• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

new member w/ question. RE: 700sps tactical

Ken1911

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Hi purchased a 2nd hand rem 700 sps tactical 20" bull barrel and it came with the varmint stock. Did Remington produce two sps tacticals, one with the hogue stock, and one with the varmint? If so, what was the price difference (if any) between the two? Thank you!

Re: new member w/ question. RE: 700sps tactical

i double checked the original box the rifle came with and it does state the item as a rem 700 sps tactical 20" with varmint at the end. the production date/ or purchase date rather is 2009. i've never seen a tactical with a varmint stock from factory before. anyone familiar with this?

I've never seen this, but for all practical purposes both stocks exhibit flex and are generally swapped out for more stable stocks along the lines of the HS Precision stocks by those who are seeking to make the rifle better shooters. I wouldn't stress over it and seriously doubt one stock costs more than the other, but simple internet searches for the stocks alone should answer your question whether one is worth more than the other.

Congratulations on the rifle!

I saw a few on gun broker about a year ago they were called sps tactical varmint special at least that is what they were advertised as. They were listed as a special edition and were being sold right around the 900.00 mark. They appeared to be a rem sps tactical in the standerd varmint stock.
Hope this helps

Did you purchase the rifle from a gunshop or pawn? If so more than likely the original owner purchased the rifle, sold the Hogue and got some decent furniture, then decided to sell the rifle and put it in a Varmint stock. You can pick up the Varmint stocks for $25 some times here in the sale section. More important is the twist rate. Not sure if some of the older Tacs had 1:10, mine came with a 1:12. Either way have fun with your rifle.

Remington might have made a distributor special.

There should be a 5 digit number starting with 8 on the end of the box. Plug that into google and see what pops up.

thanks for all the replies. much appreciated!

Saw two of these rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods a while back. Checked out the tags and thought they were mis-advertised, but they were indeed 20" SPS Tacticals with the varmint stock. Were quite a bit more pricey than the SPS Tactical.