New press announcement from Area 419

clcustom1911

"Cartman 1-2, come in" aka Chili Tat
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Like I said, I'm more interested in how much unnecessary Swiss watch craftsman type crap i can cut out and still achieve a high level of accuracy for my chosen disciplines than how much I can deep dive stuff that I have yet to prove matters in my load.
This. My process has simplified over the years and makes the whole reloading experience much more enjoyable and less of tha chore with a great payoff for my efforts.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
Dang fellas, I got busy for a couple weeks and this thread blew up!

I think it has been said a bunch of times here - this press may not be the right choice for everyone. That said, for those of you that have made (thank you for believing in us) or will make the plunge, I guarantee you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Over the last few weeks, we have been dragging a press around the country to matches, wanting people to see and touch it. It's a beast in size, but has a sensitive feel that is impossible to appreciate in video.

Production is in full swing. The investment we have made into the production of this press has been tremendous, but we have also seen a response from customers that is really strong. We have sold literal tons of them, by weight, and know that when this first batch hits doorsteps things will move even faster.

If you're interested in the process, jump onto our FB or IG account, we are keeping a nice photo log of what is going into delivering (in our opinion) the finest precision reloading press ever manufactured.

CrabsandFootball

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
People tend to forget or not know there what can be done with aluminum:

AL is great stuff, but its a compromise metal. In applications where weight and corrosion are a concern, its great. It is used so that APC doesn't weight 100 tons and can still be airlifted while not droping any bridge it tries to cost. Same with ships and we are now seeing just tell well AL susperstructures stand up to something like a collision with a tanker. (Hint, they dont).

No AL alloy has the toughness that modern Steel Alloys do. It cannot handle the same impact and while some propperties like yield strength can be similar, there is much more to it. You also arent getting hardness anywhere near a good heat treated steel allow without anodizing, which is just a surface treatment anyway. Think soft shell egg.

All things being equal, steel is a superior material for anything that is going to take abuse. We don't use aluminium reciecers in our bolt guns for a reason, and we don't use AL barrels for anything but rimfire with a steel liner.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
AL is great stuff, but its a compromise metal. In applications where weight and corrosion are a concern, its great. It is used so that APC doesn't weight 100 tons and can still be airlifted while not droping any bridge it tries to cost. Same with ships and we are now seeing just tell well AL susperstructures stand up to something like a collision with a tanker. (Hint, they dont).

No AL alloy has the toughness that modern Steel Alloys do. It cannot handle the same impact and while some propperties like yield strength can be similar, there is much more to it. You also arent getting hardness anywhere near a good heat treated steel allow without anodizing, which is just a surface treatment anyway. Think soft shell egg.

All things being equal, steel is a superior material for anything that is going to take abuse. We don't use aluminium reciecers in our bolt guns for a reason, and we don't use AL barrels for anything but rimfire with a steel liner.
But we do use aluminum for uppers/lowers/handguards in carbines. I agree that aluminum is a compromise material, but so is steel. You're picking up strength but compromising workability and price. My point is that everything presents compromise. What we know is that the aluminum used in this press, in the places and manner it is being used, is more than sufficient for the role. There are also places where we are using steel, where the demands require it.

7075 Billet cut from plate (not extrusion) is a very, very tough material, and we think it will make some excellent components for this press.

Reactions: kindabitey

CrabsandFootball

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
But we do use aluminum for uppers/lowers/handguards in carbines. I agree that aluminum is a compromise material, but so is steel. You're picking up strength but compromising workability and price. My point is that everything presents compromise. What we know is that the aluminum used in this press, in the places and manner it is being used, is more than sufficient for the role. There are also places where we are using steel, where the demands require it.

7075 Billet cut from plate (not extrusion) is a very, very tough material, and we think it will make some excellent components for this press.
Uppers lowers and rails in carbines could be made of plastic and still function. You have a steel bolt inside of a steel barrel extension attached to a steel barrel. That combustion is almost entirely contained in a steel vessel until the bolt unlocks.

Why aren't there aluminum bolt actions?

Not knocking the press at all, loots like a great piece of equipment. Just wanted to throw some two cents on the notion that aluminum is an acceptable replacement for steel. In many applications, it's not.

kindabitey

unsponsored heathen
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017

I'm not sure I understand your point. They aren't building APC's, it's a reloading press.
If it was made out of steel I'd have to get a crane company to set it on my bench. Just a guess, but a steel version would be in the
60-70 lb range.

Reactions: Tokay444

Threadcutter308

Outlier
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Camano Island, Washington
I'm not sure I understand your point. They aren't building APC's, it's a reloading press.
If it was made out of steel I'd have to get a crane company to set it on my bench. Just a guess, but a steel version would be in the
60-70 lb range.
Oh, and the press isn't going to operate at 1,000 Cycles per Minute either.......

kindabitey

unsponsored heathen
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
I don't really consider it a compromise material, either. Using steel for the product we produce at work would be cost prohibitive once you add in pre-weld cleaning and prep and paint/ finish. But what do I know, we only use 2 tons of 6061 extrusion every week.

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
60-70 lb range.
The Corbin Mega Mite press I use for 50 BMG does weigh 70 lbs :)

Powder_Burns

Shoutbox Veteran
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 4, 2009
Colorado
Looks gorgeous. If it had an integrated primer system I’d be all over it. Waiting for gen 2 lol

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
Good to see things moving right along over at Area419 with the Zero!! Reached out to Jon @ Area419 last week and hope to do a full review of the Zero for Snipers Hide this fall. With a CoAx, Rockchucker, 550c and XL650's on the bench. It will be nice to see how the Zero compares and where it excels vs the others. Really like the look and tight tolerances. Especially with their shell holders!

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
Good to see things moving right along over at Area419 with the Zero!! Reached out to Jon @ Area419 last week and hope to do a full review of the Zero for Snipers Hide this fall. With a CoAx, Rockchucker, 550c and XL650's on the bench. It will be nice to see how the Zero compares and where it excels vs the others. Really like the look and tight tolerances. Especially with their shell holders!
I'd like to see the zero up against a prazi press that would be more of a fair comparison.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
I'd like to see the zero up against a prazi press that would be more of a fair comparison.
The Prazi is a sweet unit, but suffers the same headaches as something like a RockChucker - every time you want to change a die out to perform another operation, you are depending on class-2 threads and a lock ring to set up the same way. Unfortunately this is not very consistent, it's the nature of a single stage. This is why we like the turret feature, and why we are working on something new for the way dies interface with a press.

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
looks beautiful. Can't wait to get it in and see how it performs. Would still be nice to see a comparison with the prazi sizing brass.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
looks beautiful. Can't wait to get it in and see how it performs. Would still be nice to see a comparison with the prazi sizing brass.
I'm 100% sure that will be done.

Prediction - the results between the two when sizing will be the same, or close enough one way or another that there cannot be statistical significance inferred. Need a mondo amount of space? Prazi is available in larger sizes. Want the consistency of not swapping dies in and out? Advantage goes to Zero.

Reactions: Tier1nub

Tokay444

Black Rifles Matter.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019

There are MANY aluminum, "reciecers" on the market.
The rest of your post was pretty much unreadable.

Last edited:

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
Prazi performance put of a turret press.....now thats a perfect press.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
Looks gorgeous. If it had an integrated primer system I’d be all over it. Waiting for gen 2 lol
you may be waiting a very, very long time for integrated priming. To do a priming system, it typically means cutting up your ram, which we don't like at all. The decap/spent-primer management on this was designed to remove as little material from the ram as possible. Or it wants a system like the Co-Ax, which is one-at-a-time which is painful and not a route we would take.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
Shoot me a DM. We have received an unreal amount of "send me one, I'll review it" requests, as you can imagine. We are logging them all, and will work out some sort of program for this. The few going out early are Ultimate Reloader and AccurateShooter, plus a larger magazine, then other reviews will be later after we get this first major round of customer orders shipped. I'm CONFIDENT that there will be some Hide reviews pop up from that first customer round.

wbbh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2018
Short of actually using the press, the ergonomics look great, right or left handed users have great access to the shell holder. I'm looking forward to actual testing.

CrabsandFootball

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
There are MANY aluminum, "reciecers" on the market.
The rest of your post was pretty much unreadable.
I'm sorry science is hard for you to understand. How many metallurgy classes did you have to sit through for you degree? Didn't think so.

The material of a receiver that does nothing but hold the steel parts together is irrelevant. You could make a wood or polly AR lower/ upper and it would work for a while.

And yet the barrel is made of steel.
The barrel extension is made of steel.
The bolt is made of steel.
The bolt carrier and components are made of steel.
The firing pin and extractors are made of steel.

How many bolt action receivers are made of AL?

Now consider yourself educated.

• Haha

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
I'm sorry science is hard for you to understand. How many metallurgy classes did you have to sit through for you degree? Didn't think so.

The material of a receiver that does nothing but hold the steel parts together is irrelevant. You could make a wood or polly AR lower/ upper and it would work for a while.

You can prove your point with out stupid insults bud.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania

Take this discussion somewhere else and stop crapping on the Zero announcement thread. You want to continue this Aluminum vs steel debate open up a new thread.

Now let's get this back on track

TCKev

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA

Quit being a Twatwaffle do yo honestly believe that Area 419 would ruin the reputation on a failed part. A part I'm sure was tested extensively before the final decision was made to use that particular type of nonferrous metal.

Tokay444

Black Rifles Matter.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019

Quite a few classes.
Quite a few bolt action receivers.
You made a blanket statement that was blatantly incorrect.
Consider yourself educated.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I see a ton of room for my mangled up fingers to get in around the shell holder 👍
My only hold up is the speed in which I can use my co-ax. My right hand never leaves the handle. I have a box under the press. So I put case in with left hand, while sizing with right, my left hand is grabbing another case. I knock the current case out with my left hand and place the new case in. I can knock out 2-300 cases very fast.

Not sure with the way this press is designed if I can do that. Looks like I might have to remove the case with more than just a push.

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
My only hold up is the speed in which I can use my co-ax. My right hand never leaves the handle. I have a box under the press. So I put case in with left hand, while sizing with right, my left hand is grabbing another case. I knock the current case out with my left hand and place the new case in. I can knock out 2-300 cases very fast.

Not sure with the way this press is designed if I can do that. Looks like I might have to remove the case with more than just a push.
You can put mount the press on a left edge of your table and your box to the left and have the shell holder mouth open to the left and with the way this shell holder...holder is designed it gets screwed down and i believer is wont spin around like the other designs. Non the less u can still have the box to the left of you and have case holder open to the left and flick em out that way. Since you use your left hand wouls be a shorter distance as well. Maybe I'm wrong. Sounds like it would work.

Jordanwickham

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
Southwest VA
I see people wanting an explanation of how this press can "make me a better shooter" because of the price tag. The press won't make you a better shooter, that's on you. May make better ammo but if you are a 3/4 MOA shooter, a perfectly made 5 shot string of ammo you are still going to be a 3/4 MOA shooter.
The purpose of the press isn't to make poor shooters better shooters. It's to eek out the last bit of perfection available, that's why it's $1200.
I won't be buying the press because I'm at most a decent shooter and about 80% got my shit together reloading. I'm not the demographic of Area 419 as far as this press goes.
If you are asking how this press will make you a better shooter you are asking the wrong question. Save the $1200 and like me go get some marksmanship fundamentals training and possibly a reloading class.
Just my two cents. I don't get why people are trying to take a shit at Area 419 for making a press that those same people's ego won't allow them to come to the realization that the issue isn't the ammo.

Reactions: lash and Tier1nub

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I see people wanting an explanation of how this press can "make me a better shooter" because of the price tag. The press won't make you a better shooter, that's on you. May make better ammo but if you are a 3/4 MOA shooter, a perfectly made 5 shot string of ammo you are still going to be a 3/4 MOA shooter.
The purpose of the press isn't to make poor shooters better shooters. It's to eek out the last bit of perfection available, that's why it's $1200.
I won't be buying the press because I'm at most a decent shooter and about 80% got my shit together reloading. I'm not the demographic of Area 419 as far as this press goes.
If you are asking how this press will make you a better shooter you are asking the wrong question. Save the $1200 and like me go get some marksmanship fundamentals training and possibly a reloading class.
Just my two cents. I don't get why people are trying to take a shit at Area 419 for making a press that those same people's ego won't allow them to come to the realization that the issue isn't the ammo.
No one has asked if it will make them a better shooter.

What they have asked is, if you’re already loading very good ammo, where is there room from improvement? It’s a valid question.

It’s been brought up several times that current dies suffer from threads and such. The question is, will changing this actual show an improvement.

No one thinks a press will make them a better shooter.

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
They're looking for somewhere to put the blame for their lack of training and skill. The more better equipment to come out....the less excuses they have thats all. Think they are also referred to as "haters"

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
No one has asked if it will make them a better shooter.

What they have asked is, if you’re already loading very good ammo, where is there room from improvement? It’s a valid question.

It’s been brought up several times that current dies suffer from threads and such. The question is, will changing this actual show an improvement.

No one thinks a press will make them a better shooter.
I dont think anyone is loading perfect ammo otherwise we be seeing 0moa groups all the time...

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
I dont think anyone is loading perfect ammo otherwise we be seeing 0moa groups all the time...
What I mean to say is there is alot of room for improvement. And whats wrong with having a nice over build press. I dont get how guys are trying to look for justification to need a press like qith. You can do witj a 100 dollar lyman press. I'm sure there are alot of guys asking that question who own Mercedes....Ferrari ...lambo...whats the justification with those purchases? Whats wrong with wanting nice stuff?absolutely nothing! I don't think Area419 is in the business of comprimise to make products affordable. They are trying to put out the best or the best. I like how Jordan Wickham state that even though its not his demographic he appreciates the value of the press. Like wise im sire everyone, be it right demographics or not, can appreciate a nice Lamborghini.