• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Minox 5x25x56 LR

That's bad, maybe they need to change their grease? I hope you get it sorted out.

How are the controls on the scope?

Controls are good, no issues. Clicks on turrets are pretty much perfect in my opinion, as is everything else besides the QC. Nothing really binds or feels too easy to turn.

Reactions: Gil P.
So I recieved mine and was quite disappointed after taking it out for a bit longer today. There seems to be debris and oil on the inside lense of the scope. It’s in a Spuhr mount that I torqued down to 20inch/lbs as per instructions. Not sure how this wasn’t a QC manufacturer issue. Any thoughts?
How the heck did that make it through QC, yikes! So maybe they kept price down by skimping on QC, but that's worse than even cheap Chinese stuff, hopefully it is the exception and not the rule.

Reactions: Stoweit
Evening Guys
This is a first impression review of the Minox
Haven’t mounted it just unboxing
I really like the glass, turrets are exceptionally nice, parallax is great, power adjustment is nice with a good level of resistance to give it the feel of quality, reticle is awesome s and the weight feels great, it’s going on my 22-250.

I know there has been a case of bad experience already with this scope, but guess what? I’ve had to send my Tangent Theta back on a warranty issue, s&it can and does happen

Attachments

• 905AC309-A137-4753-8A5F-4E09A0F93953.jpeg
    905AC309-A137-4753-8A5F-4E09A0F93953.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 225
  • F6F9A283-A844-4A41-B862-C2C7AF012B7D.jpeg
    F6F9A283-A844-4A41-B862-C2C7AF012B7D.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 208
  • BBFA6633-FE61-4343-93AD-7060EDE2B36A.jpeg
    BBFA6633-FE61-4343-93AD-7060EDE2B36A.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 190
  • C8585B0C-83DB-4217-8CCD-3D90CED61A4D.jpeg
    C8585B0C-83DB-4217-8CCD-3D90CED61A4D.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1C9A0CA3-69F5-4BB9-AB9D-CD31F1887C06.jpeg
    1C9A0CA3-69F5-4BB9-AB9D-CD31F1887C06.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 206
  • B12A1B65-6176-4F4F-9013-2922F530B4DF.jpeg
    B12A1B65-6176-4F4F-9013-2922F530B4DF.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 2EAAEECE-6AD9-4C19-B0B4-E87FE0094A24.jpeg
    2EAAEECE-6AD9-4C19-B0B4-E87FE0094A24.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 41227E7C-8756-4FA1-9D41-849DC62500C5.jpeg
    41227E7C-8756-4FA1-9D41-849DC62500C5.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 12AF9D7B-B538-4AB6-B856-216A0361533D.jpeg
    12AF9D7B-B538-4AB6-B856-216A0361533D.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 239
Not so fast!!!
Lol
Seams to be some friction between going from the first rev into the second, my first Minox so not sure if that normal or not?

Not so fast!!!
Lol
Seams to be some friction between going from the first rev into the second, my first Minox so not sure if that normal or not?

Apparently that’s normal for the second rev. Although I’ve noticed inconsistent friction on the first rev now that I’ve played with the scope more. Not sure if I want a replacement or refund

I hear ya
I sent a question to GBT to see if it’s normal, this is my first Minox so I’m not sure

Controls are good, no issues. Clicks on turrets are pretty much perfect in my opinion, as is everything else besides the QC. Nothing really binds or feels too easy to turn.
Im
I hear ya
I sent a question to GBT to see if it’s normal, this is my first Minox so I’m not sure
It's normal, inconsistent tension throughout the entire rev is not normal.

Shit can happen with any scope brand it's on how they make it right.
This has the building blocks to be a giant win. Let's see how it plays out.
I'm old enough to have the power to resist temptation and wait it out tell more reviews come out.

Yes, turns out that’s the way it is meant to be
Nice optic for sure, and a free SPUHR makes it a sweet deal!!!

A little update. I live in Canada and our Minox dealer up here (GoBig) was very helpful in getting this issue sorted out. I sent an email shortly after noticing the issue and Tom started getting the issue sorted out over the long weekend. This was unnecessary but greatly appreciated and reflects that you’re still going to be completely taken care of if you have an issue with your scope in Canada. That said, this is apparently a very uncommon issue and after doing some research not something that should deter anyone from purchasing a Minox. I didn’t delete my previous positive comments because I realize that it’s entirely possible that I recieved the only top tier scope from Minox that has had this issue. This is still likely the best option in its price class, despite how frustrating it may have been to receive a lemon initially.

Last edited:
A little update. I live in Canada and our Minox dealer up here (GoBig) was very helpful in getting this issue sorted out. I sent an email shortly after noticing the issue and Tom started getting the issue sorted out over the long weekend. This was unnecessary but greatly appreciated and reflects that you’re still going to be completely taken care of if you have an issue with your scope in Canada. That said, this is apparently a very uncommon issue and after doing some research not something that should deter anyone from purchasing a Minox. I didn’t delete my previous positive comments because I realize that it’s entirely possible that I recieved the only top tier scope from Minox that has had this issue. This is still likely the best option in its price class, despite how frustrating it may have been to receive a lemon initially.

Good to hear that you're being taken care of.

Well....... Have any of them actually made it out into the field yet?

One of the competitors up here is running one on his Rimx he says its very comparable to his zp5. Ive looked through both and initial impressions is that it is the same glass. I have ordered one to try out for comp myself. It was a good price so i figured if i don't like it i can recoup most of my cost.

I've been speaking with Minox a bit regarding the 5-25x56 LR rifle scope and have some answers and information.

Hopefully Somone can do a review and compare to the old one.
I will likely be doing a review on this in a few months when they arrive in the U.S. This Minox, an XTR III and perhaps an LOW OEM'd ~$2k scope might make a good lineup though I haven't contacted any of the other makers about this yet. Minox is interested though.

I talked to Minox and they said that the technology is simpler and the glass has remained the same but what is going to make this new scope a killer in the scope market is that it is about 1000 euro cheaper than the zp 5-25 line
I asked Minox about the glass, coatings, optical design, and mechanicals. The glass in the LR is not the same as the as the ZP5 though the coatings are. The LR is also not the same optical design as the ZP5. Optically, the LR actually shares more design commonality with the ZE series though some of it's design is entirely new. The turrets on the LR are the same design as the ZP5 so that is where they are most similar.

They changed their warranty again.seems to be happening every 2 years. Original warranty was for workmanship and material defects for the original owner, then a few years back they allowed it to be transferable, now it seems to be limited to 10 years after which you pay labor costs. I wonder if the warranty is still transferable or not? If not that really kills resale if you buy an lr and don't like it
The warranty is for the original owner.
A side note on this is that Europeans really do not get the American forever and transferable warranty thing. What few EU makers do follow suit were browbeaten into it by their U.S. marketing people. Frankly, I think the warranty thing is a bit of a strange quirk in the rifle scope industry myself. People run over scopes with their 4 wheeler and expect the scope maker to replace them for free. Very strange.

If they offer a lower magnification version and street price is under 2000 usd then I'll be extremely interested in this new offering.

Provided they can offer a half decent warranty.
They do not have either a lower power model planned at this time or more reticles planned for this one. Neither of these things is off the table though, just not part of any current planned roll out. I expect they want to see how this scope does. It certainly looks like a water testing offering to me being sort of all alone in the product line.

What is the expected delivery date?
They were supposed to be here already and they are sitting in customs in Germany as I write this. Coronavirus has apparently held up the German customs people. You can imagine how happy they are with the current situation. Hopefully the scopes will be here in a month or so.

To the guys talking about the specs being the same: Have you not checked the field of view? Am I missing something?

ZP5 vs Long Range

Field of view min / max at 100 m (m)14.0 / 4.77.2 / 1.6
The Minox website is in flux at the moment. Lots of stuff is sort of disarranged or just not correct.

I've been speaking with Minox a bit regarding the 5-25x56 LR rifle scope and have some answers and information.

I will likely be doing a review on this in a few months when they arrive in the U.S. This Minox, an XTR III and perhaps an LOW OEM'd ~$2k scope might make a good lineup though I haven't contacted any of the other makers about this yet. Minox is interested though.

I asked Minox about the glass, coatings, optical design, and mechanicals. The glass in the LR is not the same as the as the ZP5 though the coatings are. The LR is also not the same optical design as the ZP5. Optically, the LR actually shares more design commonality with the ZE series though some of it's design is entirely new. The turrets on the LR are the same design as the ZP5 so that is where they are most similar.

A side note on this is that Europeans really do not get the American forever and transferable warranty thing. What few EU makers do follow suit were browbeaten into it by their U.S. marketing people. Frankly, I think the warranty thing is a bit of a strange quirk in the rifle scope industry myself. People run over scopes with their 4 wheeler and expect the scope maker to replace them for free. Very strange.

They do not have either a lower power model planned at this time or more reticles planned for this one. Neither of these things is off the table though, just not part of any current planned roll out. I expect they want to see how this scope does. It certainly looks like a water testing offering to me being sort of all alone in the product line.

They were supposed to be here already and they are sitting in customs in Germany as I write this. Coronavirus has apparently held up the German customs people. You can imagine how happy they are with the current situation. Hopefully the scopes will be here in a month or so.

The Minox website is in flux at the moment. Lots of stuff is sort of disarranged or just not correct.

I do think they are also water testing with this new product as they told me they will offer other reticles in the scope depending on its sales and how well it does. Hopefully they can add a msr type ret to the lineup.

thanks for clearing this up , big help

Definitely not the same glass. I have one. Colors look the same as ZP5. More CA then a ZP5. First impressions for me are between a razor and the ZP5 but to know forsure takes a bit of time and various conditions. I will report back in time.

Frankly, I think the warranty thing is a bit of a strange quirk in the rifle scope industry myself. People run over scopes with their 4 wheeler and expect the scope maker to replace them for free. Very strange.
You said it brother. Cant think of any other sporting goods product that is expected to have this kind of warranty.

Reactions: Dobermann
That warranty thing is only viable with china products that are sold with an enormous profit margin, where faulty units are just replaced.

Vortex AMG is made in USA, Vortex Razor is made in Japan, China has nothing to do with it.

That being said I do agree that the life time warranty is unheard of in other markets, but if nothing else at least you know the manufacturer will stand behind their products rather than pass you around a call centre.

I'd recommend the Delta Stryker for comparison.
No other reason than I've just bought one and the Minox LR and XTR3 are both scopes I'm very interested in buying in the future.

Curious into what Minox long term plan is.
Seems strange to release a product that directly competes with their own top tier product but at a much reduced cost.
Guessing they are testing the waters and depending on the reception of the LR may have multiple directions they will go.

Sig Tango 6 has been my personal fav sub 2K scope to date, so I’d love to see a side by side.
A sub 2K Minox really has my attention.

Last edited:
20201025_144949.jpg
Ive been comparing the Minox LR to a Razor and IOR for a little bit now. It holds its own and more. I have never used the ZP5 so cant speak to that. I will have a ZP5 this weekend for a quick comparison.

View attachment 7461251Ive been comparing the Minox LR to a Razor and IOR for a little bit now. It holds its own and more. I have never used the ZP5 so cant speak to that. I will have a ZP5 this weekend for a quick comparison.

Did you literally weld pieces of rebar to that chassis to add weight? That is hilarious. It is Cerakoted to match and everything.

Reactions: viking78
Did you literally weld pieces of rebar to that chassis to add weight? That is hilarious. It is Cerakoted to match and everything.
There is flat bar that i welded the rebar to. I then attach that to the mlok. I just use good quality paint as it gets beat up in the competitions. My gear is for use not for looks so ive never cerakoated anything yet.

BH is showing 2-4 weeks expected delivery, which matches similar expected delivery dates for the ZP5 from other vendors.

Reactions: stello1001
Eurooptic showing MR2S reticle which is looking a lot like my favorite FML-TR1 from March, with slightly reduced weight to 32.5 oz this could be a very interesting option for a crossover long range/hunting scope

View attachment 7487308
As a hunting ret i think it is really good. The center cross is nice and thick so when at 5x with illumination its spot on for closer. The rest of the ret is noticeably thinner then the ZP5 MR4. Ideal 15x +
Glass wise it is on par with the ZP5 but has more CA and the eyebox was a little funny. Resolution is amazing. I was having issues with the parallax moving under recoil if you had adjusted it prior to the shot. So it has been sent back. I havent said much about it as maybe there is something that is causing the CA as well and fixed it will be "perfect".

As a hunting ret i think it is really good. The center cross is nice and thick so when at 5x with illumination its spot on for closer. The rest of the ret is noticeably thinner then the ZP5 MR4. Ideal 15x +
Glass wise it is on par with the ZP5 but has more CA and the eyebox was a little funny. Resolution is amazing. I was having issues with the parallax moving under recoil if you had adjusted it prior to the shot. So it has been sent back. I havent said much about it as maybe there is something that is causing the CA as well and fixed it will be "perfect".
That sounds exactly like the FML-TR1... interesting. The scope is over $1k cheaper than the ZP5. Layout is the same so I’m thinking They used same tube, same erector, but glass specs are not ZP5 hence the CA. I hope your parallax situation was a QC issue, in appearance the turrets look ZP5 but internals May be different.

That sounds exactly like the FML-TR1... interesting. The scope is over $1k cheaper than the ZP5. Layout is the same so I’m thinking They used same tube, same erector, but glass specs are not ZP5 hence the CA. I hope your parallax situation was a QC issue, in appearance the turrets look ZP5 but internals May be different.
I feel that the turrets are nicer then the ZP5. The second turn thing is still there but overall they turn easier and have very very clean clicks. Resolution is on par or better then the ZP5 depth of view is also very simular.
I hope so too. There was also a couple of extra dots on the ret... but ive seen that on ZP5 too. Im guessing the CA is just how it is. Worse then Razor... oopps now I'm splitting hairs.. numbers =ZP5 10/10 razor 9/10 Lr 7/10 PST gen2 5/10 for CA. Note ive never seen a ZCO or TT so ya.

^^^ Sounds like they are using the ZP5 turrets which is nice, very nice in fact. My ZP5 had "decent" turrets (2016 version) but after buying a new one last year and the turrets being significantly better (certainly on par with my Kahles scopes I've had) I decided to send my "old" ZP5 back to Germany to get a turret "upgrade" through their warranty, it took 2 months in the middle of COVID to get it back to me, but I'm so glad I sent it in, the new turrets on my old ZP5 are fantastic - very distinct clicks with little to no play between .1 mils. In fact, here is a video I did between the two ZP5's before I had the old one upgraded which I think gives a good comparison. Anyone with the "older" ZP5 turrets where you have a lot of play and the clicks aren't very distinct, figure out a time of year where you can be without the scope for a couple months and send it in for warranty service.

Reactions: Gleedus
Any confirmation of the warranty offered on the LR?
Seems like it changed recently when I was looking at ZP5. Ambiguous sort of. The fine print saying something about you just call for ZP5 line.

Any confirmation of the warranty offered on the LR?
Seems like it changed recently when I was looking at ZP5. Ambiguous sort of. The fine print saying something about you just call for ZP5 line.
Minox website says 10 years once registered
  • Comfort Service – 10-year warranty (after registration)

Sounds like CRPS is experiencing this "Comfort" service right now ;)

• Haha
Did you notice the reticle shown on BH website. I imagine a typo.
View attachment 7487360
I did notice that which is why I've held off on preordering from BH. Marc at Spartan Precision is working on getting me a quote.

I spoke with Blaser/Minox today and they don't have any information yet, but are hopeful that these come in with the December shipment from Minox.

I did notice that which is why I've held off on preordering from BH. Marc at Spartan Precision is working on getting me a quote.

I spoke with Blaser/Minox today and they don't have any information yet, but are hopeful that these come in with the December shipment from Minox.
I spoke to BH. It’s a stock photo and he verified MR2S is the reticle. Also if you call and ask for “best price” they will take $50. If you use their CC they don’t charge tax.

I have been told that ZP5's and LR's are on there way and will be here in December.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I called our Australian distributor of Minox Optic's at CR Kennedy Photography supplies and was informed that the "new" LR model is the outgoing ZP5 re-marketed/rebadged.
The new generation of ZP has apparently had significant upgrades in glass and some mechanical tweaks which gave it a very slight edge in low end FOV.
I can't be certain that this information is 100% correct as I have had no experiecne with the older model ZP5 or dealings with the self appointed experts at C.R Kennedy, but I will endeavour to have it in writing from them by mid next week.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
I called our Australian distributor of Minox Optic's at CR Kennedy Photography supplies and was informed that the new LR model is in fact the same ZP5 re-marketed.
The new generation of ZP has had significant upgrades in glass and some mechanical tweaks which gave it a very slight edge in low end FOV.
I can't be certain that this information is 100% correct as I have had no experiecne with the older model ZP5, but I will endeavour to have it in writing from them by mid next week.

Cheers
Dan
I have completely contradictory info from Minox. Here’s what they said,

“The main differences between the ZP5 and the LR are the materials of strain parts inside the rifle scope. For example the ZP5 is resistant for downthrows of 10 on to the grass field and 10 Meter Water resistant. The optic system is made for high precision long distance shots under tough conditions.
When you think about the price difference than is this what makes the higher price level.
The optic system of both rifle scopes allows you precision shoots over 1000 meter.
We did no restrictions by constructing the optic systems and choosing the lenses.
The LR is our entry rifle scope in long range shooting, and the ZP5 is the pro series. So a complete other series.”

Reactions: Dobermann
I have completely contradictory info from Minox. Here’s what they said,

“The main differences between the ZP5 and the LR are the materials of strain parts inside the rifle scope. For example the ZP5 is resistant for downthrows of 10 on to the grass field and 10 Meter Water resistant. The optic system is made for high precision long distance shots under tough conditions.
When you think about the price difference than is this what makes the higher price level.
The optic system of both rifle scopes allows you precision shoots over 1000 meter.
We did no restrictions by constructing the optic systems and choosing the lenses.
The LR is our entry rifle scope in long range shooting, and the ZP5 is the pro series. So a complete other series.”

From what I can see your statement doesn't really contradict all that much. The info I received was that the mechanical system and glass specification was improved over the older model. I would certainly appreciate someone with solid experience compare the outgoing ZP5 2019 model against the 2020 LR model to see if the information was true.

The information I received made sense form a continuous improvement standpoint.
The new ZP5 model may have had improvements to the mechanical wear components of the optic, I'm sure after hundred/thousands of examples sold and used in the field some wear and weak elements would have shown up. It would only make sense to keep up with the market improvements for reliability and descerning criterias be made.

I'm sure the Gen II Razor, High Power series S&B's, Tangent Theta, Kahles Gen II etc have all had improvements and tweaks to the mechanical designs over the years to address deficiencies..

If the new LR model is indeed a re-badged gen I ZP5 - It's a bloody bargain at $2600 AUD.

I hope they give everyone time to “blind taste” the wine and then reveal the truth. It’s always fun and interesting to see the variation in reviews/opinions. 🍻

From what I can see your statement doesn't really contradict all that much. The info I received was that the mechanical system and glass specification was improved over the older model. I would certainly appreciate someone with solid experience compare the outgoing ZP5 2019 model against the 2020 LR model to see if the information was true.

The information I received made sense form a continuous improvement standpoint.
The new ZP5 model may have had improvements to the mechanical wear components of the optic, I'm sure after hundred/thousands of examples sold and used in the field some wear and weak elements would have shown up. It would only make sense to keep up with the market improvements for reliability and descerning criterias be made.

I'm sure the Gen II Razor, High Power series S&B's, Tangent Theta, Kahles Gen II etc have all had improvements and tweaks to the mechanical designs over the years to address deficiencies..

If the new LR model is indeed a re-badged gen I ZP5 - It's a bloody bargain at $2600 AUD.
I have used both the LR and the ZP5. My LR has gone back for warranty due to the parallax sticking and then jumping under recoil. I havent said much about the LR yet as I want to have it back before I draw to many conclusions.
Optically they are not the same. Both are equal on resolution and but the LR has a different eyebox being more picky then the ZP5. The LR also has a fair bit of CA were the ZP5 has basically none. Field of view is also very slightly bigger on the ZP5 but not enough to talk about. They are very simular both are better then a Razor but at this point I would say that the LR is NOT as good as a ZP5. I will update once my LR is back and I get more time on it again.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
The ZP5 series is not “outgoing” it is alive and well and still their top series. The LR scope is over $1000 cheaper and not designed to replace the ZP5 but to supplement it with a lower priced alternative

Reactions: Tac Beard
I have an order in for one of these with Spartan Precision. No tax and a killer price. Highly recommend you talk to Marc if you’re thinking about buying...

Now I wait.