• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy with new build checking in.

dugedug

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
NV
Been lurking here a few years doing alot of reading. I've been wanting a nice precision rifle in my collection so I had a local smith in Vegas build this up for me. Thought I'd post some specs and pics.

Rem 700 SA blueprinted (new receiver from Brownells)
Mike Rock 5R M24 contour .308 (24" cut, threaded, 11* recessed target crown)
Holland Competition 1.065 lug
RD Precision RD-BMT
AI 10-rnd mag
HS-Precision PST007 3-color desert
Badger Ord. 20 MOA
Harris S-BRM
U.S. Optics SN-3 MIL GAP Mil/Mil
U.S. Optics P6M-3000L rings
FDE Cerekote paint

Broke the barrel in per Mike Rocks recommendation. Got an Alpha Industries Type 1 mag on order to try out. I still have alot more gear to pick up; lense caps, sling, bag/case, data book... I have alot more work to do on the fundamentals to even consider myself proficient.

DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1269.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1210.jpg

Re: New guy with new build checking in.

I enjoyed the hell out of that picture. Only thing I would add is a bolt knob conversion and that's it.

Looks damn good, nice job
smile.gif

well if you miss you sure can blame your equipment lol

Very nice!

That's great! Ya did your research and put together a Top-notch rifle there! But now's the part where the separation of "Shooter" or "Poser" comes into play. Will you abuse the shit outa that Smoke-pole, like it was built for? Or treat it like "fine China", run a few hundred rounds thru it each year, keep it locked up most of the time, and call it "My Sniper rifle" to your friends who don't know the difference. No offense meant... I'm really just curious how many of us really push a rifle like that to it's limits. Or do we have it built, take it to the range a few times and Thump our Chests about our Tac-drivin' Tactical Long-range Sniper Rifle.
I gotta tell ya... I've turned into one of those! I'm not employing my rifles in any kind of defensive role. I have a couple of pretty nice bolt guns that look the part and shoot great but I do find myself treating them with kit-gloves. I think it's because they were Expensive!... And I had to pay for them!... And if something goes wrong with one I can't just drop it off at the Armory and have them fix it for free like the "old days" back in the Corps.

Anyway, OP... I'm sorry I hijacked your thread. You really do have an Outstanding looking rifle there. That WILL perform to your expectations! Enjoy it any way you see fit!

John

<span style="font-weight: bold">Great looking build!</span>

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Took it to the range this morning. Sent 60 rounds down range. 1st shot on paper, 2 more shots to walk it in(final adjustment: 0.8 mil Up, 1.3 mil Left). A rear bag (Red Tac Gear) moved to the top of the list for next purchases. Using my fist to prop up the rear seemed to introduce alot of heartbeat...

DSCN1275.jpg

Someone didn't mess around with their first build. Congrats.