• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New March-FX 4.5-28X52 HM WA

Bill,

Those look like ACR M10 rings. What height did you use?

Steve

As mentioned earlier, I mount the scope a slot further back than my other scopes. (Could just be an anomaly with me, cause I’ve thought about moving the ZCO back as well) But, if you so the same, lows wont cut it due to the short, sloped bell. Mediums work on this sendero profile.

Shot a bunch today - so far, I’m impressed. (But still not a fan of capped windage)

DC0F47AC-1543-4731-B0CF-AD0C264F7FDC.jpeg

Last edited:
I find the spuhr hunting mounts looks pretty good on this scope, they do not obstruct view of the turrets.

The scope is short(!), so if you have an extended rail on your action you will probably have to use the 34mm high mount.

Sorry that the photo is a bit out of focus.
IMG_20210316_122117.jpg

Reactions: Glassaholic
Now that I’ve shot it a bunch I thought I’d come back and say I’m definitely keeping it. I’ll admit I’ve always been partial to March but for the reticles and sensitive parallax. Shot plenty today at 1000 and on this 223 it’s an ideal fit with a *much* improved reticle, and no noticeable finicky parallax. Much easier to go from 500-1000 and not constantly muck with the dial.

I’m no glass expert (though I do have a ZP5 and ZCO) but I am completely pleased with what I see. I don’t think anyone will be disappointed. I’m looking forward to @Glassaholic ’s much more professional review.

Now that I’ve shot it a bunch I thought I’d come back and say I’m definitely keeping it. I’ll admit I’ve always been partial to March but for the reticles and sensitive parallax. Shot plenty today at 1000 and on this 223 it’s an ideal fit with a *much* improved reticle, and no noticeable finicky parallax. Much easier to go from 500-1000 and not constantly muck with the dial.

I’m no glass expert (though I do have a ZP5 and ZCO) but I am completely pleased with what I see. I don’t think anyone will be disappointed. I’m looking forward to @Glassaholic ’s much more professional review.

More forgiving parallax was one of the goals of doing this design. There is only so much you can do without compromising weight and size, but I think March did a very nice job with this one.

When I was working on the reticles, my personal take on it was that FML-TR1 was really aimed at the 4.5-28x52 and FML-3 was supposed to lean a little more toward the high magnification scopes like the 5-42x56 and the two Genesis designs.

In practical terms, FML-TR1 looks to work well in both, but I really like it in the 4.5-28x52.

ILya

Anyone know if this scope can be used without the windage cap? Would have been nice if they would have made it optional like the NF ATACR. NF supplies a ring to put over the windage threads and allows the scope to be used without the cap.

Anyone know if this scope can be used without the windage cap? Would have been nice if they would have made it optional like the NF ATACR. NF supplies a ring to put over the windage threads and allows the scope to be used without the cap.
Not sure exactly what you mean but yes, you can take the cover off and leave it that way. It’s a very nice turret underneath with good visible markings and distinct clicks. But the one downside is the lack of a windage stop. If you bump your turret you can end up a full revolution off. I choose to run the cover since I hold wind anyway, but just food for thought.
AEFFA4A6-0B6F-4C73-ACC2-8DC8B7D358A8.jpeg

I think he’s after a windage thread protector ring aka NF so threads are covered but windage knob is still exposed/ useable.
I have not seen anything avbl fm Deon.
Deon is very receptive to customer suggestions so an email request to them wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: Eaglearcher20
I think he’s after a windage thread protector ring aka NF so threads are covered but windage knob is still exposed/ useable.
Deon is very receptive to customer suggestions so an email request to them wouldn’t hurt.
Gotcha. Nope didn’t see a thread protector in the box. But I also can’t imagine damaging those threads without also seriously harming the entire scope. But maybe it’s just an aesthetics thing?

Reactions: Anzac
Yes. Don’t know why I couldn’t thing of “thread protector” lol. And I will reach out to them to see.
Gotcha. Nope didn’t see a thread protector in the box. But I also can’t imagine damaging those threads without also seriously harming the entire scope. But maybe it’s just an aesthetics thing?
Not going to lie, part of it is for aesthetics.

I've been looking at different scopes for weeks now to go on my Vudoo when it rocks up. This new March 4.5-28x52 seems to tick every box for me. Looking forward to seeing the reviews. I'm just wondering how much it will be here in Australia. A ZCO is $5600 AUD so sorta hoping the March is cheaper but I doubt it.

I think most of the "tactical" style March stuff is low 4000s.

One of the retailers had S&B 5-25 PM2s for similar money recently, I would probably go that way at that price point unless size and weight is your priority.

Reactions: Quickoz
Just ordered the March 4.5x28 earlier this week after reading through this thread. Now I can't wait.

Ordered some Meopta Meostar binoculars after researching them online. I am hoping the March does as well for me as the bino's did.

Just ordered the March 4.5x28 earlier this week after reading through this thread. Now I can't wait.

Ordered some Meopta Meostar binoculars after researching them online. I am hoping the March does as well for me as the bino's did.
I am completely ignorant on scopes compared to most so take this with a large grain of salt, but I love everything about the scope aside from a capped windage (just preference for me). Glass is clear. Reticle (TR-1) is nice plus having just the center illuminate is awesome as it isn’t distracting like having the entire reticle lit up. Compact and lightweight compared to similar mag range scopes. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

So, because of this thread, I took the plunge on this optic and ordered it as of yesterday. Hopefully in the next two months I'll have it in hand!

Reactions: Denys
My brother and I both got one from longrangesupply.com. They were in stock and the time from order/payment to arrival was 3 days. Scopes aren't mounted but at first look through the glass they are phenomenal.

@smarcus Would love to see some pictures of your set up!
When the rifle is built I'll take pics. It is a Left Handed Defiance Action with a Proof 16.5 inch 6mm CM carbon barrel going into a Manners MCS CS2 w/ mini chassis and Badger EFR stock March 4.5-28 scope, Triggertech Diamond trigger and Silencerco Omega. Action and Barrel should be back from Mid South shortly but I think I'm still 2 months out on the stock.

Reactions: Chasing3
Does anyone have an option for aftermarket flip up caps? Aadland has some March caps that will fit the objective lens but not the ocular lens. I tried to contact them to see what they would suggest but never heard back.

^^^ March has flip caps that come with the scope FYI. but just contact Jon, he will make an ocular cap but my guess is one he has already works

Glassaholic is correct. The March comes with neat flip caps that open flat and lock in place. What special features are you looking for in caps?

Nothing special. I am using the included caps. I want to know if there is anything else to consider. Not looking for a specific feature.
Thanks

Nothing special. I am using the included caps. I want to know if there is anything else to consider. Not looking for a specific feature.
Thanks
If you do find something else out there, please let us know. On my F-TR Match rifle, my March-X 10-60X56 wears the leather caps from March. I simply remove them at the beginning of the day and place them in my shooting bag. Then I put them back on when I put my rifle in its case. I have no need for flip up caps on that rifle.

However, my March-FX 4.5-28X52 wears the included March flip-up caps. I really like the fact that when you flatten the open lid on the side of the scope, it locks in place and doesn't flop around. Same with the ocular lens cap also. They stay locked and no movement.

Reactions: stemikel
Sorry, my hard drive crashed and backup wasn't backing up for 3 months so I lost all my pictures and my writeup, I've had to redo everything and trying to do that in the midst of putting our house on the market has not been fun.
I have 3 letters for you: SSD.

Sorry to hear about your computer troubles.

Sorry, my hard drive crashed and backup wasn't backing up for 3 months so I lost all my pictures and my writeup, I've had to redo everything and trying to do that in the midst of putting our house on the market has not been fun.
Aaaaarrrrggg. Sorry to hear and you don't have to tell me about getting a house ready for market. Went thru that last fall.
No need to apologize. You are doing us all a great service by providing quality info.

Hope things settle down for you soon. I'll be patient. :)

One that has a tree that can be used at 10-15x against dark background and at high speed. The FML cannot even be used at 20. The Leica reticle is ok if you do not shoot under 18x, but hat is AFAIK not where the vast majority of PRS shooters are. I say that as a happy owner of two Leicas.

Good examples are 7c and mpct3
@Reppa I thought I'd bring this over into this thread so we could discuss the merits of the different reticles for PRS use. You mention a reticle that can be used from 10-15x and mention the FML cannot be used even at 20x. There are 3 reticles offered in the March 4.5-28, the FML-TR1, the FML-3 and the FML-PDK. Which FML are you referring to? I only have experience with the FML-TR1 reticle and am trying to figure out if you feel the reticle is too thick or too thin for your use? For my eyes the reticle is usable even below 10x, these are crude iPhone images I took through my scope from 10-20x so help me understand what needs to change in order for this to be "usable". I am honestly not trying to argue here, I truly want to understand so I might be able to help March improve on future reticles.

These are rudimentary photos taken with my iPhone XR so they are not high quality, but they give a reference point for us to discuss where they fall short from 10-15x and also how it's not usable at 20x. Also, as is the case most of the time, the reticle looks better to the naked eye than how they look in these images.

20210613_March_4.5-28x52_FML-TR1_10x_ 004.jpg

20210613_March_4.5-28x52_FML-TR1_12x_ 005.jpg

20210613_March_4.5-28x52_FML-TR1_15x_ 006.jpg

20210613_March_4.5-28x52_FML-TR1_18x_ 007.jpg

20210613_March_4.5-28x52_FML-TR1_20x_ 008.jpg

@Reppa I thought I'd bring this over into this thread so we could discuss the merits of the different reticles for PRS use. You mention a reticle that can be used from 10-15x and mention the FML cannot be used even at 20x. There are 3 reticles offered in the March 4.5-28, the FML-TR1, the FML-3 and the FML-PDK. Which FML are you referring to? I only have experience with the FML-TR1 reticle and am trying to figure out if you feel the reticle is too thick or too thin for your use? For my eyes the reticle is usable even below 10x, these are crude iPhone images I took through my scope from 10-20x so help me understand what needs to change in order for this to be "usable". I am honestly not trying to argue here, I truly want to understand so I might be able to help March improve on future reticles.

These are rudimentary photos taken with my iPhone XR so they are not high quality, but they give a reference point for us to discuss where they fall short from 10-15x and also how it's not usable at 20x. Also, as is the case most of the time, the reticle looks better to the naked eye than how they look in these images.

View attachment 7647304

View attachment 7647305

View attachment 7647306

View attachment 7647307

View attachment 7647308
I was talking about the fml tr1, but referring to the tree, not the main cross. Doing quick holdovers at say 1.8mil elevation and 1.3 wind against a dark background would be impossible for me.

Consider a 120second stage with targets at 3,4,6,7,8 and 900 meters where you shoot
target 1-2 1-3 1-4 1-5 1-6
give it a 7ms crosswind and a typical green/brown forest/moss/rock background

Even at 20x, I had a hard time making out the 0.2 mil dots

Last edited:
I was talking about the fml tr1, but referring to the tree, not the main cross. Doing quick holdovers at say 1.8mil elevation and 1.3 wind against a dark background would be impossible for me.

Consider a 120second stage with targets at 3,4,6,7,8 and 900 meters where you shoot

Oh gotcha, it’s the tree that poses an issue if you are holding your solution. So if the dots were thicker it would work better for you? Anything else you would like to see changed? Would you rather see a thicker PDK or would you prefer a thicker TR1?

Oh gotcha, it’s the tree that poses an issue if you are holding your solution. So if the dots were thicker it would work better for you? Anything else you would like to see changed? Would you rather see a thicker PDK or would you prefer a thicker TR1?
A thicker Tr1 would do it for me. Ebr7c is pretty similar, but with 0.6 and 0.9 dots in the tree.
1623732942721.jpeg

A thicker Tr1 would do it for me. Ebr7c is pretty similar, but with 0.6 and 0.9 dots in the tree. View attachment 7647549
Thank you Reppa. I wonder how many other PRS shooters would prefer thicker dots? I know March had one of their PRS shooters help them design the PDK reticle which is very thin, and I know some prefer thin reticles but your comments make me wonder how many in the PRS community might be moving away from "thin" and preferring thick for exactly the scenarios you mention above. @canezach, do you have any thoughts on this as well?

Thank you Reppa. I wonder how many other PRS shooters would prefer thicker dots? I know March had one of their PRS shooters help them design the PDK reticle which is very thin, and I know some prefer thin reticles but your comments make me wonder how many in the PRS community might be moving away from "thin" and preferring thick for exactly the scenarios you mention above. @canezach, do you have any thoughts on this as well?
It would seem a reticle design similar to the ZCO MPCT3 with open circles instead of dots would be the solution for fast acquisition at lower magnification but not obtrusively thick at higher magnification.

Reactions: Hegre
Here, a lot of the top shooters have moved to ZCO mpct3. The popularity of that scope in the top echelon is a strong indicator IMO. I presume the trend is similar in the US. Curious to know.

Thank you Reppa. I wonder how many other PRS shooters would prefer thicker dots? I know March had one of their PRS shooters help them design the PDK reticle which is very thin, and I know some prefer thin reticles but your comments make me wonder how many in the PRS community might be moving away from "thin" and preferring thick for exactly the scenarios you mention above.

This is why I actually prefer a full crosshair to dots of any kind. And why I think open circles instead of lines for each mil are faster and easier to use. The ZCO MPCT3 reticle would be nearly perfect with a closed crosshair center.

This is why I actually prefer a full crosshair to dots of any kind. And why I think open circles instead of lines for each mil are faster and easier to use. The ZCO MPCT3 reticle would be nearly perfect with a closed crosshair center.
lte, you bring up another interesting point. Over the past 5 years or so (probably since the SKMR series came onto the scene) it seems the big push in PRS has been towards a center dot, but you're saying open circles in the tree at full mil marks and a standard crosshair in the center would be preferable? In your opinion, which reticle have you used that has the ideal "thickness" within the Goldilocks zone of magnification (let's say 12-18x)

Honestly, I don't. My personal favorite reticles are the MR4 from Minox and the Gen3XR. Both give me a perfectly usable tree, if I need it, at the mag range I prefer, but I don't know the exact size of the dots.

lte, you bring up another interesting point. Over the past 5 years or so (probably since the SKMR series came onto the scene) it seems the big push in PRS has been towards a center dot, but you're saying open circles in the tree at full mil marks and a standard crosshair in the center would be preferable? In your opinion, which reticle have you used that has the ideal "thickness" within the Goldilocks zone of magnification (let's say 12-18x)

The H2CMR is, in my opinion, just about perfect. If you put a simple tree on it it would be hard to beat. I think the mpact3 reticle is darn near what I’m describing, but with a center dot.

The reason I don’t like a center dot is we almost never aim with it. It’s almost always a slight favor or even a hold off, so why put something there that draws your eye away from the part of the reticle you want to actually put on the target? I think the center dot is great for precise placement shooting groups, but just an added distraction for how we use a reticle in this game. I’m sure many will disagree, but if we all agreed we wouldn’t have 100 reticle to pick from!

The H2CMR is, in my opinion, just about perfect. If you put a simple tree on it it would be hard to beat. I think the mpact3 reticle is darn near what I’m describing, but with a center dot.
I've never understood the open circles, I find them distracting, would like to explore their benefit vs a larger dot in more detail.
The reason I don’t like a center dot is we almost never aim with it. It’s almost always a slight favor or even a hold off, so why put something there that draws your eye away from the part of the reticle you want to actually put on the target?
Well that's a very good point, I only use the center dot for 100 yard load dev, but anything further or in gusty winds we're going to be holding off center so I see your point on how a crosshair provides the quick center reference.
I think the center dot is great for precise placement shooting groups, but just an added distraction for how we use a reticle in this game. I’m sure many will disagree, but if we all agreed we wouldn’t have 100 reticle to pick from!
That's funny, reminds me of the shave ice trucks that have a 1000 flavors to pick from :ROFLMAO: Hmmm, I wonder how popular a scope rental truck would be at PRS match, offer 20-30 different scopes with different reticles for shooters to try out and play with, maybe I just figured out a new business venture, I could buy a nice RV and travel around to the various PRS and NRL venues...

Honestly, I don't. My personal favorite reticles are the MR4 from Minox and the Gen3XR. Both give me a perfectly usable tree, if I need it, at the mag range I prefer, but I don't know the exact size of the dots.
Right, see I think you and I are more similar in that we prefer dots in the tree, but I wonder if I can make some type of dot circle hybrid, let me jump into CAD and see what I can come up with.

I realize we are veering a little from the main theme of this thread, but since March designed the 4.5-28x52 to be a PRS/NRL style scope, I think the discussion on reticles is still applicable as I think reticles can make or break a design especially for use in this sport.

Right, see I think you and I are more similar in that we prefer dots in the tree, but I wonder if I can make some type of dot circle hybrid, let me jump into CAD and see what I can come up with.

I realize we are veering a little from the main theme of this thread, but since March designed the 4.5-28x52 to be a PRS/NRL style scope, I think the discussion on reticles is still applicable as I think reticles can make or break a design especially for use in this sport.
You and I definitely prefer dots. We discussed that before when we were talking about ZCO

@canezach @Reppa @lte82 (and any other PRS shooters), take a look at this, keep in mind there is no guarantee anything I design will ever come to fruition, but I'd like to capture the best of everyone's thoughts and try to implement that. Constructive criticism welcomed. The idea behind the below design is based on a blend of my previous designs (with dots) but also with the open circles as well as a center cross with just the cross illuminated.

1623892076664.png

@canezach @Reppa @lte82 (and any other PRS shooters), take a look at this, keep in mind there is no guarantee anything I design will ever come to fruition, but I'd like to capture the best of everyone's thoughts and try to implement that. Constructive criticism welcomed. The idea behind the below design is based on a blend of my previous designs (with dots) but also with the open circles as well as a center cross with just the cross illuminated.

View attachment 7648807
I like it overall. The .1 dots are interesting as well inside 2 mil, but they would need to be viewable at say 12-14x otherwise it sorta turns that section into a half mil reticle, and that section is by far the most important, and I think a lot of people shoot in the 12x range for some stages. And if it did work, why not go all the way across with it? Consistency in sight picture to me is worth a lot, which is why simple seems to work better for me.

Really like the open view in the tree with the circles. I don’t like trees but this one Id use.

I like it overall. The .1 dots are interesting as well inside 2 mil, but they would need to be viewable at say 12-14x otherwise it sorta turns that section into a half mil reticle, and that section is by far the most important, and I think a lot of people shoot in the 12x range for some stages.
This is, in part, why I designed the first 2 mils around center to be the dots, since this gets used a lot, just not sure how much dots on the main stadia will be received
And if it did work, why not go all the way across with it? Consistency in sight picture to me is worth a lot, which is why simple seems to work better for me.
If it does work as you say, do you see a drawback to using dots across the horizontal stadia instead of a solid line, was trying to think outside the box a bit, but might be too far outside the box...
Really like the open view in the tree with the circles. I don’t like trees but this one Id use.
Well that's the hope, a more compelling tree design that would get competitors to use it, and maybe some who haven't used tree reticles before.