• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

Yep, the Nitro works nicely with the Kestrel (I've already done it). If we're wanting to skip the LRF entirely, you can update the EDope straight from the Kestrel itself, too, right? If so, I assume it's via the range card function?

Correct. You don't need a LRF for the HUD to work.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I got to see a one at the Precision Rifle Expo this weekend - and I dig it. I'm looking forward to seeing them ship so I can snag one.

Reactions: DaveM
Latest date is now December 2019
Intended to put a sad face...not the thumbs up. I want it to be right, but after another match of writing range cards in the rain....this is something to look forward to.

But since I am at it, I will add another sad face for a $90 HUD remote cable. Yeah, I know......and I do love my Kestrel!

Last edited:
Ya, I'm dissapointed that it's delayed but I hope that means it'll be solid when released. I was just searching the videos and pictures the other day and it looks great. I'm pretty excited about it. I think it'll interface with my Terrapin and 5700 Elite well in the way that I use them. It's definitely a large device, I hope the data card bracket/ mount part doesn't suck or require 3 pic slots

The mount only requires one pic slot. I was able to slip it under my scope right in front of my scope mount when I got to play with the ptorotype at the Expo this weekend.

Reactions: reubenski
Initially the HUD will only be usable in Portrait mode. The mount is reversible to go on either side of the gun however. That being said, if we hear enough feedback about wanting Landscape mode, this is something we can consider adding with a firmware update down the line.

I'm late on responding to this one, but add another vote to Portrait mode, even if it's a post-release update.

I got to pick Austin's brain at the Altus Kestrel match last weekend and get a little more hands on time with the HUD. I think it has a *LOT* of potential as a training tool, not just for matches and field shooting. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one in December.

Like any new product, what works on the test bench seems to always find a new bug--or imaginative ways to crash the system-- when you get some prototypes out for people to play with. Then, there are some great inputs to make it better and you have to decide if/how you work those in the final prodcut.

I know we all know this, but as long as they can get them out working/connecting well--and robustly--that's my main priority. But I also agree that if they dont get them out by Feb, they are missing a lot of potential use the first part of the 2020 competition season.

I certainly am sick or writing DOPE in the rain....

ZY

Just here to say I sorted through this whole thread and wish there was more to read about the 2700.

Last edited:
I've gotten to talk to Austin from NK about them a couple times now between the PR Expo and the Kestrel match at Altus, and I got to play with prototypes at both events. I will say that what I saw makes me think it'll be worth the wait, even with the delays. I know I am excited to get my hands on one.

About to jump on the wagon here, is there going to be a Hide full member discount? Is the pre order price lower then the official release price?

Got my 2700 and couldnt be happier. 1trip learning curve and after that i had 1st round hits with my vudoo.

@ 100yd on 1.5 inch plate .
@168 yard@ 2 inch plate.
@204 yards on 4 inch plate.
No chrono so had to play with bc to get it trued from 50 yard zero on first day. I probably did it wrong but I get hits at any distance ive tried

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Just got the SIG 3000BDX and paired with a 5700 Elite. I noticed that the Kestrel needs to be in Device mode vs. PC/Mobile to connect to the SIG BDX. I also pre-ordered a HUD in Sept

Was concerned that I would not be able to connect to both to laze and update. Based on the response above I am relieved to hear it will be updated to connect to both.

Has anyone been able to see this functionality at the Expo’s?

Just got the SIG 3000BDX and paired with a 5700 Elite. I noticed that the Kestrel needs to be in Device mode vs. PC/Mobile to connect to the SIG BDX. I also pre-ordered a HUD in Sept

Was concerned that I would not be able to connect to both to laze and update. Based on the response above I am relieved to hear it will be updated to connect to both.

Has anyone been able to see this functionality at the Expo’s?

I didn't get a chance to see it in use, no.

Getting Closer!

Attachments

• HUD.JPG
    HUD.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 163
That is exactly what the Kestrel HUD will do. There will be an firmware update where you can Bluetooth connect the Kestrel to both the HUD and the Rangefinder and simply lase the targets and have them populate on the HUD screen.

Will the firmware update allow us to connect a Kestrel 5700 to both a Link-enabled LRF and the Link App or AB app?

Reactions: bunsen27
It would be useful to have a way to set up a target list for a holdover stage. You could designate a target as what you're dialing and the rest of the elevations would be offset from that value. If it's target A, the rest would be positive values. If target C was selected, the closer targets would be negative holdovers while the farther ones would positive values.

It would be useful to have a way to set up a target list for a holdover stage. You could designate a target as what you're dialing and the rest of the elevations would be offset from that value. If it's target A, the rest would be positive values. If target C was selected, the closer targets would be negative holdovers while the farther ones would positive values.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one that thought of this.

The biggest issue I see in trying to use this for PRS competitions is target labeling. If you’re supposed to engage targets “B”, “F”, and “M” in that order, the HUD will still only display “A”, “B”, and “C”. As far as I know there is no way to easily and quickly re-label the targets even if you are ranging them with you LRF. It could cause some confusion.

For single target engagements and for getting real-time wind corrections from a tripod mounted Kestrel, it’s definitely the bees knees though. KD prone and F-class might need to amend their rules.

That's an important point for ranges that have labeled the targets. I don't see as many ranges setup that way, but for ones that I do it would be extremely useful. Anything to avoid confusion on the clock is a plus.

Ideally, for PRS competitions, a shooter should be able to walk up to the stage, range the targets in order of engagement, and the HUD will display either a range card or scrollable target list. I’m not sure how the targets could then be labeled in the HUD to match the target designations. You would need to connect four devices. The Kestrel, the LRF, the HUD, and a smartphone to edit the target designator and upload to the HUD.

Maybe this could be accomplished in the AB app? Users could fill out stage specific range cards before the match similar to the DRS e-dope card. Users could then select the stage card to be used and then range the targets in order and the HUD would display the stage card and fill in the firing solutions?

If it’s not an improvement over a pen and paper, it’s really just a cool toy.

Do you see PRS-style matches where you need to range the targets? Every match I've shot the ranges are provided so I could create stage ahead of time with all the details.

While the ranging of targets with the appropriate connected devices might be a benefit for some, for me, being able to create stages, rename targets and select a target for dialing while the rest are holdover/hold unders would be most useful. Loading all 20 stages into the kestrel the night before and selecting each as you get there would be fantastic.

Do you see PRS-style matches where you need to range the targets? Every match I've shot the ranges are provided so I could create stage ahead of time with all the details.

While the ranging of targets with the appropriate connected devices might be a benefit for some, for me, being able to create stages, rename targets and select a target for dialing while the rest are holdover/hold unders would be most useful. Loading all 20 stages into the kestrel the night before and selecting each as you get there would be fantastic.

Generally, ranging targets in not necessary at PRS matches in my area. There is some variation depending on what target is shot at from any given firing position. It can vary +/- 10 yards. I believe there can be a small advantage to ranging each target for a stage from match to match as not every MD has an accurate LRF. The biggest advantage is being connected to your Kestrel and getting real time environmental conditions for your firing solutions. If you’re filling out your range cards at 7am and not getting to the stage until 2pm, your solutions can be wrong as the weather changes.

If it’s not faster and “cleaner” than simply a pen and paper, it’s just a cool toy.

@Kestrel Ballistics One quick clarificationquestion before placing my pre-order, the picatiny mount is included for the $399, yes?

I did a Google search and noted one vendor had a pic mount listed separate for $149. I assumed that was just if you wanted an extra mount.

Thanks in advance!

@Kestrel Ballistics One quick clarificationquestion before placing my pre-order, the picatiny mount is included for the $399, yes?

I did a Google search and noted one vendor had a pic mount listed separate for $149. I assumed that was just if you wanted an extra mount.

Thanks in advance!
Pic mount is included (can be set for left or right side of the rifle), not sure what that vendor is selling.

Couple more questions!
1. Do you have a “pic” of the PRODUCTION pic mount? I ask because I want to know if the clamp portion of the mount is removable. Those of us with scopes mounted very low don’t have the clearance to slide a one piece mount on from the front or from the top. Meaning the only way to get a pic mount on would be if the whole clamp assembly can be removed and reinstalled.
2. What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?

Couple more questions!
1. Do you have a “pic” of the PRODUCTION pic mount? I ask because I want to know if the clamp portion of the mount is removable. Those of us with scopes mounted very low don’t have the clearance to slide a one piece mount on from the front or from the top. Meaning the only way to get a pic mount on would be if the whole clamp assembly can be removed and reinstalled.
2. What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?

I'm 99% sure the prototype I saw had a clamp that could be opened completely like you said. I doubt that's changed.

I'm 99% sure the prototype I saw had a clamp that could be opened completely like you said. I doubt that's changed.
The clamp can be opened into 2 pieces, see on the left the dissembled clamp. Sorry, it is upside down as it is set for a left side install but can also be switched for right side installation.

Attachments

• HUD pic 2 piece.JPG
    HUD pic 2 piece.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 173
The clamp can be opened into 2 pieces, see on the left the dissembled clamp. Sorry, it is upside down as it is set for a left side install but can also be switched for right side installation.

Thank you. @Kestrel Ballistics
Doesn’t look like we’ll be able to mount this to the side of a Spuhr. Am I seeing that correctly?
What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?

Last edited: