• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New press announcement from Area 419

Just got delivered and they are huge. I took some pictures to show the difference.

@flyer1a what’s the best way to center a die using these?
With the ram all the way up and a shellholder installed, screw the die into the turret until it contacts the shellholder. Lower the ram, thread the die in another 1/4 turn, run the ram up to apply some pressure to the bottom of the die, lock the ring down. The upward pressure from the shellholder will push the die into the center of the 60* thread faces, and the lock ring will also pull it to center. It's how we do it, and have seen others suggest similar setup.

Of note, we always set up dies this way and then get the headspace we want using Redding Competition Shellholders. Perfect, no-fuss setup every time.

(I'm shooting a video on this Wednesday, most of my good spots to shoot video have been dominated by other projects with the press production and move, but the new shop is to the point I can set up a bench and some lights - getting closer to the move happening!)

With the ram all the way up and a shellholder installed, screw the die into the turret until it contacts the shellholder. Lower the ram, thread the die in another 1/4 turn, run the ram up to apply some pressure to the bottom of the die, lock the ring down. The upward pressure from the shellholder will push the die into the center of the 60* thread faces, and the lock ring will also pull it to center. It's how we do it, and have seen others suggest similar setup.

Of note, we always set up dies this way and then get the headspace we want using Redding Competition Shellholders. Perfect, no-fuss setup every time.

(I'm shooting a video on this Wednesday, most of my good spots to shoot video have been dominated by other projects with the press production and move, but the new shop is to the point I can set up a bench and some lights - getting closer to the move happening!)

Thanks for the suggestion. This should work extremely well with the seating dies. For FL sizing dies that are not able to be touching the shellholder without causing a headspace use, should I just pull up on the die to force upward pressure into the threads? Other than using something like a caliper calibration block as a spacer after getting the die length set up I'm worried about not being able to hold it straight and get upward pressure

Thanks for the suggestion. This should work extremely well with the seating dies. For FL sizing dies that are not able to be touching the shellholder without causing a headspace use, should I just pull up on the die to force upward pressure into the threads? Other than using something like a caliper calibration block as a spacer after getting the die length set up I'm worried about not being able to hold it straight and get upward pressure
A calibration block as a spacer is the better idea, if for no other reason than it's simpler.

May be I am wrong, but do the same process with a FL die is not diferent than Seating die, just use a (for example) +10 to install the FL die, pressing it against the die. And them, change to a thinner shell holder, like the +6, so you get less 0,004 "bump".

Disclaimer: I dont use the Redding Compettition shell holder, but it is the way I understand how to use it. But, again, I may be wrong.

May be I am wrong, but do the same process with a FL die is not diferent than Seating die, just use a (for example) +10 to install the FL die, pressing it against the die. And them, change to a thinner shell holder, like the +6, so you get less 0,004 "bump".

Disclaimer: I dont use the Redding Compettition shell holder, but it is the way I understand how to use it. But, again, I may be wrong.

I’ll take some pictures later but the gaps between all the FL dies are not consistent enough and the gaps are larger than the tallest Redding comp shell holder. Double checked this with my comp shell holders. Thanks for the idea but it won’t work out for this projects without over sizing the brass by a lot

The feeler gauge idea is a good one. Once you have the die set write down the feeler gauge measurement and you’ll get it there every time. The gaps between the sizing dies and ram are quite a bit.

Like peanut butter and jelly.

Attachments

• 20210116_195541.jpg
    20210116_195541.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 188
@flyer1a
I just got the Die rings today. How tight are you supposed to tighten them down. I'll give them a little pull on the wrench and the wrench slips. Am I pulling too hard. It seems like the aluminum wrench has a lot of spring in it.

Thank you
Joseph

@flyer1a
I just got the Die rings today. How tight are you supposed to tighten them down. I'll give them a little pull on the wrench and the wrench slips. Am I pulling too hard. It seems like the aluminum wrench has a lot of spring in it.

Thank you
Joseph
Same. Feels like I’m going to round off the wrench inside the ring.

Do you have the wrenches fully inserted into the rings? Don't want just the two ends pushed into a notch or two.

If you have the wrench all the way in, you'll be able to get a nice snug grab. No reason to excessively torque anything.

Reactions: joemusso
Do you have the wrenches fully inserted into the rings? Don't want just the two ends pushed into a notch or two.

If you have the wrench all the way in, you'll be able to get a nice snug grab. No reason to excessively torque anything.
I can’t speak for the others having this issue, but I’m making sure that my wrench is fully seated flat and square. I don’t feel I’m putting that much torque on this and I’m feeling the teeth start to slip.

Reactions: joemusso
Same thing with my wrench. I'm not really putting that much pressure on it and it starts jumping teeth. I've been very careful to keep it fully seated and square to the nut. Seems like it should be made of steel instead of aluminum.

I would have thought they would have made the wrenches out of the same material as the lock rings. Not aluminum

First let me say after looking at the video's and all the machined parts and construction I think $1200 for this is extremely reasonable.
I thought $100 for a funnel system was crazy but what's the sense of measuring powder to .02 grains and not have it all go into the case.
The funnels are worth it as is the Auto throw FX120I setup to me. Speed and accuracy.
The weak link to me in the whole reloading system is your still using a threaded die threaded into a threaded hole. There are tolerances on the fit of these componants so they go together and there is going to some inaccuracy there. SO to me its like a great solution using 50+ year old die technology. Seems to me there are a lot more accurate ways to locate/clamp the dies in the press but not using conventional screw thread fits hence we have presses with some float to them. If this was addressed already I apologize. This thread is so long i finally gave up reading it all. In the end the shooter and the weather is the weakest link. I'm sure you will sell a lot of these presses, I may buy one down the road also. 80% of the shooters are always looking to buy gear that they think will improve there performance instead of improving themselves. Its great for business. Reminds me of the shotgun sports like sporting clays. The state champion multiple times, like 8 or 9 times shoots a Remington model 870. Most competitive guys trying to beat him are shooting $10,000.+ shotguns. Truth is skill beats equipment all day every day.

Reactions: Ruskin
Ya’ll convinced me to start bolting things down.

The last pic is what the bench used to look like. I’m still debating how I want to set-up case prep. Would prefer a similar bench over using the tool chest.

776C55DE-AA6D-441F-B75C-1BEC5F4F2F44.jpeg
E0D24990-5C89-4355-81C3-120CA1A52C11.jpeg
5E0F7862-0C24-42A9-BECA-0C060CF0DD02.jpeg
5FB8145B-D82A-477C-8D3F-3672024190DD.jpeg

Reactions: E-Tool and kthomas
Plenty of room for case prep if I move the scale, I figured i’d level and recalibrate prior to each session anyway.

How stable does the scale base need to be? I assume as heavy as possible away from airflow and tube lights?

All my shop lights are LED.

Reactions: E-Tool
Plenty of room for case prep if I move the scale, I figured i’d level and recalibrate prior to each session anyway.

How stable does the scale base need to be? I assume as heavy as possible away from airflow and tube lights?

I have mine on a piece of 3 inch granite. I'm not sure how much movement the scale can withstand. I just figure the more stable you can make it the better you'll be.

Reactions: flyer1a and E-Tool

I do mine on my coffee table on carpet while Im seating bullets with the press mounted on the same table and Im no worse for the wear. I occasionally have to relevel it but it doesnt change in the middle of a loading session. SO long as its solid and repeatable and not a rickety rocking chair that will never go back to the same place twice.

If it goes back to its same space it doesnt really matter if it shakes a bit so long as you arent slapping the handle on the stops during the final tenths trickle. Just dont actually move the scales position around because changing its level will have a much bigger influence on the actual zero and reading. I dont displace anythings actual position on the coffee table, but you can tell when I slap the handle and the vibrations go through the table that the scale reading will fluctuate and that can lead to an over charge in its final trickle.

My plan was to measure and dump powder into each case (while being very cautious of overcharging), then seating all the bullets after, so the scale would be out of play.

Ordered mine from Brownells about 3 weeks ago fully expecting that I would wait until March or April for it. Got a nice surprise on Friday in the form of an email saying it was shipped! Really looking forward to getting it set up!

Reactions: Jlcichocki
Ordered mine from Brownells about 3 weeks ago fully expecting that I would wait until March or April for it. Got a nice surprise on Friday in the form of an email saying it was shipped! Really looking forward to getting it set up!
There is a little luck involved in all of those orders. We ship to dealers in batches and customers in batches. There's a chance you'll get one faster with a dealer, and it may also be slower. Some guys have even been able to walk into a Scheels and but one over the counter, but those opportunities are pretty uncommon. We're just excited to see more of them in the wild all the time!

There is a little luck involved in all of those orders. We ship to dealers in batches and customers in batches. There's a chance you'll get one faster with a dealer, and it may also be slower. Some guys have even been able to walk into a Scheels and but one over the counter, but those opportunities are pretty uncommon. We're just excited to see more of them in the wild all the time!

Are the 1-1/4 die turrets available yet?

Have been for a while, have shipped a pile of them. Do you have an order in? If you do, and it hasn't shipped, email info(at)area419(dot)com and we will see what's going on.

Thanks for the quick response. No there some posts in another thread saying it was a "future part" and I was just confirming its available today. Thank you

Thanks for the quick response. No there some posts in another thread saying it was a "future part" and I was just confirming its available today. Thank you

I think they mean a turret slotted for dies like the front of the CoAx.

For $1200 bucks the thing better blow you as well. I will stick to my Redding press and spend the money I would have spent on the press on components...when they are available. To each his own I guess.