• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

That’s fantastic.

It looks like the screen is a standard glossy style unit. Any chance of an E-ink version so it’s more viewable in direct sunlight?

Reactions: acudaowner
That’s fantastic.

It looks like the screen is a standard glossy style unit. Any chance of an E-ink version so it’s more viewable in direct sunlight?

It’s a monochrome memory display that is very high contrast and 100% sunlight readable, but much faster than e-ink. Kestrel has used the display in another outdoor performance product for five years with great success and user satisfaction.

Damn you Kestrel! I'm trying to go the other way and do LESS electronics, but man that thing IS a HUD, and has just about everything I would want. Whoever put that product together knew what they were doing. I hate myself, but I think I have to have one...

I didn't pay attention to it because I was focused on the HUD but man, that 2700 is going to be a really nice budget option for people!

Reactions: Holliday
I didn't see mention, but will the display go into landscape orientation to facilitate other mounting options like using it as an arm board?

I didn't see mention, but will the display go into landscape orientation to facilitate other mounting options like using it as an arm board?

Initially the HUD will only be usable in Portrait mode. The mount is reversible to go on either side of the gun however. That being said, if we hear enough feedback about wanting Landscape mode, this is something we can consider adding with a firmware update down the line.

Initially the HUD will only be usable in Portrait mode. The mount is reversible to go on either side of the gun however. That being said, if we hear enough feedback about wanting Landscape mode, this is something we can consider adding with a firmware update down the line.

Landscape mode would be great. Sometimes the gun mounted databoard can obscure targets and an armboard works better.

Would also like to see landscape mode

I've been wanting this for years! Thank you. When will it be shipping?
I've been wanting this for years! Thank you. When will it be shipping?

Right now we are saying June 2019. There is still some testing to be done. If things go well, we may be able to ship sooner than that however.

I didn't pay attention to it because I was focused on the HUD but man, that 2700 is going to be a really nice budget option for people!
I might get one just to have a lighter, less expensive option thatn my 5700 to use (or lose ?) while hunting,....

Reactions: TheMammoth
The HUD is interesting, especially with the inclusion of the cabled remote. It definitely seems to be borrowing from the Raptar S for a few tricks but leaving the price tag at home.

What will be the cons of the 2700 as compared to the 5700AB??

I think the UltraLite engine is limited in max distance (800 yards? I'm sure @DocUSMCRetired can chime in here), and it doesn't support custom curves. I'm guessing there's no range card function, and I'd also guess limited number of rifle profiles allowed (basing that on the limitations of the Sportsman edition taken a logical step further). I'd also guess it has limited interconnectivity with other devices like Link-enabled LRFs, etc, but that's just speculation. Even if ALL of that is accurate, it's still going to be a solid option for newer LR shooters that need a ballistics solution without a bunch of bells and whistles, and not requiring a phone, that doesn't cost a ton.

Reactions: C Renz
I might get one just to have a lighter, less expensive option thatn my 5700 to use (or lose ?) while hunting,....
It still requires a kestrel. It’s just a repeater for the kestrel. There is no ballistic solver on board the HUD

It still requires a kestrel. It’s just a repeater for the kestrel. There is no ballistic solver on board the HUD

There should have the option as a stand alone unit like the Garmin. I think if it was a stand alone unit it would be a hot seller. The Hud read out on this is way better than the Garmin. Hey Doc get back to Kestrel and mention we want the Option of a stand alone unit with range finder capably.

What is the difference between linking the kestrel to your phone vs the HUD ? not up on this electronic stuff

What is the difference between linking the kestrel to your phone vs the HUD ? not up on this electronic stuff
The HUD is designed to be mounted to your gun and is recoil rated whereas your phone is not. In addition it saves your phones battery I guess? It’s smaller. Lighter.

Reactions: Yoteski
I’d also like to add in the growing requests for landscape mode.

Not everyone likes to hang things off their rifle. Landscape and a wrist band/case would open up more options and pick up sales.

Not that I matter individually, but I’ll buy it if it has landscape mode, but not in portrait only.

How will it hold up in weather?

Specifically rain, snow and extreme cold and heat?

Also how will it hold up to impacts? I'd hate to bump it into a barricade and have a $400 paper weight.

I love seeing what AB and Kestrel come up with each year.

I’d assume the same as their other equipment. Wouldn’t make much sense to release something not weatherproof.

I'm sure it's weather proof. I'm concerned about temps and electronics. It's supposed to be -17*F tomorrow, granted I rarely shoot in that kind of weather, it's nice to know what my equipment limitations are if I do.

I'm not trying to catch Kestrel in a "gotcha", I'm genuinely curios because it does pertain to if I buy it just for matches or also employ it during coyote or deer hunting. A few years ago it never got above zero during our Holiday Deer hunt up here. It's a lot easier in my mind to spend $400 for 20-25 days of use for matches and hunting versus $400 for just 6-12 days of match shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruggedtouch
I'm sure it's weather proof. I'm concerned about temps and electronics. It's supposed to be -17*F tomorrow, granted I rarely shoot in that kind of weather, it's nice to know what my equipment limitations are if I do.

I'm not trying to catch Kestrel in a "gotcha", I'm genuinely curios because it does pertain to if I buy it just for matches or also employ it during coyote or deer hunting. A few years ago it never got above zero during our Holiday Deer hunt up here. It's a lot easier in my mind to spend $400 for 20-25 days of use for matches and hunting versus $400 for just 6-12 days of match shooting.

The HUD will have same properties as the Kestrel for water. IP67, it can be submerged up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. We are scheduled to begin impact testing when mounted to a gun, the units will come with a screen protector as well.

The operating temperature of the display is -20 to 70 C. (-4 F to 158 F). So -17 F might be a little too cold for it.

Does the round count work off of recoil or sound? If sound, is it sensitive enough to operate when suppressed? If recoil it would seem that would be a lost feature of you wrist mounted?

Reactions: TheMammoth