• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos New Savage BAT/S

Re: New Savage BAT/S

why would anyone buy anything else? definately need range and field handling results. (hear it's heavy, but friendly, and the usual savage accuracy).

why would anyone buy anything else?

No question that they are good accurate rifles, but I can't get past the stock contour, the ugly floppy (shroud?) and that straight bolt handle.

A rifle is not a tractor, looks count to this old geezer.

url]

mr. humble,

that's a classic and seductive design, i believe the bat/s has a deferent function / purpose in mind.....with user creature comforts

and helping the "AR-15" generation adapt to a boltgun

Sadly, I got the rifle ~2.5 weeks before the match, so load development time was... rushed, to say the least. It would be more accurate to say incomplete. Therefore I didn't retain many test targets. The overall accuracy, out of the box, is around .35" for a 5 round group at 100 yards. This is for Berger 175 grain loads flying at reasonable velocities. For 155.5 grain Berger loads (jumping .075"), the accuracy may end up being even better, but I didn't have time before the match to fully wring out the load. At 600 yards (on a reasonably calm evening), 13 of 24 of the 175 grain shots were inside a 3" "X" ring, 7 others were slightly lower, in the "10" ring. Two shots were blown around 3.5 to 4.5" right, into the "9" ring, and the remaining two were about 4 to 4.75" low at 6:00.

The rifle is on the heavy side, especially with a 5.5-22x Nightforce on top, but the balance is not unreasonable, slung up in a kneeling position, the rifle is exceedingly stable. The Canadian match was heavy on weirdball position shooting; off rooftops, through windows, out of foxholes, even prone without bipod (sling only). I was quite happy with the rifle over the course of the 2 day match.

I can't wait to get back from England and Ireland to fully work up some killer loads for the rifle, although after 3+ weeks of shooting over there, I *might* be ready for a break.
laugh.gif

As "neat" as it looks..... I don't think those stocks are going to hold up to hard use.

I'm a savage fan and tell new shooters thats what they should buy, but that is a weak link in my opinion. They should have made the buttstock a bit more substantial. I would end up cracking/breaking that puppy.

I also found that with a proper trigger press, my knuckle on my firing side finger came in contact with the bolt knob.... easily remedied, but something for guys with large hands to think about.

The great out of the box accuracy that savage offers is a plus though. Good to see that someone is getting some field time out of one of these new gems.

i'm not sure, but i think you can replace it with your choice of collapsible stock. sure for the $ you pay for it you want it all to be right for you, but if you have any doubts, i think you can swap it out.

i think that goes for the grip also

Darrell what all can be removed from the stock??? I would like to see one stripped down.

I like a Savage also,but I'm with Russ on the stock....

If it were me.....

Buy the "Blacktical" savage of your choice.

Throw that Bizzo in a McCree and rock it.

Ofcourse you agree with me SW..... always tryin' to hang with the cool kids.....haha, how are ya?

Did you do anything to stiffen up the cheekpiece slider on that picatinny rail? Mine is aweful

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darrell what all can be removed from the stock??? I would like to see one stripped down.

I like a Savage also,but I'm with Russ on the stock.... </div></div>

I've beeen reading up on these for a while. From what I know, with the AR platform being so popular these days, Savage wanted to incorporate some of those featuresinto their new model.
The stock shown, and included is the command arms CBS stock with ACP(adjustable cheek piece), Which I have on my AR-15.
Savage designed the model to work with any AR type stock.
Either a carbine or rifle length buffer tube can be used, since the buffer and spring are not required.
The pistol grip is also interchangeable with any AR pistol grip, although I personally like the one they chose.
The palm rest is adjustable to fit the user, and makes for a easily repeatable hand position, although I've heard some people with large hands say the grip is too small for them.
For a replacement butt-stock, my pick would be the Magpul PRS.