• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New PVA Cleaning Accessories: The Muzzle Jimmy and Jimmy Stick

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
For those enjoying our barrels, here's a new product that ought to make your life easier for cleaning them. This product was inspired by a number of barrels we've seen (ours and others) that were damaged severely during cleaning. Especially as more of us use things like H4350, Varget, and Staball where a carbon ring is almost assured if you're not spot-on with the cleaning cycle.

It does work with other barrels, we just recommend you use ours... because they're ours. ;)

Anyway: Here's the Muzzle Jimmy with the add-on "Jimmy Stick"

Yes, I've been told there's a joke in the name somewhere. The goal is for folks to be able to clean barrels more easily and let the cleaning agents do the hard work. This means fewer damaged crowns and gouged throats from over-zealous scrubbing on stubborn carbon and copper fouling.

They're brightly color anodized and hopefully nobody will send a bullet downrange with the Jimmy still over the muzzle. However, if they do, the precautions to make the cap out of low strength aluminum is meant to mitigate the damage caused by the accident.

And a quick clip on why the Jimmy Stick is so useful...

Attachments

• MJ crop 1.png
    MJ crop 1.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 95
  • MJ crop 2.png
    MJ crop 2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
  • MJ crop 3.png
    MJ crop 3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
  • MJ crop 4.png
    MJ crop 4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
I have an idea for the next iteration of this. Add an ultrasonic transducer and some sort of drop on cone for the chamber end to center the rod after filling. Voila the "Jimmy Rustler".

Bore Tech Eliminator it would seem from the color of the label.
Correct, that's what I'm using currently.

I've used a bunch of solvents with material slugs to make sure stuff doesn't eat the aluminum. So far the only thing that seems to be problematic is stuff with ammonia in it.

I've used a bunch of solvents with material slugs to make sure stuff doesn't eat the aluminum. So far the only thing that seems to be problematic is stuff with ammonia in it.
is the stick part of it on your site...don't see it. Is it just a .22 rod or...?

I like this but have 419's universal adapters locktited on my guns and I'm a bit loath to take them off. Any interest in making the muzzle jimmy to fit these?

Thanks

is the stick part of it on your site...don't see it. Is it just a .22 rod or...?

I like this but have 419's universal adapters locktited on my guns and I'm a bit loath to take them off. Any interest in making the muzzle jimmy to fit these?

Thanks
The stick is a piece of AL rod. It's more expensive to pack and ship it than it is to make it, which is why it's priced where it is. It's not pictured as it's literally a piece of AL cut to length and deburred.

I'll talk to Jon and see if he has any qualms about me making one that fits their interface. Good idea.

The stick is a piece of AL rod. It's more expensive to pack and ship it than it is to make it, which is why it's priced where it is. It's not pictured as it's literally a piece of AL cut to length and deburred.

I'll talk to Jon and see if he has any qualms about me making one that fits their interface. Good idea.
Thanks Josh....but maybe I'm a bit thick today...I don't actually see the rod available on the site...price or no price. But I could have just missed it.

And yes, most folks can prob just get a bit of rod locally.

Thanks

Cheers

Some of my barrels also have brakes installed that don't get taken off for cleaning, since I've moved to the Q/Rearden MFG interface to shoot suppressed.

I would be interested in this product if you made one compatible with the Q Plan B/Rearden thread pitch. Not sure how many of us are using this type of muzzle device, so it may be too small of a market.

And an M27 off action bore guide for AI's would be nice.

Reactions: bohem
We can make all of these things.

I've got something in the works for folks using bespoke muzzle mounts/adapters/can mounts, etc.

Nice, only thing missing is a small valve and nipple to attach a hose to drain it.

View attachment 7979288
Not a bad idea, we kicked it around here. There's a surprisingly small amount of fluid in the bore. About a teaspoon worth in a 26" long 6.5 Creed when the Jimmy Stick is used. Between that and the cost of adding a valve to the package we decided against it. Especially since most copper solvents will eat the brass valve seats over time too.

I've got something in the works for folks using bespoke muzzle mounts/adapters/can mounts, etc.

Looking forward to this!

Looking forward to a possible TBAC cap.

To be able to clean my muzzle and brake without having pick and dig with a q tip would be awesome

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
@bohem

I'd like to suggest a simple and slightly more expensive upgrade to your small washer/plug bolt setup.
O-rings are cheap and effective. However, someone will be ham-fisted with this setup and feel the need to tighten the bolt with an Allen wrench.

My suggestion is to swap out the o-ring with a Stat-o-seal.
Rub a tiny amount of vaseline on it, slip it on the bolt and torque away if you want to. It won't break the seal like an unsupported o-ring.

Bought in bulk, they are pretty cheap.

Screenshot_20221021-081323_Chrome.jpg

Neat setup.
Now, if you'll just make a screw on bore guide that can be used with the barrel removed....

Reactions: Balor and msgriff
@bohem

I'd like to suggest a simple and slightly more expensive upgrade to your small washer/plug bolt setup.
O-rings are cheap and effective. However, someone will be ham-fisted with this setup and feel the need to tighten the bolt with an Allen wrench.

My suggestion is to swap out the o-ring with a Stat-o-seal.
Rub a tiny amount of vaseline on it, slip it on the bolt and torque away if you want to. It won't break the seal like an unsupported o-ring.

Bought in bulk, they are pretty cheap.

View attachment 7980933

Neat setup.
Now, if you'll just make a screw on bore guide that can be used with the barrel removed....
Hey that's a pretty cool seal! I'll look into it, thanks.

I'm working on several things for helping with the care and cleaning of precision rifle barrels. A screw on Bore Guide is a good idea, it's already on the list.

Something else for the "I don't want to take off my muzzle brake" and the "I don't have a threaded barrel" guys is hitting next. I leaked it on IG last night.

Not a bad idea, we kicked it around here. There's a surprisingly small amount of fluid in the bore. About a teaspoon worth in a 26" long 6.5 Creed when the Jimmy Stick is used. Between that and the cost of adding a valve to the package we decided against it. Especially since most copper solvents will eat the brass valve seats over time too.
Great. I’ll vote again for 419 uni adapter compatible…if, as you said, they don’t mind.

Lots of them out there, I believe.

Cheers

Last edited:
Great. I’ll vote again for 419 uni adapter compatible…if, as you said, they don’t mind.

Lots of them out there, I believe.

Cheers
Yep, there sure are.

Here's an approach that will solve the riddle without needing something muzzle device specific.

Attachments

• IMG_9589.jpeg
    IMG_9589.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-9591.jpg
    IMG-9591.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 41
Yep, there sure are.

Here's an approach that will solve the riddle without needing something muzzle device specific.

Yeah, but I have silicon plugs I can use if I want to plug from the chamber side. But I don’t because a leak will be an utter mess.

I like your Jimmy specifically because it works from the muzzle side. If it leaks…well, put a bucket under it and sleep easy.

I would still love to see the Jimmie w 419 uni adapter but it’s your product line to manage.

Cheers.

Yeah, but I have silicon plugs I can use if I want to plug from the chamber side. But I don’t because a leak will be an utter mess.

I like your Jimmy specifically because it works from the muzzle side. If it leaks…well, put a bucket under it and sleep easy.

I would still love to see the Jimmie w 419 uni adapter but it’s your product line to manage.

Cheers.
Same. Part of the beauty of it would be cleaning the adapter along with crown as well as the bore.

Reactions: kthomas

Maybe a dumb question but with the cap on and filling the barrel does the cap fill up and clean the threads and the crown? I decided this would be awesome to have specially when taking the barrels off and soaking them.

Cheers.
I've done it with silicone plugs and a leak is nasty mess. Using this approach uses the action to lock the plug into place with the bolt. It is leak proof up to 20psi, which is the equivalent of about a 38 foot long barrel (450+ inches).

I will talk to Jon and make sure he doesn't have any issue with us making an adapter that fits his threads to clean.

Same. Part of the beauty of it would be cleaning the adapter along with crown as well as the bore.
Maybe a dumb question but with the cap on and filling the barrel does the cap fill up and clean the threads and the crown? I decided this would be awesome to have specially when taking the barrels off and soaking them.
Yes, this is why I did the Jimmy first. I wanted something to clean the crown all the way back to the mouth of the chamber in one shot. Folks that won't remove brakes or devices are why I made The Plug.

The video on the website with that 223 barrel being cleaned. That was shot over 2000 rounds without cleaning the crown. After a 24 hour soak with a Jimmy the crown wiped clean with two patches on my fingers.

Having a surplus of solvent in the chemical reaction makes easy work of getting the crud off.

Reactions: Schw15
I have the area 419 attachments for my suppressor but I take it off and clean it so this will be perfect. Thank you I will be ordering one

Is there a reason I couldn’t just stick my cleaning rods into the bore to act as the jimmy stick? I use the nylon coated Dewey rods and looks like aluminum fittings at the end. I imagine they are designed to handle the chemicals???

Reactions: Rover31
Is there a reason I couldn’t just stick my cleaning rods into the bore to act as the jimmy stick? I use the nylon coated Dewey rods and looks like aluminum fittings at the end. I imagine they are designed to handle the chemicals???
I can't speak to what the rest of the Dewey rods are made of. They Jimmy Stick isn't required to make it all work, it just makes it use less solvent and allow easier pouring.

I've done it with silicone plugs and a leak is nasty mess. Using this approach uses the action to lock the plug into place with the bolt. It is leak proof up to 20psi, which is the equivalent of about a 38 foot long barrel (450+ inches).

I will talk to Jon and make sure he doesn't have any issue with us making an adapter that fits his threads to clean.

Yes, this is why I did the Jimmy first. I wanted something to clean the crown all the way back to the mouth of the chamber in one shot. Folks that won't remove brakes or devices are why I made The Plug.

The video on the website with that 223 barrel being cleaned. That was shot over 2000 rounds without cleaning the crown. After a 24 hour soak with a Jimmy the crown wiped clean with two patches on my fingers.

Having a surplus of solvent in the chemical reaction makes easy work of getting the crud off.

You guys get the blessing from Area 419 to make a deal that fits the hellfire adapters?

Reactions: TylerN
I can't speak to what the rest of the Dewey rods are made of. They Jimmy Stick isn't required to make it all work, it just makes it use less solvent and allow easier pouring.
Hi @bohem - asked this in another thread but this one is the product specific one.

I just went to order The Plug and it says "Pre-Order Now".

Does not say "Add to Cart" or "out of stock"....but indicates its not released yet. This can't be right...right?

Is this product available (Creedmoor family version) and this is just a website update issue?

Is the Jimmy GTG doing a CLR soak for 10-15 minutes?
We are talking overnight soaks to a couple days depending on the solvent. Eric Cortina lets CLR soak overnight. You can let a penetrating oil soak for days. The worry is too strong a solvent that will etch the bore. I do not know the most effective and safest solvent, but I am trying to find out.

Just want to chime in these muzzle jimmies work really well. I'm a couple hours into a boretech eliminator soak on one of my more used/abused barrels (223AI) and when I pulled the aluminum rod up a few inches you could actually see faint spirals of copper trace on the aluminum rod. Going to be interesting to see how much patches out in the morning and what it looks like in the borescope.

One word of advice: only fill the bore with solvent to about 1/2 way up the chamber, as the solvent may foam up a bit as it reacts. If you fill all the way to the breech the solvent may foam over and go into the action and possibly down your stock.

One thing that would be nice to know though Josh (@bohem )... what size viton o-rings are needed for replacement? I'll probably measure them myself and order some spares (not that these are o-rings see a lot of heat or pressure, but eventually the solvents will probably get the better of them) and I figure if you would post the info for replacement o-rings sizes for all the muzzle thread sizes that would be helpful for everyone (or make 5 or 10 packs of spare o-rings available on the website.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichi and Baron85
Just want to chime in these muzzle jimmies work really well. I'm a couple hours into a boretech eliminator soak on one of my more used/abused barrels (223AI) and when I pulled the aluminum rod up a few inches you could actually see faint spirals of copper trace on the aluminum rod. Going to be interesting to see how much patches out in the morning and what it looks like in the borescope.

One word of advice: only fill the bore with solvent to about 1/2 way up the chamber, as the solvent may foam up a bit as it reacts. If you fill all the way to the breech the solvent may foam over and go into the action and possibly down your stock.

One thing that would be nice to know though Josh (@bohem )... what size viton o-rings are needed for replacement? I'll probably measure them myself and order some spares (not that these are o-rings see a lot of heat or pressure, but eventually the solvents will probably get the better of them) and I figure if you would post the info for replacement o-rings sizes for all the muzzle thread sizes that would be helpful for everyone (or make 5 or 10 packs of spare o-rings available on the website.)
You can buy spare orings from us. They're a non-standard size.

You can buy spare orings from us. They're a non-standard size.
I too used the muzzle jimmy last night...filled bore with Eliminator...no leaks...and I'm about to go down and drain it and see what we have.

I did also buy the plug and plan to test is as I have the BA out of the chassis and scope off. Good time to try it.

One very minor comment....the Jimmy Stick is what...10 feet long! haha Ok, exaggerating but why so long? I'm going to cut it up and grind down the ends smooth. I do appreciate your throwing one in...but my oh my, that's a lot of stick.

However, I found some plastic disposable pipettes that I had ordered some time ago for something or other that worked perfectly for adding solvent to the bore.

@bohem - received your Muzzle Jimmy, The Plug, and the Jimmy Stick and I thought to make a quick report after using some of this kit the last couple of days.

1. The Muzzle Jimmy worked perfectly. I was hoping for an Area 419 Uni Adapter compatible model but I do understand why this didn't work out and, tbh, taking my uni adapters off was really no problem as I just use blue Loctite no matter what manufactures say about Rocksett or Red Loctite! haha I used Bore Tech Eliminator and had zero leaks and draining it was easy. Simple idea that nobody thought of before. Very good product, IMO.

a. Suggestion - I suggest milling a recess for the drain screw o-ring. As it stands now, if you keep screwing the drain plug hex screw in, it just pushes the o-ring and out and will dive thru the middle. A round recess to inset the o-ring a bit would prob help this. Not a biggies, just a thought.​
b. Question - the o-ring inside of the Jimmy...that seals against the muzzle thread shoulder....is too big to fit flat on the botton of the inside of the Jimmy. I'm assuming this was by intent and I didn't just get an oversized ring with my unit. Care to explain the thoughts behind this...or not! haha​
2. The Jimmy Stick - Wow, this thing is like...what...18-24" long (should have measured, sorry). Its very big. Not a problem, You give them away for free but its a bit unwieldy. I was sort of expecting maybe 8" long. I'm going to my buddy's shop this week and we will cut it up into at least 2 pieces. As I said, not a problem, just could prob save some aluminum rod stock making them shorter. I'm afraid at the full length I may not even clear the ceiling trying to get it over and into the bore.

a. It is very nice of you to give these sticks for free with a Jimmy, but I have found these disposable plastic pipettes to be the way to go in loading up the bore with solvent. Seemed easier than using the stick. Just a thought.​

3. The Plug - well, after reading @kthomas experience using the Plug with CLR on his TacOps (and wow, kthomas...I am sad this happened to that beautiful gun) I decided to be careful. I pulled the BA out of the chassis, took the scope off, put the BA into a vise with the action on the downside and angled a bit with the trigger to the high side. My thinking was if I had a leak, I didn't want it all draining into the trigger. I put in the Plug, closed the bolt, and filled the bore from the muzzle end. And, it all looked great for about 3-5 minutes then I noticed a slow leak dripping off of the tang of the action. THEN, maybe 10 minutes later I noticed that it stopped leaking!! So, I have zero idea what was/is going on. I imagine that diff chambers and diff headspace ma makes plugging from the action end with a perfect seal to be a challenge. I note that the solvent (Bore Tech Carbon Remover this time) level went down about an inch in a 6.5 mm bore so we aren't talking much fluid. I'm going to leave it overnight with a bucket under it and see if it continues to leak just a bit.

TLDR: Love the Muzzle Jimmy, it worked well. The jury is still out a bit on the Plug and its ability to seal.

Cheers

P.S. - the Plug is still sealed and not leaking. Not sure why I got a bit of drainage at first. All good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas