• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New high power Nightforce NX8?

I concur with Iowashooter. I have had the scope long enough to have played with it quite a bit. The one thing I have noticed is that the depth perception on the scope isn’t as strong as the ATACR’s.
I THINK this is due to how short the scope is. It’s not horrible, not by a long shot, just noticeable when I compare the 2.5-20 next to my 5-25 ATACR, both set at 20X.
Glass is solid, turrets are great, all in all, a fantastic scope for the $$. I don’t really NEED the 4-32, but at the price these are going for, I’m tempted.
I think NF has a big winner here.
Thank you Vegas, I had a feeling this would be an issue with the NX8 - DOF as well as a bit more finicky eyebox, this is what I encountered with a similar design in the March 3-24, but the major annoyances of the March was the parallax and the reticle, I actually prefer the mag range of the NF at 2.5-20x50 (have no desire for the 4-32x50 and wish it would have been a 4-32x56) over the 3-24 of the March, but that's more personal preference. I think I can live with the lower DOF and eyebox with all the other benefits the scope provides, and I like the Mil-C/XT reticles (what I had hoped March would put out). Since you've had quite a bit of time with the scope, how finicky have you found the parallax - do you constantly have to adjust it when shooting slightly different distances or has that not been much of an issue?

Reactions: UNRL Ghandi
Since you've had quite a bit of time with the scope, how finicky have you found the parallax - do you constantly have to adjust it when shooting slightly different distances or has that not been much of an issue?

Tag for the response to this question. Loved everything about my March 3-24x except the parallax was super annoying. Couldn't use the scope because it was difficult to transition between distances and keep a clear image even on the infinite parallax setting.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Now that you mention it, I do seem like I’m adjusting the parallax more....hmmmm. I didn’t pay a ton of attention to it, because I have like 5 different NF scopes. From the 1-8 ATACR to the 7-35, and many in between.
My point being, I’m always changing which gun/scope I shoot.
I will pay more attention when I shoot it and get back with a more definite answer.
I’m teaching this week, but this weekend I will get some trigger time.

Tag for the response to this question. Loved everything about my March 3-24x except the parallax was super annoying. Couldn't use the scope because it was difficult to transition between distances and keep a clear image even on the infinite parallax setting.
I'm right there with you ghandi, loved the March for everything else practically but parallax and reticle made me ultimately look elsewhere. The NF 2.5-20 with Mil-C and ultimately Mil-XT may be the March killer for me, but I'm really hoping their optical formula improved upon the constant adjustments to parallax.

Interested in continuing information and experience

Okay, I had to go through the thread again because Mil-XT was certainly not part of the original announcement, it finally shows up on page 6 post #270 by phlegm where he says

But that seems to be the only information we've had so far, sure would be nice if NF would get the scopes on their website and put up some more specs on them.
I have the 2019 Nightforce catalog in hand and it lists Mil-XT for the NX8s.

I have the 2019 Nightforce catalog in hand and it lists Mil-XT for the NX8s.
I don't doubt they are offering the Mil-XT in the NX8 as there seems to be plenty of evidence that has come forward, and the fact you see it in their catalog is great news, I am curious as to why their website says nothing at all about this scope, not just the reticle but nothing about the scopes period, they obviously need to get a better web admin.

I don't doubt they are offering the Mil-XT in the NX8 as there seems to be plenty of evidence that has come forward, and the fact you see it in their catalog is great news, I am curious as to why their website says nothing at all about this scope, not just the reticle but nothing about the scopes period, they obviously need to get a better web admin.
Proof had the same issues with their tl3/origin/other prefits. we knew a while before website updated

Has anybody had an opportunity to compare the 2.5-20 side by side to a Leupold MK5HD 3-18? Really considering the 2.5-20 for a crossover optic.

Reactions: USMC_JA
Has anybody had an opportunity to compare the 2.5-20 side by side to a Leupold MK5HD 3-18? Really considering the 2.5-20 for a crossover optic.
Currently have both sitting in front of me, what would you like to know?

@IOWASHOOTER thank you! I would like to know which one has more eyebox and parallax forgiveness, differences in clarity, brightness and depth of field and usefullness of reticle on low power. This will be used on a shorty 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting and some local matches so any input on the comparison of these two optics that are in the same price range with regard to those applications would be helpful. Thanks !

Alright so I'll kind of go down your list. The NX8 is still mounted on the AI and the MK5 is mounted on my 16" recce/SPR whatever you want to call it. It has the TMR and is non illuminated.

The eye box between the two I find that the NX8 is generally more forgiving until you get to the top end, The MK5 on 18x is more forgiving than the NX8 at 18-20x. On 16x and down, I still feel the NX8 gets the nod here but not by much at all, they are similar.

On parallax, I find neither being something I even think about, easy to set and not sensitive. The NX8 has only the dashes while the MK5 has the number markings. The MK5's parallax adjustment is resettable just like the turrets. I set mine so the 100yds lines up for me, for shooting groups, I've been able to just set it back there each time and its been right on. The NX8 I have to set each time I shoot since I can't remember which little dash is which for me. Performance wise they are the same, it comes down to user preference on this one.

Glass. Please keep in mind that I am by no means a professional. I'm just telling you what I see with my eyes in the best way I can. I believe brightness is the only part where the MK5 gets the nod here. The NX8 has better clarity and depth. If you don't have them side by side I don't believe you would notice a difference but when I look through each, the NX8 has the edge. I am able to pick up more definition when looking through it. This does not mean the MK5 is a slouch by any means, it isn't. The MK5 is what I took through our state sniper school and had zero issues and walked away with Top Shooter.

On to the reticle on low power. This is where I think illumination on the MK5 might make a difference but as it sits I think the NX8 might get the win here. Below are pictures of first the NX8 on 2.5x and then the MK5 on 3.6 both looking at the same shed about 80yds away. The field of view difference between the two is quite noticeable. Both pictures were just taken with my phone with the phone on 3x zoom on the camera as I think that best matches what I see in person.

NX8 on 2.5

MK5 on 3.6x

Random spec differences between the two, the MK5 weighs something like 2oz less on my scale. The picture below is a top view showing size difference. The NX8 having the 30mm tube makes mounting options more plentiful. Both have capped windage turrets and the MK5 has a locking elevation turret that I really like. Hopefully this is enough info for you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can compare on them.

I spent quite a bit of time with mine yesterday. I had it mounted on my KAC LPR. I did a 5X5 with it using Speer 75gr Gold Dots. That’s our duty ammo.
I have spent a couple hundred rounds of time with the scope, and I really like it.
I’ll say the parallax is a bit picky. I just think that’s a by product of an 8X erector in such a short bodied scope. It’s easy to adjust, and brings things in razor sharp, but know it is touchy with parallax.

The scope is so nice, I really struggled with what gun to permanently house it on. I settled on a Aero 6.5CM, as all my KAC’s, and my match rifle (AI) wear ATACR ‘s.

Besides the picky parallax, and as has been mentioned, the somewhat shallow DOF, I find this scope amazing. It’s a FFP US NF. The color, contrast is great. I don’t see any CA. The worst scope I’ve ever seen with CA has been the EoTech Vudu 5-35 US design. It exhibits it badly.
So much that my buddy (a dealer) sent his back to EoTech.

I think this scope shines as a medium to long range semi auto scope. Sure, you could put it on a bolt gun, but I love the short length on a gasser.

That’s where mine is..... for now.

Thank you Vegas, that makes complete sense with the parallax and DOF in lieu of the 8x erector and short body, but sounds like they may have nailed the glass making this a very interesting option and possibly a better option than the March 3-24x52 which costs a bit more.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
I spent quite a bit of time with mine yesterday. I had it mounted on my KAC LPR. I did a 5X5 with it using Speer 75gr Gold Dots. That’s our duty ammo.
I have spent a couple hundred rounds of time with the scope, and I really like it.
I’ll say the parallax is a bit picky. I just think that’s a by product of an 8X erector in such a short bodied scope. It’s easy to adjust, and brings things in razor sharp, but know it is touchy with parallax.

The scope is so nice, I really struggled with what gun to permanently house it on. I settled on a Aero 6.5CM, as all my KAC’s, and my match rifle (AI) wear ATACR ‘s.

Besides the picky parallax, and as has been mentioned, the somewhat shallow DOF, I find this scope amazing. It’s a FFP US NF. The color, contrast is great. I don’t see any CA. The worst scope I’ve ever seen with CA has been the EoTech Vudu 5-35 US design. It exhibits it badly.
So much that my buddy (a dealer) sent his back to EoTech.

I think this scope shines as a medium to long range semi auto scope. Sure, you could put it on a bolt gun, but I love the short length on a gasser.

That’s where mine is..... for now.
Thank you Vegas. I'm looking hard at this NF for a recently acquired Colt CLT CM6518S.

-Rainman

Just received mine yesterday. 4-32. Once I find time will compare against my ATACR 5-25
Really looking forward to this compariso. Wanting to upgrade from my t5xi and I was debating the same thing. Used atacr or new nx8. I am leaning atacr,, as I have 34mm rings

Has anybody used the mil-c one?
I would love to know all about that one.

My 4-32 is Mil-C and the lines are noticeably thick compared to other high end scopes I own. I think you will be happy, I certainly am.

I got my new 4-32 (MIL-C), for anyone else that has this one or the 2.5-20 - do you find the illumination button difficult to work? Mine is pretty bad! I have to press hard several times to get it to come in and it's a PITA to manipulate compared to my 7-35 ATACR.

The button seems fine with the battery cover off, so I need to spend some time with it to figure it out. Hoping I don't have to send it back!

I also run a 3-24 March, I got this to see if it would be a good in between the two aforementioned scopes.

I got my new 4-32 (MIL-C), for anyone else that has this one or the 2.5-20 - do you find the illumination button difficult to work? Mine is pretty bad! I have to press hard several times to get it to come in and it's a PITA to manipulate compared to my 7-35 ATACR.

I was having trouble at first too, but the trick for me was to make sure to push it dead center. If you don't push it in the center, then I'm pretty sure it won't go deep enough.

Hope that helps

Reactions: MtnGhost
Nightforce Nx8 2.5-20x50 at the range. Rams at 550 yards on 20x, 10x and 2.5x through cellphone. Going to hookup the phoneskope this weekend.

No photo description available.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Have you played with it any in low light say dusk and dawn. My buddy has the NX8 4-32 and we got his side by side with my S&B 5-20 Ultra Short to compare. With both set on 20x I felt like there wasn’t much difference in clarity and color maybe just a slight edge to my Ultra Short. But then we took them out again in the evening and waited for what would be well past legal shooting hours and put both scopes on 10x and was looking them at various objects to see how they the compare. To me and my eyes the NX8 Definitely had the upper hand over low light situations compared to my S&B ultra short and at lest the ones I’ve owned have always excelled in this category. I think Nightforce has a sure winner in both these scope. So much so I’m now contemplating selling my Ultra Short and buying 2 of the NX8’s.

Last edited:
^^^ Awwww, baby NF doesn't even have her rings yet ;) Hey, those family photos will be cherished for a lifetime. I'm afraid if I did some family photos I'd end up with Frankenstein's monster - right now I have a different scope on each rifle :D

Thats awesome and quite the family you have going there. What are your initial impressions of the NX8 and the ATACR now that you have both?
i was not expecting the size difference between the two

very curious to hear the difference between 7-35 and 4-32 as far as glass and turrets

I've only had a limited amount to time to play around with it, so what I'm about to say is just from my short time handling it "free hand" / unmounted.

First, in daylight conditions - the glass is like a mini version of my ATACR. The color tones and vibrancy look VERY similar, with rich detail throughout the the magnification range - just with a smaller sight picture. Think of putting a new iPhone XS next to an XS Max with the same color photo at full screen, and there you go lol.

I still need to get my diopter setup just right, I can tell that it's off a tad and I'm planning to square that away first thing this weekend. OH, and I think this was mentioned - the lens cap doesn't rotate when you adjust the mag like the ATACR . This will definitely help with the distractions and anyone who is OCD about it (like myself hehe).

At twilight, the clarity is still there, but I'm not at all used to the parallax dial. I've been running the March exclusively this last couple of months, and i developed some serious muscle memory with the tiny little adjustment ranges that they're notorious for! This parallax adjustment has the travel closer to the ATACR, but this NX8 has a little of the March-like adjustment sensitivity where you can creep along and over adjust before you know it! I just need to be more aggressive with it going from 11m <> infinity is all, but I can tell that I'm going to LOVE IT - once I get used to it!!! (Despite not having the distances printed in the knob, which forced me into not being lazy on my NXS).

The bottom line at night - from what I see thus far - the ATACR is superior at night, period. The ATACR, hands down - is far more forgiving at higher magnification. I think most would expect this with the 50mm bell vs. 56mm and larger tube.

Target acquisition at lower magnification appears to be great in both light and darkness, where the NX8 really feels a lot like the ATACR (up to at least 8, maybe even 12x). I'd need to spend some time with it before I could praise or gripe, but my expectations were conservative for low light performance and had just hope that is was at least on par with my March! (I suspect that it will be very close from what I've seen already).

Uh, what else? Oh yes - that damned illumination button! It seems seems to work better now lol. I don't know whether or not it had a break in period or what. It REALLY had me worried when I first tested it out! I did a test mount with some of my rings and found that it works much better when it is mounted. Like SD Carpenter said, get used to pressing it dead center and it'll make good solid contact. The ATACR button it 100% better though.

The weight on my scale was 28.56oz. It feels close to my March, but has that feeling of "substance" like the ATACR.

That's about all I got right now. I'm probably going to make a video with my Side Shot comparing the two at my shooting range in the mountains this weekend. I'll drop a link to it once I get that put together and you can get a better visual reference comparing the two ?

Last edited:
Honest question here.
How does the glass compare to an ATACR F1 5-25?
I was wanting an NX8 in 4-32, but then did the $ math and can get a 5-25 ATACR for similar cost.

Any idea what length Geissele super precision mount I'd need for either on an AR? There are so few out there...or if someone could give me the measurement from the BACK of the erector housing to the edge of the eyepiece lens, and then the distance between the erector housing and the magnification ring (mounting surface) I can figure the rest out I think.

The more I read this thread the more sure I am that this will be my next scope (2.5-20 version), only other thought is an AMG.