• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member, New 6.5 Grendel Build

Princess_Jamie

Nomad
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2017
Shortly after I signed up for this forum, I made up my mind to piece together a 6.5 Grendel as an all around type rifle. I plan on utilizing this for target shooting, varmint shooting, and possibly small game. I have the opportunity to practice shots up to 1k yards on my family's property. We are also having an issue with chickens disappearing from the coop (with confirmed blood trails). Below is a list of my purchases within the last few days along with the future purchases.

Purchased

-24" Radical Arms Upper (ARRIVED)
-Anderson stripped lower (ARRIVED)
-LaRue MBT trigger (ARRIVED)
-Strike Industries enhanced lower parts kit (ARRIVED)
-A2 style buffer assembly (ARRIVED)
-Luth chubby grip (ARRIVED)
-Luth AR MBA-1 stock (ARRIVED)
-Vortex cantilever 30mm scope mount (ARRIVED)
-Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD/DMR 223/308 scope (Back order)
-Atlas BT10 bipod (ARRIVED)
-Elander Magazine (Back order)

Last edited:
Shortly after I signed up for this forum, I made up my mind to piece together a 6.5 Grendel as an all around type rifle. I plan on utilizing this for target shooting, varmint shooting, and possibly small game. I have the opportunity to practice shots up to 1k yards on my family's property. We are also having an issue with chickens disappearing from the coop (with confirmed blood trails). Below is a list of my purchases within the last few days along with the future purchases.

Purchased

-24" Radical Arms Upper (I am expecting flak from this purchase but I will take my chances as the price was hard to beat)
-Anderson stripped lower (what I used in my 223 build)
-LaRue MBT trigger (Great reviews)
-Spikes enhanced lower parts kit (Great price and it comes with extended take down pins to prevent me from breaking nails)
-A2 style buffer assembly
-Luth chubby grip (Perfect size for my dainty hands)
-Luth AR MBA-1 stock (I like its looks and reviews)

Future Purchases

-Different style muzzle brake (I am unsure about the pepper-pot one on the lower)
-Vortex cantilever 30mm scope mount
-Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD/DMR 223/308 scope
-Harris bipod with the rotating bipod adapter

Not to be forward, but I would have to say that's the worst build sheet I've seen in a long time... I would go back to the drawing board if I were you.

The LaRue ultimate upper packaging in 6.5 Grendel is worth the money at only $800, and includes everything you need with the exception of a stripped lower which I'm sure you can find at your local gun store for less than $100.

The upper is a solid 1 MOA shooter, and once you feel your ready to step things up you can swap the LaRue barrel and replace it with a 22" JP or have a custom Bartlein spun up.

Last edited:
The LaRue ultimate upper packaging in 6.5 Grendel is worth the money at only $800, and includes everything you need with the exception of a stripped lower which I'm sure you can find at your local gun store for less than $100.

I got the upper for a steal to get me started ($359). I am prepared to make modifications as needed.

First off welcome to the forum.

you put yourself and build out there. Kudos for that.

people will always knock you if you don't have the top of the line gear. Kinda like school.

I recently built a budget build Grendel also. Bought a no name barrel off of eBay for it. Yes eBay. It's MOA. It hits what I aim at. I've shot it out to 600 with my handloads and hit the 10" target 100% of the time.

to hell with what others think.

Future Purchases

-Different style muzzle brake (I am unsure about the pepper-pot one on the lower)
-Vortex cantilever 30mm scope mount
-Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD/DMR 223/308 scope
-Harris bipod with the rotating bipod adapter

I apologize for bigjake83 behavior on the 31st and 1st. He was an ass to more than just you and in rare form even though that seems to be the case quite often. We are not all like him.

that said...

Muzzle break:
This is what I use, and while there are others that do a little better job at mitigating recoil, these are cost effective, small, light and don't have the concussion of the others while taming what recoil the grendel has down to just a bump.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94_121&product_id=1012

SLR recently added the two chamber model that might be worth a look for the same price and should offer extra recoil mitigation.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94_121&product_id=1239

-Vortex cantilever 30mm scope mount: no issues here.

-Harris bipod with the rotating bipod adapter:
Again no issues here, however get the model that swivels and has notched legs like this one
http://www.primaryarms.com/harris-bipod-9-13-inch-standard-legs-swivel-hbsl

or the shorter model

http://www.primaryarms.com/harris-bipod-6-9-inch-with-leg-notches-bench-rest-swivel-hbsbrm

Awesome, thx for the responses, and I'm use to catching crap from people as I spent many years in a combat engineer unit as support just for being female plus I don't hold grudges. Everything is purchased except for the bipod. The Harris plus adapter is 190$ and for a little bit more I can have an Atlas BT10 which is what I'm currently looking at.

If money savings is of concern the ALG ACT trigger is an awesome trigger for $69.00. ALG is a division of Geissele. Other than that everything looks ok. I have both Atlas and Harris Bipods. I prefer Harris. I run the Harris S-BRM bipod with the "S" Lock upgrade then just attached it to my handguard with either a KMOD or MLOK bipod stud adapter.

If money savings is of concern the ALG ACT trigger is an awesome trigger for $69.00. ALG is a division of Geissele. Other than that everything looks ok. I have both Atlas and Harris Bipods. I prefer Harris. I run the Harris S-BRM bipod with the "S" Lock upgrade then just attached it to my handguard with either a KMOD or MLOK bipod stud adapter.

I ended up getting a LArue MBT so we will see how that works. As far as saving money, I'm going for an inexpensive approach without being cheap. The upper was a steal on gun broker.

Let us know how it shoots. Are you handloading or shooting factory ammo? My 6.5 Grendel just didnt like that Hornady Black ammo but hammers with handloads

You may end up looking at a new barrel sooner than later. 24" is really long for a Grendel semi, and presumably its a heavier profile barrel. This pretty much defeats the purpose of going from a large frame in .308 or 6.5 CM with a 20"-22" barrel to a small frame AR. 20" is probably the max you want to go in Grendel semi. It will get you out to 1000 yd, but won't be too heavy or cumbersome in the field.

Hand loading. I have a box of 123gr SMK I used in my 260rem before switching to the 139gr Lapua secnars. I will try some of the ELD ammo from Hornady at first. I still have to order the dies for it.

You may end up looking at a new barrel sooner than later. 24" is really long for a Grendel semi, and presumably its a heavier profile barrel. This pretty much defeats the purpose of going from a large frame in .308 or 6.5 CM with a 20"-22" barrel to a small frame AR. 20" is probably the max you want to go in Grendel semi. It will get you out to 1000 yd, but won't be too heavy or cumbersome in the field.
I was thinking this as well. I will get some rounds through it first and see how I like lugging it around, but i don't think this build is done by no means. ;0)

Run what ya brung... I too am putting together a 6.5G with about $500 in the upper. Not everyone wants a $3k rifle. I have other toys than have much larger budgets. But a 6.5G sounds fun. What scope you going to use?

I went with the primary arms 4-14x44 ffp 223/308 HUD dmr reticle. I also went ahead and ordered the atlas bt10 bipod today.

Hope it runs great for you. I'm in the process of putting a 6.5G together as well and all in I'm just under $950 for the rifle not including glass. I ended up with an Odin Works barrel and bolt, hoping it'll hold MOA consistently.

Reactions: alcap
If you haven't been to the 6.5 Grendel forum, look them up. A lot of info on the 6.5 there.

Hope it runs great for you. I'm in the process of putting a 6.5G together as well and all in I'm just under $950 for the rifle not including glass. I ended up with an Odin Works barrel and bolt, hoping it'll hold MOA consistently.

My Odin easily holds sub moa. I've shot 5" groups at 700 yards with it.

I took my grendel out to the range yesterday and was easily hitting steel at 560 yards. I have a Bear Creek 20" upper with a Primary Arms HUD DMR ACSS .223 currently on it because its what i had lying around. I do plan on getting the .308 variant because the BC's are supposed to be closer to the 6.5 than the .223 is. For the money, its hard to beat those scopes.

Upper arrived. Surprised to see MP stamped on the bolt bead and only minor machining marks exist.

Attachments

• photo85521.jpg
    photo85521.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
Looks goofy without a trigger, scope mount, and scope but its getting there.

Attachments

• photo86606.jpg
    photo86606.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 23
Welcome and congrats on your 6.5 G build. About a year or two ago, I ordered a Radical 20” upper in 6.5 G, and even though it is cheap/no name upper, I’ve had good results with it. No, it’s not nearly as nice as a JP, or other quality manufacturer, but I bought it as a hunting rifle for my wife (deer and antelope), and so far I can’t complain. It’s consistently sub-moa, and to date I’ve shot one of my smallest 5 shot groups with it (0.18 moa). With that said, I haven’t had the best luck with it out to distances past 800 yds, so I will be going with a different upper in the near future (I’m thinking Odin, AA, or Larue). Anyways, let us know how she works out for you. Here’s mine with that one target...

Attachments

• photo86251.jpg
    photo86251.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo86628.jpg
    photo86628.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 18
  • photo86629.jpg
    photo86629.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 15
Thank you, I am just going to work up a handload to compliment the rifle and practice and see where that gets me.

Yes they even included some spice.

Attachments

• photo86887.jpg
    photo86887.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 29
  • photo86888.jpg
    photo86888.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 24
  • photo86889.jpg
    photo86889.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 22