• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New March in Exhibitions 2018.

This is my former March scope. My understanding of the mil values is that with 1/6400 the click adjustments were smaller than the newer 1/6283. Apparently the adjustments in mine were larger than 1/6283. I didn't care about that much because it was repeatable. This was to be a hunting scope and it took extreme concentration to dial out the parallax, not something worth dealing with on a hunting scope or PRS style competition scope. The other problem was that getting parallax dialed out, a clear picture, and a clean reticle rarely happened. I did not buy from bullets.com but their response was basically "these never have problems you just don't know how to set it up". Killswitch had the same observations and he has set up a few Ffp scopes.

I'm surprised people like the T1 reticle. When in precision shooting is it beneficial to have a small opening as the POA surrounded by a thick gob of reticle obscuring the target area around the POA? I can't think of a scenario I'd want that reticle in any shooting discipline.

I love the package they come in, size, shape, weight, turrets, and glass. As a functional aiming device there are many better executed options for much less $ IMO.

Did you test this at 100 yards or meters ?

I did not do this test, it was performed by member killswitchengage. Was a part of the pinned thread of his tracking tests on the scout site.

I don't disagree with what Frank is saying. March do buggerall in the way of advertising and while they may associate the branding "Tactical" with some of their scopes, I don't think they're on the same playing field as others in the tactical/PRS market. When I was initially getting into F-class I'd never heard of them until I saw a few guys running them and saw the incredible zoom ratio, which for F-class is good. I don't know what last year's sales figures were for March, but I do know a couple of years back they sold more scopes in Australia than the US, and that says a lot given the population and licensed shooter difference between the two countries - we're a speck in the ocean compared to the US, but March and NF have the F-class/benchrest crowd covered well here.

I've seen a couple of guys run them on tactical guns here, but again, we don't have the same freedoms as the US PRS guys who get to shoot at unknown distances and off of all sorts of barricades that we simply aren't allowed to. I'm putting two tactical rifles together this year, I've already got an AMG Razor waiting to go on a Konohawk stock. The MPA chassis I'm waiting on may very well have a ZCO later in the year. It won't have a March because personally I don't think they offer anything that is the right tool for the job.

March scopes are not for everyone, not for the masses. They are essentially a boutique riflescope company. Their scopes are all hand assembled in Japan in small batches using all Japanese glass and parts and are individually inspected before they ever leave the factory. That attention to detail costs money and of course, you get the security of having a great scope. The US company that brings in the March scopes from Japan has a factory-trained engineer on staff and I met him at SHOT; he's a super nice guy and quite dedicated to March scopes. They have a full service center right here in the US in the unlikely event that your March scope needs service.

I bought my March-X 5-50X56 4 years ago and it's been flawless. I'm an F-class shooter, way too old to run and gun; I'm an SFP guy with MOA reticles and known distances. I spend a lot of time behind the scope and I wanted the highest quality glass to eliminate eye strain and give me a crisp clean picture of the rings on the target; so I upgraded from Nightforce (NXS 12-42X56) to my March and never looked back. The NF is a great scope, the March is that much better to my eye.

The business with the MilDot being 1/6400 vs 1/6283 is years in the past, but if people feel they need to hang on to that, so be it.

I bought my March from Jim Kelbly and I have been using it for 4 years. I've learned a lot more about March from Shiraz and his team and Gary Costello from March UK. Shiraz invited me to be in the March Optics booth at SHOT because of my experience using March scopes. There, I had time to play with many more March scopes including the FFP versions. I met the US-based engineer at SHOT and I learned even more about March scopes.

I don't work for March, I'm an IT professional of 45+ years and an enthusiastic March scope user.

I'm looking forward to the announcement coming next month.

Oddly enough I saw March scopes listed on Optics Planet around SHOT and thought that was interesting, thought it was a fluke but seeing this news I now know why, I wonder if Optics Planet will offer a mil discount like bullets did or how March will work that out if at all... was going back to thinking a March 3-24x52 would be a sweet on a Vudoo V-22 rig :) gotta love the 10y parallax!

I jumped on this thread because March scopes intrigue me. They do seem to be different. This new information the last 12 hours might truly be a game changer?

It’s a shame optics planet is picking them up, being the anti gun cuck faggots they are. Time to find another source.

March Optics, USA remains. It's a separate company from Bullets.com. I confirmed with Shiraz that nothing changes for the riflescopes. Optics Planet is a channel for March Optics USA through which you can buy March scopes. You can also buy March scopes directly from March Optics USA as you do now.

I'm still looking forward to the announcement next month.

It’s a shame optics planet is picking them up, being the anti gun cuck faggots they are. Time to find another source.
No need, you can buy direct from March Optics USA right now. Nothing has changed for March scopes.

Without deliberately trying to stir the pot... Will the departure of bullets.com soften Lowlights stance on March optics? Is it a distributer problem, or a quality/design issue? Curious minds want to know.

Without deliberately trying to stir the pot... Will the departure of bullets.com soften Lowlights stance on March optics? Is it a distributer problem, or a quality/design issue? Curious minds want to know.
Doubt it. They have earned the criticism. They made the bed, they get to sleep in it.

Wjm308. Yes Marchoptics.com has a 20% military and LEO discount. Just go to marchoptics.com and go from there. The checkout is done through bullets.com, but I was informed that Marchoptics.com will have its own checkout before bullets.com closes shop. So there should be no interruption. If you have an issue ordering, call them directly.

I found this:
https://verify.sheerid.com/marchscopes/

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
Bender, and what criticism is that exactly? I've known Shiraz for many years and he is a straight shooter and a top competitor. Shiraz was the captain of the US F-Open rifle team for several years and he supports various clubs and competitions.

There are two sides to every story, I would think.

Reactions: Bender
Bender, and what criticism is that exactly? I've known Shiraz for many years and he is a straight shooter and a top competitor. Shiraz was the captain of the US F-Open rifle team for several years and he supports various clubs and competitions.

There are two sides to every story, I would think.

I have zero quarrel with Shiraz, I don’t even have a problem with March, other than the slow to admit the MIL issue.... they drug their feet on owning up to it, and correcting it. That is the bed they made. I just know my money will go elsewhere first. That’s all....

Straight shooter he is not....

I’ll just leave it at that, as you’re clearly bias.
Of course I'm biased; I said I've known the man for years. Super nice guy and I'm not alone in that estimation, witness the thread linked to above.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the announcement next month. We'll talk then.

Wjm308. Yes Marchoptics.com has a 20% military and LEO discount. Just go to marchoptics.com and go from there. The checkout is done through bullets.com, but I was informed that Marchoptics.com will have its own checkout before bullets.com closes shop. So there should be no interruption. If you have an issue ordering, call them directly.

I found this:
https://verify.sheerid.com/marchscopes/
Denys, will March scopes be able to be serviced in the USA should any warranty issue arise, or will they have to be shipped back to Japan? If purchased through Marchoptics.com will there be a return policy or will it be like bullets.com who did not allow any returns? Thank you.

Bill

Denys, will March scopes be able to be serviced in the USA should any warranty issue arise, or will they have to be shipped back to Japan? If purchased through Marchoptics.com will there be a return policy or will it be like bullets.com who did not allow any returns? Thank you.

Bill
Hey Bill, I do not speak for Marchoptics. I do know that Marchoptics.com has a factory-trained technician on site and he is able to do virtually all servicing that may be needed. I do not know about their return policy. You can call them directly to find out but I will send them an email to find out what the policy is regarding returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
So this mysterious new March scope now has a name and will be called Genesis. No specs available yet. Still not sure whether it's an F class or tactical offering but it will be released on 9 March.

I just received a 1-8x24 Shorty, so I'll be playing with it for a couple of months. It is impressively compact.

ILya
ILya, that is indeed an impressively compact scope. I don't use these types of scopes as I'm an F-TR junkie and won't get out of bed for anything less that 40X. It was great meeting you, however shortly, at SHOT. I'll look forward to your report.

Reactions: motofrog

Bill
Sorry for the delay in following up. I do work for a living, and it's not for March Optics.

From what I was told, March Optics does not take returns and I've been told this is pretty common in the very high end optics industry. I did a quick search last night at USO and similar they are along the same lines. If you so much as opened the box, they don't won't take it back. When I bought my March-X 5-50X56, it didn't have any qualms about it and when I opened the box, I was just astonished at how nice it was and so well packaged.

March Optics USA has a full service center with a factory trained engineer (and yeah, he's a real engineer. I met him at SHOT.) He has impressive testing equipment on site and they stock parts on site as well. He told me they can handle most issues right there but if a scope had to go back to the factory for disassembly under warranty, they take care of that and you get the scoped shipped back to you directly at no additional cost.

They tell me they have a calibrated impact tester that can simulate various caliber recoils and they also have a 6-foot collimator.

Have a look here:
http://marchoptics.com/quality-control

I'm very much looking forward to finding out the specifications of the new Genesis. Is it March yet?

Reactions: Jb6101
ILya, that is indeed an impressively compact scope. I don't use these types of scopes as I'm an F-TR junkie and won't get out of bed for anything less that 40X. It was great meeting you, however shortly, at SHOT. I'll look forward to your report.

Likewise, it was good to meet you Denys.

The March Shorty seems to be the only decent LPV scopes that is more compact than the NX8, so I was very curious about it. I need to get my hands onto the NX8 and do a side-by-side.

ILya

Reactions: Denys
So this mysterious new March scope now has a name and will be called Genesis. No specs available yet. Still not sure whether it's an F class or tactical offering but it will be released on 9 March.
The Genesis... interesting, means beginning, so could this be something entirely new?

Thank you Denys and my apologies for all the questions, I thought you were a March rep. Some of the top Hide dealers will offer refund (or at least credit) if you are not happy with a top tier scope, this allows me to be a little more adventurous with being an early adopter on some of these scopes and I think when Jim Kelbly sold March he also offered returns, but bullets.com strict policy on no returns I think kept some folks back because most of us never get to see these scopes in the wild and if you don't like the reticle or don't like the turrets or... well too bad so sad. I remember one Hider on the old Scout site who mentioned they bought a March that had an issue, but instead of being able to return it to get a new one, it had to be shipped back to Japan, if that truly was the case then that raises some big red flags. I've owned two March's and have been very impressed, but for those who've never experienced them the policy is hard to get past. Obviously March wants to hinder shooters from buying their scopes, playing with it a bit and then sending it back, but by limiting themselves to being sole distributor and not offering returns is going to limit the number of shooters who might choose one otherwise. March is going to do what they're going to do and nothing I say will change their minds, I think their scopes are outstanding for what they offer and I think they'd have better market share if they used a better dealer network. Optics Planet is an interesting choice, be curious to see how OP and March USA compete.

Yes wjm , it will indeed be the Genesis of a new way of achieving the
difficult objectives , of some of the particularly difficult genre’s and ‘ theatres ‘
of shooting . That is all for now , we are less than 2 weeks out from IWA .

I cannot speak of the US March dealer policy , but here is a little info
on the other two worldwide dealers . ( March UK , March Australia / BRT
Shooters Supply ) . Both the UK and Aus dealers are guys who are
multiple World Champions in several different discliplines : they are very
talented shooters and the choice of March optics has been very successful .
I’ve seen the Aus dealer hit at over 2000 yards in 20 mph gusting winds , with
his Win Mag - he reads the wind rather well ....

Here is March policy in UK and Aus . ( and regions covered by those dealers )
If you are unhappy with your March optic , and if its returned undamaged in
original packaging , within a reasonable time , ( say 14 days ) you get a full
refund . You are only out of pocket for a few $ return postage .

If you are unhappy with the reticle , and prefer another reticle or even another
optic , same deal . Return it undamaged in reasonable time , work out the cost
difference ( if any ) and you can swap to the optic you want . Simple .

I asked the Aus dealer if he had any unhappy returns . So far he has had just TWO
optics returned in TEN years . That tells a story of a vast majority of happy customers .
A very , very different story from the number of returns some companies have .....

Denys , you would be the best placed person on the hide to mention this to the US
March dealer/s . It would seem prudent to follow the lead of the gentlemen running the
other two dealerships worldwide . The US dealer policy is not endorsed by March in Japan ,
who are inline with and support the Aus and UK dealer policy .

The Genesis... interesting, means beginning, so could this be something entirely new?

Thank you Denys and my apologies for all the questions, I thought you were a March rep. Some of the top Hide dealers will offer refund (or at least credit) if you are not happy with a top tier scope, this allows me to be a little more adventurous with being an early adopter on some of these scopes and I think when Jim Kelbly sold March he also offered returns, but bullets.com strict policy on no returns I think kept some folks back because most of us never get to see these scopes in the wild and if you don't like the reticle or don't like the turrets or... well too bad so sad. I remember one Hider on the old Scout site who mentioned they bought a March that had an issue, but instead of being able to return it to get a new one, it had to be shipped back to Japan, if that truly was the case then that raises some big red flags. I've owned two March's and have been very impressed, but for those who've never experienced them the policy is hard to get past. Obviously March wants to hinder shooters from buying their scopes, playing with it a bit and then sending it back, but by limiting themselves to being sole distributor and not offering returns is going to limit the number of shooters who might choose one otherwise. March is going to do what they're going to do and nothing I say will change their minds, I think their scopes are outstanding for what they offer and I think they'd have better market share if they used a better dealer network. Optics Planet is an interesting choice, be curious to see how OP and March USA compete.

If I gave you the impression that I was a March representative, I apologize; it was not my intention to do so or misrepresent myself in any way. As I said earlier, I'm a highly satisfied March scope owner for which I paid full price years ago and still graces my F-TR match rifle. It was an upgrade from my Nightforce NXS 12-42X56. I know Shiraz well, been meeting him for years ate various large matches and he invited me to be in their booth at SHOT. During that week, I had plenty of time to play with a lot of March scopes and talk with the engineer at March Optics USA.

As I understand it, Optics Planet is a dealer for March Optics USA.

Yes wjm , it will indeed be the Genesis of a new way of achieving the
difficult objectives , of some of the particularly difficult genre’s and ‘ theatres ‘ of shooting . That is all for now , we are less than 2 weeks out from IWA .
(snip)
Denys , you would be the best placed person on the hide to mention this to the US March dealer/s.

Done.

On another note, Shiraz, the owner of March Optics is a great F-Open (the dark side) competitor and has a string of wins. He was also the Captain of the US F-Open Rifle Team for several years. It would seem the common thread with the three worldwide March dealers is the fact they are successful shooting competitors all using March scopes.

I met Gary Costello at Connaught in Ottawa during the 2017 FCWC. A nicer person would be difficult to find. We spent time talking about March scopes and later we corresponded via email after that. I was very happy to met him again when he came to SHOT and stopped by the Marchoptics.com booth.

It is called the Genesis because this is new, uncharted ground. This is game changing, patented technology. After reading some of these comments, and to be clear I do not work for March. I am an enthusiast. I own many different brands, March being one that I have zero issues with and have really enjoyed being able to shoot.

You will find out more on March 9th, but I can tell you this is completely different from anything you have seen before. I have been blessed to have been able to work as part of the development team on this personally, with a group of seriously world class engineers, and shooters. I just wanted to comment and be clear, this is never before seen patented technology that is game changing.

It is called the Genesis because this is new, uncharted ground. This is game changing, patented technology. After reading some of these comments, and to be clear I do not work for March. I am an enthusiast. I own many different brands, March being one that I have zero issues with and have really enjoyed being able to shoot.

You will find out more on March 9th, but I can tell you this is completely different from anything you have seen before. I have been blessed to have been able to work as part of the development team on this personally, with a group of seriously world class engineers, and shooters. I just wanted to comment and be clear, this is never before seen patented technology that is game changing.

Hey Doc, you're back, haven't seen your posts since the old scout site. So, "game changing" and patented and something no one else is doing, hmmmm. Revic is already doing HUD and bluetooth, Schmidt is doing BT, Swarovski is doing ballistics with their ds series. The fact that you are part of the Applied Ballistics group lends me to think that it has something to do with built in ballistics... Either way I really hope they include a FFP mil reticle and not SFP because when electronics go down you still want a usable scope. Well, all this is speculation for the next 11 days until we get the official word. PS - if you could influence March to bring their High Master glass to the 3-24 and 5-40 and improve turrets and parallax a bit, well no use beating a dead horse, I've been asking for that since early last year.

If I gave you the impression that I was a March representative, I apologize; it was not my intention to do so or misrepresent myself in any way.

You did not Denys, it was my misunderstanding so I apologize for not paying better attention, when you said you were working the March booth I assumed you were a March rep, sorry for any confusion and thank you for clearing that up.

Reactions: Denys
Hey Doc, you're back, haven't seen your posts since the old scout site. So, "game changing" and patented and something no one else is doing, hmmmm. Revic is already doing HUD and bluetooth, Schmidt is doing BT, Swarovski is doing ballistics with their ds series. The fact that you are part of the Applied Ballistics group lends me to think that it has something to do with built in ballistics... Either way I really hope they include a FFP mil reticle and not SFP because when electronics go down you still want a usable scope. Well, all this is speculation for the next 11 days until we get the official word. PS - if you could influence March to bring their High Master glass to the 3-24 and 5-40 and improve turrets and parallax a bit, well no use beating a dead horse, I've been asking for that since early last year.

You did not Denys, it was my misunderstanding so I apologize for not paying better attention, when you said you were working the March booth I assumed you were a March rep, sorry for any confusion and thank you for clearing that up.

Improve the parallax in the 5 - 40? Mine does sub 10 yard parallax at full magnification? Not sure what you mean here? Improve the turrets? Mine are extremely solid. Thousands of rounds later, and they are still very responsive? If you can elaborate, I can certainly pass it along.

I will also pass along the High Master suggestion.

The accoutrements you mentioned such as Bluetooth, HUD and Ballistics are what we would call "evolutionary." I believe the Genesis is going to be classified as "revolutionary."

We shall know soon enough.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
Improve the parallax in the 5 - 40?

I have been scouring all the forums before purchasing a scope for my new 6.5 SAUM build. The only critiques about the March 3-24x52 and 5-40x56 scopes that I have seen consistently are that:

1. The parallax requires careful adjustment (i.e., the adjustment range from 10 to infinity is very small and thus requires careful adjustment)
2. The "eyebox," for lack of a better word, is not as forgiving as some of the other top tier scopes in its class
3. The illumination is not daylight-bright
4. It sure would be swell if they tossed in the HighMaster glass.
5. People would feel better if they could offer a longer warranty. Although I understand Deon backs its scopes and that the warranty is a byproduct of Japanese law.

Other then that, it seems they track consistently, are durable, lightweight, and have a great magnification range, and are overall very well engineered and constructed scopes.

If the new offerings addressed these three things it would probably jump March to the top of the list.

Full caveat, I don't own one, so everything I said above is just a collection of internet "wisdom."

Ahh, Internet wisdom. I do not know how we coped without it.

1. Parallax adjustment benefits from the larger focus ring (added extra) which improves leverage. (DEON should really make these standard)
2. "Eyebox" should be banned as an optical term. Set the scope up correctly in the first place and have a consistent cheek weld. If you do neither there will always be problems at higher powers regardless of brand.
3. There are two versions of illumination - bright and not so bright. But the glass quality is such that rarely is illumination required. I only really "need" it at the end of twilight when hunting. I shoot night shoots without lighting up the reticle.
4. We all want a High Master 5 - 40 FFP!
5. The Australian reruns quoted above fill me with more confidence than any warranty.

But I like what Doc says. Revolutionary infers a complete or dramatic change with regard to shooting. March is keeping things close to its chest and I am waiting to find out more, but I suspect it is going to make some gear commentators very upset and get Forums agitated.

We are 4 position shooters, your cheek weld will change unless you adjust the stock, hence the "eyebox" complaint as we all don't shoot prone. The speed and movement combined with the variety of obstacles in terms of size and location of the shooters body changes.

Because they (March) focus on Prone or Benchrest shooters, we see something they do not. Granted lowering the magnification opens up the eyebox, but other scopes are not having the same issue. saying it doesn't make it so, the proof is in the results. By results I mean who is using them in greater number vs the competition.

Reactions: alexunderfire
I'm not aware of other scopes having 8X zoom ranges for FFP and 10X zoom ranges for SFP. Yes, when I get behind my March-X 5-50X56 when it's at 40X and up, it is a little finicky but as soon as I get the 10 pound melon on my shoulder in the proper position, all is revealed in full splendor. It's a lot easier at 5X.

The High Master series features Super-ED glass. I suspect that type of glass would show up on FFP scopes at some point.

We are 4 position shooters, your cheek weld will change unless you adjust the stock, hence the "eyebox" complaint as we all don't shoot prone. The speed and movement combined with the variety of obstacles in terms of size and location of the shooters body changes.

Because they (March) focus on Prone or Benchrest shooters, we see something they do not. Granted lowering the magnification opens up the eyebox, but other scopes are not having the same issue. saying it doesn't make it so, the proof is in the results. By results I mean who is using them in greater number vs the competition.

I've shot a March 5-40 in competition in a hell of a lot more positions than prone supported. Seated & kneeling (supported & unsupported) - off barricades - Hawkins - Back-laying - standing/offhand and a bunch more. I can say with complete confidence that the 'eyebox' is no different to the S&B's and NF's I've used. 5-40 works every time, weighs less than the competition, has awesome reliability and superb glass. I'm no March zealot though, they need better reticles and while the warrantee terms aren't a problem for some it does pale in comparison to the competition.

In the 3-24x52 I tested head position was slightly more critical - after spending the time to get properly setup on the gun it was another non issue

and still, nobody uses them ... go figure we all must be missing out on an awesome optic

Sheesh HMFIC, we get it, you’ve got a personal issue with March.

Maybe “nobody uses them”, but I’ve just bought a third.
After selling off my Vortex, Nightforce and Bushnell.

I have one too, had I felt they were better I would own more. I tend to own a lot of really great products, you know like my 18 S&Bs which does not include the ones from them directly, or my dozen plus NF Scopes, etc, you get the picture. I mean I am the same guy with 9 personal Accuracy International Rifles when the fact of the matter is, I can walk in the door at MHSA and borrow any number of them.

My issue is more with the idea that this optic is so great everyone not using it wrong. It was weighed, measured and found lacking, sorry that is not just my opinion.

you fanboys come off like Philip of IOR Fandom because not as many people agree with your personal assessment of it.

It's turning into an IOR Lite Clique, but the glass, but the zoom ratio, why aren't you on your knees over the zoom ratio, it's stupid.

If you weren't acting this way I would just laugh at your ass and move on, but the constant cry of the greatest is comical so why not troll you all a bit

Wow.

I own 3 because nothing else (except perhaps SB US) compares in its weight and size class. Nothing.

I have one too, had I felt they were better I would own more. I tend to own a lot of really great products, you know like my 18 S&Bs which does not include the ones from them directly, or my dozen plus NF Scopes, etc, you get the picture. I mean I am the same guy with 9 personal Accuracy International Rifles when the fact of the matter is, I can walk in the door at MHSA and borrow any number of them.

My issue is more with the idea that this optic is so great everyone not using it wrong. It was weighed, measured and found lacking, sorry that is not just my opinion.

you fanboys come off like Philip of IOR Fandom because not as many people agree with your personal assessment of it.

It's turning into an IOR Lite Clique, but the glass, but the zoom ratio, why aren't you on your knees over the zoom ratio, it's stupid.

If you weren't acting this way I would just laugh at your ass and move on, but the constant cry of the greatest is comical so why not troll you all a bit

There are many factors related to product adoption. Hensoldt isn't used much in PRS but it's an impressive optic. March has outstanding products and reliably terrible marketing. Frank, have you used a March 5-40? I'm genuinely interested in your opinion of it?

The point isn't that March is the greatest precision rifle optic of all time. The point is that it doesn't warrant criticism from people too biased to report objectively on it.

weight and size come with compromises,

I tend to use Ultra Shorts in this case, but those are lighter than the 5-40x as mentioned above. Plus I find the tactical reticle too thick to work with the high zoom range.

I don't feel the compromises to get those dimensions lend to the same comparison. Plus I am a tactical shooter, in 90% of the situations, I find myself the high zoom range has little use. Sure I have a 5-45x S&B, but use it on an ELR Rifle. My others are happy with 25x-20x or less, I rarely shoot over 20x.

Do I really need a scope that small with that high a zoom ratio, No, I have zero need for it, and it lends nothing to my style of shooting but compromises?

if this was so desireable others would follow closer suit. Again, it's not even on the competitions radar, fact. There is nothing in this "class" because nobody bothers, which is what is so funny. But the Ultra Short is lighter and just as small.

The NF 4-16x is lighter too 30oz
Vortex AMG 28oz

Both lighter and in a zoom ratio that works for what i do