• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Meopta Scope - Optika6

Honestly how does Vortex offer such a great warranty. I would guess they have a nice margin. Competition is very beneficial for the consumer. Schmidt prices have dropped significantly.

My understanding is that the Meopta Optika6 is assembled of globally sourced components. It’s also my understanding that the Optika6 line was developed expressly for the US Market.

Ilya, I have been following your blog for a few years and am a big fan of your reviews.

Since you have some experience working with Meopta on the reticles for the Optika6 line, I was wondering if you could provide some insight into how Meopta is able to release such a feature-packed scope at a very reasonable ($6-800, depending on the model) price point. The Optika6 line has features that are not found in similarly priced alternatives such as the Viper PST Gen 2, such as a higher zoom rnage (6x vs. 4 or 5x), locking turrets or the option for a dichroic reticle.

Despite the features and European manufacturing, the Optika6 line undercuts competitors like the Viper PST Gen2, Burris XTR II, Sightron SIII, and others, most of which are made in Japan or the Phillippines. I'm having a bit of a hard time comprehending how Meopta is able to price this new line so competitively. Surely there has to be a compromise somewhere?
I’d say it’s because meopta is one of the major oems that other companies pay to actually make the scopes but with their different label. IE Cabela’s charges 400 for a scope that they probably got from Meopta for 200. Meopta just hasn’t really ever pushed their own stuff very hard. They are finally cutting out the middle man from what I can tell and bringing a scope to you themselves.

I would also add that Meopta always made tactical scopes - just either with features we sorta wanted that were only sold in the euro market, or features pointed asshole first at the 1980s duck-hunter-turned-badass-sniper.

I’d say it’s because meopta is one of the major oems that other companies pay to actually make the scopes but with their different label. IE Cabela’s charges 400 for a scope that they probably got from Meopta for 200. Meopta just hasn’t really ever pushed their own stuff very hard. They are finally cutting out the middle man from what I can tell and bringing a scope to you themselves.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but an infusion of actual experience wouldn't hurt either.

PST 4-16x was discontinued a couple of years ago. When it was made, it was made in the Phillipines.

Current generation of PST scopes (Gen 2) is still made in the Philippines, albeit at a different factory. Gen 2 PST is a significant step forward from Gen 1.

Why you decided to compare a 4.5-27x Optika6 6 to a 4-16x discontinued PST is kinda weird. A more accurate comparison would be the current generation 5-25x50 PST Gen 2, which seems to be fairly common snails in the $750-$900 range.

I fully expect Optika6 to be an excellent scope. I had high hopes for it when I designed a few reticles for Optika6. If I did not have faith in the product, I would not be involved.

However, if you think you are helping Meopta in any way when you misrepresent the competition, you are sorely mistaken.

If you think you are helping yourself when you bullshit about a scope line that probably half of the regulars here are well familiar with, you are even more wrong.

ILya
My mistake....not 4-16, 3-15 I guess is the current model. Phillipines, China, either way...not Europe. My comparison to a scope of half the magnification was to show the inherent value of the Optika, not a direct comparison to something in the exact same mag. range.

Ilya, I have been following your blog for a few years and am a big fan of your reviews.

Since you have some experience working with Meopta on the reticles for the Optika6 line, I was wondering if you could provide some insight into how Meopta is able to release such a feature-packed scope at a very reasonable ($6-800, depending on the model) price point. The Optika6 line has features that are not found in similarly priced alternatives such as the Viper PST Gen 2, such as a higher zoom rnage (6x vs. 4 or 5x), locking turrets or the option for a dichroic reticle.

Despite the features and European manufacturing, the Optika6 line undercuts competitors like the Viper PST Gen2, Burris XTR II, Sightron SIII, and others, most of which are made in Japan or the Phillippines. I'm having a bit of a hard time comprehending how Meopta is able to price this new line so competitively. Surely there has to be a compromise somewhere?

I asked them that same question and, honestly, best I can guess is that they are willing to take a lower profit margin in order to get some market share. Given that Meopta is the actual manufacturer and they sell directly to retailers, there is really no middle man, so they can be very aggressive on pricing if they are so inclined.

Now, as much as I like Meopta, historically speaking, until I spend some time with the scope I can't say anything beyond having high expectations of it. Stay tuned, I'll have something more substantive to say in a week or so.

ILya

Don't assume it's has better build quality or quality control just because it's made in Europe, Europe like Asia is a continent with vastly different standards/cost of living and the cost of manufacture is totally different from one country to another, much like China vs Japan.

I have coworkers who had to be company reps at the Zodiac factory in Texas due to abysmal quality control on batches of aircraft seats being installed during a aircraft interior refit.
The "Made in USA" sticker didn't negate the minimum waged, minimum IQ workforce with 70% staff turn over.

My mistake....not 4-16, 3-15 I guess is the current model. Phillipines, China, either way...not Europe. My comparison to a scope of half the magnification was to show the inherent value of the Optika, not a direct comparison to something in the exact same mag. range.

I do not think you are helping yourself by equating magnification with value. If we follow down this path, you can start comparing 5-20x56 scopes with 1-6x24 models and claim that the higher magnification model offers more value simply because it is higher magnification. Why then did Meotpa both to make a bunch of models with different magnification ranges from 1-6x24 to 5-30x56. Ig it all about magnification, they could jsut make the 5-30x56 and be done with it, right?

If you compare something, try to make some sort of an apples to apples comparison and try to have experience with both scopes you are comparing. If you compare 3-15x44 to 4.5-27x50, some people will want the first one because the value wide FOV and easy of use on low power, while others will want the second one because to them high magnification is more important.

The current PST Gen 2 model you are comparing to is the 3-15x44 which is available in both FFP and SFP configurations. I have tested only the FFP one and still have it. I really like this scope. The Optika6 model that is configured most similarly to Gen 2 3-15x44 is the 2.5-15x44 which, unfortunately, is only available in SFP configuration, so I will not be able to do any sort of a reasonably comparison given that my PST Gen 2 is FFP. Comparing the two would be quite meaningful though if I had SFP version of the PST Gen 2. On the surface, it would seem like Optika6 has a broader magnification range, but since PST Gen 2 has wider FOV on 3x than Optika6 on 2.5x, I think that is a moot point.

Lastly, there is no magic to Euro optics. I've seen excellent stuff come out of a variety of companies form Europe, US, Japan, Phillipines, and most recently China. How it all shakes out remains to be seen. Competitive pressure makes everyone better. Blindly treating all Pacific Rim optics manufacturers as junk is plainly preposterous. The Nightforce NXS in your signature is a Japanese design. I assume you like that scope despite it not being from Europe.

My interest in Optika6 has nothing to do with the fact that they are in Europe or that they are US owned. I know Meopta can make excellent products and where exactly they make them is low on my priority list.

ILya

I do not think you are helping yourself by equating magnification with value. If we follow down this path, you can start comparing 5-20x56 scopes with 1-6x24 models and claim that the higher magnification model offers more value simply because it is higher magnification. Why then did Meotpa both to make a bunch of models with different magnification ranges from 1-6x24 to 5-30x56. Ig it all about magnification, they could jsut make the 5-30x56 and be done with it, right?

If you compare something, try to make some sort of an apples to apples comparison and try to have experience with both scopes you are comparing. If you compare 3-15x44 to 4.5-27x50, some people will want the first one because the value wide FOV and easy of use on low power, while others will want the second one because to them high magnification is more important.

The current PST Gen 2 model you are comparing to is the 3-15x44 which is available in both FFP and SFP configurations. I have tested only the FFP one and still have it. I really like this scope. The Optika6 model that is configured most similarly to Gen 2 3-15x44 is the 2.5-15x44 which, unfortunately, is only available in SFP configuration, so I will not be able to do any sort of a reasonably comparison given that my PST Gen 2 is FFP. Comparing the two would be quite meaningful though if I had SFP version of the PST Gen 2. On the surface, it would seem like Optika6 has a broader magnification range, but since PST Gen 2 has wider FOV on 3x than Optika6 on 2.5x, I think that is a moot point.

Lastly, there is no magic to Euro optics. I've seen excellent stuff come out of a variety of companies form Europe, US, Japan, Phillipines, and most recently China. How it all shakes out remains to be seen. Competitive pressure makes everyone better. Blindly treating all Pacific Rim optics manufacturers as junk is plainly preposterous. The Nightforce NXS in your signature is a Japanese design. I assume you like that scope despite it not being from Europe.

My interest in Optika6 has nothing to do with the fact that they are in Europe or that they are US owned. I know Meopta can make excellent products and where exactly they make them is low on my priority list.

ILya
I guess if someone is so inclined they can compare whatever two scopes they want and make their own decision. From my own experience and opinion (since that’s really all this forum is is opinions...) The Meopta, any line, is far superior than other “manufacturers” (I use the term loosely since most optics companies don’t actually make anything they are just marketing companies) Double the retail price of any given Meopta and it’s equal to or better than something else in that higher price range. Which is why the Optika made #2 on the Outdoor Life top ten new optics of the year from the link below and Vortex did not.

Regarding Nightforce, yes they make very nice stuff. However, I would absolutely put one of the Optika scopes at $600-$800 up against a $2,000 plus Nightforce NXS. That being said, the really expensive “boutique” optics brands are such a small percentage of all the optics sold in the world, that’s a niche market they can have.

I didn’t care about where it was made as long as it wasn’t China.

I have seen some of the Chinese stuff they make for military purposes and the latest consumer stuff - some of it is world class.

I just don’t want the profit from buying my rifle optic to become the magazine full of bullets some PLA douchebag is shooting at me while invading my country.

I guess if someone is so inclined they can compare whatever two scopes they want and make their own decision. From my own experience and opinion (since that’s really all this forum is is opinions...) The Meopta, any line, is far superior than other “manufacturers” (I use the term loosely since most optics companies don’t actually make anything they are just marketing companies) Double the retail price of any given Meopta and it’s equal to or better than something else in that higher price range. Which is why the Optika made #2 on the Outdoor Life top ten new optics of the year from the link below and Vortex did not.

Regarding Nightforce, yes they make very nice stuff. However, I would absolutely put one of the Optika scopes at $600-$800 up against a $2,000 plus Nightforce NXS. That being said, the really expensive “boutique” optics brands are such a small percentage of all the optics sold in the world, that’s a niche market they can have.

Not all opinions are created equal. To have value an opinion has to be backed by some combination of experience, expertise and common sense. I am going to make a guess that you have never seen any of the current production scopes that you compare Meopta to.

One observation I can make is that noone with any understanding of optics and riflescopes has ever looked at Outdoor Life for anything other than comic relief. Every once in a while they get something right, but statistically it is kinda like a coin toss. Everntually, all outcomes present themselves.

I guess your sales style is kinda like that of a snake oil salesman at gun shows who tells everyone that his scope is just like what the {insert special operations team of your choice} use except for half the price and hope that noone is going to call you out on unsubstantiated bullshit.

I would likely let it be, but my concern is that you doing a major disservice to Meopta by associating yourself with them. I fully expect Optika6 to punch above its weight class, but your blind statement that it will compete against anything twice the price is just too easy to check. I do not know how Optika6 stacks up yet, but I am exceedingly well familiar with MeoPro and MeoStar and I can tell you with reasonable confidence that your "2x" boast is pure and unadulterated BS. Now, you may have convinced yourself of it, but that does not make it any more true.

ILya

Any thoughts on whether to go for the 4.5 - 27x vs. the 5-30x? Zoom range is very close on both models, and exit pupil is the same. Seems like the biggest differences are 30mm tube vs 34mm, slightly more adjustment range on the 5-30 (84 vs 110 MOA), and 5 ounces of additional weight on the 5-30x.

@koshkin you have to tell us a little about the Mosin now...

It is the only like this in existence, to the best of my knowledge.

Some day, I will enter a local PRS match with this gun just for the heck of it. I suspect I will win since other competitors will not be able to stop laughing.

ILya

It is the only like this in existence, to the best of my knowledge.

Some day, I will enter a local PRS match with this gun just for the heck of it. I suspect I will win since other competitors will not be able to stop laughing.

ILya
You’re always welcome to come down for a club match; folks would be happy to have you. ?

As to laughing, we try not to do that until after the scores are tallied. Makes eating crow a lot less likely.

You’re always welcome to come down for a club match; folks would be happy to have you. ?

As to laughing, we try not to do that until after the scores are tallied. Makes eating crow a lot less likely.

I am a terrible shot. Providing comic relief is easily my best chance.

Besides, I just moved to Albuquerque, so San Diego is a bit of a drive. I happened to be in LA this week, but I go back home on Saturday and I will finish the work up on this scope there.

This Mosin stays here in SoCal (I still have a house here), but I have another McGower rebarreled Mosin action at home that I plan to build into a precision rifle just because masochism runs deep in my family.

ILya

Reactions: MarinePMI
I am a terrible shot. Providing comic relief is easily my best chance.

Besides, I just moved to Albuquerque, so San Diego is a bit of a drive. I happened to be in LA this week, but I go back home on Saturday and I will finish the work up on this scope there.

This Mosin stays here in SoCal (I still have a house here), but I have another McGower rebarreled Mosin action at home that I plan to build into a precision rifle just because masochism runs deep in my family.

ILya
Glad you got out of Cali, it’s been getting cray-cray for awhile now. Maybe I’ll bump into you the next time I’m out at Zia. (Have family and friends in Albuquerque).

Let the masochism flow, it does wonders for perspective. ?

Best regards,

Glad you got out of Cali, it’s been getting cray-cray for awhile now. Maybe I’ll bump into you the next time I’m out at Zia. (Have family and friends in Albuquerque).

Let the masochism flow, it does wonders for perspective. ?

Best regards,

Give me a holler if you make it out there. I'll buy you a beer.

My formative years were the collapse of Soviet Union in late 80s. When California politicians started sounding more left wing than the ones I recall from my childhood it was time to go.

ILya

Is the dichro version of the MRAD reticle shipping yet, or is that still down the road a ways?

Reactions: bluepythons
There are two version of that reticle. I think 3-18x50 and 4.5-27x50 have a slightly different version.

ILya

So the MRAD RD is the reticle you designed, and the MRAD 1 and MRAD 2 are very similar?
From the rubbish pictures on the website looks like the MRAD 2 has a giant centre dot and designed for the 1-6, where as the MRAD 1 has a horse shoe and is catered to a crossover hunting/target scope?

I am not sure. Probably.

The one I have is not dichro.

ILya

It looks like the 653601 (dichro mrad) sku has been removed from listings - eurooptics and b&h and amazon all no longer list it. It's still in google's cached results. Does anyone know if this was cancelled or just delayed or what?

Reached out to Meopta and quickly got a response that the Dichro MRAD is not currently being produced. RD Mrad is available instead.

Hmm. Standard RD is probably superior here but I was really curious to see how the Dichro thing worked.

Reactions: teller01
My 5-30 arrives next week so hopefully I'll be able to get out to the range and provide some initial thoughts.

In the meantime, anyone else gotten theirs yet? Initial thoughts from Ilya look very promising so far.

Just arrived today.

Initial impressions: solid build quality, heavy (over 2 lbs for the 5-30 x 56), very tactile clicks, illumination appears daylight bright at max setting. I like that it has pre-drilled holes for the included throw lever. Optically seems quite good based on my brief time with it so far. Definitely seems like it could be a game-changer at this price range...I would definitely take one of these over a Vortex PST2 5-25.

mIZzPTY.png

Oh boy. I’m so excited.
@Sub-MOA where would you rate the glass? I’m looking for something to replace Bushy DMRII Pro

Oh boy. I’m so excited.
@Sub-MOA where would you rate the glass? I’m looking for something to replace Bushy DMRII Pro

To my eyes the glass looks great, better than Vortex PST 2. I don't have a DMR II Pro so I can't comment on that. Maybe @koshkin can comment further on the optical quality as he has a much broader basis for comparison.

Considering the ~$800 street price, I can't think of any other scope that comes close as far as total package of features and optical quality.

Reactions: shiples1
Well ok, that’s really decent glass in the ETR. All good news so far.

Can't remember if anyone posted the MRAD diagrams. As stated by a few of you, they are a couple different style depending on which scope they are in. Here they are as well as a few others.

Attachments

• PTM1 MRAD RD 5-30 05-10-2019.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 170
  • MRAD 1 RD 3-18-4.5-27.PDF
    99.6 KB · Views: 133
  • MRAD 2 RD 1-6.PDF
    63.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 6,5CM dichro_sup 03-04-2019 (1).pdf
    125.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 223 RD.PDF
    132 KB · Views: 73
  • BDC dichro_sup 03-04-2019.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 308 RD - prosím udělat černé čáry až do kraje.pdf
    121.9 KB · Views: 68
  • KDot dichro_sup 03-04-2019.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 49
  • MRAD 1 RD 3-18-4.5-27.PDF
    99.6 KB · Views: 109
  • MRAD 2 RD 1-6.PDF
    63.2 KB · Views: 72
Continued.....

Attachments

• PTM1 MRAD RD 5-30 05-10-2019.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Reticle_ZPlus dichro_superior – kopie.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Anzac
You got another 2 months. I changed my order to the 50mm because those should be shipping this week.

Be sure to post a review once you get it. The 3-18x50 has a lot of competition in that size so will be interesting to see how it performs

Do you know which reticles are shipping?

ILya
Only know what I was told about what I have on order, which is basically all your reticles.
5-30 (MRAD1) and 3-18x50 (MRAD1) supposedly this week.
1-6 FFP, (MRAD2) SFP (.223) and 4.5-27 (MRAD1) supposedly 60 days.
I killed the 56mm 3-18 as I run NV on that gun anyway.

Only know what I was told about what I have on order, which is basically all your reticles.
5-30 (MRAD1) and 3-18x50 (MRAD1) supposedly this week.
1-6 FFP, (MRAD2) SFP (.223) and 4.5-27 (MRAD1) supposedly 60 days.
I killed the 56mm 3-18 as I run NV on that gun anyway.

Thanks.

I am going to ping them. For obvious reasons, I want to see my reticles "in the flesh", so to speak. Since I am messing with the 5-20x56 already, I am not sure I care about the 4.5-27x too much, but I really want to see the 3-18x50 and 1-6x24.

The MRAD1 in the 3-18x50 was designed for crossover use, so that it nicely visible on 3x for close range stuff.

ILya