• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

I have been following this for months-amazing thread. Finally decided to post....

Every rifle here looks amazing and the performance seems great. Must.............Stop................Looking..............

I think I am thirsty and the only cure is Koooolaid. Might just have to dive in for some 6.5 awesomeness.

I'm about to place an order for a custom 6.5 S4. The plan is:

Manners T5A, Elite Tactical in dark forest camo
Medium Palma bbl
Templar II
Tuned rem trigger
March 3-24x52
Metal painted to match the brown in the stocks scheme.

The goal is around 12 lbs w/ scope.

Successful day at the range with the new titanium

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 27
Second time out. Finally got the rifle together with stock. Still working on a rear bag rider. Shooting was a bit awkward without it. Worked to 63 grains of H1000. No pressure signs on primer and no hard bolt lift. About 1 out of 5 cases showed a small plunger mark. Not sure what's up here. My 7saum would do this too. Not sure if it's just a function of the short mags? Anyway her she is. At 63 averaged 3150 fps. 48 rounds through the rifle. First outing with the magnospeed too. Absolutely love this unit. It's the v1. 5 shot group. Blaming most of it on me. My hold was not great with the buttstock high in the bag. Shot smaller than this too. This was average. target is rotated clockwise in post.

Last edited:
I absolutely love this caliber especially after this morning. My buddy and I each have one and went out early and shot them at 1500 yards. It was only like 3mph winds early on so it was good to test them. I made a chart and dialed my dope and the first round was maybe 4" left of center! It was like shooting my Lapua without the recoil and less elevation! I then decided to try something...I would pick out a little rock around the target - sometimes 100-150 yards short of the 1500. Dial what I thought on the chart-fire one round, work bolt fast and back on target right when it hit. Correct if needed and send another really quick and it was right on target or an inch or two away. Did the same with a 2 liter soda bottle at 1500.

If you're thinking about one of these, buy it and you will love it!

I don't think I'll shoot the Lapua much anymore :)

ALan

Xtreme hunter in Alaska!
5ytubu8y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring black bear in Prince William Sound? I'll be doing the same thing in 2 weeks when I get off work up north. Wish I had my Extreme Hunter that's on order!

Until that day,
Darkop

George... Which bullet you using for the bears? When you kill one, lets see the damage and of course your trophy..

Enjoy the trip.

Are the berger 130 vld hunting bullet the exact same as the berger 130 vld target bullets? Same bullet just different marketing strategy?

Are the berger 130 vld hunting bullet the exact same as the berger 130 vld target bullets? Same bullet just different marketing strategy?

They have a great article about it on their website that I read. You will fine with either one for hunting basically.

No need to switch after the results from the JLK and Berger Hybrids came in!

KYS,
Can you point me in the direction of any results with the Berger 140 6.5 Hybrid target bullets for Hunting applications. I have looked everywhere I can think of and come up empty. I know they are accurate but are they dependable in a hunting situation.

Tim

KYS,
Can you point me in the direction of any results with the Berger 140 6.5 Hybrid target bullets for Hunting applications. I have looked everywhere I can think of and come up empty. I know they are accurate but are they dependable in a hunting situation.

Tim

If you want to hunt large game with a "target" bullet it will kill it just the same as a hunting bullet. It is shot placement that is critical. I have taken coyotes out with 140gr Berger and JLK bullets. Killed a dear at 400 yards using a 130gr load as well.

They do just fine!

Getting there

I'm way behind on shooting my X-Hunter as I have had it since Oct. and as of today I have 78 rds down her. Wind has been bad here in southern New Mexico for weeks now. Went on this morning with loads to test and I was very pleased with two groups with 63gr of H-1000 Fed 215m and 130gr Berger pointed VLD at a oal of 2.895. What I was most happy about was using brass that I had prepped as I really didn't know how that was going to go. Thanks Pat for the info on care and feeding it really helped me out.

Attachments

• 5-15-14 6.54s.JPG
    5-15-14 6.54s.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 21
I'm way behind on shooting my X-Hunter as I have had it since Oct. and as of today I have 78 rds down her. Wind has been bad here in southern New Mexico for weeks now. Went on this morning with loads to test and I was very pleased with two groups with 63gr of H-1000 Fed 215m and 130gr Berger pointed VLD at a oal of 2.895. What I was most happy about was using brass that I had prepped as I really didn't know how that was going to go. Thanks Pat for the info on care and feeding it really helped me out.

Nice shooting

Yes sir it does it really came together at 2.895 oal. I even was shooting a rock at 750 yds. Now I need to get reloading some more.

Just got mine back finally.
Trued rem 700
Mcmillan hunters edge
Krieger 1-8.5 twist rem mag contour
.298 reamer
Wyatts extended mag box
Hardy rifle engineering overbarrel suppressor
Matte black gunkote
Leupold vx6 3-18x44 illuminated b&c

patevuse.jpg

4unerete.jpg

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Did break-in my rifle today and got primers that looked like this with 130 vld 62g h1000 nosler brass and fed 215s. Using new reamer at about 7 thou jump. Also had ejector marks and stiff bolt lift on some. Velocities varied between 3100 and 3235 which seems in line with what most are achieving. What could be causing this?
edebenab.jpg

Did break-in my rifle today and got primers that looked like this with 130 vld 62g h1000 nosler brass and fed 215s. Using new reamer at about 7 thou jump. Also had ejector marks and stiff bolt lift on some. Velocities varied between 3100 and 3235 which seems in line with what most are achieving. What could be causing this?
edebenab.jpg

My R 700 does that to everything it shoots. It's fine

Nosler brass has a touch less case capacity than Remington. And, if it isn't fire formed as well, it also may not have expanded to the chamber and allowing all available capacity. Curious to see what second round firing might look like. Also, try seating out a touch longer and adjusting your available burn space volume a little. Looks like it just needs a little fine tuning. How did the loads shoot?

I also have a couple of Remington bolts that do the same thing with loads well below max. Just roomy firing pin holes in the bolt face.

Very Cool, Terminator Products (they use Scott for their gunsmithing) are building me a similar rifle at present and the wait is killing me.
26 in Barrel, Hunters Edge stock. Primary purpose is as a hunting rifle so will not be a heavy weight.

Hope mine is as good as yours.

When you neck turn the brass , how do you know where to stop at the junction?

I cannot find the sweet spot. I am alway turning then to far

KYS,

Tim

You should call the guys at Butch's Reloading. When I asked the same question of them, they told me a horror story of a hunt where the animal had to be shot 6 or 7 times. Reportedly the bullets penciled right through, and IIRC it didn't even move after the first one or two. If I were to hunt with them, I'd shoot for bone ala hunting with solids.

So ya wanna hear what dumb assed thing I did yesterday? Was working up some 300BLK sub-sonic loads and then switched to my 6.5 SAUM rifle/loads. Shot up all my paper targets that I had stapled at the time and needed to shoot a couple of more rounds that I needed to finish my chrono work. So I just shot the steel plate I was using for my 300BLK sub-sonics. I only shot it a few times, but when I went downrange - yep put a freaking hole in my good steel target. If only I could get paid for being dumb. Yes, I know I shouldn't be shooting steel that close, but I did.

Anyway, I think I've settled on a Rem brass load and was trying to duplicate it with Norma brass. 63gr of H1000 in Rem brass seems to be close to 62.5 in Norma. Was a bit surprised and figured it would be closer to 62.0. Need to load a few more to confirm. 137 rounds down the tube and the velocity seems to just now be peaking upwards. Averaging about 3180 at the moment with 130 VLD H. Hoping it picks up another 50 fps. It's already working great at killing steel plates at 100y...

What scope and break are on George's comp rifle on post #28? Also George or anyone else who knows.... What trigger do run on your comp guns? Thanks

I'm building a new switch barrel rig 260/6.5SAUM on a Bighorn TL2 AW cut with Chanlynn 8.5 med palma's. Expecting my T4A any day,everything else is in and waiting.

Stock made it in and both barrels are chambered, waiting on CeraKote and bedding, hopefully will be testing my 6.5 SAUM by the end of the month.