• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

I re-purposed a Rem 700 McM A-TH for my build (I bought mine when it was still called an A-Hole, hehe) The only concern I would have if using it as a hunter/
walking rifle is if I was to fall while my hand was in the pistol grip - could end up with a dislocated or busted thumb due to how small the thumbhole is. Other
than that concern I love the ergonomics on it![/QUOTE/ )

Striker thanks for that ! apart from the size of the thumbhole, how did you find it to shoot offhand ? either for a snap or deliberate shot ?

Laurie

Big question:

Bought the 6.5SAUM die set from Josh at CC. Removed the seater plug that came with it and installed the 55748 7mm VLD seater plug he shipped to me. Using RCBS #38 shell holder with a RCBS Rockchucker IV press, I have the micrometer seater die cranked all the way down and I can only seat the bullet to 3.140" COAL. I can't seat it any deeper.

What do I do from here?

Posted in care and feeding also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figured it out! The competition seating die compresses up into the die body... Duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from the range ooh baby am I pumped. 5-3 shot groups worst was 3/4" best 5/16". Will post pics when I get a chance. Have to run 45 minutes one way back to the range to get all my info on my note book. Darn

WOW!!! I have only got through the first 11 pages but had to register and get a post in this thread. I have shot a 6.5RSAUM for a couple years and there is so much info here. I tried H4350 with 140 grain Moly Berger VLD's. I was getting 3250 with no pressure and good accuracy. I like the Retumbo option though as I have a lot of it on hand. I have a pile of questions:

1) What does pointing your bullets do for accuracy? Is it necessary for 500 to 800 yard shooting or more for 1000 yards?
2) Is Retumbo as good as H1000 as far as keeping pressure down and velocity at 3100-3300 fps with the 140's?
3) What barrel length is needed as I have a 31" 5R Bartlein 8" twist light palma for a hunting rifle build.

I have a lot more but I will sit back and learn from the answers I get from these. Thanks guys.

David

Can someone give me the measurement of base to ogive when touching lands for 140 hybrids in a rifle with the newest reamer? I think I need some new calipers lol

Alan

For me the 140 hybrid touch the land at 2.220 ogive mesured with hornady comparator
My loaded round are at 2.207

I'm glad to see this caliber gaining popularity with shooters. I have been shooting it since George first came online with it. I have taken several coyotes with it and it was all one shot and done. This past Sunday I dropped a 50 lb female coyote at over 675 yards from a standing postion. I was using the hood of my truck as support with a bag under my bipod. I used my dope and fired, clean hit and she dropped. I am always stunned and happy with the results I am getting from the 6.5 SAUM.

The load for my kimber:

Load info:
300 Saum norma brass neck down and turned for a .295" neck in a .298"'chamber
61.5 grs H1000
Berger 130 vld hunting
CCI Br2 primer

Velocity is around 3270 fps out of a 25" barrel. I double checked that with another chrono and double checked with another powder scale to verify everything. My reamer has some issues and I ended up with almost zero freebore. My 100 yd groupings have been 3/8-1/2". No evident pressure signs at the moment.

My only long range group was at 620 yards. I would have been a 3" grouping but I jerked a shot and it ended up as a 6" group. Very happy with the end result.

Thanks to all the guys who made this happen.

PS Didn't mean for that to sound like I don't appreciate the info posted here. Just that this thread is getting kinda long and harder to find needed info. Posting your load data in the other thread as well would be helpful.

Dude it's yours brother been fn busy with work, work, and school, and twins on the way!!!! Ahhh hit me up day after tomorrow

Here ya go George....got out and shot the setup yesterday and I am very impressed with this combo...so much so I am going to be putting up my March scope up for sale....the glass for me is on par with March and the eye box is better for me.
I really like this reticle for hunting.

Chrono my load...checked the dope and bing, bing, bing all the way out to 700 yds no problem...scope so clear could see the direction of the wind with the mirage at 700 yds.

Can't wait for elk season!!

Need to see some pictures and Reviews of the New LRHS on some Extreme hunters, the two were made to be together!!!

I will post up what I have this weekend. I have about 100 rounds down it now. Got it zero'd and shot some groups just to confirm. Now I need to start collecting the data. :D

Hey, that's one good looking rifle! ;-)

Here ya go George....got out and shot the setup yesterday and I am very impressed with this combo...so much so I am going to be putting up my March scope up for sale....the glass for me is on par with March and the eye box is better for me.
I really like this reticle for hunting.

Chrono my load...checked the dope and bing, bing, bing all the way out to 700 yds no problem...scope so clear could see the direction of the wind with the mirage at 700 yds.

Can't wait for elk season!!

Thinking a Heavy Saum is in the near future ! 4S fanatic ! :)

Hey Sendero, I shot the high score at our local long range match with the "heavy 6.5 SAUM/24lbs with scope " last weekend, pretty cool! Recoil is so light it's surprising, which are the first words coming out of the mouth of whoever has shot the rifle. .2 mill less wind than most other guys, easy to spot misses in the dirt and whacks steel HARD. Of course you already know about the last 3.

Thinking a Heavy Saum is in the near future ! 4S fanatic ! :)

My thoughts, too. I really like my X-treme Hunter, but now that I have the loads and gear really nailed down, I can see where this would be my go-to range caliber, especially if it were heavy enough to support threads and a suppressor. This cartridge is just a blast to shoot.