• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Minox 5x25x56 LR

I have an order in for one of these with Spartan Precision. No tax and a killer price. Highly recommend you talk to Marc if you’re thinking about buying...

Now I wait.

Got contact info?
I went to their site and don’t see any Minox, only ZCO

Got contact info?
I went to their site and don’t see any Minox, only ZCO

https://estore.spartan-arms.com/

When I was searching for vendors I called Blaser/Minox USA, they advised to have a dealer place a special order with them because as of two weeks ago it was so new that no dealer had officially ordered the optic from minox USA. Spartan is a minox dealer and I spoke to Marc about placing a special order for the optic, then I was directed to a page on the site to pay.

It was a super easy process. If you’re interested, use the email contact form and put your phone number in. He’ll reach out and likely set up the special order with minox then populate the page with a unit available for your payment.

Last edited:
Any more opinions on the glass and mechanics? Im very close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I own a ZP5 and I’m very happy with it and if this optic is anywhere close to it I’m getting it.

So I got my new LR in today. Rather than trade I opted to wait for the second batch of optics to be released. This optic is flawless optically and in terms of quality control. In fact, the turrets feel better than the first scope I received while the finish on and general build quality of the scope is obviously very high, especially considering the price point. I was set on selling it privately after I recieved it and buying an NX8 or Mark 5 but now I’m not so sure. I think this is a better optic than both of those. They seem to have fixed any issues in this batch that arose during the first “beta” batch of scopes. I said I’d give you guys an update once I got a scope from the second batch, this seems to be a winner and Minox learned their lesson from the first. Time will tell though, I’ll keep you posted on tracking etc. if I decide to keep it.

Last edited:
So I got my new LR in today. Rather than trade I opted to wait for the second batch of optics to be released. This optic is flawless optically and in terms of quality control. In fact, the turrets feel better than the first scope I received while the finish on and general build quality of the scope is obviously very high, especially considering the price point. I was set on selling it privately after I recieved it and buying an NX8 or Mark 5 but now I’m not so sure. I think this is a better optic than both of those. They seem to have fixed any issues in this batch that arose during the first “beta” batch of scopes. I said I’d give you guys an update once I got a scope from the second batch, this seems to be a winner and Minox learned their lesson from the first. Time will tell though, I’ll keep you posted on tracking etc. if I decide to keep it.
Thank you for following up.

How bad is the ca compared to other scopes is it similar to the k624i
Couldn’t tell you. Haven’t played around with a 624i, though I would assume this scope would compare favourably based on the design similarities to the ZP5 and fact that the glass used is the same.

My LR was not nearly as good as the ZP5 in the CA department. Better resolution but close enough it could just be sample variation. I sent the LR back as the parralax would stick. Maybe that was why it had CA issues? I dont know how they work but hopefully the CA gets fixed too.

Some photos for those that haven't seen.

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_133544.jpg
    IMG_20210209_133544.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20210209_133459.jpg
    IMG_20210209_133459.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20210209_133617.jpg
    IMG_20210209_133617.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20210209_133646.jpg
    IMG_20210209_133646.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210209_133712.jpg
    IMG_20210209_133712.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20210209_134535.jpg
    IMG_20210209_134535.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 130
Can anyone who has one perhaps take through the scope pics at the range just so some of us can get a better idea of the reticle and Ca if anyone has free time at the range.

Attachments

• 1570E2A9-6FAF-48BC-BBA3-98416741C561.jpeg
    1570E2A9-6FAF-48BC-BBA3-98416741C561.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: khuber84
does someone has further comments about this scope,it seems such an incredible deal at this price ,i don't know why it's not more popular?really concerned about it's ruggedness and reliability?

does someone has further comments about this scope,it seems such an incredible deal at this price ,i don't know why it's not more popular?really concerned about it's ruggedness and reliability?
They are new to the market. So not many out yet. Resolution on the one I had was on par with the ZP5. Mine had more CA then a Razor. BUT mine has also gone back because of a sticking parallax. Is the CA related? I dont know.

The ret is very thin. The christmas tree can be difficult to see at less then 15x mag on dark back ground. The center is thicker then average and illuminated. You can easily aim at 5x mag with the center. I would rate the reticle as heading for the top of my hunting ret list.

The turrets are very nice. Parallax is as forgiving as the ZP5 in my case.

In canada the minox LR is 2700 vs a Razor at 3000. For the price its not a question which I'd get. Dont get me wrong the Razor is a solid optic with many good characteristics. If dusk/ dark performance is very important I would see the Razor as having the edge. The LR was slightly worse then the ZP5 at dusk. All are were very very good.

Reactions: Glassaholic
@CRPS Shooter is correct about not many being out in the wild. With COVID Blaser Group who imports the scopes from Minox Germany had been waiting on a shipment which they got last week or the week before for distribution to dealers. I would say the ones that I saw come through had better CA than the Razor and no sticking parallax issue that @CRPS Shooter noticed.

Reticle wise at low magnification its thin but common for FFP scopes so depending on your eyes and how you intend to use the reticle a low resolution it may be an issue until you dial up the magnification. I like the fact that I can glass with the scope at low magnification and be able to acquire and take a shot using the center.

Turrets are some of the best around, very tactile and audible if that's what you like.

With what your paying for the scope here with hide pricing from me its a crazy good deal for how much performance / value that is being delivered. Vortex is good but I feel this scope is a step above.

I received my LR last week from ^ Spartan Precision. I haven’t had a chance to get out with it yet, but overall I am extremely pleased with the scope. Glass is excellent, reticle is very familiar and thin to be useable at distance, turrets are likely pulled from the same bin as the flagship ZP5, illumination stands out at dusk and dark areas, and it has the same form and feel as the ZP5. My first impressions are that it’s essentially a ZP5 jr due to the glass. I rate it above the razor and obviously below top tier optics. I can’t justify a ZP5 on everything I have and this will fill the void for me when I don’t need or want to spend $3000 on an optic, and don’t want to plop a razor on a gun. The razor has made a name for itself but I see this new LR as a better alternative, especially for someone who is already used to the ZP5...

So far just playing with it at home I am 100% satisfied. I’m excited to get out with it this week.

@CRPS Shooter is correct about not many being out in the wild. With COVID Blaser Group who imports the scopes from Minox Germany had been waiting on a shipment which they got last week or the week before for distribution to dealers. I would say the ones that I saw come through had better CA than the Razor and no sticking parallax issue that @CRPS Shooter noticed.

Reticle wise at low magnification its thin but common for FFP scopes so depending on your eyes and how you intend to use the reticle a low resolution it may be an issue until you dial up the magnification. I like the fact that I can glass with the scope at low magnification and be able to acquire and take a shot using the center.

Turrets are some of the best around, very tactile and audible if that's what you like.

With what your paying for the scope here with hide pricing from me its a crazy good deal for how much performance / value that is being delivered. Vortex is good but I feel this scope is a step above.
Its not the first scope or manufacture I've had to send back for warranty. I have no worries that they will make it right. I'm hoping that the issues are related and it will have no CA when its back.
I'd have to agree the turrets... wow! I was not sure about 15 mil per rev on a turret till I got a minox!
I do wish the ret was more like the ZP5 for comps but for hunting the LR wins hands down.

thank you for all your very informative experience,it seems to be a great option for the 300 prc hunting rifle i'm currently waiting for!

thank you for all your very informative experience,it seems to be a great option for the 300 prc hunting rifle i'm currently waiting for!
If you’re interested in the optic then you should consider speaking with Marc at Spartan Precision. Minox’s stuff is very delayed right now. Whatever’s left of what just arrived in the USA, once it’s gone you’ll be in for a long wait...

So has the ca been fixed with the new scopes that have come in ?
In general CA is not been a problem. I know of a couple in the wild.
Mine had more CA then I would have liked. On par to slightly worse then a Razor. Depended on weather condition/ lighting. But mine also had a sticking parallax so maybe a related issue. TT had some like that too I'm not worried they will fix it.
Being this is a new model its not surprising if they will have the odd glitch getting things perfect. I just happen to be the guy that got one.

I should also say in my mind the Razors are not that great optically. Kinda soso. If your coming from a mid range optic you will be shocked how good these are.

O
In general CA is not been a problem. I know of a couple in the wild.
Mine had more CA then I would have liked. On par to slightly worse then a Razor. Depended on weather condition/ lighting. But mine also had a sticking parallax so maybe a related issue. TT had some like that too I'm not worried they will fix it.
Being this is a new model its not surprising if they will have the odd glitch getting things perfect. I just happen to be the guy that got one.

I should also say in my mind the Razors are not that great optically. Kinda soso. If your coming from a mid range optic you will be shocked how good these are.
oo ok I understand I’m selling a pm2 5-25 and was just wandering if I should get a used zp5 mr4 for or just pick up a new lr instead for less. Somone said that the zp5 has a better eye box, less ca and a nicer ret so I am just wandering if that is all true because it could just be their opinion

O

oo ok I understand I’m selling a pm2 5-25 and was just wandering if I should get a used zp5 mr4 for or just pick up a new lr instead for less. Somone said that the zp5 has a better eye box, less ca and a nicer ret so I am just wandering if that is all true because it could just be their opinion
That was me...

Ret is personal so dont listen to me lol. My opinion the lr is a better ret for hunting/ low mag use.
Zp5 would be my choice for comps.

Eye box I found the ZP5 better. I cant say the eyebox was bad but i noticed it. I also felt that it hindered low light performance. I'll try and discribe.

With most eyebox either you see or its black right. The LR until black is a huge eyebox. But it has a in-between were the picture gets a gray cast to it. From perfect to gray still can see is smaller then the zp5 or razor. Until black is bigger. Remember I'm dealing with a sample size of one so it could be this is also a related to the other issues. I dont know. I am picky and notice small things. I had another guy looking through the LR who owns a ZP5 and he didnt notice the eyebox. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Resolution was better with the LR
Contrast same.

It would be best if some others who have run the LR could add their 2c

I still havent had the opportunity to use a SB so cant compare.

O
That was me...

Ret is personal so dont listen to me lol. My opinion the lr is a better ret for hunting/ low mag use.
Zp5 would be my choice for comps.

Eye box I found the ZP5 better. I cant say the eyebox was bad but i noticed it. I also felt that it hindered low light performance. I'll try and discribe.

With most eyebox either you see or its black right. The LR until black is a huge eyebox. But it has a in-between were the picture gets a gray cast to it. From perfect to gray still can see is smaller then the zp5 or razor. Until black is bigger. Remember I'm dealing with a sample size of one so it could be this is also a related to the other issues. I dont know. I am picky and notice small things. I had another guy looking through the LR who owns a ZP5 and he didnt notice the eyebox. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Resolution was better with the LR
Contrast same.

It would be best if some others who have run the LR could add their 2c

I still havent had the opportunity to use a SB so cant compare.
You explained it perfectly when you say the lr has better resolution does that mean the ability to refine detail ? I am going to be putting the scope on a very light setup for hunting mainly and I’m going to have a heavy barrel for a phew comps that I’ll attend so I might be leaning more towards the lr if it has a better ret for hunting purposes. With regards to the eyebox with my Schmidt I have to have my eye exactly in the middle to be able to get the most detail out of the scope and if I move my eye a bit I sort of loses a bit of detail if my eye isn’t centered especially on 25x does the lr and zp5 experience sort of the same thing.

O

You explained it perfectly when you say the lr has better resolution does that mean the ability to refine detail ? I am going to be putting the scope on a very light setup for hunting mainly and I’m going to have a heavy barrel for a phew comps that I’ll attend so I might be leaning more towards the lr if it has a better ret for hunting purposes. With regards to the eyebox with my Schmidt I have to have my eye exactly in the middle to be able to get the most detail out of the scope and if I move my eye a bit I sort of loses a bit of detail if my eye isn’t centered especially on 25x does the lr and zp5 experience sort of the same thing.
Yes you can read a newspaper further away. But understand we are splitting the split hairs here lol! Basically the LR is NOT worse 😉. You will NEVER see the difference in the field.

In regards to contrast both minox are the same and resolve colors equally well. The only scope that is better that I've used is the IOR recon. (Please dont start a IOR war). I'm more of a varmint hunter then big game guy. Contrast is a big thing when looking for a little brown critter in the shade of grass on a dirt bank. The Minox will do this very well. The perfect balance of pop and real life colors. The IOR is more pop but colors are very slightly more warm and not as real. For me its a close call but the better resolution of the Minox allows you to see more details even with the slightly less pop.

On the ret with the center cross in the LR I feel perfectly comfortable at 5x hunting. Especially with the Illumination on. You basically have a red dot. When doing a long range shot I typically go up to 15x then the whole ret is usable. This ret is the best I have used to date in a 5-25 optic for hunting. But this is my opinion 😉
For comps the only reason I dont like it is I prefer a slightly thicker ret and completely uniform. The center cross is not uniform with the rest. Its not really a problem just a preference.
The MR4 rates high with me for comps but not quite as high for low mag hunting. Just for hunting I'd want something 2-12 3-15 ideally but for a cross over...

For eyebox what you describe is what I noticed with the LR. Centered is perfect start loosing clarity as you get off center. But I really want to get some time behind another LR before I say thats how they all are. The ZP5 the eyebox was good. As I said earlier not everyone thinks of it and I'm picky.

You sort of had me make up my mind in the beginning but towards the end you have me deciding again. The lr you have was it one of the first scopes to hit the market ? And can anyone else comment about the eyebox and glass of the lr

You sort of had me make up my mind in the beginning but towards the end you have me deciding again. The lr you have was it one of the first scopes to hit the market ? And can anyone else comment about the eyebox and glass of the lr
Lol! My bad! Buy it!! 🤣

Yes one of very first. First shipment to canada. First 10? I think.

Yes. Please get a second opinion on the eyebox maybe 2 as I'm just one sample. There is another LR close to me. He says he doesnt see it but I havent had a chance to use his LR. He also has a ZP5 and says he doesnt see a difference in glass either.

I
Lol! My bad! Buy it!! 🤣

Yes one of very first. First shipment to canada. First 10? I think.

Yes. Please get a second opinion on the eyebox maybe 2 as I'm just one sample. There is another LR close to me. He says he doesnt see it but I havent had a chance to use his LR. He also has a ZP5 and says he doesnt see a difference in glass either.
Im just going to pull the trigger on one can’t be as bad as a k525i that I used to own.

• Haha
Reactions: Gleedus
The Minox 5-25x56 LR and ZP5 5-25x56 THLR scopes have arrived for review. I have laid out the dimensions on the image above. You can see from the dimensions as well as the images slight differences both in styling and layout of the optical design.

2021 2 21 minox models comparison 1080.jpg

Minox 5-25x56 LR and ZP5 5-25x56 THLR scopes side by side comparing their dimensions and styling.

a side by side torture test would be amazing..
i hope the long range is not as expensive because less rugged /reliable?

A small update from my perspective:

I had the scope out today for the first time during daylight hours. The image quality blew me away. I’m not aware of any other optic in the sub ~$2000 range with glass this good. I haven’t yet used or looked through TT or ZCO so from my experience the only glass that is optically better, in my opinion, is the ZP5. Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, Trijicon, Minox, or Vortex doesn’t approach this clarity. CA always gets a lot of attention. It hasn’t really been something bothersome to me, but I can and do see it in certain scopes. With the LR CA was nearly nonexistent. This might be the perfect scope if you’re looking for a mid tier optic with EXCELLENT image quality.

Tracking appears acceptable from today’s use, though I didn’t put it through any hard use. Parallax is typical Minox style where 0-500/600 is the majority of the rotation, then anything farther out has a small degree of adjustment. Illumination is typical Minox style also with it being immensely helpful in shadows and dusk/darkness, but definitely not useable in daylight. Eyebox is acceptable and didn’t cause undue strain. Turret appearance, sound, and tactility are seemingly identical to new ZP5 turrets. The reticle is very very close to the MR4 and it feels very familiar to my eyes/brain.

I mentioned before that I think this is essentially a ZP5 jr. I still feel that way. If all continues well, I’ll likely buy another of these. If you’re looking for a sub $2000 solid scope with years of history then the razor is a great choice and maybe the best choice. However based on my observations, with time the LR may just be the scope that unseats the razor...

Reactions: jarredsc

I had the scope out today for the first time during daylight hours. The image quality blew me away. I’m not aware of any other optic in the sub ~$2000 range with glass this good. I haven’t yet used or looked through TT or ZCO so from my experience the only glass that is optically better, in my opinion, is the ZP5. Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, Trijicon, Minox, or Vortex doesn’t approach this clarity. CA always gets a lot of attention. It hasn’t really been something bothersome to me, but I can and do see it in certain scopes. With the LR CA was nearly nonexistent. This might be the perfect scope if you’re looking for a mid tier optic with EXCELLENT image quality.

Tracking appears acceptable from today’s use, though I didn’t put it through any hard use. Parallax is typical Minox style where 0-500/600 is the majority of the rotation, then anything farther out has a small degree of adjustment. Illumination is typical Minox style also with it being immensely helpful in shadows and dusk/darkness, but definitely not useable in daylight. Eyebox is acceptable and didn’t cause undue strain. Turret appearance, sound, and tactility are seemingly identical to new ZP5 turrets. The reticle is very very close to the MR4 and it feels very familiar to my eyes/brain.

I mentioned before that I think this is essentially a ZP5 jr. I still feel that way. If all continues well, I’ll likely buy another of these. If you’re looking for a sub $2000 solid scope with years of history then the razor is a great choice and maybe the best choice. However based on my observations, with time the LR may just be the scope that unseats the razor...
Glad to here there is little CA!
Did you set the illumination to the bright range or was it on low. They have two illumination bands.

Glad to here there is little CA!
Did you set the illumination to the bright range or was it on low. They have two illumination bands.
Me too. Your report on the CA had me worried a bit.
I had the knob set all the way at 11. Since you brought up the knob, I’ll note that Minox is disappointing in the illumination detents. Other manufacturers have good positive clicks, whereas Minox is mushy. The feel between on and off positions could be described as indistinguishable mush.

Does that one have 28 mils in elevation?

Me too. Your report on the CA had me worried a bit.
I had the knob set all the way at 11. Since you brought up the knob, I’ll note that Minox is disappointing in the illumination detents. Other manufacturers have good positive clicks, whereas Minox is mushy. The feel between on and off positions could be described as indistinguishable mush.
Mine was daytime bright... something tells me there is a high low switch in the battery compartment. I could be wrong that might be another scope i have in mind.

Mine had 33 total. 28 usable with the double turn turrets.
Thank you for info. Ran across this and seems like a great scope for the money. Never had or been behind a minox but $2000 seems like a great deal from the glass i hear about

Does that one have 28 mils in elevation?
I counted about 28.5 mil.

Mine was daytime bright... something tells me there is a high low switch in the battery compartment. I could be wrong that might be another scope i have in mind.
huh. I’m not aware of that. Might have to check later or read the manual. Today was damn bright though with snow reflectance and a clear day. Going back to CA, I had a perfect scenario to evaluate CA and I could barely see anything. In fact I could only identify CA in one instance.

Reactions: Gleedus
Does the lr have a zero stop? It never said on website that i could find
Yes. Its the same turret as the ZP5. It comes pretty tight from factory but spin it a couple hundred times and they are one of the nicest turrets I've used.
They have a second turn indicator that is a little stiff but a nonissue as generally with centerfire you dont get into the second rev.

Yes. Its the same turret as the ZP5. It comes pretty tight from factory but spin it a couple hundred times and they are one of the nicest turrets I've used.
They have a second turn indicator that is a little stiff but a nonissue as generally with centerfire you dont get into the second rev.
Awesome thank you for info prolly worth looking into this scope. What vendor did you go through?