• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan HTG M40A1 smear stocks!!!

My experience is the same as @Jrb572 cut for post 64 width bottom metal, slightly oversized.
IMG_9736.jpeg

Got an email and it looks like McMillan will offer three different smear patterns in the future for custom orders.

Attachments

• IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 121
So much for a limited run of 50 stocks

I would not have really cared about getting one of the first if I new I could just order it be patient and wait.

I still am happy I got one and will be bedding it hopefully in the next few weeks.

Now to get Chad on the mounts. I want to take mine to a class next year if it works out. I don’t trust it with the shitty TMA mount.

And hope they don’t start offering it in a finger smear. That would piss me off. But I know McMillan doesn’t care what I think.

I got my reproduction M70 bottom metal from a trusted source here. Not the Hogsden. Maybe this will spur a specialty shop to do production runs of bottom metal. Badger? LRI? Just trying to find original Winchester bottom metal is expensive and it still needs modifications. I'm all for paying fair market value for quality products and still letting the vendor feed his family. For that matter, McMillan could offer it as an add on to the custom orders. The alternative is that we cut each other's throats bidding up the ones that show up at auction with uncertain pedigree.

I don't think reproductions, in this case, will be detrimental to the value of the rare, original pieces held by collectors. It would increase interest in the originals rifles and their history, and make the field more accessible to the hobbyist level shooter, like me. Without new blood the institutional knowledge could be lost to the depths of the internet. My teenage son is excited about the builds I have planned.

Reactions: Jrb572 and msr_762
I emailed and I got that the first 50 colors are going to be only available on them. Then the picture next to it is a forest and be two more color patterns down the road.

I could be wrong but that is how I took it

Last edited:
I got my reproduction M70 bottom metal from a trusted source here. Not the Hogsden. Maybe this will spur a specialty shop to do production runs of bottom metal. Badger? LRI? Just trying to find original Winchester bottom metal is expensive and it still needs modifications. I'm all for paying fair market value for quality products and still letting the vendor feed his family. For that matter, McMillan could offer it as an add on to the custom orders. The alternative is that we cut each other's throats bidding up the ones that show up at auction with uncertain pedigree.

I don't think reproductions, in this case, will be detrimental to the value of the rare, original pieces held by collectors. It would increase interest in the originals rifles and their history, and make the field more accessible to the hobbyist level shooter, like me. Without new blood the institutional knowledge could be lost to the depths of the internet. My teenage son is excited about the builds I have planned.

There is a Unertl mount on Gunbroker at the moment I’m almost positive is a POS TMA mount.
Seller has it as rare with some camouflage paint still on it.

it’s definitely a tma mount. You can tell by the tiny dot tig weld spot on the side of the rings/base. All the pictures of an usmc mount or the redfields bases with welded rings, the welds are fat and heavy. Aka, not pretty like tma tiny spot welds. And I’m pretty sure the usmc mug welded them. All of tma mounts are spot welded by tig

I just hate to see someone pay well it’s at $505 at the moment for a poor reproduction mount

• Sad
Reactions: msr_762
it’s definitely a tma mount. You can tell by the tiny dot tig weld spot on the side of the rings/base. All the pictures of an usmc mount or the redfields bases with welded rings, the welds are fat and heavy. Aka, not pretty like tma tiny spot welds. And I’m pretty sure the usmc mug welded them. All of tma mounts are spot welded by tig
Original mounts.
IMG_0261.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0195.jpeg
    IMG_0195.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 88
I emailed and I got that the first 50 colors are going to be only available on them. Then the picture next to it is a forest and be two more color patterns down the road.

Say again, over?

I’m not totally comprehending what you mean by “the first 50 colors are going to be only available on them…”

Supposedly and I could have taken it wrong. The first 50 are close to original smear color. Past that they would not give me any other information except the picture included in the email had the original 50 colors and new woodland color next to it

I thought the one that is on the right we had already seen. But I would email them

Supposedly and I could have taken it wrong. The first 50 are close to original smear color. Past that they would not give me any other information except the picture included in the email had the original 50 colors and new woodland color next to it
This is the picture from the latest email that you are referring to, yes? I could be wrong, but both look like the forest smear pattern we’ve seen from the current releases of the new smears; the “top” colors in the camo on the bottom left is just more subdued and translucent. Regardless, exciting to see what other “new smear” patterns and offerings McMillan will give us.

IMG_2980.jpeg

They say those are two different patterns

If they happen to come out with a finger smear I’ll have to buy another one

Reactions: kft101
I would not have really cared about getting one of the first if I new I could just order it be patient and wait.

I still am happy I got one and will be bedding it hopefully in the next few weeks.

Now to get Chad on the mounts. I want to take mine to a class next year if it works out. I don’t trust it with the shitty TMA mount.
They may have started out planning just the limited run. The strong response may have convinced them to continue them.

I'd bet you if they weren't flying off the shelf there would be no more.

I hope they continue to make more available in the future but I am glad I got one in this batch. Just as easily as they say they will make more they could just as easily say next month say they will not make any in the future.

I hope they continue to make more available in the future but I am glad I got one in this batch. Just as easily as they say they will make more they could just as easily say next month say they will not make any in the future.
They see there is a market. I don’t think they will back out now.

I wonder how the winning bidder on that gunbroker auction is going to feel?
If this run of smears is going to stay unique from any following runs/production, the winner will still have a limited item so easily may not care.

That one idea could be cool. Make your own smear. It would be very personal in that respect. The beginnings of a future family heirloom.

All 10 dropped at once. And are now taken down. There’s a quick $9,320 for McMillan.

All 10 dropped at once. And are now taken down. There’s a quick $9,320 for McMillan.
As usual, I never saw a thing but at least I don't have to go through the "I had one in my cart...." 😏

Someone should have the pictures up on here this afternoon sometime. That's always interesting to view.

Last edited:
Oddball, I might have messed up sending it since I’m new here, but did you see the PM I sent a while back?
Actually I've never hit that mail button before that I can remember. I'll have to look. I may have a lot of apologies to make for ignoring that button.

Did anyone get pictures of them all like in the past? Wish McMillan left them up a little long after being sold so we could look at them. When they drop, I think everyone is just so focused on getting one that pattern is secondary. Plus there no time to waste.

Reactions: Jrb572
I tried again, having found someone in the US who would take delivery for me (as McMillan won't ship to the UK) only to find out they won't accept payment from the UK either.
I suppose non US customers are out of luck.

I tried again, having found someone in the US who would take delivery for me (as McMillan won't ship to the UK) only to find out they won't accept payment from the UK either.
I suppose non US customers are out of luck.
Ordered one from Canada without problems.

Did anyone get pictures of them all like in the past? Wish McMillan left them up a little long after being sold so we could look at them. When they drop, I think everyone is just so focused on getting one that pattern is secondary. Plus there no time to waste.
They probably don't want the onslaught of emails asking about them despite any blatant sold sign or deletion of a buy button they would put on the links. Makes it like bigfoot sightings. You hear the frantic claims of witnesses, maybe see a grainy photo and hear Leonard Nimoy announcing "In Search Of, McMillan Smears" An insider pic showing the finger painters on the assembly line. Maybe that's where Mr Hanky went too? "Howdy Ho". He dips himself in paint and gets all artistic?

• Haha
All,

A forum member sent me a PM asking about how the bottom metal should fit in an A1. I sent him these photos and figured I’d put them here in case anyone else had the same question, or wanted to offer their opinions/observations.

I have two M40A1’s in smear return stocks. The painted rifle was built at PWS in 2017. When I sent the parts to Quantico, it was missing the floor plate but had the original trigger guard. The builder sourced the floor plate and built the rifle. You can see he took great care to make sure the parts fit low and flush. There is no slop and very little gap underneath.

The unpainted rifle was originally built by GA Precision in about 2007. Ten yrs after being put together, I stumbled upon the stock it’s currently in and seated the barreled action in it. A quick skim bed up top, but the floor plate/trigger guard were left untouched and are still in the original bedding from the last time the Marine Corps bedded/built the gun. You can see the amount of air between the metal and fiberglass.

So, in short, nice and tight or loose and sloppy are both correct, it just depends on how much care the 2112 building the gun took fitting everything together.

IMG_1318.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1316.jpeg
    IMG_1316.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 51
All,

A forum member sent me a PM asking about how the bottom metal should fit in an A1. I sent him these photos and figured I’d put them here in case anyone else had the same question, or wanted to offer their opinions/observations.

I have two M40A1’s in smear return stocks. The painted rifle was built at PWS in 2017. When I sent the parts to Quantico, it was missing the floor plate but had the original trigger guard. The builder sourced the floor plate and built the rifle. You can see he took great care to make sure the parts fit low and flush. There is no slop and very little gap underneath.

The unpainted rifle was originally built by GA Precision in about 2007. Ten yrs after being put together, I stumbled upon the stock it’s currently in and seated the barreled action in it. A quick skim bed up top, but the floor plate/trigger guard were left untouched and are still in the original bedding from the last time the Marine Corps bedded/built the gun. You can see the amount of air between the metal and fiberglass.

So, in short, nice and tight or loose and sloppy are both correct, it just depends on how much care the 2112 building the gun took fitting everything together.

View attachment 8275419
Nice comparison! The unpainted stock looks to be using a pre-64 floor plate, based on the “flattened” hinge area. I believe the pre-64 floor plates are thinner than the post-64 floor plates, as in your painted stock. Could this also explain the gap and “looseness” in the fit of the floor plate to the unpainted stock?

Nice comparison! The unpainted stock looks to be using a pre-64 floor plate, based on the “flattened” hinge area. I believe the pre-64 floor plates are thinner than the post-64 floor plates, as in your painted stock. Could this also explain the gap and “looseness” in the fit of the floor plate to the unpainted stock?

I think there are several factors contributing to the gap under the floor plate of the unpainted rifle.
1) The trigger guard must be sitting .060” above the stock.
2) The floor plate is definitely thinner (pre64)
3) The notch for the plate latch is filed much deeper
4) The hinge is loose/sloppy and has a lot of play (2 photos showing the distance the floor plate will swing left/right)

The differences between these two guns can be summed up by the phrases “just graduated” and “ready to settle down.”
IMG_1333.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1322.jpeg
    IMG_1322.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1327.jpeg
    IMG_1327.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1328.jpeg
    IMG_1328.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 45

I took the email to imply they will continue making smears, but not using the more vibrant green colors like the originals & these have.
So this limited run should still remain unique, and hold value.
The forest green smears don't look nearly as good as these IMO