• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes new riflescope from DARPA

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
DARPA putting scopes that 'see' wind turbulence into the hands of snipers
<span style="font-style: italic">By Joseph L. Flatley
posted May 26th 2010 10:51AM</span>

100526-oneshot-01.jpg

It's been years since DARPA put out its original RFI for a "one shot" sniper system, and if you're the type that prefers to kill at extremely long ranges we have some great news for you. The program, which is developing laser scopes that detect and compensate for wind, seems to be somewhat on track (which must really freak DARPA out). It was hoped that the technology would let shooters take down targets at 2,000 meters while enduring forty mile-per-hour crosswinds. Currently, we're looking at something like 1,100 meters and eighteen mile-per-hour winds -- still no mean feat. The next step? To get fifteen field-testable prototypes into the hands of soldiers by next year, to the tune of $7 million.

Re: new riflescope from DARPA

sounds like the scope from the last Bob Lee Swagger book I read, ISniper. Very good read BTW

Re: new riflescope from DARPA

Agree with the read on the book, but there were some obvious liberties with names and initials to not really hide about whom the author was writing (not a bit subtle those)...that irked me a bit...