Rifle Scopes  New Leupold Reticle

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
Gap shipped mine off Monday, showed up today FedEx. Got it mounted/leveled on my carbon/magnesium Tikka 25cm in Hawkins med. rings on the area419 20moa rail. I really like the reticle. Very open dot for ease of target acquisition, on low mag the target can be bracketed within the half moa open even though the dot isn't really visible. I will have it at the range mid of this next week. In my back yard I can glass out to 600y or so. Everything looks really good. Glass is sharp, optic stays bright up to about 22x above that it darkens towards the max mag, very little edge distortion eyebox is fairly forgiving. Appears on par with the other two mk5hd 5-25x56 I have owned. Those were sold due to tmr/moa reticle in anticipation for these new reticle choices. I am greatly looking forward to getting my hands on a 3.6-18x44 in pr1-mil as well. Have some Hawkins low 35mm rings on order for that.

Reactions: Solby

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
Can someone PLEASE post subtensions on the PR1 mil? Leupold don't have crap on their site anymore. I'll be ordering a 3.6-18x44 in pr1-mil soon, but trying to determine if the standard has the same reticle thickness of the illuminated version. Tempted to just get another nx8 4-32x50 but I really like the ergos and locking turret on the mk5hd.

Last edited:

SAR421

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2019
Can anyone show through optic pictures of the 3.6-18x set at 3.6x, 10x, & 18x? Specifically the TMR, PR1-Mil, & Tremor3. Bonus if anyone has illuminated models and can do the same in low light.

Looking at a natural background helps if possible, reticles tend to look much different in actual use than when looking at a blank space.

It is very difficult to find these locally to look at and none of those reticles seem ideal to me. Which is unfortunate because the optic itself looks fantastic. I suspect the Tremor3 isn’t that usable at low power having no thicker stadia lines and obviously the other 2 don’t have holdovers at all. With a 3.6-18x range this really could be a fast run and gun at low power to long range optic with the right reticle but all of them appear to fall short. I think this optic would really benefit from something similar to the H27D reticle in the Mark 8 CQBSS (obviously with thinned line thickness appropriate for the magnification range and probably just an illuminated dot over the full ring). With a 3.6-18x range on an AR10 I might be shooting a running hog at 50y at 3.6x or a 12” plate at 1000y on 18x. This optic needs a reticle that’s fast on low power with precision holdovers as you crank it up.

Attachments

• 8231C090-5E75-481E-90EE-91C7A0199C1B.jpeg
    8231C090-5E75-481E-90EE-91C7A0199C1B.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 41

SepticDeath

Live Free or Die!
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
Indiana
Can anyone show through optic pictures of the 3.6-18x set at 3.6x, 10x, & 18x? Specifically the TMR, PR1-Mil, & Tremor3. Bonus if anyone has illuminated models and can do the same in low light.

Looking at a natural background helps if possible, reticles tend to look much different in actual use than when looking at a blank space.

It is very difficult to find these locally to look at and none of those reticles seem ideal to me. Which is unfortunate because the optic itself looks fantastic. I suspect the Tremor3 isn’t that usable at low power having no thicker stadia lines and obviously the other 2 don’t have holdovers at all. With a 3.6-18x range this really could be a fast run and gun at low power to long range optic with the right reticle but all of them appear to fall short. I think this optic would really benefit from something similar to the H27D reticle in the Mark 8 CQBSS (obviously with thinned line thickness appropriate for the magnification range and probably just an illuminated dot over the full ring). With a 3.6-18x range on an AR10 I might be shooting a running hog at 50y at 3.6x or a 12” plate at 1000y on 18x. This optic needs a reticle that’s fast on low power with precision holdovers as you crank it up.
I'll try to remember to get pics of my illuminated TMR mark 5 tomorrow after work.

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
Anyone have pics of the PR2 at 5x? Wondering if I'd be ok with it vs the Illum TMR on a mid to long range hunting rifle.
Are you going to be taking mid to long range shots at 5x? At 5x the reticle is pretty thin, at 8x it's usable. Low light you'll want more magnification, or wait for the Illum pr1-mil reticle.

Reactions: Solby and ChrisAU