• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes new rifle needs new scope

ofl0926

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2018
Homestead, FL
hello everyone. i am having a new custom rifle built and i am looking for a new optic for it. This is an elk rifle i am building. Glass i have been looking at are Burris veracity, nightforce shv 4-14x56, meopta meopro, swaro z5 BT, zeiss v4, tract toric 3-5x42. all input welcome. all information is below.

• What is the platform for the scope?
    • Bolt Action
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
    • 6.5prc
  • What is your intended use for the scope?
    • Hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
    • Dusk, Dawn, Mid-day
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
    • My range is capped at 500 yards
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
    • Debating SFP or FFP. Turrets are ok, zero lock.
  • What is the price range you can afford?
    • up to $1000

Reactions: Darqusoull13
Welcome to the 'hide. I am curious why Meopta Meopro and not MeoStar? It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you. Give a call if you have the time, 516-217-1000
Doug

Welcome to the 'hide. I am curious why Meopta Meopro and not MeoStar? It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you. Give a call if you have the time, 516-217-1000
Doug

Never looked at them but looking now, the meostar r2 2-12x50 seems pretty good

I just got a Bushnell Forge 3-18 for some long term eval use on my 22LR trainer. My initial impressions on it are quite good, and it's well within your price range. It's available in MIL or MOA with a FFP tree-type reticle (or SFP, but.... go FFP), locking turrets, a rugged zero stop, and solid glass.

We have Open Box Meopta Meostar R2 2-12x50 Illuminated in your choice of BDC2 or BDC3 only $1,099.99 . Never mounted, same as new. The optics are top top quality. Give a call to discuss
I will also say that Doug is fantastic to work with and a fount of knowledge. If you like old heavy metal bands from the 80's he's got some stories to tell ;) Seriously, I would not hesitate to recommend Doug for anyone looking for a new scope, in fact, I've had great experiences with all the Hide vendors. Buy from the Hide!

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
i do have a question, how big is the nightforce shv 4-14x56? i really like this scope but the objective lens size is killing me

Overall length (inches/mm) 14.8 in/376 mm
Weight (ounces/grams) 26.9 oz/763g* 28.5 oz/808g**
Mounting length (inches/mm) 5.79 in/147 mm
Front/Rear Mounting Length 2.05 in /2.00 in

Overall length (inches/mm) 14.8 in/376 mm
Weight (ounces/grams) 26.9 oz/763g* 28.5 oz/808g**
Mounting length (inches/mm) 5.79 in/147 mm
Front/Rear Mounting Length 2.05 in /2.00 in

Thanks for the info Doug.
I guess what I meant to ask is if it too big to hunt with? The overall feel of the scope is more of what I meant

Thanks for the info Doug.
I guess what I meant to ask is if it too big to hunt with? The overall feel of the scope is more of what I meant
That’s really more of personal preference, I hunt with bigger/heavier scopes than that but some would not. I used to tell myself I wouldn’t hunt with anything over 30oz but I’ve since changed that to 35oz which opens the door to a lot more scopes.

Never looked at them but looking now, the meostar r2 2-12x50 seems pretty good
hi doug
can you briefly let us know the difference? i'm sure quite a few people are wondering, including me. thx

Definitely under the budget, on my elk rifle I got one of the VX-5 3-15 and have been extremely happy with it. I'm more a fan of lighter gun packages so this is on the lighter side. Good glass, light weight, locking elevation, capped wind age, great magnification range for hunting.

Sorry, what i was asking was the dif between the r1 and r2 scopes?

R1 is a 4X zoom and has the MeoBright coating. They also have slightly dimmer “European style” 7-position reticle illumination; more intended for lowlight use, not daylight.

R2 is 6X zoom and has the MeoLux coating (top of the line, 99.8% transmission per lens surface). This also has a much more daylight visible reticle illumination with an 8 position rheostat.

R1 is a 4X zoom and has the MeoBright coating. They also have slightly dimmer “European style” 7-position reticle illumination; more intended for lowlight use, not daylight.

R2 is 6X zoom and has the MeoLux coating (top of the line, 99.8% transmission per lens surface). This also has a much more daylight visible reticle illumination with an 8 position rheostat.
thanks doug, your info is always greatly appreciated.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Is there a reason people don't recommend the Athlon Midas HMR anymore? Seems like it checks a lot of boxes for a hunting scope, and when they were first announced it was a hot topic but now I never see them mentioned anymore.

Is there a reason people don't recommend the Athlon Midas HMR anymore? Seems like it checks a lot of boxes for a hunting scope, and when they were first announced it was a hot topic but now I never see them mentioned anymore.
It is a great hunting scope. This site isn't hunting geared. Most discussions lean towards tactical

Reactions: Jexx
It is a great hunting scope. This site isn't hunting geared. Most discussions lean towards tactical
That makes sense, even though a lot of posts (including this one) have people asking for hunting scopes, it just surprises me it's not recommended more.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but while on the subject of Midas HMR, do you know if the HMR uses the same glass as the Midas TAC and BTR?

That makes sense, even though a lot of posts (including this one) have people asking for hunting scopes, it just surprises me it's not recommended more.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but while on the subject of Midas HMR, do you know if the HMR uses the same glass as the Midas TAC and BTR?
yes, same optics

Reactions: Jexx