New press announcement from Area 419

Jordanwickham

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
Southwest VA
Dthomas I just stumbled onto this thread so I was reading the posts on page 1-4 and people were legit wanting an explanation as to how at $1200 this press will make them better shooters.

"Because a lot of us are impulse buyers and buy the shiniest new product but often times need justification as to why it’s going to make me a better shooter and more competitive."

I was just pointing out that often times people buy the hottest new "item" then still shoot 3/4 MOA and then come in and shit talk the "item" because their ego won't let them come to the realization that the equipment isn't the issue.
There's dude's shooting hole in holes using a hand press.
If people run around in the mindset of how is piece of equipment X going to make me shoot better they are already dicked up.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
I dont think anyone is loading perfect ammo otherwise we be seeing 0moa groups all the time...
Uh no... the ammo is one piece among many factors that is required to shoot tiny groups and its been done for a LONG time in many disciplines.. the barrel, chamber, stock/chassis, bedding, optic, trigger, rest/bipod, bag, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the indian jerking the trigger are all compiled to give you your end result down range .you dont "load perfect ammo, whatever that means and get 0moa groups..."

What is "perfectly loaded ammo"??

Single digit SD's between 2-5??? Check
Bullet runout of .001" or less?? Check

Ive been saying this a LONG TIME. You can make excellent ammo on a Rochchucker with a Chargemaster. Proper load development is WAY more important than all the fancy gear. If you do proper load development, select a charge in the center of a node, do a proper seating depth, your going to be shooting accurate ammo. This isnt anything new. The ZERO is not being touted as some light from god, make the best ammo in the world, youll be shooting "0moa groups" press. I dont know anyone saying that.

From everything I've read to date, what Area419 is touting, is a very precisely machined press to greatly reduce or eliminate stacking tolerances and slop and gives you the ability to setup a TON of dies and never have to touch them again for faster setup and reloading sessions.

Last edited:

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
Uh no... the ammo is one piece among many factors that is required to shoot tiny groups and its been done for a LONG time in many disciplines.. the barrel, chamber, stock/chassis, bedding, optic, trigger, rest/bipod, bag, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the indian jerking the trigger are all compiled to give you your end result down range .you dont "load perfect ammo, whatever that means and get 0moa groups..."

What is "perfectly loaded ammo"??

Single digit SD's between 2-5??? Check
Bullet runout of .001" or less?? Check

Ive been saying this a LONG TIME. You can make excellent ammo on a Rochchucker with a Chargemaster. Proper load development is WAY more important than all the fancy gear. If you do proper load development, select a charge in the center of a node, do a proper seating depth, your going to be shooting accurate ammo. This isnt anything new. The ZERO is not being touted as some light from god, make the best ammo in the world, youll be shooting "0moa groups" press. I dont know anyone saying that.

What Area419 is touting, is a very precisely machined press to greatly reduce or eliminate stacking tolerances and slop and gives you the ability to setup a TON of dies and never have to touch them again for faster setup and reloading sessions.
No perfect t is 0 sd 0.000 runout. 0moa. All im saying is there is room for improvement to answer you question and how much better can you get.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
No perfect t is 0 sd 0.000 runout. 0moa. All im saying is there is room for improvement to answer you question and how much better can you get.
Nothing is 0. Nothing. EVERYTHING has a tolerance...from when the brass is made, to the bullets being made, to the dies being made. You can't remove that with a press or ANY reloading tool. Your goal is to not add any more to the equation when you reload...your not getting zero. Period. Look up the world records....there is no 0moa groups

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
Nothing is 0. Nothing. EVERYTHING has a tolerance...from when the brass is made, to the bullets being made, to the dies being made. You can't remove that with a press or ANY reloading tool. Your goal is to not add any more to the equation when you reload...your not getting zero. Period. Look up the world records....there is no 0moa groups
Then thats youre room for improvement. Just because something havent been achieved before does not make it impossible. Thats all I'm saying.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I see people wanting an explanation of how this press can "make me a better shooter" because of the price tag. The press won't make you a better shooter, that's on you. May make better ammo but if you are a 3/4 MOA shooter, a perfectly made 5 shot string of ammo you are still going to be a 3/4 MOA shooter.
The purpose of the press isn't to make poor shooters better shooters. It's to eek out the last bit of perfection available, that's why it's $1200.
I won't be buying the press because I'm at most a decent shooter and about 80% got my shit together reloading. I'm not the demographic of Area 419 as far as this press goes.
If you are asking how this press will make you a better shooter you are asking the wrong question. Save the $1200 and like me go get some marksmanship fundamentals training and possibly a reloading class.
Just my two cents. I don't get why people are trying to take a shit at Area 419 for making a press that those same people's ego won't allow them to come to the realization that the issue isn't the ammo.
I didn't see a single person asking how this press will make them a better shooter. All of the discussion has been about realistic accuracy improvement from a small increase in concentricity over current presses.

Tier1nub

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2019
Then thats youre room for improvement. Just because something havent been achieved before does not make it impossible. Thats all I'm saying.
Just to me clear im not saying I myself can. I'm probably the furthest in this bunch to reach something like that. I'm just saying this industry and community is constantly improving. Anything is possible.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
My room for improvement? Dude what are you talking about? You make zero sense. Slow your roll and get this thread back on track about the ZERO and not these nonsense posts.

Reactions: Tier1nub

Jordanwickham

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
Southwest VA
I didn't see a single person asking how this press will make them a better shooter. All of the discussion has been about realistic accuracy improvement from a small increase in concentricity over current presses.
Then I would reread pages 1-4. The quote I put in the next post I posted is a direct quote from someone else's post. I didn't quote it by way of the SH quote thing because it would show who posted it and I'm not trying to blast that person but people certainly did say how would it make them a better shooter.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Then I would reread pages 1-4. The quote I put in the next post I posted is a direct quote from someone else's post. I didn't quote it by way of the SH quote thing because it would show who posted it and I'm not trying to blast that person but people certainly did say how would it make them a better shooter.
I'm not going to reread shit. You aren't wise. Your little post isn't illuminating or insightful

Threadcutter308

Outlier
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Camano Island, Washington
In all seriousness now........

I have a bunch of A419 accessories for my Autotrickler set up. A419 stuff isn't cheap, but they do provide a lot of value. As with so many things in life, I have found the best modus operandi is "Cry Once". I have not been disappointed with anything that I have purchased from A419.

For my Centerfire rifles, I use Wilson Arbor dies and a very, very simple Arbor press. I either buy Wilson blanks and ream them with the chamber reamer for that specific rifle, or, I buy finished/cut chamber dies from Wilson. The most recent purchase was of a .308W finished die that the chamber was sloppy, so I had to cut the die back (probably 3/8ths of an inch) and move the chamber forward with my reamer. Not really a slam on them, they have to make production dies in such a way that they will work with as much brass as possible.

Just having watched the A419 video on the press, I see it is plenty stout and there is absolutely no problem using it for full length resizing or shoulder bumping. Presently, I have a Rockchucker for that.

I could see getting a Zero press. It'd go nicely with dies like Newlon or Warner manufacture.

Reactions: Steel head

kindabitey

unsponsored heathen
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
My only hold up is the speed in which I can use my co-ax. My right hand never leaves the handle. I have a box under the press. So I put case in with left hand, while sizing with right, my left hand is grabbing another case. I knock the current case out with my left hand and place the new case in. I can knock out 2-300 cases very fast.

Not sure with the way this press is designed if I can do that. Looks like I might have to remove the case with more than just a push.
I'll try that way, and let you know when mine comes in.

HemiPowrd

Private
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
I'll just state that my main reason for buying this press is for the precision turret. I really like the idea that I can have all my dies in the turret and just rotate the turret to switch dies while keeping them all set to the correct depth with repeatability. It may or may not make more accurate ammo compared to what I make now on the Rock Chucker, but then that isn't why I'm buying it.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
I'm excited for the conversation that'll start when we release the new die stuff we're working on.

Fascinating to watch in these threads - the number of people who are CONVINCED that NOBODY will EVER buy a press at this price. We've sold enough that we are lining up a freight pickup from UPS for initial shipping day. Will be several pallets, with many of them being shipped all over the world.

We are in the business of producing the finest products possible, outside of standard convention, and knowing there is a market that respects it. I don't think you'll see a deviation from that any time soon.

Tokay444

Black Rifles Matter.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019
I'm excited for the conversation that'll start when we release the new die stuff we're working on.

Fascinating to watch in these threads - the number of people who are CONVINCED that NOBODY will EVER buy a press at this price. We've sold enough that we are lining up a freight pickup from UPS for initial shipping day. Will be several pallets, with many of them being shipped all over the world.

We are in the business of producing the finest products possible, outside of standard convention, and knowing there is a market that respects it. I don't think you'll see a deviation from that any time soon.
That’s just the poors being vocally poor. Pay no mind to them.
You guys keep making the best you can think up at any price, and people will always buy it. Don’t factor in the lowest common denominator. They’re obviously not your target market.

3FB9C3A4-6A6D-4C68-803B-C6599AFF416C.gif

Reactions: orkan and flyer1a

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Oct 27, 2008
South Dakota, USA
What I wouldn't give... for concentric, coaxially aligned, properly dimensioned, correctly featured, custom spec'd full length non-bushing sizers and micrometer seater dies that function properly that are 100% correct the FIRST time , every time. At present, no one... and I mean no one offers it. Not with any confidence level.

parshal

Private
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Colorado
www.bambooflyrods.com
I'll just state that my main reason for buying this press is for the precision turret. I really like the idea that I can have all my dies in the turret and just rotate the turret to switch dies while keeping them all set to the correct depth with repeatability.
This is exactly why I ordered one. I have a MEC Marksman and it's hell for stout but it has no turret. I'll keep using my co-ax for various duties, too.

30cal user

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA

any plans for single stage/non turret version at lower price?

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Tell that to Bighorn, Defiance and American Rifle co, lol
Budgies rule!
Lol. Totally different market. There’s only a handful of guys with 3 or more single stage presses around.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
any plans for single stage/non turret version at lower price?
Not really, and it's because it works against a core problem we are trying to solve, that resetting dies creates inconsistency.

If we do a single-stage at a later time it would likely be a pretty different unit, and would depend on something else we are working on - though I don't think I'd expect it to be a ton cheaper or very soon.

30cal user

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA
Not really, and it's because it works against a core problem we are trying to solve, that resetting dies creates inconsistency.

If we do a single-stage at a later time it would likely be a pretty different unit, and would depend on something else we are working on - though I don't think I'd expect it to be a ton cheaper or very soon.
thank you for the reply

TCKev

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
Anyone heard anything on shipment yet. Hopeful next week
As per the last email I got

We expect the first of these will ship in the September 15th-20th window, with all of the currently ordered units shipping by the first week of October

So hopefully I'm in the first batch

Reactions: joemusso

HemiPowrd

Private
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
I ordered about an hour after it was announced (89832) so should be in the first batch out the door.

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
There will be pallets of these shipping out next week, barring some major unforeseen event. Lots of sub-assemblies are already going together (pressing bearings into arms, etc) with a large number of parts returning from Nitride this week. The linear bearings will be the final parts to see a machine, with the custom expander mandrel for ID holding to be delivered the 16th. Those parts can go straight from the machine to installation.

As we start to final-assemble and ship, we will surely be posting photos. As these will all ship UPS Ground, I hope the standard COVID shipping delays will be minimal. Continued production of components is underway. We hope that long-term these are not batch-processed and we can at some point have them on the shelf and ready to ship. That may not be before next year (because of both demand and the fact that we won't have additional machine space until we are in the new shop in January) but we are working on it. Typically the summer is a time where orders slow down and we can rebuild inventory levels, but that hasn't been the case this summer. We are working a lot of overtime in production and staffing up in the office. It's a wild time at 419.

TCKev

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
There will be pallets of these shipping out next week, barring some major unforeseen event. Lots of sub-assemblies are already going together (pressing bearings into arms, etc) with a large number of parts returning from Nitride this week. The linear bearings will be the final parts to see a machine, with the custom expander mandrel for ID holding to be delivered the 16th. Those parts can go straight from the machine to installation.

As we start to final-assemble and ship, we will surely be posting photos. As these will all ship UPS Ground, I hope the standard COVID shipping delays will be minimal. Continued production of components is underway. We hope that long-term these are not batch-processed and we can at some point have them on the shelf and ready to ship. That may not be before next year (because of both demand and the fact that we won't have additional machine space until we are in the new shop in January) but we are working on it. Typically the summer is a time where orders slow down and we can rebuild inventory levels, but that hasn't been the case this summer. We are working a lot of overtime in production and staffing up in the office. It's a wild time at 419.
Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get a ship notice. I've ordered an extra turret and Inline Fab quick change plate. Is there a lubricant we need to have on hand you can recommend? Or is that even needed?

flyer1a

Area 419
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2017
The Edge of the Plate
www.Area419.com
While we designed the system to run without lubricant, some guys may want to add a little over time to the ram, especially after a long string of decapping or if the press sits for a long time and dust/debris has settled on the surface of the ram. If you're going to do that, a simple thin oil (in very small amounts) would do the trick - our lube of choice is the stuff Swanny sells, we also like that it comes with a little dropper bottle. We will be sure to cover all of this in the instructions (which will be in video form so we can instruct visually) that you receive with the press.