• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member just saying hi and desires SH opinions

lovemylegacy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
Texas
Hey whats up? Just joined recently to learn a little more about shooting, in the past I would sight in at a known distance and wouldnt shot much past that distance. My desire is to atleast get a basic knowledge of how to use a rifle/scope combo properly using MOA adjustable scope. I purchased a M&P AR15 223/Vortex Viper 1-4x24...I know its not a LOOONG distance rifle but I have confidence that it will reach to 600yds easily. All opinions and critic base responses enthusiastically accepted. THANX Calvin

Re: New Member just saying hi and desires SH opinions

Where to begin?

34rx2ee.gif

"For Fucks sake go out nd shoot"...paraphhrased from some cool guy
grin.gif

What exactly is the question?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly is the question? </div></div>

Doesn't matter. The answer is 42.

And no, OP, such bacon as is brought home by equipment here isn't going to be gotten by a typical AR shooting a 4X scope, with or without a reticle system. There's a worthy post in one of the subforums with a video outlining the steps to set up a budget precision rifle that you should watch. Once upon a time, I sort of thought like you, well, no, not really, but I was still running a .30 cal centerfire with a decent if not spectacular scope. There's a ton to learn.

You're going to need a higher magnification scope if you plan on getting to 600 or switch to iron sights because the lines in your scope are going to obscure the actual target at that range... 1-4 is for hunting in the woods and CQB stuff...

I guess the question is, are the rifle and scope mentioned good enough to get started with? How to use scope properly using MOA? I am more into listening vs talking/posting soooo, post away, if I have questions I will ask. Just remember I am a Novice when it comes to what you fellers do, so be gentle with the info presentation as I am not quite as knowledgable. My history in guns and accuracy is mostly hunting oriented and not necessarily long distance shooting

Do some research, Calvin. You can figure out how mildot systems work just by picking up a product insert from a manufacturer. But nobody is going to grab you by the hand and lead you through this. Read for a few weeks to get an idea for what's involved in the equipment ($) and skills (lots of time) and then decide how interested you are.

I have a pink 22 with tassels you might have a better chance to hit 600yds with...and I will even throw a Counter Sniper scope in for free cause if you do any sort of distance shooting, you will need to pick one of those up ASAP!!!!

Lovemylegacy...best thng for you to do, is not post for about 2 years. ANd in that 2 years, read every thread in every section of this board. Posting questions on here that have been answered 500 times already gets guys ticked off here real easy. Go to the main page, and start with the rifle equipment section, then start going into the semiauto section, then optics section, and so forth. Eventually find yoursef in the long range section after about a yearof reading through what this site has to offer...

I love it! Well I wasnt here for the other 499 post, but Im glad to be here for 500th, just needed to be pointed in the right direction, but wasnt aware that it was a touchy subject just trying to learn and I do appreciate the kind words.I take it you aint much on S&W? I will take your instruction to heart.... i might be interested in that pink 22...always wanted one of those! All kiddin aside this sounds like fun. Rifle eq., semiauto, optics...headed there right now. By the way you were kiddin about the 2 yrs? Thanx Calvin

I would suggest to try and find a local gun club and see if they have any long range matches. You can get a good idea searching around this site, but it will be more helpful to try and find someone in your area to help you out.

I appreciate the info. A couple of gun clubs in this area with the longest being 500-600yds and I think its private/LE, the longest public is 200. Thanx Calvin This is sweeeet!

You're in Texas. So is the mecca. Go spend a couple days at Rifle's Only, and you will see what you need to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovemylegacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the info. A couple of gun clubs in this area with the longest being 500-600yds and I think its private/LE, the longest public is 200. Thanx Calvin This is sweeeet! </div></div>

Dont know wherre you are in Texas but Rifles Only in Kingsville area has all you could want an more. If your in west Texas it might be closer to go th the NRA Whittington Center at Raton, NM. Or try the Members Hook Up just below this one.....

FWIW Ive gotten fairly good accuracy out of an AR...certainly smaller than chest sized groups at 500, with my ACOG. Not really accurate as LR goes but fun with tracers.

I don't think he was joking about the reading. I was reading the forums for almost 8 months before I even signed up. I'm still reading .So welcome to the hide and read ,read and do more reading.
smile.gif

Man! This is awesome. Rifles Only, that looks sweet. I live in SE Texas on Tx La border east of Beaumont. One thing that I already knew was this may require a Custom rifle, precise handloads, lots of downrange practice and lots of $$$$. Im gonna start with what I have, practice withit, look into Rifles Only and go from there and read read read...well I've already done some of that for a couple of months before I posted on here. Just wonderin what is more fun, target comps or the 3gun type? THANX! Calvin Once again, this is sweeet! Hey Stanwood...Im still waitin on that pink22 !

Sorry the pink 22 is going to the daughter, but I wasn't joking about the reading. I can't stop you from posting, but I strongly advise you to read, and read, and read. Then like others have said, go to a training course, or go to a local range and put what you have learned into use!!