• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Laptop?

FredHammer

FAFOIST
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2006
    CONUS
    Dell XPS shit the bed. What’s a durable larger screen laptop that can handle some knucklehead? Range trips now with target cameras. The tough books don’t have very big screens or I’d get one.

Can you really see the difference between a 15" and a 17" monitor? generally the biggest difference is the keyboard size. when you go to teh 17" monitors they become heavy, 7+ pounds. The toughbook would be my choice if i was going to the range with it.

I'm no expert but over the years, Dell has treated me well.

Currently running a company issued ThinkPad. I like the lighter weight and long battery life but the performance and ruggedness could be better. They are going back to Dell on the next go around.

Try finding one not made in China.:mad:

Fuck the Chicoms.

I use a macbook pro and ipad pro depending on what I’m doing that day at the range with onenotes on both so I can make notes and see them on eather. I know people talk sh-t about them but have my ipad for 9 years and still no problems.

Can you really see the difference between a 15" and a 17" monitor? generally the biggest difference is the keyboard size. when you go to teh 17" monitors they become heavy, 7+ pounds. The toughbook would be my choice if i was going to the range with it.
    My eyes are getting old. Thought bigger better.

Fuck a bunch of under powered, over priced shit.
    Get a real laptop, Sager, or Clevo.
    You can buy one w/o RAM and drives....add your own whatever spec stuff you want.
    No spyware, no BS Candy Crush you can't uninstall....everything the way you want.

BTW, I'm typing this on a Clevo with a 8 core/16 thread CPU, 32 gigs memory, RTX 3070 video, 2 NVME drives and a SSD drive.
    It flat out smokes most desktops......bad.

OH, btw, running Win10 LTSC (enterprise 64 bit version, all bullshit removed and no middle of the night upgrades that ruin your shit).

Last edited:
    Reactions: FredHammer
    I had a GRAM… loved it. It wore out.
    I didn’t read the soecs
    On the next Gram and it was tiny and white. Hate it… but not going to retire a perfectly good computer until it’s dead. But I will get another gram. This time a 17” or bigger.

And Not white. Thing looks like it was covered in axle grease at this point. Because it is.

Sirhr

Reactions: Yasherka and Maggot
    Get a decent used Dell Precision 77xx series 17" laptop workstation and put whatever upgrades you want into it.
    Use it as you wish until you figure out how to break it, then buy parts to replace what you broke, or pull all the good stuff out and put it in a replacement unit.

Generally speaking the "rugged" stuff costs so much more (for current gen, not really old stuff) that you can buy, use and break several normal ones for the same cost.

If you want a laptop hit up the Dell seconds page and buy something with cosmetic damage and get a solid discount. If it's not mission critical, get a good backup and don't bother with a laptop designed for harsh environments or rough treatment; too much money.

Also, consider a tablet if your going to be carting a bunch of crap around. A tablet is light, portable, and should be able to do what you need it to.

Been thinking I need something dust-proof too. Shoot on dirt & gravel. 4 wheeler fucks things up too.

I run a 8 YO Dell Latitude 15” it’s bulky and a little heavy but has an excellent screen and with upgraded WDBlack m.2 1TB ($80) drive and 32 GB ($40)of ram. Fast and it works great. I keep it in a case when not in use but it lives, open, in a wood or metal shop.

It’s been dropped, drinks spilled on it (my tea is parked on the palm test now)

The best question is what else do you do with it? What features do you require ? How fast do you want it to be?

The dell alienware17 17.2” (eBay 256009147132) or the lovona may be perfect for you. eBay item 115712037184 whatever you buy, get the usb3 and the best screen available.

1678756185163.png

instead of wasting a ton of money on an rugged PC
    Get a business level model from dell or hp or even lenovo (doesn't matter much which)
    and get a 3 year complete care type warranty that includes accidental coverage with some level of next business day support.

Take better care of your stuff
    buy a laptop bag
    Purchase and install an automated cloud based backup

If you break it, make a warranty claim and don't worry about it.

I have seen Dell replace laptops with coffee pouring out of them and that have been driven over

and the best was a fat girl that had a 5lb Hershey chocolate bar in her laptop bag on a hot day in her car
    yep, dell replaced the laptop filled with melted chocolate (you can't make this stuff up)

As long as you keep your data backed up and can move it to a new machine quickly or get your machine repaired quickly
    not worth buying rugged for most people