• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New KMW 260- with the Sentinel touch!

Red_SC

Redheaded Stepchild
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2003
Florence, SC
At the Practical Marksman match last year I won a .308 Krieger MTU contour barrel and action truing from Terry Cross. When I talked to him, he allowed me to trade the barrel for any caliber and contour I wanted, and he very graciously allowed me to do a full build around it. So, Terry donated the barrel, installation, and action truing, and I paid for the remainder of the build. Everyone knows Terry has been covered up in work for quite a while, so this was a generous gesture on his part.

I told Terry I really wanted a .260, but was fairly open to suggestions on the rest of the build. This is my first custom rifle, all my shooting to this point has been with a stock 700P. Terry suggested a heavy Palma barrel, cut to 24". I told him I liked the feedback I'd heard from the Sentinel stocks, but generally didn't prefer thumbhole stocks. A couple of days later, I had a Sentinel stock in the mail to try out. Let me tell you, this is the best feeling thumbhole I've ever felt. A number of people felt it while I had it, and every one liked it. Needless to say, the Sentinel was chosen.

To make a long story short, the rifle showed up on 2/26/09. Everything about this rifle is a work of art, I haven't found a flaw anywhere yet. The thread protector for the barrel threads is nearly invisible, there are even snaprings on the bottom metal to make sure you can't lose the action screws. Maybe that's standard on other bottom metal, but it's a nice touch.

Anyway, two matches, travel for work, and rain kept me from trying it out until yesterday. This rifle definitely shoots as good as it looks. It was cool yesterday with a hot sun, so the mirage was terrible, and the fixed 16X Super Sniper I have on it for now didn't help any. I still had 3 consecutive loads, at 1/2 grain intervals, shoot .6 MOA or less 5 round groups at 200 jumping 130 Bergers with boron nitride out of sized down Lake City Match brass. The middle load, 43.5gr, was clocking 2935 FPS, so I'll stick somewhere around that. I finally saw a just a little ejector shine at 2975 FPS. Again, the rifle will shoot much better than this, as evidenced by the bughole targets Terry included with the rifle, I was just not steering well. I'm honestly surprised there was anything much under MOA.

Anyway, enough talk, here's what you're here for:

260-1.jpg

260-2.jpg

260-3.jpg

Re: New KMW 260- with the Sentinel touch!

Very nice! I liked the stock a lot when I handled it at McMillan in December.

Nice, I love that stock. Most comfortable stock I've ever owned.

Congrats.

-John

I guess we'll see this next year at HardRock! Nice looking rifle. How much does it weigh?

Ed

so is the sentinel stock available for purchase yet??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The middle load, 43.5gr, was clocking 2935 FPS, so I'll stick somewhere around that.</div></div>

What powder? I'm not even to 2800fps w/43.5gr of H4350.

Mike

Hopefully I'll get it down to Hardrock before too long, I'm planning on coming to one of the regular Hardrock trainups and matches sometime this summer. I haven't weighed it yet, it's definitely heavier than the PSS but not too heavy, the weight is well balanced.

I think Terry is only offering the stock on his builds right now, he once mentioned selling them separately at some point but to my knowledge he isn't yet.

That was with H4350. The differences were probably the thick LC Match brass, and the boron nitride coated bullets.

Very sweet! That stock rocks! Great choice on the .260.

Is that bottom metal come with the stock, or is that the Badger?

That is Terry's own bottom metal, it is designed to work with that stock. Notice the back of the trigger guard where the Badger would leave a gap between the bottom metal and the stock, and the way it drops down to follow the profile of the stock at the front.

man, that rifle and stock make me wanna sell all my posessions and order one up!!!

I have a very long wish list, the Sentinal is on the top of it.

Must have, will have.

Red that is one awesome rifle!!!! You should be proud.

What make of barrel & twist ???

Very jealous...... Another Sentinel out of the master's shop.... Beautiful rifle and great selection getting it in 260 Rem! I'm hoping a Sentinel in 260 Rem is my next stick as well!