• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

new remington 700 sps varmint

vandev

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Hey all, new here,first post... just bought remington 700 sps varmint. stock is not free floating. got a new remington hogue overmolded from a friend that is a take off as he had a AI chassis put on. I noticed that when i put on hogue it does not sit level. if i put back action screw in it looks like it its up a bit. when i tighten the front screw it starts to pull down which to me seems like i would be stressing the action. Would it be better to use "crappy" not free floating stock until i get a better one or just wait to start breaking in until i get the proper setup. I will be using a bipod so with the hogue, caused it to touch in the front of the forend. any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks all, Chris

Re: new remington 700 sps varmint

Welcome

Try both stocks and see maybe? Mine ran ok with the hogue stock, but did tighten up noticeably once I got it in something more solid.

You can remove material from the barrel channel, especially in the very front of the stock and that will help keep it clear of the barrel off a bipod. It worked pretty well on mine.

IMHO I would open up the hogue and use it until you can get something a little sturdier. Just get out and shoot and get some practice in.

shoot it to break it in with whatever if you are one who beleivces in barrel break in.

first move is to ditch the factory stock, but mine shot around
1 1/2 moa from factory. now it is shooting 1/4-1/2 moa but that is after some serious money and handloads.

spend 200 bucks to get a decent stock for it (medallist works)and you will see immediate improvement.

if you wanna modify your stock ARCOREY here on the hide has a good tutorial on what he did to stiffen it up and free float it.

good luck, solid action and barrel you got there.

Thanks guys...ordering a scope this weekend...very tempted to just get a AI chassie now and get it over with.... If i look at other options with HS stock and removable mags as i would eventually move up to ,I am at a AI chassis price anyway.ugg..

I have the same gun...ended up putting a Bell and Carlson on it the first week I had it. To free float the factory stock all you have to do is dremel off the two small tabs at the very front of the stock right under the barrel. IMHO I wouldnt go to the trouble of trying to make the hogue fit, but rather just shoot it with the factory stock until you can afford the AICS.
My rifle is shooting around 1/2 MOA with factory 168gr AMAX match with nothing more than a stock change and adjusting the trigger down a little.

thanks bore snake...i was thinking the same....

Do not dremel off the pressure points on the factory stock. I had same gun in .223. It shot @1.5" at 100 yards in factory stock. I put it in a Hogue take off from a SPS Tactcal and it became a laser. 5/8" at 200 yards all day long.

Did the same with a .308, cut it down and it was a nice shooter (sub 1" at 100 yards). I called it my poor man's LTR.