• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Schmidt & Bender PM2 6-36x56

The DT27 is the “better” low profile turret, the DT35 is abysmal, clicks are way too close, easy to miss and over travel, MTC too hard so you go over/under by .2-.3 almost every time.
I wasn’t even thinking about the MTC thing (I’ve turned it off on my 5-25 w/DTII+).

So I’m guessing that you cannot turn off the MTC on the DT27 and DT35? If so, that is a huge turnoff. I suppose Jerry could remove it?

On of the issues I have always liked about S&B is they have been around for a long time. A bunch of competitors, while driving innovation, are a bit more of leap of faith that they will be around in a decade. My service life for this high end optics is 10+ years (I'm still using a Premier 5-25x that I bought in 2012-ish, maybe?). TT and ZCO are doing amazing stuff, and are pressing the competition to respond, but I still remember USO and Premier having a similar role. Those two aren't here now to support their products, like S&B is for a 5-25x that was bought in 2012. (You could say that USO is still around, but it ain't the same company as the one that was in Brea CA in the early 2000's.)

Interesting to hear the positive reviews/opinions of GR2ID. Anyone that is interested, I found this article on the design history and philosophy:

Reviewing old Hide opinions on GR2ID and its kind of mixed... I guess people's opinions have improved since it was introduced with some fans now.

Reactions: clonebuilder
On of the issues I have always liked about S&B is they have been around for a long time. A bunch of competitors, while driving innovation, are a bit more of leap of faith that they will be around in a decade. My service life for this high end optics is 10+ years (I'm still using a Premier 5-25x that I bought in 2012-ish, maybe?). TT and ZCO are doing amazing stuff, and are pressing the competition to respond, but I still remember USO and Premier having a similar role. Those two aren't here now to support their products, like S&B is for a 5-25x that was bought in 2012. (You could say that USO is still around, but it ain't the same company as the one that was in Brea CA in the early 2000's.)

Interesting to hear the positive reviews/opinions of GR2ID. Anyone that is interested, I found this article on the design history and philosophy:

Reviewing old Hide opinions on GR2ID and its kind of mixed... I guess people's opinions have improved since it was introduced with some fans now.
I think a lot of those were from pre-release before people got behind them.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I wasn’t even thinking about the MTC thing (I’ve turned it off on my 5-25 w/DTII+).

So I’m guessing that you cannot turn off the MTC on the DT27 and DT35? If so, that is a huge turnoff. I suppose Jerry could remove it?
Correct, you cannot turn MTC off on DT27/35. Possible Schmidt service center can??? MTC is much better on DT II+ and I prefer to leave it on.

FOV and eyebox..I find the S&B better than the TT..

200.gif

Outstanding

One thing that was pointed out to me by an individual....
The Euro version.....which we get in Aus....has a different FOV to the US version?

I am trying to confirm with S&B the reason for this. If it is what I think, I will go absolutely "scorched earth" against the culprit.

ILya

I am trying to confirm with S&B the reason for this. If it is what I think, I will go absolutely "scorched earth" against the culprit.

ILya
is it an actual difference or something else? That second part makes it seem like something else.

S&B lists a different "usa" field of view number for several models, and I've always wondered about that, because they don't provide enough info to understand the difference in the specs.

Most manufacturers list fov in meters at 100 meters and fov in yards at 100 yards, but the tech specs on S&Bs website list the fov in meters for both the euro and usa specs, so it doesn't appear to simply be providing the fov in yards at 100 yards with a simple unit error on the USA specs.

From the 6-36 tech specs on S&Bs website:
Screenshot_20230726-190641__01.jpg

Here's the fov specs on the tech specs for the new 3-18x42 where they provide the fov in degrees as well as meters/100m and feet/100y, but again, the USA specs are different...

Screenshot_20230726-191531__01.jpg

Very interested to finally get an explanation about the difference in FOV specs, as it's a pretty significant difference for the USA specs.

Last edited:
about the same for both per the websites.
About 9% less. Fairly significant for 2x the cost. 😂

Count me out. I’ll just take a theta.
I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much. I get favorable deals and the Schmidt was over $1K cheaper to my door, but giving up FoV for no good reason is always a loser.

Guess we know why Schmidt dropped the price like they did. 😆

About 9% less. Fairly significant for 2x the cost. 😂

I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much. I get favorable deals and the Schmidt was over $1K cheaper to my door, but giving up FoV for no good reason is always a loser.

Guess we know why Schmidt dropped the price like they did. 😆
Am disappoint. Back to the drawing board i guess.

It is an actual FOV difference.

ILya
Why would they do this..?

Unless there is some legal causes that prohibits S&B from selling the EU equivalent in the US it does not make any sense to me..

Developing a product equal or better than the competition, and then offering an inferior version to a big part of its market..

The scope is sold in EU countries for the same or less than the US version, I refuse to believe it is to «save» on the models sold in the US.

Curios to see what S&B offers of information(if any)on this topic, if the reason does not show this being an «out of there hands» decision, the costs to theyre reputation might be..👎🏻

Just goes to show, know what you’re buying and don’t be an early adopter.
Well…guess i gotta do the thing and get a 525P. Thankfully stocking dealer prices are aight…

Shame, the glass was unreal on the 6-36es but unless they get this fixed, nonstarter

Reactions: Krob95
Just goes to show, know what you’re buying and don’t be an early adopter.
Look man, some of us are at that point in life where we have the maturity and patience to raise troubled scopes, have plenty experience with raising our own scopes, and can provide a loving family for them.

Last edited:

ILya
I would like to be a fly on the wall when you go "scorched earth". Interesting you mention "the culprit" as if you know who was responsible for this. The bigger question is why, so will be curious to hear what you find out. Those big FOV numbers were something that initially drew me to the Schmidt 6-36, but if they are crippling the US version of the scope then I agree with others - I'll pass as wide FOV is a big necessity for me.

I hereby dub this brouhaha “FOVgate”.

It’s like a minor version of VW’s dieselgate scandal, only instead of outright lying, the dirty truth is an innocuous line-item on a spreadsheet.

I’m also curious on how this FOV reduction was technically accomplished. And I sense some price reductions on US 6-36 S&B’s in the future lol.

• Haha
Reactions: JER6.5
I don’t get it, wth would they make a different version for each side of the pond?
From a economic perspective it doesn’t make any sense, unless it has something to do with parts being manufactured stateside to a inferior spec, and in that case, why even bother bringing it to market and risking tarnishing their reputation?

Took a look at S&B website at the newer/updated models, 6-36, 5-20, 5-25 and 10-60.
Only the 6-36 and 10-60 has different FOV numbers specified for the US models, these are completely new designs compared to the other two. Seems like they are designing US specific models of the new scopes🤔

Again, really curios as to why..
Producing two different models of the same scope must be resource demanding and again, makes no sense..

Like asked above, how do they technically alter the FOV on an otherwise identical scope?

IMG_4937.jpeg
IMG_4939.png
IMG_4938.png
IMG_4940.png

Reactions: clonebuilder