• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Garmin Foretrex 701 with Applied Ballistics!

They will be available by all major Garmin carriers is my understanding. I am hoping to get a pre-order date of some kind in the near future, but if anything else they should be on the shelves by August 18th +/-.

Aug 24th........DO WANT!!!!

Couple questions about environment...

1. I know temp must be entered manually (unless coupled w/ a garmin tempe sensor), what about humidity?

2. Can density altitude be entered instead?

3. Are changes to wind values applied to all targets on the databoard?

1. I know temp must be entered manually (unless coupled w/ a garmin tempe sensor), what about humidity?

1) Humidity is Manual. It makes very little difference inside of 1500 yards.

2) No.

3) Yes, in the current version.

I'm also curious about this.

Thanks Doc, #3 was the most important item - ordered.

Got mine a few days ago - here are some first impressions / feedback / wish list

Typical Garmin - well built, battery life seems ok so far, still shows full after messing around with it quite bit with the backlight on - using alkaline AAA's, will go lithium when these are done.
Tilt compass is pretty good (expected), works as well as other Garmin stuff w/ the Tempe ANT+ sensor.

Intended application is rifle or wrist mounted databoard for PRS or PR matches.
Currently using Kestrel 5700AB.

Small enhancements

AB Main Screen
(quick edit is well done, esp option to use the compass to set DOF by pressing [down] on entry to the field)
#1] Display current target name on main screen w/o having to scroll to the 2nd or 3rd page
- faster way to switch targets w/o using the menu, maybe if the target name is added as a field on the main screen this could be done w/ quick edit

AB Environment
#2] Add an [Update All] to refresh all sensor provided values (temp and station pressure) at once
#3] Add an [Input Units] option for metric for environment values (celsius, hPa) and imperial (statute) for ballistic values (yards, mph, fps) etc. for us Canadians please.

Target Card (good target management, quick edit well done here too)
#4] Add a [Change Target] option to the option menu (2nd option) to select a target from the target card and drop back to the main screen

The big suggested enhancement

Target Card
#5]
Add an option similar to the Kestrel's [Environment] -> [Wcap All Tgts] option to accept absolute wind values and direction (w/ compass capture option) and apply to all targets relative to each target's DOF.

e.g.
Define the following 3 target COF...
T1: range: 300, DOF: 270
T2: range: 300, DOF: 0
T3: range: 300, DOF: 90

...then set wind1: 5mph, wind2: 10 mph, dir: 3:00 o'clock

IMG_20170916_104333.jpg

The GF701 copies the wind direction value of 3:00oc for all 3 targets (ignoring each target's DOF), producing the same windage values for all 3 targets.
Not good for stages with a wide ARC of fire.

IMG_20170916_103844.jpg

The Kestrel computes relative wind direction for each target using its DOF, producing the expected windage values.

IMG_20170916_110841.jpgIMG_20170916_110853.jpgIMG_20170916_110902.jpg

Kestrel is more useful here but there's no data board view, currently write these results to dope cards - gets tricky in dynamic wind environments.
The GF701 data board feature would be great if this were addressed.

Overall liking the GF701 so far - it would be great if enhancement #5 could make it into a not so distant future release.
- Rob

In Hand.

Any "tips" for the software? My GF701 AB will not line up with my kestrel (which is proven data) which lines up with my 2400. After doing a ballistic calculation based on kestrel supplied and proven data, was getting impacts at 1000yds. Ran it out to 1300 and the 701 was off again. Hard for me to understand how there is so much variation (.4mils) at a 1000yds using mirror image profiles from one AB platform to the next.

In Hand.

Any "tips" for the software? My GF701 AB will not line up with my kestrel (which is proven data) which lines up with my 2400. After doing a ballistic calculation based on kestrel supplied and proven data, was getting impacts at 1000yds. Ran it out to 1300 and the 701 was off again. Hard for me to understand how there is so much variation (.4mils) at a 1000yds using mirror image profiles from one AB platform to the next.

Well that's disconcerting.

In Hand.

Freeze the atmospherics on both devices. That way you have constantly changing pressure as you move the Kestrel Around.

1) Did you input the latitude in to the Kestrel? The Garmin has this built in, but it must be done by hand on the Kestrel.

2) Did you input target direction on both devices?

3) Was a ballistic calibration performed on the Kestrel?

They are the same engines, and with the latest firmware 1.14 on the Kestrel they should line up very close at 1000 yards.

Edited: OK, looks like I got the inconsistencies worked out for the most part. So I'll take it out to the range tomorrow to verify my drop data.

I am curious as to why they elected to remove DA input since 99% of the people using the device use DA to input atmospherics. I get a noticeable difference between entering DA as opposed to using temp, alt, pressure and humidity separately.

Last edited:
So it can store 10 targets? How long does it take to load a set of targets without a keyboard?

It would be awesome to be able to load and name stages, with however many targets there are for each stage.

At big matches you usually get a match book the night before with all target distances listed with the stage description. It would be awesome if the night before you could load all the stages in the unit with the individual ranges for each target within the stage.

That way next morning, you get assigned your starting stage, you pull it up in the unit, update your weather data and bingo, there's every target for that stage and their firing solutions.

It would be really cool if after the stage you could plug in your score for review later.

Just thinking out loud.

This

Garmin® Foretrex® 701 Update:
We have made some changes to the website, and have added some new downloads for Garmin Foretrex 701 users.
We have added Garmin Express Software to the Downloads section of the website. Garmin Express allows you to manage your device, and update your firmware natively. (A video is provided on how to do this on our YouTube Channel). This software is available for both PC & Mac.
We have updated the FW hosted on the website to version 2.20 (Oct 2017). Note: You can update the FW using the manual method (video provided on our YouTube Channel) or the Gamin Express Software.
Here are the Changes:
1) Fixed issue with creating new AB Profiles.
2) Fixed issues with saving tracks.
3) Improved import of tracks.
4) Fixed issue with waypoint names as they appear on the device.
5) Fixed issue with "Final Dest' data field on compass page.
6) Fixed issue that could occur when changing waypoints in the measure distance feature.
We have added the current OEM User Manual to the main Garmin Device Page on our website.
Make sure after you perform the update, you double check all your settings. You will also need to reconnect your Tempe sensor to the device.
You can find all these resources on our website at www.appliedballisticsllc.com

Is the limit of 10 targets on Garmins end or AB, more would be useful. For others looking the Tempe sensor is about $30, works great, supposed to read 10M from unit and I keep it with my ammo in pouch or box that usually keeps it out of sunlight.

Is the limit of 10 targets on Garmins end or AB, more would be useful. For others looking the Tempe sensor is about $30, works great, supposed to read 10M from unit and I keep it with my ammo in pouch or box that usually keeps it out of sunlight.

The limitation is on the device itself, but is changeable. Its software, and not a limitation of the actual device. Just what was chosen at the time.

Great news that it is something that can be changed on this unit. I will contact Garmin with a request.

What’s the impact on the Garmin battery life while connected to the Temp sensor? I know the sensor lasts a year but what’s the hit on the main unit?

Edited: OK, looks like I got the inconsistencies worked out for the most part. So I'll take it out to the range tomorrow to verify my drop data.

I am curious as to why they elected to remove DA input since 99% of the people using the device use DA to input atmospherics. I get a noticeable difference between entering DA as opposed to using temp, alt, pressure and humidity separately.

I’m also interested in this.

Also like to know if there’s any benefit to not offering the user the option to use the current Tempe input and pressure automatically each time a firing solution is provided.

I’d be fine with a device that connects with ant+ and populates all of the environmental inputs that has a fraction of the year long battery life.

Thats because temp, alt and RH affect trajectory differntly in their own unique ways. a DA can be made up of those variables in multiple different combinations.

examples (not real numbers): 3000 DA at 26.92, 53 degrees and RH of 0% can be very different than DA at 29.92, 110 degrees and 50% RH Even though they both might be 3000 DA. thats why they chose not to use DA as the input.

No, however you can put it into UltraTrac mode. Which nearly doubles battery life.

I like the set up but would like it simplified, I would just want the AB set up on it without GPS. It would be a great unit just for that.
I would believe people would buy that with no problem at a lower price point like $350 or lower. It would get rid of people using thier phone as their ballistic app which can break just by dropping it.

I’ve noticed multiple websites claim extended battery life above and beyond UltraTrac mode when in “Watch Mode”. Is this not an option?

Also the manual states that in Demo Mode the GPS is off. Does Demo Mode affect device functionality in any way other than what is to be expected when no GPS input is present? I’m hoping the Demo Mode doesn’t just flash a bunch of screens to show what it can do and make the unit useless.

Just sold my 5700 to pick one of these up. I hope this thing produces accurate data with minimal inputs from outside resources (Kestrel for wind values, etc).

Just to fully understand, a guy should be operatable with the Foretrex 701 and Tempe sensor correct? Only other variable is wind speed and direction that have to be manually put in as far as environmentals?

Last edited:
Just sold my 5700 to pick one of these up. I hope this thing produces accurate data with minimal inputs from outside resources (Kestrel for wind values, etc).

Just to fully understand, a guy should be operatable with the Foretrex 701 and Tempe sensor correct? Only other variable is wind speed and direction that have to be manually put in as far as environmentals?

Humidity as well from what I’ve gathered. If you feel you need it.

Leave that at 50% and forget about it.

Exactly. Did that and couldn't get a solution off by more .1-.2 mil until I reached the extreme limits of each round I shoot. At that point I should be using a different round anyway (or take the time to enter it manually). I think this will be the best AB for me once I have the money. I hope someone buys one, hates it and throws it up on the exchange for cheap!

So it can store 10 targets? How long does it take to load a set of targets without a keyboard?

It would be awesome to be able to load and name stages, with however many targets there are for each stage.

At big matches you usually get a match book the night before with all target distances listed with the stage description. It would be awesome if the night before you could load all the stages in the unit with the individual ranges for each target within the stage.

That way next morning, you get assigned your starting stage, you pull it up in the unit, update your weather data and bingo, there's every target for that stage and their firing solutions.

It would be really cool if after the stage you could plug in your score for review later.

Just thinking out loud.

Docbeech,

This is exactly what we need. The ability to plug in 50+ targets would be awesome.

I’ve noticed multiple websites claim extended battery life above and beyond UltraTrac mode when in “Watch Mode”. Is this not an option?

Also the manual states that in Demo Mode the GPS is off. Does Demo Mode affect device functionality in any way other than what is to be expected when no GPS input is present? I’m hoping the Demo Mode doesn’t just flash a bunch of screens to show what it can do and make the unit useless.

Watch mode is exactly what it sounds like. It displays time, and nothing else. No GPS Tracking, No Firing Solution, No Environmental Readings. Simply displays time.

Correct, however it is important to update the direction of fire, range to the target, and the latitude of the shooter. But you can turn off Coriolis, aerodynamic jump, and spin drift individually if you wish.

Correct, however it is important to update the direction of fire, range to the target, and the latitude of the shooter. But you can turn off Coriolis, aerodynamic jump, and spin drift individually if you wish.

I'm sure it'll all make sense once I have the unit in hand, but what's the difference between direction of fire and latitude of shooter?

I'm sure it'll all make sense once I have the unit in hand, but what's the difference between direction of fire and latitude of shooter?

Latitude is where you are on earth. DOF is the direction you are facing (N E S W). They play into Coriolis and other factors.

I guess I'm a little confused as to why I have to input my latitude and longitude into a gps device?

Direction of fire/shooting an azimuth makes sense for manual input... several targets down range= several different azimuths...

Last edited:
I guess I'm a little confused as to why I have to input my latitude and longitude into a gps device?

Direction of fire or shooting an azimuth makes sense for manual input...

Well if you have the gps turned on you probably won’t have to worry about your latitude. But if you follow the thread I think Doc was following along the lines of how to save battery and he had suggested turning GPS off. I think he was adding to that.

Well if you have the gps turned on you probably won’t have to worry about your latitude. But if you follow the thread I think Doc was following along the lines of how to save battery and he had suggested turning GPS off. I think he was adding to that.

Now I'm tracking. Thanks brother.

I think although the GPS can provide it, it needs to be manually updated like the Tempe sensor input. Don't have to type it in but you have to hit the button to update it in the AB side every so often.