• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

That is GAP camo in a flectarn pattern. The metal is done in black. There are several guys that can do that for you but I would use Custom Gun Coatings. Branden is the owner and he is on this site [MENTION=16310]Short-bus[/MENTION] is his username. He is in Kansas City and can take care of the camo part.
Mino flaws are not going to be noticed in the molded in camo, I have several and they all look great. The rifle pictured is PAINTED.

Do you have manners and mcmillian over molded stocks ? Do the unnoticeable flows pertain to both brands ?

No bad blood. But if I had to take a guess Moon used a tight bore. He was into those and uses them a lot. Check the Bore Size. Everything we have built and tested is SAMI bore size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought all the components and sent them to Moon. It's a Bartlein barrel from Grizzly with a .256/.264 bore. I don't know if that's good or bad. I also ordered the Gap 6.5 4s reamer Print#54565 neck turn freebore .081. So it nothing different that has been done here. Maybe its something that I am doing wrong. I am going to try rem brass and Retumbo.

All my brass are my handloads.

I bought all the components and sent them to Moon. It's a Bartlein barrel from Grizzly with a .256/.264 bore. I don't know if that's good or bad. I also ordered the Gap 6.5 4s reamer Print#54565 neck turn freebore .081. So it nothing different that has been done here. Maybe its something that I am doing wrong. I am going to try rem brass and Retumbo.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/195161-care-feeding-gap-6-5-saum.html
Are you preparing your brass exactly the same way Pat prepares his brass?

Sky,
I think it is your brass length, the print of your reamer shows 2.025" is the max length for your brass. Have you checked the chamber? If this is so you will need to trim @ 2.020 or a little shorter, I always trim .007" shorter than my chamber measures. This would cause your problem, scrap on case head and stiff bolt lift and no primer issues since the brass has no place to flow. What does your fired brass measure? Just my .02
Sully

Gap chambered my rifle with the new reamer. I'm loading pointed 130 vlds at 2.870 and got good hits out to around 1500yds today. 11.9 mils of elevation got the 130's there in a hurry.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the reamer. What ammo/brass did you use? And for the heck of it what is the length of your fired cases.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the reamer. What ammo/brass did you use? And for the heck of it what is the length of your fired cases.

I'm using both Norma 300 Saum and Rem 7mm saum brass. Norma cases are still short at 2.020 fired and Rem cases are at 2.025 fired.

Thanks for that info Brad, what was the Remmy before firing? What was the 300 before firing?Makes since on the 300 Norma if you got it from CC because my lot from them is 2.011". Just collecting data for my log

I trimmed the Rem to 2.024. I didn't measure the Norma before I fired it. I'm gonna have all my brass annealed after the first firing, then begin testing for accuracy.

Thank you for the info again. After I finished prepping (necking down and turning) I annealed and do on each cycle on all my calibers. I'm also very curious to hear Sky's reply as well and hope he gets it resolved as this will help all involved doing one of these 6.5 SAUM'S. After I get mine spun up it will be interesting to see what the max brass length is on the new turn reamer.
Merry Christmas
Sully

Do you have manners and mcmillian over molded stocks ? Do the unnoticeable flows pertain to both brands ?

Not really sure what you are asking here….. are you talking about molded colors?
Why are you so hung up on the stock colors?

Not really sure what you are asking here….. are you talking about molded colors?
Why are you so hung up on the stock colors?

you mentioned that you had several rifles with molded in colors. I was curious if they were both from Manners and McMiliian and if the job quality was about the same . Both factory's say that there are flaws in molded in process. You mentioned that there not noticeable. I was curious if this was true with both brands of rifles. I really am heavily decided on the Manners carbon SL stock but not to overly excited with their camo stlyes. This is what drives me to a McMillian HTG GAP camo .

The rifle listed at the beginning with the Frecton paint job is dynamite looking. It catches my eye the most. Just a bit worried of scratching the paint off. this is my first custom build and Im just overly trying to get it just perfect.

you mentioned that you had several rifles with molded in colors. I was curious if they were both from Manners and McMiliian and if the job quality was about the same . Both factory's say that there are flaws in molded in process. You mentioned that there not noticeable. I was curious if this was true with both brands of rifles. I really am heavily decided on the Manners carbon SL stock but not to overly excited with their camo stlyes. This is what drives me to a McMillian HTG GAP camo .

The rifle listed at the beginning with the Frecton paint job is dynamite looking. It catches my eye the most. Just a bit worried of scratching the paint off. this is my first custom build and Im just overly trying to get it just perfect.

I do have a couple McMillan's but more Manners stocks then anything else. I prefer the construction over anything else, looks are secondary. It is just a bonus that Tom's stocks look as great as they perform.
You really need to let the whole "I want it perfect and pristine" go. If you are building a rifle then expect some scratches and chips. If you want a safe queen then go super elaborate on the stock. The paint will chip but you will really have to beat on it.

Its called GAP Flectarn pattern.

Molded in colors will be hard to keep perfect lines because of the assembly process and then once that gel coat goes down, its anyones best guess. That's why no two stocks are the same in looks.

I do have a couple McMillan's but more Manners stocks then anything else. I prefer the construction over anything else, looks are secondary. It is just a bonus that Tom's stocks look as great as they perform.
You really need to let the whole "I want it perfect and pristine" go. If you are building a rifle then expect some scratches and chips. If you want a safe queen then go super elaborate on the stock. The paint will chip but you will really have to beat on it.

Its called GAP Flectarn pattern.

Molded in colors will be hard to keep perfect lines because of the assembly process and then once that gel coat goes down, its anyones best guess. That's why no two stocks are the same in looks.

Thank you. Ive owed a bell carlson and an HS stock and was satisfied with the durability. Im im no way looking for a safe queen. Im just getting ready to drop big coins towards a rifle and making sure im doing the right thing. Excitement and lots of options . The custom paint should serve me just fine as I will take your experienced word for it. I really appreciate your help and wisdom.

Thank you. Ive owed a bell carlson and an HS stock and was satisfied with the durability. Im im no way looking for a safe queen. Im just getting ready to drop big coins towards a rifle and making sure im doing the right thing. Excitement and lots of options . The custom paint should serve me just fine as I will take your experienced word for it. I really appreciate your help and wisdom.

You will be happy with a painted on finish. Have him put an extra coat of clear on it. Branden will take care of you on that. Good Luck.

Agree with KYS - go with the painted SL stock. It will get scratched, dinged, gouged, and you can always have it repainted. Can't do that with a McSwirly or molded in finish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to worry about painted finish! I have an MCS-TA with 5 color flectarn before Manners stopped them in-house (the stock shown on the web site) and it has been hunted with for 3 years I've banged it all you could and the durability is greater than I could have hoped for.
Custom paint will cost, but it's too cool not to have and it's like a thumb print, won't be another like it!

Either way, it's still a Manners...

Does the Manners SL stock have that " hollow " sound in the butt like a Tikka T3 ? Thank you all for the kind shared information

Off topic but how many are hot rodding there's? For those that don't really care about barrel life I know it goes against the low pressure big barrel life idea though just interested to see speeds others are getting?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

These x hunters got me worried sick.

I think there's more talk about paint on this forum than between my wife and daughters about their fingernails.

I'm thinking the weight will be coming down on LRP rifles in the next few years and rigs like these are leading the way.

Are you guys carrying shooting sticks along on your hunts? Wondering about those Montana slings.

That's a really nice set of criteria these rifles meet. Great idea.

Last edited:
From Tom....the Elite hunters weight in at 24-25oz and the Elite Tactical (non-adj) are about 34-35. So 10oz and not a full pound. Just pointing out to him that the molded options will add some weight which many are looking to do the opposite for a hunting rig.

Manners responded to me today and said the "molded in" color process on the SL stock adds 8oz .

Off topic but how many are hot rodding there's? For those that don't really care about barrel life I know it goes against the low pressure big barrel life idea though just interested to see speeds others are getting?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

no need or desire at all to "hot rod" for me.

the way they perform at the speeds we are shooting them and having the all the benefits... no brainer, to leave it be :)

256/264 is normal bore size.

Remington Brass will help alot, Retumbo is consistent but burns real dirty, Try Rem brass and H1000. If you have the same results I suspect something else is going on. I think we are up to about 100 6.5 SAUMs built and no-one has had any problems with pressure with those loads.

I trimmed the Rem to 2.024. I didn't measure the Norma before I fired it. I'm gonna have all my brass annealed after the first firing, then begin testing for accuracy.

All brass should be trimmed to 2.015 - 2.020

If starting with 300 SAUM brass you might be a little short at first, thats ok. trim only enough to be uniform. It will grow a little with the first 2-3 firings

All brass should be trimmed to 2.015 - 2.020

If starting with 300 SAUM brass you might be a little short at first, thats ok. trim only enough to be uniform. It will grow a little with the first 2-3 firings

Ahhh, been waiting for this info, I thought so, makes more sense after checking the reamer prints!
Thanks George

I assumed a little more speed gains. At this potential small gain its probably not worth the added weight /length since a muzzle break will be added as well.

Is there a cycling difference between the bottom metal mag and hinged floor plate on this new long nosed bad ass cartridge ?

Last edited:
Is there a cycling difference between the bottom metal clip and hinged floor plate on this new long nosed bad ass cartridge ?

8510-8509-8508-8507.jpg

256/264 is normal bore size.

Remington Brass will help alot, Retumbo is consistent but burns real dirty, Try Rem brass and H1000. If you have the same results I suspect something else is going on. I think we are up to about 100 6.5 SAUMs built and no-one has had any problems with pressure with those loads.

Approximately how many reloads could be expected using the Remington brass, H1000 , 130vld suggested load?

Thanks.
I dont reload and Im looking for every bit of good reason to
Buy a GAP 6.5. :) The 5bucks a round trough Copper Creek wasn't encouraging.
But I really do want this caliber and most important I want it built with GAP
Quality. ..........so it appears this guy needs some reloading dies,
because its about to get real.

So Exciting !!!!

Approximately how many reloads could be expected using the Remington brass, H1000 , 130vld suggested load?

I believe KYS stated around 8-10 reloads with Rem brass. I believe you can get more out of the norma brass which is a bit more expensive up front.

Thanks for those pictures. I feel better informed as to the appropriate use of this particular load. For me at least if I were to take this gun on a Alaska grizzly hunt, I would want to find a bullet that retained more of it's weight for deeper penetration if it hit a heavy bone.

here is my 130 gr berger recovered from my mule deer, shot at 75 yards with 6.5 SAUM 4S

Berger reads that their VDL will penetrate trough bone and tissue up to 1800lbs of energy. Where does the 6.5 SAUM 130 VLD drop below 1800lbs / elk shoulder shots

Quick check with hornady basic calculator says 900yrds it will still be running 1800fps for a unpointed 130.