific reason for change from Tula LRM to Fed 210M primers? Just worked better, or just had them on hand?

Marty

Cool video.

What's with the stiff bolt play? Are the bullets seated too long? Headspace issues?

New barrel, tight neck, brand new formed brass. They do take a bit of fire forming to get really smooth. Seems like the 130's are just tight.... Once the throat wears in, you are good to go.

OK I'm in... sent my downpayment in this morning. Slight changes to the original design. It's going to be a long 6 - 8 month wait, but I am excited. Gives me time to find all the ammo components and reloading equipment needed for this round.
Thanks for the excellent discussion here.

Cool video.

What's with the stiff bolt play? Are the bullets seated too long? Headspace issues?

Papa with brand new ammo the necks if they are not turned all the way to the shoulder it will be a little stiff chambering for the first firing. after they are shot the neck to sholder forms corectly . Or when you size them down initially you just turn the neck all the way into the shoulder about.0005 to .001 that also works.

Talley Lightweight, Nesika Bay, low, 30mm on the Templar with March 3-24x42mm fit perfectly!!

I am long badger rings and bases....

Papa with brand new ammo the necks if they are not turned all the way to the shoulder it will be a little stiff chambering for the first firing. after they are shot the neck to sholder forms corectly . Or when you size them down initially you just turn the neck all the way into the shoulder about.0005 to .001 that also works.

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the feedback.

Pat,

This just keeps getting better and better! Any specific reason for change from Tula LRM to Fed 210M primers? Just worked better, or just had them on hand?

Marty

I knew those were the primers Nick had on hand.....Also happen to have about 15K of them laying around.....grin!

Just catching up on this thread. I shoot Ramshot magnum in mine and it works great. 65 grains in rem brass with a fed 215 and a 140 JLK was giving me 3150 with only 30 rounds down the tube. I now have 135 down her an am guessing the velocity has come up 25-30fps after bbl broke in. Specs are pierce action, 24" Mullerworks tube, Mcmillian gamescout, leupy 4.5-14x50.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 22
George, I'm fairly new to neck turning, but why would you ever go through all the trouble of turning necks and not turn slightly into the shoulder?

George, I'm fairly new to neck turning, but why would you ever go through all the trouble of turning necks and not turn slightly into the shoulder?

Not George but I think people turning necks for this cartridge are initially sizing the necks with a Redding bushing die. That die will not size the neck all the way to the shoulder and when turning you would stop short of the neck where this unreduced portion is left. There is a good picture showing this in psinclair's Care And Feeding Of A GAP 6.5 SAUM..... thread in the reloading section http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/195161-care-feeding-gap-6-5-saum.html

Last edited:
According to my ammo maker, (JOSHBERG @ C4), the necks were turned on my brass so not sure why they stick and the 140gr loads do not.

Some people are using LR primers and others LR Magnum primers. Is there a consensus and which is best? Has anyone tried both, and if so, what were your findings?

Slowly trying to find all the components and reloading gear needed for this round. Help would be appreciated.

Those pictures make this flatlander look forward to October! Not something I see in Indiana...

12 customer xtreme hunters finishing up , by months end. I put in 3 more to be completed by Mid October. These will be Non Typical hunters in 6.5 SAUM. And I have 800 rounds of loaded ammo available, "Just in time for hunting Season" !!

Nick

Your Welcome Nick.

I loaded up 10 140 VLDs with 5 WLRM and 5 BR2 primers. I loaded to George's length of 2.900. I also had the Chrony on them but having issues with the sun and chrony. First couple of readings was 3072/3080 fps and the rest was skewed by over 200 fps-all over the place. No difference between the primer as far as accuracy and did not get good readings on chrony to see if primers changed anything up there. This Crusader just loves the 61 of H1000 from 2.900-2.915 in my rifle. I am still playing-like to see where the other node is at without getting into pressure issues.

Crusader 24" 1-8.5 twist...
Two 5 shot groups below:

12 customer xtreme hunters finishing up , by months end. I put in 3 more to be completed by Mid October. These will be Non Typical hunters in 6.5 SAUM. And I have 800 rounds of loaded ammo available, "Just in time for hunting Season" !!

I'll take a hundred rounds!! Will call in the morning to place a order.

Wonder how one of these bad boys would do on a LA 700....?

Is it bad that I'm already planning my next barrel for a rifle that hasn't even been finished yet?

This thread sucks.... :D

Could a tika in 260 with a 9 twist be rechabered to the 6.5 4S ? If gap uses a 8.7 a 9 should be less pressure without loosing anything???

It was a compliment indeed :D

Well, for no reason other than it's what I have around nowadays. I have a 280 AI coming, and thought after that barrel is toast it might be fun to play around with...

So us budget guys would need to look
Into a short action savage with a WSM
Bolt face to try this caliber? George do
You know of any savage after market
Barrles pre chambered in the 6.5S 4 ?

Last edited:
So us budget guys would need to look
Into a short action savage with a WSM
Bolt face to try this caliber? George do
You know of any savage after market
Barrles pre chambered in the 6.5S 4 ?

Not George, but I don't think any of the standard prefit makers have any variation of the 6.5SAUM on their chamber list.

You could always buy a blank and send it to a smith (like GAP) to be chambered for your Savage, or buy the GAP 4S reamer from PTG and send it to Criterion and have them chamber prefit for you. Jim @ Northland Shooter Supply can get you more info about that.

It will feed, just need a DBM that takes Alpha mags - Also a magnum bolt would work but good luck trying to get one by itself. I'll try to get some pics of mine up soon, just needs some massaging of the stock since it started life as a McM Rem 700 SA stock ;-)

Wrong bolt face. I dont know whaere we could get a WSM tikka bolt and I dont think it would feed.

Well there are a ton of Tika's in 300 WSM on gun broker? So they would just need rebarrled, chambered in 6.5 4S right??? they are straight clip feed, so shouldn't be a problem? This should work right ? Anybody have the 6.5 reamer that can tread a Barrle for a tika?

Last edited:
Definitely something to their reamer/chamber design. I've had a gun in this caliber since '09 and I'm getting no where near the speed out of this round that has been reported. I had my gun built by Gre' Tan rifles and he builds all of his chambers tight. Some calibers aren't as sensitive as the saum. I was hitting pressure with H-1000 at 57gr. The gun shoots great but a mild load wears the primer pockets out in about 3 runs and as any of you know that are making the brass right now that is the only downside to this caliber.

Called the boys at GAP a few weeks back and got the gun to them to have it chambered with their reamer. Barrel only had about 850-900 rds on it so hopefully I'll get to have some fun with it for a while once its finished. Can't wait to burn through the stack of 140's on my bench right now!

Well there are a ton of Tika's in 300 WSM on gun broker? So they would just need rebarrled, chambered in 6.5 4S right??? they are straight clip feed, so shouldn't be a problem? This should work right ? Anybody have the 6.5 reamer that can tread a Barrle for a tika?

Tikka mags are not much if any bigger than what the saami spec says the oal should be. I think it would feed but you won't get the oal length that these guys are loading to

.284. In regards to OAL length there is bottom metal for tika that uses AI mags.. The same mags they are using... So far WSM bolt face 6.5 Barrle in 8.7 twist and bottom metal. Budget deal seems possible?

[video=youtube;-GiAWtHAzHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GiAWtHAzHU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Shooting the GAP built 6.5 SAUM
Using 130gr Berger VLD's pointed in Rem brass.

Do you have a two stage trigger on that? It looks like there is a little play to it.

Do you have it set to ounces? From the video it looks like your finger is tapping it then tapping it a lil harder to fire.

Could just be the video. Looks like a nice shooting platform. Thanks for posting the video.

Tikka mags are not much if any bigger than what the saami spec says the oal should be. I think it would feed but you won't get the oal length that these guys are loading to
I thought with the Tikka Magazine they were all the same size, just a block in the back that limits the space? I've being trying to find dimensions for them but haven't found them yet and my T3 isn't back from my smith yet so I can't check it myself.

Does anyone stock 8.7tw barrels? I am looking for a barrel in AMU contour to finish around 26". I have a Kreiger 8tw but didn't know if I am better off saving that for when I rebarrel my 260 or if i should just use it. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I thought with the Tikka Magazine they were all the same size, just a block in the back that limits the space? I've being trying to find dimensions for them but haven't found them yet and my T3 isn't back from my smith yet so I can't check it myself.

Yes you're right, the mags are the same length just blocked for the specific cartridge.

I'm not sure if the block is removable/swappable, if it is you could go that route (i think stock the .300wsm is 2.850?) or you could modify to fit?