• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Sure seems like pressure issues are popping up for some reason and they all seem to be with the 140's/H1000, Humm maybe Retumbo is the answer or folks are just chasing the velocity statements on posted loads?

That seems way off, man. Most everyone running Remington brass and 130s is easily loading 62grains of H1000.

I agree. I don't know if you read the whole post or not but later in the post I put in there that I got to try some 129 SST's this weekend and started out with 63.0gr H1000 and had absolutely no pressure signs. They shot great and had nice round primer edges. My comments about pressure were related to the 140's. The 140's with the 59.5gr load have a noticeably flatter primer when they come out of the gun. Plus I'm only getting like 4-6 reloads on the 140 load before the pockets loosen up.

I posted in the reloading section too, but yesterday I took it to the range with loads starting at 59 grains. Even those showed some pressure signs when jumped .030", but less pressure when jammed. 60.5 was way hot jumped, but 61 was OK jammed. I have plenty of neck clearance (.0025), headspace is OK, brass is not too long, neck tension is .002. It's a Krieger 1:8.5 twist, wonder if the combination of Norma brass and possibly the barrel is a little tight? The brass is the 7mm SAUM Norma so I'm not sure how it compares to the 300 SAUM that most people have been using. Could it have even less capacity than the 300?

I'm just not getting this with the claims of such low pressure. How I'm getting lots of pressure with loads lower than most are using is baffling.

Sounds like you may have a really tight chamber or something with your twist rate maybe. Im running 61 grains on Hyrbids and JLK bullets.

at 59.5 of H1000 you should not be getting 3110 fps. Unless you have a tighter chamber then normal. I would look into that. Who is the barrel maker?

My only beef with the 130 is they are an entirely different load and take some further tweaking. I have only been able to get them to shoot well in a gain twist Bartlein barrel.

Sounds like you may have a really tight chamber or something with your twist rate maybe. Im running 61 grains on Hyrbids and JLK bullets.

at 59.5 of H1000 you should not be getting 3110 fps. Unless you have a tighter chamber then normal. I would look into that. Who is the barrel maker?

My only beef with the 130 is they are an entirely different load and take some further tweaking. I have only been able to get them to shoot well in a gain twist Bartlein barrel.

I have no way of knowing if the barrel or chamber is tight. I certainly didn't order it that way. It's just a standard 26" Krieger 1-8.5 twist #5 fluted.

Like I said before, the chambering was tight to start with when I had the gun built back in 2008. When I saw the performance reported with GAP's reamer I sent it to them to have it set back and cut with their reamer. It's been that way since December and I've gotten better performance and better brass life, just not as good brass life as some have reported with 130's. After finally playing with the 129 SST this weekend and 63.0gr load I can see where others are getting the brass life. Primers looked much more rounded and not flattened.

As for the 3110 number I don't know what to say, maybe it is a bad number. Maybe my lot of 140's has a higher than advertised BC. I never trust my chronograph to base a drop chart off of. I take a full size pallet, cover it in cardboard, and stick an orange circle in the middle of it, shoot it based of a chart from the chrono average @ 300, 575, & 925 yards. Record the deviations and make an adjusted chart. I never correct the BC, always the MV, and the chart works for me @ 3110 out to 1200 is the furthest I've shot it.

Looks like 59.5 was the ticket. Also had good results at 58.5. Still getting cratered primers but they aren't flattended, even at 58 grains. They flatten at 60 grains.

Four into one and one stupid flyer

Looks like 59.5 was the ticket. Also had good results at 58.5. Still getting cratered primers but they aren't flattended, even at 58 grains. They flatten at 60 grains.

Looks good. My 59.5gr load shot the best with about .010-.015 jump on the 140. Where are you seating yours at?

Looks good. My 59.5gr load shot the best with about .010-.015 jump on the 140. Where are you seating yours at?

.030" jump. What do you make of the cratered primers, even though they aren't flattened? Never encountered this before. I've always had them flatten out before they would start to crater. I'm also running a Krieger 8.5 twist at 26". Guesses on pressure with this load?

I get primers at look like that also with mild loads. My stick is built on a Remington and I was told that a lot of 700s do this. Also using krieger 8.5 @ 24"

.030" jump. What do you make of the cratered primers, even though they aren't flattened? Never encountered this before. I've always had them flatten out before they would start to crater. I'm also running a Krieger 8.5 twist at 26". Guesses on pressure with this load?

not sure. I've never seen that before. I've usually seen them flatten first as well. I have no idea what the pressure would be. I think I read the goal with this cartridge was to keep everything below 55,000 and the recommended 140 load was 61.0gr H1000. 59.5 should be a little less than that I would think, even tho you are running Norma brass and the calculations were probably done with Remington brass. I know there are a lot of other factors that will effect that number but its the only info I can think of.

I have no way of knowing if the barrel or chamber is tight. I certainly didn't order it that way. It's just a standard 26" Krieger 1-8.5 twist #5 fluted.

Like I said before, the chambering was tight to start with when I had the gun built back in 2008. When I saw the performance reported with GAP's reamer I sent it to them to have it set back and cut with their reamer. It's been that way since December and I've gotten better performance and better brass life, just not as good brass life as some have reported with 130's. After finally playing with the 129 SST this weekend and 63.0gr load I can see where others are getting the brass life. Primers looked much more rounded and not flattened.

As for the 3110 number I don't know what to say, maybe it is a bad number. Maybe my lot of 140's has a higher than advertised BC. I never trust my chronograph to base a drop chart off of. I take a full size pallet, cover it in cardboard, and stick an orange circle in the middle of it, shoot it based of a chart from the chrono average @ 300, 575, & 925 yards. Record the deviations and make an adjusted chart. I never correct the BC, always the MV, and the chart works for me @ 3110 out to 1200 is the furthest I've shot it.

If your chambering is tight you will know. The bolt is hard to push down when loading. Do you get resistance? Also a bore scope can help to check the throat.

You can't really base your velocity off the BC. You need to get access to a chronograph like a Magnetto Speed and then populate a drop chart. A great app for iPhone is Ballistic, it is actually quite accurate and you have the option to print the chart.

I have a factory Remmy 700 in 7mm mag that craters the GM215M primers regardless of how mild or hot the load is.

If your chambering is tight you will know. The bolt is hard to push down when loading. Do you get resistance? Also a bore scope can help to check the throat.

You can't really base your velocity off the BC. You need to get access to a chronograph like a Magnetto Speed and then populate a drop chart. A great app for iPhone is Ballistic, it is actually quite accurate and you have the option to print the chart.

The bolt closes with the same amount of resistance whether I have a loaded round or not.

As far as the ballistics stuff, I don't really see any need for a magnetto speed. So far the one I have has been good at telling me good/bad ES and SD and long distance targets back it up. It just hasn't been spot on with a good average that correlates to an accurate drop chart. If I have a high SD load by the chrono, the targets at 600+ will have plenty of vertical stringing and I continue to work on the load.

I've been running Shooter on my droid for a few years now and it also makes charts that export to Excel and I've made my own sheet that prints 2 tables. One fits inside of my ammo box lid and the other gets taped to the gun stock. I make the first chart from what the chrono average tells me for MV, then shoot the 300, 575, & 925 distances. It's never been dead on from the chrono reading. I've always tweaked it slightly to match the real world results I got at distance and correct for MV. Its worked really well so far for me. When you select a bullet from the library on the shooter app for most popular choices it has 2 choices for each bullet; for instance for the 6.5mm 140 Berger VLD it will have "140 gr, Match Grade VLD Hunting" and "140 gr, VLD (Litz)" as options. If its an option for the bullet I'm using I choose the Litz option. Whether the Litz option is right or wrong, who knows. I let the chrono get me close for an initial chart and use what the bullets do on paper to tweak the chart.

hu3e8azy.jpg

This primer was with 61 grains of H1000, 130 VLD, in Rem brass. 62.5 grains of H1000 primers weren't flattened at all... I don't get it???

Well, best place as any,,,,,,,,,anybody have a line on some berger 130's Need some in the hunting line. Getting low and need some for a early august hunt. Don't want to meter this rifle, a couple hundered would get me through, berger says late july, early august for shipping

JUST AN UPDATE, MANAGED TO FIND A BOX OF 500, SHOULD BE GOOD UNTIL BERGER STARTS SHIPPING MORE

Last edited:
has anyone used a larger objective scope Than 42 millimeter on the extreme hunter I plan on running a 52 millimeter what size tally rings will I need.
Thx

To me this is from the primer flowing back into the bolt face that has to large of firing pin hole and not from pressure that coupled with federal primers being soft

Has anybody heard when there might be another run of Remington brass? Or when GAP might have their mentioned run of brass produced?

To me this is from the primer flowing back into the bolt face that has to large of firing pin hole and not from pressure that coupled with federal primers being soft

Stiff bolt lift and chrono shows 3185 avg velocity. Looks like I'm still hot at 59.5 grains H1000 with 140 Hybrids.

Stiff bolt lift and chrono shows 3185 avg velocity. Looks like I'm still hot at 59.5 grains H1000 with 140 Hybrids.

Don't remember how long your barrel is, or what chrono your using - but that is right around my velocity with the 130 HVLDs in a 24" barrel. FYI.

Don't remember how long your barrel is, or what chrono your using - but that is right around my velocity with the 130 HVLDs in a 24" barrel. FYI.

26" Krieger. Prochrono plus. Found some Rem brass so gonna try that. Also gonna try some 130 jlk's.

If you're using Norma, I've found that my load needed to change approx .7 - .8 grain less with Norma vs. Rem brass to achieve the same velocity. I've read others say it's as much as 1 grain less.

My Extreme Hunter has shipped but there isn't an ounce of H1000 to be had anywhere in Alaska! I've looked back page after page but can't find the RETUMBO load. Anyone have it? I have a line on getting RETUMBO! I have Berger 130's and 140's

TIA,
Darkop

63 gr of retumbo with the 140's shoots good in mine, I haven't tried it with the 130's though.

63 gr of retumbo with the 140's shoots good in mine, I haven't tried it with the 130's though.

Excellent! Thats what I was looking for. I have a line on Retumbo but H1000 is unobtainium up here.

Until that day,
Darkop

If you're using Norma, I've found that my load needed to change approx .7 - .8 grain less with Norma vs. Rem brass to achieve the same velocity. I've read others say it's as much as 1 grain less.
My opinion is that folks using Norma brass will find that there loads with the 140's needs to be 1+ gr less (maybe more) than the stated for Remmy brass because it is VERY soft and doesn't show signs of pressure during fire forming, but that's just my observation.

My opinion is that folks using Norma brass will find that there loads with the 140's needs to be 1+ gr less (maybe more) than the stated for Remmy brass because it is VERY soft and doesn't show signs of pressure during fire forming, but that's just my observation.

Ah, that's probably true. My observation was working up loads with the 130 VLDs. I have not shot any of the 140 loads.

Ah, that's probably true. My observation was working up loads with the 130 VLDs. I have not shot any of the 140 loads.
I know I will be retesting my 140 load in Norma brass this week because after my second cycle though very accurate it has proven unreliable in bolt cycle. If I don't like what I see I will try Retumbo or dig out my scarce Remmy brass in last resort

I'm up to 2+ grains less and still showing pressure. Not sure what other factors I have working besides the brass but after I work up a load with Remington brass I'm going to give another go with Norma starting at 57 grains H1000 and the 140 Hybrid. Or I may just relegate the Norma brass to the 130 JLK loads.

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

has anyone used a larger objective scope Than 42 millimeter on the extreme hunter I plan on running a 52 millimeter what size tally rings will I need.
Thx

Low Talley rings worked for me with a 50mm objective. Still has clearance for the bikini covers, so a 52mm should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Low Talley rings worked for me with a 50mm objective. Still has clearance for the bikini covers, so a 52mm should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little off topic, but I've replaced all my Butler Creek scope caps with bikini's. After breaking 3 cap lids by bumping / snagging on stuff when open I gave up.

Love the bikini covers! Take them off and store in stock pack.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

How much room did you have left as I would like to use the flipups that came with my march 52 they are pretty thin.

Extreme Hunter #1755 arrives in Alaska

Received last night. #4 contour for suppressor use (TBA 30BA). March 2.5X24 MML. ATACS FG W/ Mil OD on metal. Loaded up some 140gr Berger's this morning. Now please excuse me while I go send em!

D

Attachments

• 6.5 SAUM.JPG
    6.5 SAUM.JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 30
Received last night. #4 contour for suppressor use (TBA 30BA). March 2.5X24 MML. ATACS FG W/ Mil OD on metal. Loaded up some 140gr Berger's this morning. Now please excuse me while I go send em!

D
Looks beautiful , my wait is killing me but it's nice to see someone's wait is over , how long did it take?

Looks beautiful , my wait is killing me but it's nice to see someone's wait is over , how long did it take?

Ken quoted me 10 months and I had it in THREE!!!

I sent 30 rounds today and am VERY IMPRESSED! very low recoil and the action is smooth as silk. Barrel is broken in and showed no copper after 4 rounds and 8 patches. Just need to play with seating depth and I'll be golden and ready to take it out to distance! It shot about 3/4 MOA today but I'm sure with some bullet depth play and now fire formed brass, groups will tighten up.

I hope your wait is short!

D

wow, three months! i ordered back in January and still haven't gotten mine.

Yes. Ordered 1/15 I did get a different camo on the stock but other than that it's just as they come

This is a very interesting thread. Don't know if I could budget for a GAP, but it does make me think that you could rebarrel a T3 WSM, throw it in the new Manners hunting stock and have a mighty fine rifle.

This is what I am thinking. I haven't made it through this long thread yet but is anyone going this way?

Waiting for this to come back from smith now. Originally a t3 270 wsm. Bartlein no 3 fluted at 24 mcmillan sako hunter stock in edge tech. Being built by forum member tui_man
u2uze9ev.jpg

Does anyone know of availability of 6.5 Saum FL Bushing Die sets? Gap, CC, and Redding have nothing available at the moment- also waiting to hear back from Whidden. I could also use some Berger 130 Hunting VLDS- Thanks in advance for any help!

Greywolf - see my posts. I am building a tikka 6.5 SAUM. Not back yet though, and I used a Mountain Tactical stock made here in MT.

Whidden had 6.5 FL bushing dies, just bought some last week.