• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy from Texas!

[New Guy]

Ford Raptor *****-er
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2013
[Wherever GOV Wants Me]
Hey All,

Just wanted to do a short introduction. I'm from South East Texas and I'm a born and raised Texan through and through. I am currently in the US Navy based up North but I hope to commission into the Marine Corps at a later point in time. On my free-time and Leave I enjoy: mudding, shooting, noodling, and whatever other Redneck activity I can participate in.

Truthfully this is my first real attempt at long range shooting, my prior experiences have been limited to <300 yards using only iron-sights.

Without further adieu, here is my set-up:

My Truck:

Also, one last thing, currently I'm on Leave and only have 1-week of Leave left. I will try and read as much as I can but truthfully my knowledge of long range shooting is non-existent and I'm pressed for time. If you can recommend me one or two good books that I may purchase to supplement my knowledge I would really appreciate it. As far as the Search button is concerned I'm not sure where to start: How to Use Mil-Dot, How to Use MOA, and what the basics are...

I know I'm woefully under-skilled for these two amazing rifles I own but I thought I'd try and get it right the first time rather than buy up as time goes. So please bear with me.

Anyways thanks for reading Everyone, hope you've all had a Merry Christmas!

I know coming from Texas everything has to be Big or Go home but brother you should have started with a smaller rifle and learned the basics of the Art of LR shooting . that is an Amazing set up for ya a year or so down the road but get ya a nice bolt rifle and something that isn't going to cost ya 3 to 4 bucks a round to shoot and shoot the piss out of it . look into a rem SPS or a savage bolt rifle even the Rem R5 stick your optic on it and have some fun. there are a ton of training video's and books out there just google . I find the magpul training videos to be pretty easy to follow take notes and learn from. hell i kinda did what you did and thought i needed top shelf out the gate i ended up with over 4200 dollars in a rifle and scope and i didn't even know how to shot the dame thing. Once i started shooting i realized i ended up liking AR rifles better. now i got a 4200 dollar plus bolt set up collecting dust.

Let me get this straight, you wanna LEARN long range precision shooting on a 50 cal and a 338? As an enlisted man can you afford to attempt this? I'm guessing no, so when you realize a training regime will cost thousands upon thousands of dollars in ammo with either one of those and decide to dump them I will trade ya a custom built 308 for either one of em.

Also, what's in the 1600 dollars worth of pelican cases? Shit sell the cases and buy a good starter rifle, jus sayin

No kidding! Do you have a rifle in each case or are you like some pelican case dealer or something?

Get a nice 260 if you reload.... And a 308 for starters

Also, what's in the 1600 dollars worth of pelican cases? Shit sell the cases and buy a good starter rifle, jus sayin

welcome aboard man im from texas also.... there is a lot of info here and youll learn a lot ...

Do yourself a favor and get the MRAD .308 conversion, kepping the platform the same will help when transition back to .338LM after much .308 practice. ........and really are u a pelican dealer?

Welcome to the Hide. I don't know if you're kidding or not about being new to all this, but nice gear either way.

For everyone salivating over the Pelicans, they're free overseas. If you can believe it, the military uses 1750s to package FLOURESCENT LIGHTS!!!! Once the lights are removed the Pelicans get tossed or forgotten. It costs about $25-30 to ship them home. Those appear to be in much nicer condition than most of the "discards" but I suppose if you're farther up the food chain it's possible. Just one explanation for the stash. Hell, he may have bought them in preparation for the upcoming toys.

Better than any book Suggestion join on line training watch videos read threads and or purchase SH training DVD or Rifles only DVD
Then execute what they tell you