• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Minox 5x25x56 LR

Danrobberg

Lance Criminal
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2017
Looks like Minox is updating their Zp5 line. Scope looks pretty similar with a few changes and a new reticle. I hope they solved any issues with their turrets that some people had. Looking forward to more info

All I can find. LR reticle can be seen there.

In the technical specs it is listed separate from the ZP line. Some funny looking numbers in the FOV column (edit: ZP5 numbers seem high for FOV?) I'd like to know more about it.

Last edited:

All I can find. LR reticle can be seen there.

In the technical specs it is listed separate from the ZP line. Some funny looking numbers in the FOV column (edit: ZP5 numbers seem high for FOV?) I'd like to know more about it.
I noticed exit pupil specs were different from ZP5, which is weird. That's just objective lens diameter divided by mag power so if they're both 5-25x56, they SHOULD be the same.

I noticed exit pupil specs were different from ZP5, which is weird. That's just objective lens diameter divided by mag power so if they're both 5-25x56, they SHOULD be the same.

This is only partially true. Maximum theoretical exit pupil is calculated that way. Some optical designs use field stops to control light, obscure "tunneling" or vignetting, or otherwise make the experience more user-friendly.

Measured exit pupil will only happen through the actual scope with all of the optical design and mechanical parts in play.

I wonder what simpler technology means?

The only external difference I can spot is that the new eyepiece is less complex - smaller zoom ring, different diopter (maybe non-locking?). They could have also simplified the turrets.

The grooves on the magnification ring are also a bit more aggresive/distinct compared to the old ZP5. $1999 does sound very interesting for the optical quality you get.

I talked to Minox and they said that the technology is simpler and the glass has remained the same but what is going to make this new scope a killer in the scope market is that it is about 1000 euro cheaper than the zp 5-25 line
Maybe they reduced the cost of the ZP5-LR by using a cheaper, less accurate 3-piece erector system instead of the more precise, but more costly 5-piece erector design? Most tier 1 scopes like S&B PM2, Tangent Theta, Minox ZP5(Non LR), Premier, ZCO, etc have the 5-piece erector design for more accurate and reliable tracking. Lots of China made 3-piece erector scopes have caught up in terms of tracking precision by improving manufacturing tolerances and design.

The 3-piece erector technology is simpler, but prefers a slightly longer tube and tighter manufacturing tolerances in order to match the precision of the 5-piece erector based scopes. If so, that could explain the 1000 euro cheaper price of the ZP5-LR.

I am speculating here. Be nice to hear from someone with more intricate knowledge on the exact differences between the previous ZP5 lines versus the ZP5-LR line.

hopefully we can get more info on it but for 100 dollars more than the vortex razor I think this new Minox is going to be a great deal it will definitely take Some attention away from the razors.

Razor Gen2 is proven. Will the new Minox LR be better than a Rzr Gen2 ?, well the jury still out. IMHO nothing touches the Rzr for the money. Hopefully, this new cheaper Minox will but wouldn’t hold my breath.

IMHO the new Minox reticle is a step backwards compared to the MR4. I don’t personally like that illuminated cross in the middle

I really like my ZP5-MR4 and hope this LR is just as good but at this lower price and with the new reticle doubt it, hope I’m wrong

Last edited:
They also said that they will be adding more reticles for the lr depending on the sales of the new model.

If they offer a lower magnification version and street price is under 2000 usd then I'll be extremely interested in this new offering.

Provided they can offer a half decent warranty.

Apparently this is made in Germany and has the same optical system as the ZP5....they must be cutting costs somewhere but the optics look identical. If this is basically the same scope as the ZP5 then it might be the best option in this price range.

so from what we can see is

-no locking diopter
-new reticle ( anyone have subtension details ? )
- same optical system as ZP
-cheaper mechanical ?
-still made in germany

Maybe it does not have the same waterproofing either. The ZP5 is sealed to 75 feet.

Maybe they reduced the cost of the ZP5-LR by using a cheaper, less accurate 3-piece erector system instead of the more precise, but more costly 5-piece erector design? Most tier 1 scopes like S&B PM2, Tangent Theta, Minox ZP5(Non LR), Premier, ZCO, etc have the 5-piece erector design for more accurate and reliable tracking. Lots of China made 3-piece erector scopes have caught up in terms of tracking precision by improving manufacturing tolerances and design.

The 3-piece erector technology is simpler, but prefers a slightly longer tube and tighter manufacturing tolerances in order to match the precision of the 5-piece erector based scopes. If so, that could explain the 1000 euro cheaper price of the ZP5-LR.

I am speculating here. Be nice to hear from someone with more intricate knowledge on the exact differences between the previous ZP5 lines versus the ZP5-LR line.

tell us more about multi piece erectors

Minox already crapped on part of the zp5 value when they had the Mauser rifle rebate. They had been running at $2500-2800 used and then suddenly you could grab one for $2000 or $2100 here on PX. I think many new zp5s entered the market with that rebate.

I will say that I run a ZP5 5-25 mr2 and had a gen 2 HD previously. I like the lighter scope. Don’t know whether it will hold up to a beating long term. Another entrant in the $1800 range (and used at $1500) would be welcome.

Reactions: Jackomason
To the guys talking about the specs being the same: Have you not checked the field of view? Am I missing something?

ZP5 vs Long Range

Field of view min / max at 100 m (m)14.0 / 4.77.2 / 1.6

I think there’s a mistake their because it can’t be 4.7 meters and the zp5 should also be 1.6 m if I’m correct

To the guys talking about the specs being the same: Have you not checked the field of view? Am I missing something?

ZP5 vs Long Range

Field of view min / max at 100 m (m)14.0 / 4.77.2 / 1.6

they are dreaming with those sort of numbers, even a ZCO is 1.6 at 100 . surely typo for the ZP5 .

specs for ZP5
Min. field of view...1.6m/100m
Max. field of view.7.6m/100m

zco 5-27

Min. field of view...1.5m/100m
Max. field of view.7m/100m

schmidt 5-25

Max. field of view.5.3m/100m

razor g2

Max. field of view.8.4m/100m

This is clearly a typo, just like the +/- 280cm elevation.

I think we should all wait and see. It's the height of stupidity to think we really know anything about it until it arrives. You guys do this with every shiny new object. Have some patience.

FWIW: I have a very early ZP5 MR4 with well over 10k rounds and lots of 1-2-3 matches (CD/PMS/NRL/ELR). It not been babied at all and it works awesome. Just used it at another national match and it tracked like a champ. I even had to go into that scary "second-rev indicator" you guys are afraid of.

I think we should all wait and see. It's the height of stupidity to think we really know anything about it until it arrives. You guys do this with every shiny new object. Have some patience.

FWIW: I have a very early ZP5 MR4 with well over 10k rounds and lots of 1-2-3 matches (CD/PMS/NRL/ELR). It not been babied at all and it works awesome. Just used it at another national match and it tracked like a champ. I even had to go into that scary "second-rev indicator" you guys are afraid of.

lol at the second rev part. People do seem to really dislike that feature.

You'd think all these internet sniper typers would have more "hand strength" ;)
When you're paying $3200 USD for a scope that's priced into tried and proven designs S&b / kahles / NF / vortex fucken oath you'd want it to feel like them or better . It's not about the hand strength or not it's QC

It's by design numb nuts. So you can feel when you hit the 2nd-Rev, similar to an MTC. I know most of the people that bitch probably never owned one. Maybe people need to start jacking off with their elevation turret hand. It's the stupidest reason not to buy this scope. There is no perfect scope...

It's by design numb nuts. So you can feel when you hit the 2nd-Rev, similar to an MTC. I know most of the people that bitch probably never owned one. Maybe people need to start jacking off with their elevation turret hand. It's the stupidest reason not to buy this scope. There is no perfect scope...

It’s by design, exactly. It’s not a defect, they’re doing what they were designed to do. People can decide whether they like it or don’t, but it’s a feature of the scope. Personally it doesn’t bother me in the least.

anyone know how much this scope weighs???

I received mine on Thursday, going to pick it up today, I’ll post some pictures and comments later

Reactions: db2000
If they offer a lower magnification version and street price is under 2000 usd then I'll be extremely interested in this new offering.

Provided they can offer a half decent warranty.
And you forgot MOA, cause it’s better ;)

Interesting it's a 10 year warranty and not their "30 Year Total Coverage Warranty".

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Interesting it's a 10 year warranty and not their "30 Year Total Coverage Warranty".

lots of European makers do this, as Lifetime is to open to interpretation

I believe the laws in Europe don’t allow for the term “lifetime warranty”

So I recieved mine and was quite disappointed after taking it out for a bit longer today. There seems to be debris and oil on the inside lense of the scope. It’s in a Spuhr mount that I torqued down to 20inch/lbs as per instructions. Not sure how this wasn’t a QC manufacturer issue. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• D2F1D07B-9E7F-47AA-BE4C-15E47FAF8CA0.jpeg
    D2F1D07B-9E7F-47AA-BE4C-15E47FAF8CA0.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 568
Yep, I’m extremely disappointed to say the least and will be deleting my post from earlier. First impressions are not good. Optical quality is irrelevant if QC is this bad
That's bad, maybe they need to change their grease? I hope you get it sorted out.

How are the controls on the scope?