• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New IR Laser Illuminator

Just got the Digital Extra today. Here are a few pictures.

It's smaller than I expected, 3/4" shorter than the single tube units.

Digital - Dimmer - Digital Extra.jpg

Digital - Dimmer - Digital Extra - Top.jpg

Digital - Dimmer - Digital Extra - Mount View.jpg

How is the tape switch on this one? I can't imagine it follows any typical standard we would be familiar with?
The tape switch works fine but, like you say, it isn't a typical standard connector for this application. It is, however, a very common connector for other purposes and a ton of options exist for modification.

orico-35mm-right-angle-audio-jack-cable-1-meter.jpg

Orico gold-plated 3.5 mm right-angle connector

The male 3.5mm tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) plug is mated with a threaded female 3.5mm jack, protected by a threaded cap with rubber gasket. The plug fits firmly when inserted and doesn't pull out easily. The threaded cap works well and is easy to use...I wish the male connector also had a threaded collar making it impossible for the plug to be pulled out or exposed to weather, but I imagine in most conditions this wouldn't be an issue.

Digital Extra - Connector and Rear Activation Switch.jpg

I plan to use this with a modbutton or TAPS switch, so once I find a threaded male connector it should be simple to make my own cable.

Just an update...I had a chance to do a limited test of the illuminators with my Gen 3 NODS.

I illuminated a steep forested cliff that begins at 600 meters and extends to 1300 meters (as measured by laser rangefinder). The Digital Extra , especially in turbo mode, was impressive and put a strong white circle of light on the trees at 1300 meters. The Digital standard unit was also very powerful in turbo mode and lit up trees on the same ridge. The Dimmer version (with power wheel) didn't seem to reach out quite as far but you get full power control (instead of low-med-high), which makes it great for use at lower power levels.

While I could light up the top of the cliff, in front of it were several rows of homes, businesses, and streetlights, so I couldn't do any useful short-midrange testing. The illuminators could punch through the light (a good reason to have a full power unit) but there was so much light it was meaningless as a test.

I'm going to the mountains on vacation and will be taking the illuminators and my NODS with me. I've ordered a camera mount so hope to get some footage.

I ordered the dimmer variant a little while ago. Have been playing with it for a couple nights now. Seems like a solid unit EXCEPT for one major (to me) drawback: the illumination area is a oval, not a circle. Apparently this is a "feature" marketed towards hunters, to reduce light reflection off of ground and upper foliage. Not sure if this is limited to the dimmer model only or if all 3 are configured this way.

Bit tricky to get a good photo, but this should give you an idea if what it looks like (this is on the lower power/highest beam divergence). Excellent power and range, would be perfect if not for this weird design choice.

PXL_20210528_023756985.jpg

I ordered the dimmer variant a little while ago. Have been playing with it for a couple nights now. Seems like a solid unit EXCEPT for one major (to me) drawback: the illumination area is a oval, not a circle. Apparently this is a "feature" marketed towards hunters, to reduce light reflection off of ground and upper foliage. Not sure if this is limited to the dimmer model only or if all 3 are configured this way.

Bit tricky to get a good photo, but this should give you an idea if what it looks like (this is on the lower power/highest beam divergence). Excellent power and range, would be perfect if not for this weird design choice.

View attachment 7635015
The Dimmer model and the Digital unit both have the oval beam shape...one thing I like about the Digital Extra is its nice circular beam. The Digital unit seems a bit more powerful than the Dimmer model...it also has turbo mode which is super bright. The Dimmer unit gives full power control, however, while the Digital has fixed power levels. The Extra doesn't focus quite as tightly as the other units but it has the power to reach way out there, and allows for a very wide beam pattern (20 degrees) if desired. It's a beast in turbo mode, but it also works well up close on the low power setting. Bad weather here in the mountains has made it hard to get photos but I should have something soon. I tried using my laser power meter but it's designed for designators, only having a 6mm x 6mm sensor, too small for the illuminators.

Reactions: broskibrobro
I was surprised how light the Digital Extra is...feels about the same as the single-tube units. It does have a bigger battery though so loaded up it's a bit heavier.

So its just the two smaller units that have this oval beam shape? In that case, I might try exchanging for the larger digital extra unit.

The problem with this oval beam is that it limits the positions you can mount the illuminator in. If you're like me, you might want to stick this thing on the side of a rail, but then the light oval will be vertical, like a cat's eye. As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust the beam orientation which defeats the purpose of the feature in the first place.

Idk, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

Yes, the smaller units have the oval shape but not the Extra. I was initially skeptical about the larger unit, getting it last, but now it's my favorite of the three all things considered.

Here are some more pictures:

This is on the lowest power/highest divergence at a distance of ~50 yards. The oval effect is particularly noticeable.
PXL_20210528_035136810.jpg

Next, maximum power/maximum divergence, ~50 yards.
PXL_20210528_035230384.jpg

Maximum power/minimum divergence. Absolute lightsaber!

A bit hard to make out on camera but fairly clear when looking through nods: the "circle" on the tightest beam setting is actually 2 overlapping circles, stacked vertically. Almost like the number "8". Can try to get a better picture later.
PXL_20210528_035459817.jpg

Some additional glamor shots:
PXL_20210528_035559821.jpg

PXL_20210528_035757203.MP.jpg

There is a non-trivial amount of light spill to either side of the unit, can see it a bit in the last photo. Not sure if this is a issue all laser illuminators have or just this particular one.

Hopefully this gives everyone interested in buying one an idea of what to expect.

Reactions: jdbazz
Some of us are going to be using these through clip on's for long range. Any feelings on how they would perform in that role??

I was very interested in these for that purpose (clip on), but I traded a guy on here for a Steiner SPIR, and it's ridiculously good so I am probably going to stick with it. I would like to compare the two somehow though

Some of us are going to be using these through clip on's for long range. Any feelings on how they would perform in that role??
Not sure about clip-ons specifically, but the two smaller illuminators are designed to be mounted on top of a optic using something like these integrated rail rings.

0039705.jpeg

Power and range are not a issue even on the weaker dimmer knob variant. I'll try lighting up some steel targets at 500/1000 yards this weekend, time permitting.

I'm in this boat, and hope to have one soon. I mount my IR under the front of the rifle where a bipod would normally mount. Currently using a PVS-30 and Luna. Will report back if I get my mitts on one.

I have a Kn203 and Kn253 along with either a luna or Atilla 200. The Atilla is a bit over kill, so I was looking for something in between but I do want the capability to shoot out to 1k at night (hence the Atilla).

Yep, I started with a Simrad myself (253). I've been to 815 with my 30 and Luna combo. Just haven't had the opportunity to get to 1k in the dark yet.

So, anyone with the Extra, is can you make the beam divergence tight enough to use the Extra with a PVS-30 when the Extra is mounted off the side of the rifle scope? I have had problems with the MAWL and LED based illuminators washing out the PVS....Thanks in advance.

So, anyone with the Extra, is can you make the beam divergence tight enough to use the Extra with a PVS-30 when the Extra is mounted off the side of the rifle scope? I have had problems with the MAWL and LED based illuminators washing out the PVS....Thanks in advance.
All their illuminators are designed to mount on top of their clipon units, but not sure how this would work using 30's if mounted to the scope.

As broskibrobro pointed out, there is some spill from the illuminators and the Extra is no exception.

Nivex-digital-mini-1.jpeg

nivex-plus-kocka.png

Thanks to you jackwagons that got an extra ordered before Daniel got back to me, so now they're not available til July. 😡

My first time filming through NODS (PVS-7) so I apologise for the crappy images but this hopefully gives some idea what the Digital Extra can do. There were a few powerful construction lights shining this direction and you can see there was a lot of dust in the air from the windstorm yesterday...obviously things would look better without this. Also, trees aren't the best backstop for testing beam shape & divergence but that's what I had to work with.

The Extra was set for Turbo mode and I tested it for over 2 minutes without any sign of it dropping to High. Turbo is accessed by two quick presses of the rear button.

Distances were lased with a Zeiss rangefinder.

Tree at 113 meters:

Spot
1 Spot at 100 2.jpg

A bit wider
2 Spot at 100 1.jpg

Wider but not full width (you can't see it but the beam is a nice circular shape...you can just make out the trees to the left being lit up at 150m)
3 Wider at 100.jpg

Cluster of trees at 500 meters:

Spot:
1 Spot at 500.jpg

Wider:
2 Medium Wide 500.jpg

Wider:
3 Wide 500 1.jpg

Wider but not quite full width:
Wide 500 3.jpg

Across the Valley at 1410 meters:

Spot:
1400 meters.jpg

The Extra at 850nm is definitely a beast in turbo mode...and that's with a ton of light pollution and using a PVS-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: broskibrobro
Here are some shots using the Digital Mini in Turbo mode from the same location. Same light pollution and dusty conditions but hopefully the focus is a bit better, and using photos instead of clipped video definitely helped. My previous shots didn't do justice to the Extra...I'm going to try to take more and will post them.

Tree at 500 meters:

Spot:
1 500 meter spot 1.jpg

A bit wider (you can see the oval beam shape - and a helluva lot of dust!):
1 500 meter bit wider.jpg

Wider:
3 500 meter wider.jpg

Tree at 113 meters:

Spot:
4 113 meters spot.jpg

A bit wider:
5 113 meters bit wider.jpg

Wider:
6 113 meters wider.jpg

Here are some newer images of the Extra since my first ones were so fuzzy. Power level is set to Turbo, which was a bit too bright for spot focus at 113 meters as there was some blooming. The dust never seems to go away in these mountains...it was like a moving fog through the NODS and you can see it in the beams.

Tree at 113 meters:

Spot (with blooming) - to my eye the beam was tighter with a nice circular beam:
113 1.jpg

A bit wider:
113 2.jpg

Wider:
113 3.jpg

Wider (showing beam shape & brightness between 2 trees):
113 4.jpg

Trees at 150 meters:

150 meters.jpg

Trees at 500 meters:

Spot:
500 1.jpg

Wider:
500 2.jpg

Wider:
500 3.jpg

Clearly, the Extra has the power to maintain brightness with a very wide beam. The standard Digital unit is also bright but can't illuminate such a large area.

Does the Extra come with the tape switch, or is that an extra item?
Any updates from folks ordering?
Mine came with the tape switch.

I have a Perst 4 arriving later this week and will be wiring the units so I can activate both devices together or separately using a ModButton/Hot Button combo.

Reactions: adamjma
Mine came with the tape switch.

I have a Perst 4 arriving later this week and will be wiring the units so I can activate both devices together or separately using a ModButton/Hot Button combo.
This I very much wish to see!

Any chance they are going to make a Surefire adapter like Luna has?
I know they're working on a switch solution for the smaller units but not sure what it'll be at this point. If they don't make a Surefire adapter I'll be making some...should be a pretty simple job. The adapter should work for the smaller units as well as the Extra since they share the same tube/thread dimensions.

any updates on the tape switches ?
I haven't heard anything about the factory switch solution for the smaller units...I'll send them an email and ask.
My guess is they're likely to modify the smaller unit design to add a switch similar to that on the Extra. I'm currently in the middle of a move so haven't had time to work on making the SF adapter, but plan to once I get settled.

Got my extra in with the factory switch. So far it seems like a beast. Looking forward to checking it out more.

Reactions: jdbazz
How does it compare as far as ease of beam adjustability for width and power? I like the dial and focus of the Luna and really would only want more power for a wider beam with the same intensity

How does it compare as far as ease of beam adjustability for width and power? I like the dial and focus of the Luna and really would only want more power for a wider beam with the same intensity
Beam adjustment for width is the same. Spin the front to widen or narrow. Power is on the button, with 3 presets, low/med/high. I run on medium most always.

Reactions: rlsmith1
As long as one adjustment is infinite, sounds sweet. I know there are links above but do you have a link to the exact unit you ordered?

Reactions: Vitali1342
As long as one adjustment is infinite, sounds sweet. I know there are links above but do you have a link to the exact unit you ordered?
Mine is the digital extra. Looks like it's been replaced with the digital 2. If so, looks like it's gone from 250mW to 300mW. Not sure if anything else has changed. Looks basically the same.

Reactions: rlsmith1
The beam doesn't get as narrow as the Luna. The Luna will basically go down to a pointer. This one doesn't, but it's fine for my usage with a PVS-30. Works well.

The link upSLIDEdown posted is the manufacturer's site. I don't think the manufacturer sells them directly. I've always dealt with the EU distributor at Eloptic.eu...he's the guy (Daniel) that can get it to you in two days.

I don't think the Extra has been replaced. I think it's just a terminology thing between the two sites. They're not very good about making sure they only publish the latest specs and naming conventions...can be confusing. I told them it makes it hard on people researching the products but they don't seem to be in a big hurry to deal with it.

They make a good product but their marketing sucks IMO.

Beam adjustment for width is the same. Spin the front to widen or narrow. Power is on the button, with 3 presets, low/med/high. I run on medium most always.
There's also a turbo power level. I use it fairly often for long range in open terrain (long powerline for example)...really lights things up way out there.

There's also a turbo power level. I use it fairly often for long range in open terrain (long powerline for example)...really lights things up way out there.
Good to know. That's a double press, right? I haven't tried that at all. Forgot about it tbh. Lol.

And yeah, Daniel is who I got mine through. I was posting the link for info more than purchasing. Haha

Good to know. That's a double press, right? I haven't tried that at all. Forgot about it tbh. Lol.

And yeah, Daniel is who I got mine through. I was posting the link for info more than purchasing. Haha
Yes, a quick double-press.
Daniel told me it would drop power after 20-30 seconds but I'm pretty sure I've been able to stay in Turbo mode for longer than that.

They still have the Digital and Dimmer versions but apparently are having issues getting the Extra or Digital 2.
A little language confusion going on. Almost sounds like Daniel is saying they never received any of the Digital 2 from the factory.